WvW Performance and Map Cap Testing - Page 2 — Guild Wars 2 Forums
Home WvW

WvW Performance and Map Cap Testing

Comments

• Sheader.6827Sheader.6827 Member ✭✭✭

Any update on fixing the lag on PoF and LWS 4 maps?

If it were done when ’tis done, then ’twere well it were done quickly. That but this blow might be the be-all and the end-all—here.
    Macbeth Act 1, scene 7

• @misterman.1530 said:
    I'm sorry. This has to be a typo. Max number of players on a map - overall - will be 21? Max of 7 per Server/Team? Will this test cover every map? That means at any given time, the maximum number of players that can be in WvW is 84 (21 on each of the 4 maps). 28 per Server. That'll be interesting. Since it means the servers that stack heavy in NA off-hours will be a disadvantage - am all for that actually. :)

They are reducing the cap by 21 players. The phrasing is a bit confusing, I had to read the post multiple times. Does anyone know what the current cap is?

• TBH, I agree with this new improvement. But the problem is there're too many stacks of condi (like burning, torments, bleeding and confusions) need to be applied with less amount of stacks and duration.

The other problem is there are many organized guilds that are in Discord comms want to take SMC all the time where it increases WvW points by, IDK, 20/30 for T3..? But unfortunately, there are also many pugs that try to join squads that are either in comms or not, or just tagging up without comms and they're the ones popping map bread queues all the time (depends on their active timezone).

Another thing to worry about is there are some big servers paired with big servers, for e.g.: JQ + BP, Mag + SoR and FC + NSP. No disrespect, but ya guys need to pair servers wisely, not blob servers + blob servers and blob servers + medium to high servers. This is why skill lags happen, because of this. And pugs are also a wild card.

But in other words, I'm glad to see some improvements and I can't wait to try it out. I know that it takes a long time, but keep up with your great efforts. ;)

• @StARlORD.2736 said:
    Another thing to worry about is there are some big servers paired with big servers, for e.g.: JQ + BP, Mag + SoR and FC + NSP. No disrespect, but ya guys need to pair servers wisely, not blob servers + blob servers and blob servers + medium to high servers. This is why skill lags happen, because of this. And pugs are also a wild card.

SoR was Medium population until being linked to Mag, after that the bandwagon hit us hard. Since the change from Medium to Very High and then back down to High all happened post link announcement, that at least can't be blamed on the link matching formula.

• SWI.4127SWI.4127 Member ✭✭✭

@Alpha Neuxs.5483 said:

@misterman.1530 said:
    I'm sorry. This has to be a typo. Max number of players on a map - overall - will be 21? Max of 7 per Server/Team? Will this test cover every map? That means at any given time, the maximum number of players that can be in WvW is 84 (21 on each of the 4 maps). 28 per Server. That'll be interesting. Since it means the servers that stack heavy in NA off-hours will be a disadvantage - am all for that actually. :)

They are reducing the cap by 21 players. The phrasing is a bit confusing, I had to read the post multiple times. Does anyone know what the current cap is?

Seems like it's around 70-80 per side

• If you reduce the size of players on the map with already full servers and links to those full servers that are almost full I can guarantee you that you’re going to have some very (more) angry players. Many players are already waiting hours to get on at reset. All maps are already queued.

This is simply a really lousy hotfix to a problem that’s been ongoing for quite some time.

And yeah, Alliances.

This Is Not The Way

F L Ö, Guild Leader/Commander Valkyrja Söngur [ODIN] a server admin Tarnished Coast
    How awful it is to be without, as blood-red rack races overhead; is the welkin gory with warriors' blood as we Valkyries war-songs chanted 

• I think our guild SHLD, has discussed adding another map if this is possible. That would at the very least, offset the problem of latency during play and the dessert BL's are already coded into the game with would mitigate the workload of the coders and NCSoft. Thank you for creating an environment for the best of us that want GW2 to continue with success.

• Cronos.6532Cronos.6532 Member ✭✭✭
    edited July 10, 2020

Don't forget to enable pips in Edge of the Mists and consider un-nerfing its rewards! Even bigger queues, no one will play EotM when it's fun just like regular WvW; they'll just play PvE, PvP, or quit the game.

