EoD is a $30 Patch.....

On 8/20/2021 at 1:40 AM, Faridah.8431 said:

I'm more mixed on it as a GW1 veteran, but recognize it's a different game.

In GW1, they didn't do "expansions", they did campaigns. Basically that meant each campaign was technically a stand-alone game by itself, or you could of course add it to an existing account as a sort of "expansion". What was nice is that Factions and Nightfall were both completely new continents (Cantha, Elona), new stories, new end-game, new systems (like heroes), each added two new professions to the core list, etc. Once they decided they wanted to do GW2, they scrapped their next campaign (Utopia), and made an expansion in Eye of the North to bridge the two games and introduce races like the Asura, and the Destroyers.

Scope wise, they always felt far bigger to me than GW2's expansions, and I guess they would be as standalone games. But again, different game, so its a bit hard to compare apple to oranges here. I'm excited we're finally getting a new continent with EoD, I just hope it's more than here's your 4 maps that may or may not get expanded upon in LW.

I think GW2's biggest issue is that thee studio did a lot of experimentation (hence a year and a half of full development just gone (LWS1). They've experimented with how to do LWS from 2 week sprints in LWS2, to longer intervals and new maps each release with LWS3 and 4, to starting with the idea of an expansion level LWS (IBS), but we all know that idea got scrapped and EoD development started.

GW1 they were called expansions.. I was there everyone called them expansions.

If fishing, fishing boat and war turtle are EoD biggest features, I will not be buying it soon. Maybe even not at all. These two years, every thing ANet pushed out is not up to expectations. From skins to contents to balance (nerf) patch, all are disappointments after disappointments. Even this year 9th birthday present, I know it will be a let down compared to previous year because of the silence treatment from them, and true enough. Sigh. Lately ANet only delivers watered-down version of every thing. What happened? The original team never really come back?

Edited by Mil.3562

Only thing Id love to see is some sort of progression that is not mastery levels. I can already see farming TD, pinata will remain a core thing to do if you want a chance of big money even after EoD launches and as legendary items will remain the best in slot, I just wish something else would get implemented to make it worthwhile to do other events/stuff.

I'll reserve my judgement until it hits close to launch, because there could very well be more they unveil between now and February 2022. But to a degree I understand the OP's feeling on this, and it does make a point considering first feature expansion reveals are normally the biggest features to sell people on to pre-purchase(I did). 

It's 30 eur, what I make in an hour and my country is somewhere in the middle by the average income. It's a decent meal in a restaurant or a casual night out with friends. It's worth it, it will give me more than enough fun for the money spent.

It's funny when you see people that play the game "since beta" (freaking 9 years lol) calling others anet fanboys, enablers, whatever because they spend a little bit of money on the game.  

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Azure Prower.8701 said:

Looks like Dante outed themselves in not playing GW1 pre-GW2.

Different dante, but it may down to when and what language one grew up with.

I certainly called them expansions, that was the term all content released after the initial release was known by for any game, in my house, and to me.  Factions and Nightfall? expansions, EOTN? expansion, though i remember some calling it a DLC.

Oh, and jumping to "they dont call them the same thing, they CLEARLY didnt play GW1 before GW2 was released!! GOTCHA", is a joke.

7 hours ago, Linken.6345 said:

How can it be an expanion when you dont need the other parts of the game at all?

Only expansion it ever had was eye of the north right

Different folks grew up with different language, see above.

3 hours ago, The Greyhawk.9107 said:

I was also there and a plurality of people knew the difference between the GW campaigns and the singular expansion.  Anet certainly said it often enough for people to know better.

Some did, sure, but it probably depended on where you existed and what content you did. I dont remember many ever calling it a campaign. i do remember alot of people talking about expansions and DLC however.

• Thanks 1