WvW Performance and Map Cap Testing

Cal Cohen.2358

@"Cal Cohen.2358" said:Hi Everyone,

We know skill lag is an issue in WvW. We’re actively investigating performance improvements and optimizations, but this is not a quick process and is going to take some time. While these investigations are ongoing, we want to see if there are other opportunities for some short-term improvements.

We’re planning to run some tests to see what performance gains we can get by reducing the total number of players on the map. The current target for the initial test is with EU reset on this Friday, July 10, where we’ll be temporarily reducing the map caps in WvW for both NA and EU by 21 (7 per team) and monitoring the impact on performance over the next week. The key feedback that we’ll need from all of you is to get a sense of how the maps feel with fewer players. We still want WvW to feel like WvW, and we realize that any reduction to player counts will have a negative impact on the overall gameplay experience. We will be weighing that negative impact against the positives of any performance improvements to determine if it makes sense to move forward with lower map caps beyond this initial test. If we do move forward with lower map caps, we will also be keeping a close eye on queue times and will increase the number of tiers as needed.

This is not a long-term solution. Even if we find that reducing map caps leads to big performance improvements and the impact on gameplay is minimal, we will be continuing our investigations into performance with the plan of incrementally restoring map caps as improvements are made.

Oh, I see another one of those " is going to take some time " statement. What is some time? Like Alliance? Where investigations were done two and a half years ago and today we still get nothing, not even a word.

I hope when you said 'fewer players' you don't mean to cut down the number of players in WvW by 80% and make that 80% map queue for hours while only the other 20% gets to play. And then you call that solving the problem :angry: From experience, I know you guys do things very 'high handedly' when you can't solve a problem. You made a few changes, created many new problems with much collateral damage and then disappeared for months, waiting for the new cries to quiet down. No concerns, no regrets. PLEASE don't do anything if that is necessary.

Based on current Match-Up Mechanics...I'd consider:

Maximum Globe Map "Seat" Capacity is set by ANetSeats are Reserved based on the following - [ Home Team - 45% ] / [ Enemy Raider = 40 %] / [ Referee = 15% ] - (Percents Adjustable)Players queue to wait for an open "seat" to enter a MapPlayers are automatically sent to EOTM if all maps are queued

Copied & Edited From Article - For Full Context See - Step 3 - WvG - Raiding of Enemy Globeshttps://en-forum.guildwars2.com/discussion/comment/1064950/#Comment_1064950

I both think this won't really work and don't really care if they implement it for the same reason - I honestly never see map queues outside of a few hours on reset night. EBG and sometimes home BL are queued during NA prime - outside of that, smooth sailing wherever you want to go. What does it matter if you reduce a cap that's never hit? People are like "oh no, we want bigger caps" but who is going to fill up that space if you got it? Maybe like the 2 bandwagon stacked servers each relink have to deal with queues. And I also think there's PLENTY of people like me who would welcome less blobbing and a smaller disparity between whatever server is running a ktrain and the skeleton crew on your side.

I also don't really ever see skill lag, though, probably again due to the fact that most of the time I'm playing with the outnumbered buff.

Skill lag as been a very significant issue in WvW, especially on the night of reset when queues can be 20+ deep. And that is the juxtaposition of lowering caps: You make one problem better by making another worse.

Two real/best answers here: Remove the things not needed in WvW (like mounts) to reduce the information that you need to serve, and increase the size of the servers. Therein lies the real problem: Money.

ANET is appropriately reluctant to take away things that people spent real time/money on (e.g. mounts), but equally skittish about spending more money on a "free" game via the charges they would have to pay server hosts (i.e. AWS).

Maybe it's time to get down the REAL problem: It's hard for Guild Wars 2 to remain profitable by offering a game that lives off of optional purchases instead of the sustained residuals of monthly fees. If we want to see this game continue to grow and be sustained, maybe its time to tweak that revenue model. Re-think pay-to-play for some of the optional areas/content, and untangle the crossover benefits where you have legendary items that require you to play in all of GW2s areas. Consider making access to WvW, PvP, fractals a pay-to-play addition...with unique armor/weapon skins attainable only by those willing to pay the 99 cents for that particular area ($2.50/month for all 3, $25/year if paid for 12 months).

Just a thought.

@"Gryphon Radwing.7042" said:Skill lag as been a very significant issue in WvW, especially on the night of reset when queues can be 20+ deep. And that is the juxtaposition of lowering caps: You make one problem better by making another worse.