If I were ArenaNet, I would re-release EotM as an EBG2 rather than leave it as a dead overflow map. People already love Eternal Battlegrounds, and this would be a way to turn the least popular map into the most popular map. It would be silly not to.

signature

• xan.8549xan.8549 Member

@Odnako.7456 said:

@Dawdler.8521 said:

This sounds perfectly normal. Fps always drop like a rock when there's many players nearby.

it could "sound normal" if I had it and always before.
    But, if they were attentive, they would see what I wrote, before I did not drop the FPS.

Reading this was painful, and i literally have no idea what u where trying to say lol. Please proofread ur post b4 u submit it =D

• Melian.5368Melian.5368 Member ✭✭✭

Well, I experienced absolutely zero skill lag on tonights reset at eb where 3 server clouds constantly clashed together. Much more enjoyable experience than before.

• Ubi.4136Ubi.4136 Member ✭✭✭✭

@Vova.2640 said:
    thank you cmc.

If these tests prove successful please consider adding a 2nd EBG-like map to the mode to compensate the cap decrease on other maps.
    or even open a 2nd instance of ebg for prime hours (eg 8pm to midnight EST, 2 skirmishes).

ps. boons and condis dont cause skill lag. u can have 3x75+ blobs standing in close proximity doing absolutely nothing and the game will be unplayable.

Yeah, that's the interesting part of the lag. You can see it and "feel" it coming. Whether it's 30-40 players from your own server or the enemy, you can always see the slightest stuttering when lots of players are approaching. Mounts are obviously making it worse and I would imagine even mini pets don't help. Every time someone runs a minion raid the amount of visual artifacts that follow behind them is mildly amusing. The game also has a second type of server side lag though, the result is the same, but you don't get that "feel" of the lag, you just get the effect, and of course, the inability to do anything but move your character, cause no skills will work.

Every MMO for 20 years has had the ability to "turn off other players effects"...except this one. I wonder if they added this option if it would save the servers trying to report all that flashy stuff to every single client, and reduce some of the lag. It might also reduce some of the seizure inducing light shows that the game has become.

Lost in the Maguuma (TC)
    For the geographically challenged, yes, Tarnished Coast is located IN the Maguuma Jungle.

• Squeak.7093Squeak.7093 Member ✭✭

Stacking buffs, condi's, the big shiny animations, as well as server population are all contributing factors to server lag. The fact that you as a company, selling us sparkly shiny things that ends up being garbage to play because...well, we can't play it. The fact that you can't even correspond with us unless its once in a blue moon is ridiculous. Are you guys just hiring new people all the time and shuffling people around from department to department so no one has a clue on what is actually happening in the game? Sure it's a start to start with....seven people per server. sigh With copious evidence with video clips on the forums, you'd think it would be a bit more than just twenty-one all up. This mallarky has been occurring for years. Y E A R S. I get more feedback and communication from talking to a brick wall.

At least with the server lag, you can tell that a third group is near. But jfc. Just. Talk. More. Fixing your hogwash game would be a nice thing too.

• Ubi.4136Ubi.4136 Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited July 10, 2020

@Tomas.6092 said:
    What is the current total number of players per map?
    Like legit, month or so ago, one of the devs said on stream that there can be nothing done to reduce the lags.
    And now doing the easiest kitten possible - just lowering the amount of people that can get into the map, idk if that a solution to fix.
    We don't even know how many people per server can currently fit to map. Idk why it's even a secret

At one point it was 100 per server. Before they switched to the new forums we got told it was 80 per server. That was also the last that was said on it that I can recall. I'm just hoping they make sure each side is set to the same number, cause quality control hasn't been great.

Lost in the Maguuma (TC)
    For the geographically challenged, yes, Tarnished Coast is located IN the Maguuma Jungle.

• Panicbutton.9426Panicbutton.9426 Member ✭✭
    edited July 10, 2020

I think the massive frustration here is that even us non-technical muppets understand this problem.

