Longbow could use an update/revision.

Panncakez.1290

1 hour ago, Obtena.7952 said:

I mean, if you think my assumption is wrong, then just tell me what YOU think Anet's intent was with the Lbow. That's something we can talk about and it's something we can use as the basis of whether the OP's suggestions are reasonable or not. Just telling me I'm wrong doesn't do either of those things. OP's trying to paint the picture Lbow 'doesn't have a purpose' ... that's just a dishonest approach to convincing people it needs to change.

I believe, that the idea behind LB was much simpler - a range power damage weapon. Or, to be more precise, the long range stationary artillery turret (it was the shortbow that was meant for ranged mobility). That's why Barrage cannot be used while moving. And that's why Hunter's shot did not apply stealth initially.

Of course that did not work (because, surprise surprise, neither mobs nor players were stupid enough to stay and engage with pet leaving you safe to shoot from distance), which is why LB required many, many, many changes in order to eventually become decent. Still, that is not due to repurposing it. It's due to fixing/improving its skills one by one, completely separately. With no overall vision to guide it beyond "let's make that weapon useable"

Edited by Astralporing.1957
  • Like 1

45 minutes ago, Astralporing.1957 said:

I believe, that the idea behind LB was much simpler - a range power damage weapon. Or, to be more precise, the long range stationary artillery turret (it was the shortbow that was meant for ranged mobility). That's why Barrage cannot be used while moving. And that's why Hunter's shot did not apply stealth initially.

Of course that did not work (because, surprise surprise, neither mobs nor players were stupid enough to stay and engage with pet leaving you safe to shoot from distance), which is why LB required many, many, many changes in order to eventually become decent. Still, that is not due to repurposing it. It's due to fixing/improving its skills one by one, completely separately. With no overall vision to guide it beyond "let's make that weapon useable"

I think it's hardly coincidental that the skills on LBow are ideally suited to maintaining range advantage. Even if Lbow was not intended for that purpose originally, or has some OTHER purpose, it's still wrong of the OP to feign ignorance about what that purpose is to try to demonstrate LBow is just some deficient mess that needs upgrades. 

Regardless, the point here isn't to debate what I believe is the purpose. My point is that the Lbow, whatever it is DOES have a purpose. Therefore the view of the OP that it doesn't as a reason to buff it is nonsensical.

Edited by Obtena.7952
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, UmbraNoctis.1907 said:

Nobody has to stand at 1500 range just because a longbow is equipped.

RF + Barrage offer great burst - lb is actually meta for power slb in short or quick phasing encounters in PvE (sustained dps is better with gs tho).

Ranger's LB is one of the better and more versatile weapons in the game with viability almost anywhere. There are plenty of weapons that are way more niche and limited in their use.

I think it's meta because for short/quick encounters you can stand at 1500 and blow your entire bar (sic' em SB style) and do great damage.  

At least that's what I see repeatedly in open world, and sure it's a use, but not one that really promotes thoughtful play.  

14 minutes ago, Gotejjeken.1267 said:

I think it's meta because for short/quick encounters you can stand at 1500 and blow your entire bar (sic' em SB style) and do great damage.  

At least that's what I see repeatedly in open world, and sure it's a use, but not one that really promotes thoughtful play.  

Idk why you keep insisting on sitting at 1,5k range. That's not how you have to play with lb. Seeing it happening in open world is irrelevant. You'll see all kinds of nonsense there, doesn't mean that's the best way to go.

3 minutes ago, UmbraNoctis.1907 said:

Idk why you keep insisting on sitting at 1,5k range. That's not how you have to play with lb. Seeing it happening in open world is irrelevant. You'll see all kinds of nonsense there, doesn't mean that's the best way to go.

I don't see why anyone would play differently when there are traits to increase damage the farther you are out from a target, and besides the farther you are away means they can't hit you without using some gap closer, so it's a win-win.  

I mentioned open world as we were on the subject of PvE, and as far as I'm aware no one really uses LB in raids/fractals as there are better weapons for sustained DPS there.  

If we switch to something like WvW then LB is almost always used at extreme range--the sic' em SB is literally meta for this exact reason.  Whether you are ganking or +1'ing with it, there is no benefit for being any closer than max range.  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Gotejjeken.1267 said:

I don't see why anyone would play differently when there are traits to increase damage the farther you are out from a target, and besides the farther you are away means they can't hit you without using some gap closer, so it's a win-win.

5 % and some aa dmg are not worth the loss of grp support. In organized grps players want to be stacked in melee range 99% of the time. This includes rangers with lb.

I mentioned open world as we were on the subject of PvE, and as far as I'm aware no one really uses LB in raids/fractals as there are better weapons for sustained DPS there.  

And that's where you are wrong. LB does have it's use in instanced PvE. Not always and everywhere (as it shouldn't), but especially in good grps it is better than gs for most fractals and some raid encounters.

If we switch to something like WvW then LB is almost always used at extreme range--the sic' em SB is literally meta for this exact reason.  Whether you are ganking or +1'ing with it, there is no benefit for being any closer than max range.  

That's because almost every ranger want's to roleplay as legolas and pew pews from walls or from behind a zerg. When playing to the classes' strength - (solo) roaming - you can't stay at max range very often tho. And you don't have to, if you know how to use the weapon as well as the rest of a ranger's kit effectively.

The problem with lb isn't the weapon itself - it is the players, that give it (and the entire class tbh) a bad reputation.

On 7/12/2021 at 9:53 AM, Astralporing.1957 said:

I always felt ranger was a layered damage class and LB was/is a layered damage weapon.  LB 5 to LB 2 while stacking bleeds on crit while trailing a steaming mass of spirits buffing damage and adding flame procs for example(It was a fun thing).... It worked ok as layered damage depending on other defensive factors different buffs and tweaks added and removed over time.  Problem has always been achieving damage with enough defense as the dependence on layered damage from procs as well as pets spreads you stat thin... 

Perceptual damage delivery.  Rangers can place a decent amount of damage down and perceptually cause it to engage an opponent in a finite period of time.    Lie in wait and set it up with traps and when spirits were mobile in a mobile artillery package.