Swimsuits; The Gold Standard [Merged]

Swimsuit Poll!  

388 members have voted

1. 1. Do you think Anet should add the Faren and Kasmeer swimwear outfits from Southsun?

• Yes.
    • Si.
    • Ja.
    • Sí.
    • No - Sike, just kidding, of course they should.

I just think swimsuits should be added as their own thing. If you want to play on the beach then you equip them, they have no stats you dont skin them over armor you just put them on by themselves.  

And also people sayin swimsuits shouldn't be in the game cuz it "breaks immersion", ya'll obviously never played GW1 with Monk or Necros.

I guess because I never played GW I dont get this? What has this got to do with swimsuits?

Edited by Zuldari.3940

14 minutes ago, Zuldari.3940 said:

I just think swimsuits should be added as their own thing. If you want to play on the beach then you equip them, they have no stats you dont skin them over armor you just put them on by themselves.  

I guess because I never played GW I dont get this? What has this got to do with swimsuits?

Gallery of female necromancer Scar Pattern armor - Guild Wars Wiki (GWW)

Gallery of male necromancer Scar Pattern armor - Guild Wars Wiki (GWW)

Gallery of female monk Dragon armor - Guild Wars Wiki (GWW)

Gallery of male monk Dragon armor - Guild Wars Wiki (GWW)

Gallery of female monk Star armor - Guild Wars Wiki (GWW)

Gallery of male monk Star armor - Guild Wars Wiki (GWW)

Gallery of female monk Flowing armor - Guild Wars Wiki (GWW)

Gallery of male monk Flowing armor - Guild Wars Wiki (GWW)

Gallery of female monk Labyrinthine armor - Guild Wars Wiki (GWW)

Gallery of male monk Labyrinthine armor - Guild Wars Wiki (GWW)

Not quite sure what you mean by swimsuits being "as their own thing"; that's basically the system we already have with the changing tents/diving goggles.  Problem with that is that it counts as a transformation, which means you can't ride mounts, use chairs, etc.  And they're not dyable.  It also doesn't solve the problem I, for one, have of the current outfits and armor being ridiculously inappropriate for use in the water.  Frankly, they could translate any of the above armors into outfits and just release that, and I'd be happy.  Or just make "aquatic armor", if that makes Anet and some people here happy... as long as that armor is appropriate for swimming and underwater combat.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Zuldari.3940 said:

Lyssia pretty much beat me to it with the Necro and Monk looks. It was easy to find Necros on speedos/bikinis as well as Monks in loincloths back in GW1.

Even the other professions had some skin exposed armour sets, some professions moreso than others. Though I wouldn't really consider them "swimwear" except for maybe the Elite Druid set for female Rangers because that was essentially a bikini wear with some leaves and twigs here and there. 

Why ANet hasn't made any genuine swimsuit outfits/sets in GW2 will always remain a mystery to me considering how far they went with GW1's armour design on skin exposure for both male and female characters. GW2 needs swimsuit even more than the first game as well since 4 of the 5 races have unique racial characteristics on their body that only gets showcased on skin exposed outfits/armour pieces and there's barely any of those right now. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, ChronoPinoyX.7923 said:

Lyssia pretty much beat me to it with the Necro and Monk looks. It was easy to find Necros on speedos/bikinis as well as Monks in loincloths back in GW1.

Even the other professions had some skin exposed armour sets, some professions moreso than others. Though I wouldn't really consider them "swimwear" except for maybe the Elite Druid set for female Rangers because that was essentially a bikini wear with some leaves and twigs here and there. 

Why ANet hasn't made any genuine swimsuit outfits/sets in GW2 will always remain a mystery to me considering how far they went with GW1's armour design on skin exposure for both male and female characters. GW2 needs swimsuit even more than the first game as well since 4 of the 5 races have unique racial characteristics on their body that only gets showcased on skin exposed outfits/armour pieces and there's barely any of those right now. 

I dont know about the armor but omg give me that body art!

The last couple of years the outcry against clothing and outfits in media that some consider to be objectifying has dialed up to eleven.  Anet may be slowly capitulating to that loud segment of the population, irrespective of whether or not any of them play this game.  Aside from the Starborn outfit you guys may have mentioned once or twice most armors and outfits don't seem to often show much skin.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, The Greyhawk.9107 said:

The last couple of years the outcry against clothing and outfits in media that some consider to be objectifying has dialed up to eleven.  Anet may be slowly capitulating to that loud segment of the population, irrespective of whether or not any of them play this game.  Aside from the Starborn outfit you guys may have mentioned once or twice most armors and outfits don't seem to often show much skin.