Pushing more stuff through the same size pipe = problems.
    Solutions = Two, huzzah!
    Solution One = Get a bigger kitten pipe.
    Solution Two = Put less kitten stuff through the pipe.

The rumour is that you had good pipes, but then traded them in for kitten pipes and now wonder why you have a problem. Then your solution is to ask less customers to use the pipes (which is just kitten mindboggling for a company that provides a service like you do).

• crazyhusky.2985crazyhusky.2985 Member ✭✭✭

Well if you reduce the player cap sizes in maps, then I feel like there something should be added in there to offset the player lower count.

What you could do is either re-purpose EOTM (edge fo the mists) into a new map, like complete revamp it and make it part of the actual wvw maps, make function like a normal wvw map. Or get rid of EOTM and give another wvw map to reduce the load, 5th map, a neutral map, which doesn't belong to anyone.
    If the players are divided between more maps then wouldn't that help?

We have EBG, Green Borderland, Blue Borderland and Red Borderland.
    Make a Purple Borderland which is netural, Give it Jungle like theme something akin to HoT as there isnt something like that in wvw, Red Borderland is desert themed like PoF.

This way players who would be in those ques have some where to go. While giving something new to the wvw players.
    As it stands now EOTM (edge fo the mists) is a ghost town and doesn't feel like an actual part of WvW, From what I've seen most people don't even bother with EOTM, and just wait in que as if it doesn't exist, what is the point of keeping the map if no-one bothers with it or cares about it. Only recently I discovered it exisited, I thought it was like WvW tutorial area on the sode so I didn't bother with it.

@Squeak.7093 said:
    Stacking buffs, condi's, the big shiny animations, as well as server population are all contributing factors to server lag. The fact that you as a company, selling us sparkly shiny things that ends up being garbage to play because...well, we can't play it. The fact that you can't even correspond with us unless its once in a blue moon is ridiculous. Are you guys just hiring new people all the time and shuffling people around from department to department so no one has a clue on what is actually happening in the game? Sure it's a start to start with....seven people per server. sigh With copious evidence with video clips on the forums, you'd think it would be a bit more than just twenty-one all up. This mallarky has been occurring for years. Y E A R S. I get more feedback and communication from talking to a brick wall.

At least with the server lag, you can tell that a third group is near. But jfc. Just. Talk. More. Fixing your hogwash game would be a nice thing too.

Shiny cosmetics are handled by your GPU and CPU, it doesn't affect skill lag in any way. It will affect your framerate, sure, but we need to make a distinction between those 2 things. People conflate them way too often.

• DeWolfe.2174DeWolfe.2174 Member ✭✭✭

@Sombike.6291 said:
    Okei, anyone remember this video over 5 years ago?
    Also when it comes to server pop and lag. I find it that when 2 enemy servers stack massive blobs the 3rd server will hit its "peak population" way before the actual limit of players. Say there is 70 for other servers and when your prime time starts a bit later then you wont be able to get 70 in and will start getting a que at 40, not sure why that is.
    As far as lag, in big fights the server who initiates the fight wont have lag, the one who reacts will have lag, all the damage (mostly condition ticks) calculations will be done in priority to the server who started the fight, thus when u are reacting you will always be behind ... As we have seen when it comes to gvg or wvw support the "ideal idea" is to decrease the rosters for each it seems, so in the end we will be ending up in the pvp tournament style format, since thats what the servers are capable of calculating ...
    Servers are bad and slow when it comes to big scale fights!

That video still cracks me up!

• Naxos.2503Naxos.2503 Member ✭✭✭✭

I think the downsize is only for testing purposes, to see if it improves any. In the case that it does, it doesn't necessarily mean that the change will stay, but that they need to improve the current server by that margin (21 players).

On the other hand, you Really dont have Any excuses regarding Alliances. Go make up your own excuses this time :p

• ASP.8093ASP.8093 Member ✭✭✭✭

@zealex.9410 said:
    Its sad pvp and wvw cant have a more substantial split from pve balance so you guys could change the function of skills and even have a pvp/wvw trait page.