Two real/best answers here: Remove the things not needed in WvW (like mounts) to reduce the information that you need to serve, and increase the size of the servers. Therein lies the real problem: Money.

ANET is appropriately reluctant to take away things that people spent real time/money on (e.g. mounts), but equally skittish about spending more money on a "free" game via the charges they would have to pay server hosts (i.e. AWS).

Maybe it's time to get down the REAL problem: It's hard for Guild Wars 2 to remain profitable by offering a game that lives off of optional purchases instead of the sustained residuals of monthly fees. If we want to see this game continue to grow and be sustained, maybe its time to tweak that revenue model. Re-think pay-to-play for some of the optional areas/content, and untangle the crossover benefits where you have legendary items that require you to play in all of GW2s areas. Consider making access to WvW, PvP, fractals a pay-to-play addition...with unique armor/weapon skins attainable only by those willing to pay the 99 cents for that particular area ($2.50/month for all 3, $25/year if paid for 12 months).

Just a thought.

Ah :) if this happens, it's time to choose a different game.

I am the first to admit the wvw lagg is seriously grrr however, this is the first time in my memory that Anet has indicated they will throw in some performance oversight. I can scream blue murder, complain bitterly that they have not done anything before this and a 21 player reduction is redundant. BUT, if Anet is willing to at least look into cause and effect then I am prepared to wait till the findings have concluded before returning to keyboard smashing, swearing at a screen and then doing the 2yr old thing, and throw a temper tantrum before walking outside and bashing head against wall. Wait to see what any fix may bring before discounting the Anet effort to at least try.

@Cal Cohen.2358 said:Hi Everyone,

We know skill lag is an issue in WvW. We’re actively investigating performance improvements and optimizations, but this is not a quick process and is going to take some time. While these investigations are ongoing, we want to see if there are other opportunities for some short-term improvements.

We’re planning to run some tests to see what performance gains we can get by reducing the total number of players on the map. The current target for the initial test is with EU reset on this Friday, July 10, where we’ll be temporarily reducing the map caps in WvW for both NA and EU by 21 (7 per team) and monitoring the impact on performance over the next week. The key feedback that we’ll need from all of you is to get a sense of how the maps feel with fewer players. We still want WvW to feel like WvW, and we realize that any reduction to player counts will have a negative impact on the overall gameplay experience. We will be weighing that negative impact against the positives of any performance improvements to determine if it makes sense to move forward with lower map caps beyond this initial test. If we do move forward with lower map caps, we will also be keeping a close eye on queue times and will increase the number of tiers as needed.

This is not a long-term solution. Even if we find that reducing map caps leads to big performance improvements and the impact on gameplay is minimal, we will be continuing our investigations into performance with the plan of incrementally restoring map caps as improvements are made.

Hi CalIt was unplayable for me today off peak hours. We played during oceanic night time which started at 11am GMT and finished at 1pm GMT. My ping seemed to be quite ordinary (300-400 ave) but I couldn't activate skills and the screen was freezing quite a lot. It was really impossible to play. We are only ~ 20 men squad.I have not experienced this issue for many years. As oceanic player I have always been playing with higher ping but it is manageable as long as the ping is consistent without spike. But what happen today it wasn't spike or high ping, its rubber banding and delayed skills activation. When I try to turn the view around it seems like it takes longer for one frame at a time delay.. its horrible. Instead of sending a support ticket I think a report here may help to provide you a feedback for the server fix.FYI - this is FoW server linked with GunnarI am calling from Australia.I have a short video of the frame lag here I can send it over if it helps.

Thanks.RegardsTalindra

EDIT - UPDATE - MY apology. it was indeed issues from my end. I have changed the GPU performance to take screenshot and forgot to change it back when I return to WVW. the frame lag is due to graphic card issues.If I change it back to minimum performance it should fix it. for now. this feedback is irrelevant. My apology

@Talindra.4958 said:

@"Cal Cohen.2358" said:Hi Everyone,

Hi CalIt was unplayable for me today off peak hours. We played during oceanic night time which started at 11am GMT and finished at 1pm GMT. My ping seemed to be quite ordinary (300-400 ave) but I couldn't activate skills and the screen was freezing quite a lot. It was really impossible to play. We are only ~ 20 men squad.I have not experienced this issue for many years. As oceanic player I have always been playing with higher ping but it is manageable as long as the ping is consistent without spike. But what happen today it wasn't spike or high ping, its rubber banding and delayed skills activation. When I try to turn the view around it seems like it takes longer for one frame at a time delay.. its horrible. Instead of sending a support ticket I think a report here may help to provide you a feedback for the server fix.FYI - this is FoW server linked with GunnarI am calling from Australia.I have a short video of the frame lag here I can send it over if it helps.

