They got

- High HP pool

- Strong damage output with defensive amulets

- Several stealths

- Up to 3 stunbreaks, all with great effects

- Insane mobility with Superspeed/GS3

- Blocks and evades

- A potent healing skill with low cooldown in Troll Unguent

- The potential to easily survive +1 situations and create outnumbered situations on the rest of the map

Once Prot Holo is nerfed they will become the most oppressive sidenode spec in the meta by far, because not a single duelist class will be able to contest them

Edited by snoow.1694
  • Like 6
  • Haha 3

I started playing condi soulbeast after the changes, damage-wise I dont think it matters, bleeds last for like 15s and get cleansed, and if someone cant cleanse 15s bleed they will die with or without a buff.
BUT superspeed change is actually huge, griffon stance is very easy 10s of superspeed, this can make csoulbeast decent at kiting, which it lacked before.
Its nowhere near as good as prot holo as it has many issues
1 its condition build
2 lack of CC
3 lack of ways to deal with heavy CC
But its good

23 hours ago, Trevor Boyer.6524 said:

No. Core Ranger won't be anything. It's way too nerfed at this point.

Condi Soulbeast on the other hand is pumping out some damage after shortbow buff. We'll have to see how it pans out first before crying OP though. There are still better side node classes than Soulbeast.

Valk Core with Drake has turned into the most spammed sidenode build in ranked recently, since people trained with the spec for MightyTeapots HoT tournament, in which it basically 1v1‘ed every single class, because Prot Holo wasn‘t allowed.

It is not even a debate, once Prot Holo is gone it won‘t have a single bad match-up, bc the spec has the mentioned defensive capabilities while hitting like a Berserker in addition to 7K crits by the pet. It is beyond broken

Edited by snoow.1694
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 1

42 minutes ago, snoow.1694 said:

Valk Core with Drake has turned into the most spammed sidenode build in ranked recently, since people trained with the spec for MightyTeapots HoT tournament, in which it basically 1v1‘ed every single class, because Prot Holo wasn‘t allowed.

It is not even a debate, once Prot Holo is gone it won‘t have a single bad match-up, bc the spec has the mentioned defensive capabilities while hitting like a Berserker in addition to 7K crits by the pet. It is beyond broken

That is not true at all.

1. I haven't seen a single Ranger using a drake in ranked this season so I dunno what any of this is. If a ranger was using drake and I missed it, it was so unimpactful that I didn't notice.
  2. Drakes suck. If someone is getting hit by tail swipe, they deserve it.
  3. Prot Holo may have been banned in a 1v1 tournament but it isn't banned in ranked. Rangers can't get Prot Holos off nodes in ranked. If they do somehow manage to decap it over the course of time, it isn't worth the time to do, big waste of rotation time & point ticks.
  4. Prot Holos, Fire Weavers, even Scourges, win 1v1s on side nodes vs Core Ranger. Conquest node hold is a lot different than 1v1 kiting. Core Rangers don't hold nodes in this patching man.
  5. If Prot Holo is nerfed into oblivion we'll still have Fire Weavers and Scourges and Core Rangers still won't be able to hold nodes.
  6. Valkyrie does not hit like Berserker outside of 3 attacks it gets on GS side once per 18s intervals with sigil of intelligence.
  7. Valkyrie has no toughness stack and no heal stat. It may have front loaded health pool but that build will get absolute garbage canned against any high power damage pressure. 100% guarantee you.

I don't know what happened in this Teapot tourney or who was playing in it, but something doesn't seem right there with this Drake Valk build. That sounds like bologna to me. I'll believe it when a Drake Ranger shows ups in-game and displays this magically game breaking build structure to me.

@snoow.1694 I just looked up that teapot tourney you were talking about. Dude that was a Core & HoT only tournament. The only reason people were playing Core Ranger with a Drake is because they had no access to anything else, Spellbreakers weren't in play, Renegades weren't in play, Holo no in play, Soulbeast not in play, no Weavers, no Scourges, no Mirages.

Guarantee you Core Ranger Valk Drake is bad in normal game patching when everything PoF is incorporated. Without PoF though, I can see how Core Ranger would definitely be the strongest side node REGARDLESS of the pet that it used. But you cannot use this closed example of Vanilla & HoT only to discuss current game balance. That's not even remotely within the ballpark of realistic.

I wouldn‘t compare it to Prot Holo, but I know what you are trying to say. The sustain coupled with the damage are for sure problematic and I can see it being the dominant 1v1 build after Holos get nerfed, not sure if I would call it broken though. I agree that pet damage modifiers across the board should be adjusted, because some of them hit harder and move faster than actual players. 