Maybe if cmc tries to talk to the balance team to reduce the boon and condie bloat :/

If it's boon/condi/triggered-ability bloat that's triggering performance issues (which is a theory I find highly credible, certainly), I think you'd want to also reduce them in PVE, tbh. Because the big event-driven maps are also going to be prone to similar issues.

• DeWolfe.2174DeWolfe.2174 Member ✭✭✭

How is it that we used to have greater map populations at launch than we do today? All that's occurred over 8 years is a constant erosion of map populations and world populations. Neither of which make the game more fun. In fact, the population reductions make the game less fun.

• Blaeys.3102Blaeys.3102 Member ✭✭✭
    edited July 10, 2020

It's already hard enough to get my guild group into WvW.

This isnt a move in the right direction - making it that much harder to play with friends.

• Slick.7164Slick.7164 Member ✭✭✭

Is great idea. Will even up the fields.

• I did notice an improvement in skill lag this reset compared to most resets the last few months. 50v50 fights had no noticeable skill lag and the couple of 50v50v50 fights we had had maybe 1-2s skill lag compared to the 5-10s lag with rubber banding that I had come to expect. The lag was also only for a short time while the fights were going on, rather than when everyone is just looking at each other as had been the case before. One night isn't enough data to come to a conclusion and there's still room for improvement but it's a start.

It is not at all ideal to have to lower the cap like this, so please do continue working on those optimisations. Skill lag has been a major issue which has often put me off playing entirely.

• Lower map cap- unlink servers and groups who can’t get in will move to server’s they can play on

@Rasp Sabreblade.5421 said:
    Lower map cap- unlink servers and groups who can’t get in will move to server’s they can play on

Are you on EU by any chance? Just saying from the perspective of an NA player, there is NOT enough population for this to be viable. Some of the biggest server pairings on NA will have maybe 1 map queue during primetime (not counting reset). Separating servers will kill the game for a large number of people.

• subversiontwo.7501subversiontwo.7501 Member ✭✭✭✭

@Sombike.6291 said:
    As far as lag, in big fights the server who initiates the fight wont have lag, the one who reacts will have lag, all the damage (mostly condition ticks) calculations

Something only loosely related to this: I remember before the february changes that I suggested looking into conditions and boons on a per-skill level. One thing that distinctly differs vanilla from present-day balance is that there has been so much effect-inflation on abilities. Things that in vanilla applied one condition now apply two or three, or a combination of direct damage, a condition and a boon. That has to be so much more information to send back, forth and process in a short timeframe between clients and server. I don't pretend to know how GW2's infrastructure looks but it would be a logical assumption that such an inflation in calculations needing to be both sent, received and processed or stemmed off on two ends can cause alot of bottlenecks. Assuming that to be true, then sheer balance could actually have a significant impact on performance as well. Not to mention that less of a spam of conditions and boons or more of a frugal application of them would also be more fun (or were).

• Justine.6351Justine.6351 Member ✭✭✭✭

turn it off and then back on

Anet buff me :-(
    Make me good at game!

• kathy.8291kathy.8291 Member ✭✭✭

lowering the amount of people i WvW will NOT solve the lag. It will only get guilds upset when all their guildies cant get in a map to raid. This is a good way to stop people from playing in WvW.

• RlyOsim.2497RlyOsim.2497 Member ✭✭
    edited July 11, 2020

'the layoffs will not impact the amount of content we release for gws2'... the poster recalls reading a post made by the one-man balance team

• suialthor.7164suialthor.7164 Member ✭✭
    edited July 11, 2020

Addressing lag is nice. How about looking into ways to avoid hour plus queues?

Edit: I've been 1 in queue for nearly 40 mins with a discord of people still wanting in
    Edit 2: I've been 1 in queue for 60 mins with a discord of people of still wanting in. At this rate some people are on track for multi hour queue.

• Come on let's fix the servers this queue increase blows due to player cap change. Just get off your lazy butts and fix the servers. Quit going for the easy quick fix that doesn't actually fix anything and dig in and fix the real issue of the servers.