There are quite a few female that do, and a few male. The male ones are often strange, completely covering the back and exposing stomach and chest.

There’s no shortage of exposed skin, though.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, The Greyhawk.9107 said:

How many of either came out in the last few years?

Well, https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Elonian_Elementalist_Outfit is the new feature in the gem store today. It came out about 3 years ago. The female version is pretty close to a swim suit with a flap and some ribbons.

In general, they seem to be creating persian inspired outfits since PoF that show skin.

https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Awakened_Zealot_Outfit also got featured in the gem shop starting yesterday. It has hip windows, which I can't imagine a reason for other than to be... interesting, since the entire rest of the body is completely covered. The male version has open midriff, also strange given the highly covered rest of the body. This was introduced four years ago.

https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Starborn_Outfit looks like Feyd Rautha's jock strap from David Lynch's Dune,  although the skin change does obscure just how little is actually being worn. Released January 2020, and featured in the shop on sale three times since then.

I don't know how to find a chronological order of outfit and armor skin releases, but those stood out due to being recently featured.

If anything, the Elonian Elementalist and Awakened Zealot outfits lead me to think in recent years ANet is designing more toward mildly sexy, not less.

UPDATE:

https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Ritualist_Outfit 2019

https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Jora's_Outfit 2020

Both have come back to the gem store twice since they were introduced.

Edited by Gibson.4036
  • Like 1

https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Eve's_Prophecies_Outfit released in 2020 looks intended to cater to a particular... taste... with it's skin windows, rings and straps.

ANet definitely seems to be working to stay in a tasteful, so to speak, window, but tastefully, mildly provocative. I don't think the evidence supports a slowly growing conservativism on their part.

ArenaNet is supposed to be a fairly open-minded company, which it should be. It's amazing seeing LGBT representation in-game, and heart-warming. Likewise as has been posted, ArenaNet is no prude when it comes to armours and outfits. The fact remains that not a single argument that has been presented against a Swimsuit Outfit release has been undercut, 99% of the time by ArenaNet themselves. Aside from vague notions of aesthetic philosophy which also don't hold up under scrutiny.

I approached this thread with a different mindset, in my view; I'm a role-player and this would be great for that, but 'please give us this outfit because it's fun for role-players' is a fairly easy statement to ignore. Shouldn't be ignored, but it usually is. -Revenue- though, can't be ignored. There's no doubt swimsuits would sell entirely well on the Gemstore. People enjoy the look, the idea of going to a beach and having a fun time with their friends, RP or not.

You'll gain in revenue multiple times over the cost of labour for a designer/dev to settle up to touch up models already in-game for the five races.

How do I know? Simple math. I don't need to be a Business Wizard, it's not that complicated.

Edited by Altonese.6542
  • Thanks 2

1 minute ago, kharmin.7683 said:

Where is your marketing data to support such claims? 

The magazine aisle in every store. The concept of going to the beach, also very popular - No 'marketing data' on that, just my own outside experience. Anet's willingness to continue putting up like the Pharaoh's Garb which already border on swimsuits except with jangly bits. The fact that people constantly ask on the forums - Oh, and, of course, my poll? Need more?

• Thanks 2

10 minutes ago, Altonese.6542 said:

The magazine aisle in every store. The concept of going to the beach, also very popular - No 'marketing data' on that, just my own outside experience. Anet's willingness to continue putting up like the Pharaoh's Garb which already border on swimsuits except with jangly bits. The fact that people constantly ask on the forums - Oh, and, of course, my poll? Need more?

No I mean marketing data to support your claim that "There's no doubt swimsuits would sell well on the Gemstore."  If you can show this, then Anet might listen.  Otherwise, it is just an opinion statement. 

• Thanks 1
  • Confused 5

5 minutes ago, kharmin.7683 said:

No I mean marketing data to support your claim that "There's no doubt swimsuits would sell well on the Gemstore."  If you can show this, then Anet might listen.  Otherwise, it is just an opinion statement. 

Alright, I sent my sophisticated marketing data to Anet. I can't show you here, NDA and all that.It wasn't hard to put together though, I will say that. A little bit of google, my poll, and common sense.

Also 'opinion statement' I mean sure? I guess it is my opinion. It's my opinion that the earth is round too, so I've got a good track record so far.

• Haha 2
  • Confused 1

21 hours ago, Smoosh.2718 said:

making NCsoft, NChard.

I could not give enough thumb ups for this.

12 minutes ago, kharmin.7683 said:

Here's the data:

Before Anet introduced miniature claim ticket.

A mini Kasmeer - 50g

A mini Southsun Kasmeer - 350g

I used to joke the price difference equivalent to male/female ratio in this game.