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, LuRkEr.9462 said:

If prot holo gets nerfed it will likely be weaver who takes over the side noding (they are already 2nd best.)  A good weaver is extremely hard to kill and does good damage, though there isn't as many good weavers as holos.

Weavers also counter all ranger builds on node, all of them.

That's why I don't understand this thread. There is so much gun jumping misinformation going on in here it's crazy.

• Like 3

21 hours ago, Paradoxoglanis.1904 said:

Core valk is one of the strongest duelists right now but its not really broken. The only thing i would consider changing immediately is the cooldown on lightning reflexes. 24s traited for one of the best stun breaks in the game is a bit short.

Yeah, maybe in the world of core/HoT only.

It sucks in PoF patching. Despite what people are saying in this thread, I have still yet to see anyone running Core Ranger Valk Drake in any ranked or AT games.

This thread is full of nonsense honestly.

• Confused 1

1 minute ago, Trevor Boyer.6524 said:

It sucks in PoF patching. Despite what people are saying in this thread, I have still yet to see anyone running Core Ranger Valk Drake in any ranked or AT games.

I have seen bunch of drake rangers. they use smoke/drake as drake is much tankier and usually lives long enough against weaver to switch the pet before it dies, but its mostly for its F2 that hits like 8-10k and not the tailswipe lol
Its something between jaracanda and tiger

2 minutes ago, Leonidrex.5649 said:

I have seen bunch of drake rangers. they use smoke/drake as drake is much tankier and usually lives long enough against weaver to switch the pet before it dies, but its mostly for its F2 that hits like 8-10k and not the tailswipe lol
Its something between jaracanda and tiger

Well I've got news for these kids who are on the drake train. It sucks.

Electric Wyvern is in every way better. It has faster autos, he hits like twice per 1 strike of the drake, just as tanky or tankier than drake, and it has 2x CCs that setup for LB4 decaps. The more CC you stack between both pets, the less damage the ranger takes and the easier it is to land LB4 GS4 knocbacks and to setup for Maul into Hilt into Maul finishing strikes.

I don't know who these people are who are getting hit by slow drake strikes but they deserve it and I don't feel bad for them.

Just now, Trevor Boyer.6524 said:

Go over to EU, there are a lot more good rangers over there. Also watch Boyce or Rom stream, they play core ranger a lot.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Paradoxoglanis.1904 said:

Go over to EU, there are a lot more good rangers over there. Also watch Boyce or Rom stream, they play core ranger a lot.

Oh please.

Unless they've figured out some strange bug to exploit or some otherwise incredibly inobvious way to wield a Drake, the Drake sucks dude. I don't know what else to tell you. I don't care how good or bad a player is, Drakes suck and there are better options.

Edited by Trevor Boyer.6524
  • Confused 2

Just now, Trevor Boyer.6524 said:

Oh please.

Unless they've figured out some strange bug to exploit or some otherwise incredibly inobvious way to wield a Drake, the Drake sucks dude. I don't know what else to tell you. I don't care how good or bad a player is, Drakes suck and there are better options.

Oh, i wasnt talking about drake. I usually see core rangers run smoke & jac.

• Like 1

To be honest, I'd rather have weaver/soulbeast being the dominant sidenoders than have holos, renegades, various flavours of necro, in that role. Because at least they suck at TF, rather than being useful everywhere and always. Likewise I'm fairly at-peace with guardian sucking on sidenode, since it is always valuable in TF.

Edited by Ragnar.4257
  • Like 3

3 hours ago, Trevor Boyer.6524 said:

Oh please.

People who will copy it now probably have no idea either so not sure we will have the answer. If I have to guess this is to increase your defenses (maybe). At least this is why I was suggesting to pick drake after the February patch even if the chances to hit with it are (really really) low.

Edited by aymnad.9023

4 hours ago, Trevor Boyer.6524 said:

Weavers also counter all ranger builds on node, all of them.

That's why I don't understand this thread. There is so much gun jumping misinformation going on in here it's crazy.

Seriously? Like are u Seriously serious about being serious that u are confused why there's players jumping the gun, especially when calling out classes/builds as op in gw2 forums?

That's like 90% of posts in pvp & wvw sections.

7 minutes ago, Psycoprophet.8107 said:

Seriously? Like are u Seriously serious about being serious that u are confused why there's players jumping the gun, especially when calling out classes/builds as op in gw2 forums?

That's like 90% of posts in pvp & wvw sections.

Yeah but usually it's over something that is actually kind of confusing.

The things being said in this thread are just an abstraction of the game's physics entirely.