• Yasai.3549Yasai.3549 Member ✭✭✭✭

@Simo.6819 said:
    EOTM and OS are a thing for fights bvb etc , reality is that noone wants to go there cuz theres no reward , those bvb in OS actually had better server performance than the ones on border...

Yea totally.

I remember when Scrapper rework WvW update, people were packed on everymap that there were huge skirmishes on EotM.
    It was fun as heck but yea no pips.

They should put pips back into EotM tbh.

If I play a stupid build, I deserve to die.
    If I beat people on a stupid build, I deserve to get away with it.

• Sovereign.1093Sovereign.1093 Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited July 11, 2020

Reducing player cap is good Imo. So others can actually be on the other maps.

It also gives more chances to more commanders leading .

Now ppl will have to think more on their comp.

Not Even Coverage is the Only broken thing in WVW.

• Hannelore.8153Hannelore.8153 Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited July 11, 2020

Player caps need to be reduced all the way down to 40-50 per side on every map, especially EBG. You should never have more than one squad's worth of people on a map. If people want to play with each other they can go to another map.

It sounds harsh, but you can't guide balance around people's feelings, thats how we ended up here. There's plenty of maps in the game mode and only like 1-2 get played at any given time, and that's not even taking into account possibilities like reviving EoTM.

The solution to maps being full is to add more copies or more alternatives, just like PvE, not keep trying to shove people in.

Please take extreme actions to fix this game mode instead of "a little salt here, a little sugar there".

Lower map cap- unlink servers and groups who can’t get in will move to server’s they can play on

There's not enough people on NA to unlink servers, if anything we need triple links on T2/T3 and T4 eliminated entirely. We hit a map queue about once a week, around reset time, and only on EBG and maybe one Borderlands. And being a link server, I've been linked with something like half the NA servers, and trust me it doesn't change much through the tiers.

Aside from a few really active servers like Mag, WvW is mostly dead on NA.

Hannah | Daisuki[SUKI] Founder, Ehmry Bay, NA | 22 charas, 16k hours, 28k AP | ♀♥♀
    Mains Mariyuuna/Auramancer(PvE) & Terakura/Healbreaker(WvW) aka Henge of Denravi Silver Invader [SUKI]
    No need to be best, only good and kind.

edited July 11, 2020

@Hannelore.8153 said:
    Player caps need to be reduced all the way down to 40-50 per side on every map, especially EBG. You should never have more than one squad's worth of people on a map. If people want to play with each other they can go to another map.

It sounds harsh, but you can't guide balance around people's feelings, thats how we ended up here. There's plenty of maps in the game mode and only like 1-2 get played at any given time, and that's not even taking into account possibilities like reviving EoTM.

The solution to maps being full is to add more copies or more alternatives, just like PvE, not keep trying to shove people in.

Please take extreme actions to fix this game mode instead of "a little salt here, a little sugar there".

There's not enough people on NA to unlink servers, if anything we need triple links on T2/T3 and T4 eliminated entirely. We hit a map queue about once a week, around reset time, and only on EBG and maybe one Borderlands. And being a link server, I've been linked with something like half the NA servers, and trust me it doesn't change much through the tiers.

Aside from a few really active servers like Mag, WvW is mostly dead on NA.

I think if players stack on one server with less map cap, then, they will spread on other servers. Because they can't play with their fav commander on a queued bl.

But I suppose your correct in reducing tiers, simply so eotm gets love again maybe give it same rewards as wvw but cut by half.

Ideally for fun a team ought to have 50 players per server at all times. Not per map. 50 is good enough and fun and then from there people can sort themselves

I remember in the past we had commanders specializing in alpine or eb or desert.

• Chaba.5410Chaba.5410 Member ✭✭✭✭

Lowering the map cap really punishes players where Anet has linked servers without much consideration for timezones. Queues are moving slower tonight for sure.