Edited by Vilin.8056
  • Like 3
  • Confused 1

1 hour ago, Gibson.4036 said:

ANet definitely seems to be working to stay in a tasteful, so to speak, window, but tastefully, mildly provocative. I don't think the evidence supports a slowly growing conservativism on their part.

And yet they aren't willing to actually make a proper swimsuit, which is the main issue. And besides, the majority of those outfits only really appeal for players with a Human or Norn character at most, the other three races don't get the same level of appeal if we take into account that they have racial features that are pretty much useless once you get past the Character Creation screen because they don't have that level of exposure Humans or Norns would have. I wouldn't be able to see an inkling of the patterns I chose for my Charr or Asura with those outfits, I might see an extremely small portion of the night time glow on my Sylvari but that's a really small window. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, ChronoPinoyX.7923 said:

And yet they aren't willing to actually make a proper swimsuit, which is the main issue. And besides, the majority of those outfits only really appeal for players with a Human or Norn character at most, the other three races don't get the same level of appeal if we take into account that they have racial features that are pretty much useless once you get past the Character Creation screen because they don't have that level of exposure Humans or Norns would have. I wouldn't be able to see an inkling of the patterns I chose for my Charr or Asura with those outfits, I might see an extremely small portion of the night time glow on my Sylvari but that's a really small window. 

Human female is exactly where it is aiming at, you won't turn NCSoft into NCHard with Charr, Asura and Sylvari.

28 minutes ago, Altonese.6542 said:

Alright, I sent my sophisticated marketing data to Anet. I can't show you here, NDA and all that.It wasn't hard to put together though, I will say that. A little bit of google, my poll, and common sense.

Also 'opinion statement' I mean sure? I guess it is my opinion. It's my opinion that the earth is round too, so I've got a good track record so far.

Now you're just being obtuse.

Good luck with your request. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 4

5 minutes ago, kharmin.7683 said:

You've said that to me before, and then come back with some odd request like 'show me your marketing data'. Like I just have that laying around - I made a poll, thats what I got, that and yes, common sense. They would sell well and if you could prove to me swimsuits, for the beach, on all character models, would not be worth the hours of work put in to the swimsuits already in game, on other models - Then I will jump off a bridge.

Edited by Altonese.6542
  • Thanks 2
  • Confused 1

1 hour ago, ChronoPinoyX.7923 said:

Definitely agree with you there. I've been chiming in on "why can't we see our bioluminescence" since the early days of this game. That's part of my frustration with the fact that they love to design exposed stomachs while covering the entirety of the rest of the body. The one place there's no glow on a Sylvari. I'd also love to see more of the wonderful mottling on my Asura.

I don't play Char or Norn, but I very much value the fur patterns and tattoos, and would love if people could show more of them. Swimsuits would definitely help, especially if released as armor skins instead of outfits. That way we could choose the "Lord Faren Swimsuit Top" for a shirtless character, but keep some sort of leggins for a armored barbarian or pit fighter look. I use the Scallywag top for my male sylvari Rev and Guardian because it's the only one that really displays their patterning and glows. Pitfighter and Gladiator let a little through.

Female Humans and Norns have the most exposure. Which definitely undermines the "they have to play it consevative" argument for why they haven't introduced swimsuits. It'd be nice to have more options for males, which would also help female Asura and Charr since they use male clothing.

• Like 3

56 minutes ago, Altonese.6542 said:

You've said that to me before, and then come back with some odd request like 'show me your marketing data'. Like I just have that laying around - I made a poll, thats what I got, that and yes, common sense. They would sell well and if you could prove to me swimsuits, for the beach, on all character models, would not be worth the hours of work put in to the swimsuits already in game, on other models - Then I will jump off a bridge.

It's not an odd request to ask for supporting data or evidence that actually correlates to your statement; however, since you admit that your statement is really opinion, and not fact, the rest of your argument falls away as moot.  Using the metrics from this poll is laughable.

I don't need to prove anything.  You're the one making unfounded claims.  The burden of proof is on you.

• Thanks 1
  • Confused 3

1 hour ago, kharmin.7683 said:

I think you're confusing obtuse with tongue-in-cheek.

It should be pretty clear by now that Altonese likes to make humorously bold statements.

I don't see a burden of proof on anyone here. It's a forum, we say what we think. No one's going to "win" with the ultimate argument. You don't find "the skins are already in the game so it shouldn't be a ton of work" convincing. Other's do. That's pretty much as far as we can go without direct ANet input.

Edited by Gibson.4036
  • Thanks 2
  • Confused 1