Thanks.RegardsTalindra

That is
not
the "normal" skill-lag/warping issue discussed here, you got something completely different going on. That look like an issue with your computer rather than the game. You can easily verify that by asking your guildies if it happens for them at the same time.

There has been barely any skill-lag since reset (EU T4), even when all 3 servers had map queued on primetime fighting around same area. According to some people on discord only 1 fight had little bit of skill-lag throughout 2 hours.

Can't believe reducing as few as 7 people per side had such a huge positive impact.

I have to say whatever is done it works.I had just one very weird spike (i have the recording if you are interested), but it was just once and i think it was my ISP as nobody else complained.So far i am happy with the new improved performance of the wvw maps.

@Dawdler.8521 said:

@"Talindra.4958" said:It was unplayable for me today off peak hours. My ping seemed to be quite ordinary (300-400 ave) but I couldn't activate skills and the screen was freezing quite a lot. It was really impossible to play.

That is
not
the "normal" skill-lag/warping issue discussed here, you got something completely different going on. That look like an issue with your computer rather than the game. You can easily verify that by asking your guildies if it happens for them at the same time.

Most likely this was caused by one or multiple servers along the path, between the client and the game server itself (a routing problem).

There were lag spikes in the guild, especially for those connecting from SEA without a VPN, but this is a different lag than what the OP trying to fix here.

Skill lag is lower now (when there's any), so whatever changes were done helped so far.

@"Threather.9354" said:There has been barely any skill-lag since reset (EU T4), even when all 3 servers had map queued on primetime fighting around same area. According to some people on discord only 1 fight had little bit of skill-lag throughout 2 hours.

Can't believe reducing as few as 7 people per side had such a huge positive impact.I find it incredibly hard to believe that the lag has been because the servers where that "close to capacity", sort of speak. Especially since they've reduced the cap before.

Personally I havent ran in a zerg since before reset so cant really judge anything, nor seen 3 borderzergs clash.

@"Diku.2546" said:Based on current Match-Up Mechanics...I'd consider:

Maximum Globe Map "Seat" Capacity is set by ANetSeats are Reserved based on the following - [ Home Team - 45% ] / [ Enemy Raider = 40 %] / [ Referee = 15% ] - (Percents Adjustable)Players queue to wait for an open "seat" to enter a MapPlayers are automatically sent to EOTM if all maps are queued

Copied & Edited From Article - For Full Context See - Step 3 - WvG - Raiding of Enemy Globeshttps://en-forum.guildwars2.com/discussion/comment/1064950/#Comment_1064950

We need to encourage Healthy Competition & try to limit Over-Stacked Servers from easily dominating weaker servers.

Based on current Match-Up Mechanics...I'd also consider:

1. Remove Supply when Player Capture Objectives on an Enemy BL, or EBG Enemy Territory
  2. Keep Supply when Player Capture Objectives on their Home BL, or EBG Home Territory

This will force Over-Stacked Servers to go back to their Home Territory to tactically get supplies.

This will allow weaker servers a time to recover when Matched against an Over-Stacked Server that would steam-roll them under if given a constant stream of fresh supplies.

Healthy Competition is needed to keep players engaged & returning, or there will be no reason for losing servers to return to be cannon fodder for Over Stacked Servers to enjoy.

Copied & Edited From Article - For Full Context See - Step 15 & 16https://en-forum.guildwars2.com/discussion/comment/1064947/#Comment_1064947

@Diku.2546 said:

Based on current Match-Up Mechanics...I'd consider:

Maximum
Globe
Map "Seat" Capacity is set by ANetSeats are Reserved based on the following - [ Home Team - 45% ] / [ Enemy Raider = 40 %] / [ Referee = 15% ] - (Percents Adjustable)Players queue to wait for an open "seat" to enter a Map
Players are automatically sent to EOTM if all maps are queued

Copied & Edited From Article - For Full Context See - Step 3 - WvG - Raiding of Enemy Globes

We need to encourage Healthy Competition & try to limit Over-Stacked Servers from easily dominating weaker servers.