• Stand The Wall.6987Stand The Wall.6987 Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited July 11, 2020

any sort of major fix to lag will have to include an aoe overhaul. theres way too much of it and the expacs made it worse and worse. i suggested something a while ago where you reduce the duration of normal 5 sec aoe to 2 sec and increase potency. someone else theorized that watchtowers were causing some lag. if they are remove the anti stealth mechanics from towers and sentries, and gimmicks from castles. fix the actual stealth builds at their source. remove multi hit aoe entirely or reduce it severely on most skills (such as whirling wrath, barrage etc.) i would aim for nothing over 3-5 or so hits, and try to make most normal aoe not hit more then 1 time per sec. thats just for starters. then you can think about aaaallllll the bloated multi effect skills, the ones pumping out condis, boons, damage, aoe, heals all at once. that stuff is horrid. for some aoe maybe even go so far as completely remove damage or support aspects to them, the biggest example and offenders are guard symbols. make them do one thing or the other and make them good at it. the point is that they won't do aoe checks for both allies and enemies at the same time. thats pretty much it, good luck man this game can be a lasting legacy with the right pair of caring hands.

Te lazla otstara.

• Hannelore.8153Hannelore.8153 Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited July 11, 2020

@Stand The Wall.6987 said:
    any sort of major fix to lag will have to include an aoe overhaul. theres way too much of it and the expacs made it worse and worse. i suggested something a while ago where you reduce the duration of normal 5 sec aoe to 2 sec and increase potency. someone else theorized that watchtowers were causing some lag. if they are remove the anti stealth mechanics from towers and sentries, and gimmicks from castles. fix the actual stealth builds at their source. remove multi hit aoe entirely or reduce it severely on most skills (such as whirling wrath, barrage etc.) i would aim for nothing over 3-5 or so hits, and try to make most normal aoe not hit more then 1 time per sec. thats just for starters. then you can think about aaaallllll the bloated multi effect skills, the ones pumping out condis, boons, damage, aoe, heals all at once. that stuff is horrid. for some aoe maybe even go so far as completely remove damage or support aspects to them, the biggest example and offenders are guard symbols. make them do one thing or the other and make them good at it. the point is that they won't do aoe checks for both allies and enemies at the same time. thats pretty much it, good luck man this game can be a lasting legacy with the right pair of caring hands.

I think the reason they don't want to reduce AoE is because GW2 has a bad single-player targeting system. Because of this the devs have used area skills as a crutch ever since the game's release, especially in healing skills. Mechanics like stealth make the existing single-player targeting system even worse than usual, creating artificial difficulty in fights that should be relatively straightforward.

Compare it to any other PvP/RvR game, it has 10x the area skills compared to single-target. Though I will say area skills are necessary for zerg-busting, but in GW they don't work for that because they're too weak and have target caps (another story..).

Hannah | Daisuki[SUKI] Founder, Ehmry Bay, NA | 22 charas, 16k hours, 28k AP | ♀♥♀
    Mains Mariyuuna/Auramancer(PvE) & Terakura/Healbreaker(WvW) aka Henge of Denravi Silver Invader [SUKI]
    No need to be best, only good and kind.

• Stand The Wall.6987Stand The Wall.6987 Member ✭✭✭✭

@Hannelore.8153 said:
    I think the reason they don't want to reduce AoE is because GW2 has a bad single-player targeting system. Because of this the devs have used area skills as a crutch ever since the game's release, especially in healing skills. Mechanics like stealth make the existing single-player targeting system even worse than usual, creating artificial difficulty in fights that should be relatively straightforward.

Compare it to any other PvP/RvR game, it has 10x the area skills compared to single-target. Though I will say area skills are necessary for zerg-busting, but in GW they don't work for that because they're too weak and have target caps (another story..).

maybe you didn't fully read what i said, single target is not part of the equation.

Te lazla otstara.

edited July 11, 2020

Ae is fine. If this game becomes single target only itll be boring very boring.

Also if it becomes so, then massive numbers vs massive numbers won't work anymore

It would be like the end of story mode arah

• Just finished Reset. No one really noticed any lag. HOWEVER, we had massive queues. Half my Guild ended up in queue. same with the other guilds across all maps. No possibility to switch maps as all had huge queues. People had to wait over an hour before even one person in queue was able to come in. Add to the fact that many people wait 30-60 minutes before reset for reset. This is what really needs to be addressed and fixed. Many people were upset and frustrated about the queues.

