Underwater Gear Poll

Underwater Gear Poll  

131 members have voted

1. 1. Looking at your main-character(s), are they equipped with ...

• level 2-80 white/blue/green/yellow underwater weapons?
    • exotic underwater weapons?
    • ascended underwater weapons?
    • legendary underwater weapons?
    • proper sigils on those weapons?
    • level 2-79 aquabreather from any Renown Heart vendor?
    • gavbeorn aquabreather?
    • yellow aquabreather?
    • exotic aquabreather?
    • ascended aquabreather?
    • proper rune on that aquabreather?
    • swimspeed infusion on that ascended aquabreather?
    • none of the above
  2. 2. With this new awareness, do you intend to change anything?

• yes
    • no

I think the 7th rune on the breathing apparatus would be a great idea, I never thought about this before.

I would definitely love a legendary version, one that possibly covers the whole face without revealing any part of it. I don't like my face to be revealed.

Edited by Touchme.1097
Grammar correction

Almost all my characters have decent exotic underwater gear, for the sake of peace of mind. Getting yoinked into water in Ember Bay with lvl 10 spear that one time still gives me the creeps. So for the sake of survivality, exotic lvl 80. Random runes, random sigils. 
Even then, and even after the skill overhaul, I avoid water like the plague. Mix of everything dying like flies and me dying like a fly. 

Props on the last question. I intend to do absolutely nothing with this awareness :^) 

Edit: Asked a friend for their thoughts on the matter: 
"My underwater gear is the last thing I ever change, if I ever do"

"I have exotic if I ever remember to actually buy something"
"the whole game is 'water is lava' "

Edited by Ninutra.7926
  • Haha 1

I really hope for DSD themed underwater legendaries and aquabreather in EoD.

Not made gen 1 as not fond of the skins, was holding out for at least one alternative and EoD seems like the right time to introduce them. Given they are doing all 16 land weapons in one theme, it can't be too much of a stretch to hope for 3 more - even if not part of the Aurene theme.

And aquabreather would be nice, even if using a legendary rune on it anyway.

Because I am usually frustrated with underwater combat, my three main characters have ascended breathers and ascended weapons. I want to minimize the frustration as much as possible. They have runes and sigils as well.

I didn't know about swim speed infusions. There's a slot in my bank filled with ornate rusted keys which (like several things in my bank) were waiting for the day I decide to google what they are for. Now I'm trying to decide whether it it worth dooing a run of sunken chests just to give a 10% swim speed boost to my mains.

If EOD is going to have a lot of water, which it looks like, I'd really like them to add more underwater weapons. It'd be nice to actually have a choice of which ones go best with our builds.

18 hours ago, ASP.8093 said:

The idea is that you don't need the extra AR since there's no underwater Fractals above level 90.

(And the extra swim speed is actually at least moderately desirable in Underwater Ruins.)

It's not the AR that I wanted. It was the additional Condi damage. As I said before, having a fully tricked out skimmer makes swim speed infusions much less desirable to me. Anything that I don't want to engage, I don't have to.

2 hours ago, Infusion.7149 said:

Can't use skimmer in fractals.

Can't use them in WvW either. It doesn't happen very often but every once in a while an enemy will jump in the water to try getting away.  That doesn't help them if I'm around. A condi Herald with a full kit of legendary/ascended trailblazer gear and a +20 swim-speed infusion is hard to escape from underwater, even if it's being run by an old, slow player like me.  🙂

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Eraden.8740 said:

It's not for fractals. As I said in an earlier post, I do most of my underwater work in Orr, Bitterfrost and Sandswept Isles.

Ok, but, in conclusion: the swim speed infusion is preferable over an additional ~0.2% damage when you're min/maxing for doing hard stuff underwater.

1 hour ago, ASP.8093 said:

Ok, but, in conclusion: the swim speed infusion is preferable over an additional ~0.2% damage when you're min/maxing for doing hard stuff underwater.

Perhaps for you, but for me, outside of fractals and WvW (which to be honest I don't engage in), the swim speed infusion has no appreciable value. My skimmer allows me to get to places much MUCH faster (and safer too) and allows me to choose when and what I will be doing combat with. I'm not saying the swim speed infusion is objectively bad. As some of you have noted, for particular applications it can be useful. Just not for me. That extra 0.2% damage is actually better utility for me than a swim speed infusion.

• Like 1