• CrimsonNeonite.1048CrimsonNeonite.1048 Member ✭✭✭
    edited July 11, 2020

In terms of the queues, it's only 7 less players, so the issue is; how stacked certain host servers may be, combined with their linked population, but the queues generally die down after reset.

I doubt the change will make 3 ways on EB, any better though. I didn't have that many 3 way fights in EU T4, I only had a couple of 3 way fights where one server was not a full blob. So while it wasn't laggy, it wasn't the worst case scenario.

https://twitch.tv/crimson13neon/
    Cyberpunk is coming out before Alliances.

• Leima.2640Leima.2640 Member ✭✭

Just courious, but what about redoing boons and condis in wvw, like reduce the number of them to 5 of each instead of 14 condis and 12 boons we currently have, the servers can't process all the calculations needed, or am i wrong in thinking that would help. As they have made WvW changes in the past that have not affected PvE then it could work, just tag the ones removed from WvW as PvE only.
    Not sure how it all works, just a thought :). I am not a techincal person so please don't flame to much XD

• nthmetal.9652nthmetal.9652 Member ✭✭✭

I wonder where people get the idea from, that mounts might be responsible. I mean, we don't know the code, so of course anything is possible, but look at what is likely: Where would a mount lead to additional calculations on server side, especially calculations that would need to be executed every tick?
    No, the problem lies with the AoEs, boons and condis, and maybe on top of that, that you need to track each instance of them separately, because one specific condi is not like any other specific condi, and a boon is not like any other specific boon. Each of them has modifiers attached. They might last longer. They might have more impact.
    Same goes for areas. You can't just say "there is a shade here", because some of them might be bigger, some smaller, their effects are controlled by attributes. You can't just look at "what player is inside the area", because the powers have target caps. For each area you need to track the targets separately.

There is likely a lot of room for improvement in the code, hopefully we can get to that, while we examine the current temporary workaround.

"and then we know that we have looked back through the ivory gates into that world of wonder which was ours before we were wise and unhappy"
    -- H. P. Lovecraft - Celephais

• Chaba.5410Chaba.5410 Member ✭✭✭✭

@CrimsonNeonite.1048 said:
    In terms of the queues, it's only 7 less players, so the issue is; how stacked certain host servers may be, combined with their linked population, but the queues generally die down after reset.

Sure it clears after reset, but part of that is guilds logging off earlier than they normally do from queue times being longer. When Anet links two servers together that are both stacked in NA timezone, that's not really the players doing.

• Talindra.4958Talindra.4958 Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited July 11, 2020

I remember there was a fix long time ago (?) for lag and latency improvement in pve world boss or large scale living story event before hot. Eg server client response and local client response.. can similar fix be done for wvw?
    I don't think reduce players cap will help. It creates more frustration in many ways.

Death is Energy [DIE] & Bongbong [BB] in FoW server
    Leg champ., champ. magus, champ. phantom & champ. hunter
    Envoy's Herald, EAoA, CoZ, VitV, DD, SS, The Eternal, LNHB, DoD, DwD.

• Yuffi.2430Yuffi.2430 Member ✭✭✭

Having been the sole player on a map (pre-linking) I can absolutely guarantee that reducing the numbers of players sufficiently will stop lag - but this approach does make the game unplayable.
    The big question has to be why lag occurs. Even if it's server performance there will be a reason why the server can't cope, so it's worth trying a few experimental weeks to gain data. We had golem week (which some players enjoyed and others hated but everyone knew was temporary), so some you could run some weekly investigations.

But rather than experiment with WvW borderlands and EB, why not open up EotM again and give players an good incentive to use it while you test ideas and take measurements. You'll still have "normal" metrics from the borderlands and you can trial all sorts of things in EotM - changing population caps, reducing visual effects, ban minis, reduce condi/boon to one stack and one tick, even banning stealth in case lag is caused by large numbers of invisible perma-stealth thieves spamming random skills: whatever you need to try, all on existing one map that's already part of/associated with WvW.