Based on current Match-Up Mechanics...I'd also consider:
  1. Remove Supply when Player Capture Objectives on an Enemy BL, or EBG Enemy Territory
  2. Keep Supply when Player Capture Objectives on their Home BL, or EBG Home Territory

This will force Over-Stacked Servers to go back to their Home Territory to tactically get supplies.

This will allow weaker servers a time to recover when Matched against an Over-Stacked Server that would steam-roll them under if given a constant stream of fresh supplies.

Healthy Competition is needed to keep players engaged & returning, or there will be no reason for losing servers to return to be cannon fodder for Over Stacked Servers to enjoy.

Copied & Edited From Article - For Full Context See - Step 15 & 16
This has absolutely nothing to do with the thread.

WvW is an intricate ecosystem...imho

Changes to mechanics can have ripple effects in other areas of this game mode that can either make it healthy or toxic to play.

We've already done this with World & Language Linking...the social impact has changed our Long-Term WvW community...imho

Are we only going to improve performance & ignore other aspects?

As we discuss improving performance...what's the reason & context for this effort?

It matters because it should be related to where this game mode is going because there's a vision & road map that explains why we're bothering to do this right?

Unless folks prefer to just to wander without a plan...then I guess that's a reason.

In discussing improving performance...

Can we also ask ANet: What is their long-term vision for this game mode?

The reason why I ask is because this decision to improve performance should support the long-term vision that ANet has.

Failing to have a long-term vision ANet will be easily swayed by the latest fad or loudest critic...which in the Long-Term...can't be good...imho

If ANet doesn't have a long-term vision...then I'd hope they consider the following 3 concepts on what WvW should be about:

1. World Server based War that can exponentially scale to Epically Global Proportions
  2. Game Mode that naturally nurtures Long Term Communities
  3. War between Worlds should typically have no borders, but should have limitations to reduce or prevent un-fair matches

Having these 3 concepts should be the driving force behind improving performance, making changes, and moving forward...imhoOrWhatever ANet concepts are for the Long-Term vision that they have...if they have one.

I raised the aspect about Healthy Competition because it matters...playing in un-fair matches isn't fun...imho

@Talindra.4958 said:

Thanks.RegardsTalindra

Rubberbanding with delayed skill activation is network latency and/or packet loss, not the server struggling to calculate everyone's skill usage as this topic is about. Network issues can occur at any point between you and the server. It is not necessarily something fixable by Anet. The only thing they can do is ensure that their network and upstream connection are copasetic.

@Tiawal.2351 said:

@"Dawdler.8521" said:That is
not

Most likely this was caused by one or multiple servers along the path, between the client and the game server itself (a routing problem).

There were lag spikes in the guild, especially for those connecting from SEA without a VPN, but this is a different lag than what the OP trying to fix here.

Skill lag is lower now (when there's any), so whatever changes were done helped so far.

Rubberbanding with delayed skill activation is network latency and/or packet loss, not the server struggling to calculate everyone's skill usage as this topic is about. Network issues can occur at any point between you and the server. It is not necessarily something fixable by Anet. The only thing they can do is ensure that their network and upstream connection are copasetic.

Thanks for the input guys… I thought it's strange as the ping was OK.. will check a few things on my PC tonight to see it will improve. Maybe win update at the background I wasn't noticed.

@Chaba.5410 said:

Thanks.RegardsTalindra

It could be a network problem or it could be server a problem (server not able to push its message queues fast enough or looses messages internally). We (as players) can not ne sure about the root problem. But I do know that even rubberbanding can happen to several players at exactely the same time (some time ago, not recently, it happend to all players in my squad and shortly after this the map crashed and we were all disconnected).

simplified rule of thumb: If it happens only to one player -> player problem, if it happens to several players -> Anet problem.

What I am wondering: Skill lag is not a new problem in WvW and it did happen before Anet moved to cheaper Amazon servers. What is now the actual motivation to reduce skill lag in WvW? Is it something that happens with the work for the next expansion and WvW is just the test-case? Or did someone higher in the food-chain gave the order to fix this? Or is it more of a pet-project of 1-2 devs? Or is this only a kind of proof that they are doing something for WvW (we have reduced the map cap as a temporary fix until we have a real solution, but only after we finished the alliance-system)?

I do not know. But I do know that Anet could have the server performance data/metrics since months and they could replay the load patterns with automatic-test clients if this problem were important for Anet.

i dont think its connection or server capacity problem.

is a problem of how the software is designed and someone inside arenanet seems to have been too enthusiastic calculating the number of possible players in relation to the game and specialisations and skill design. sometimes arcdps is showing an error windows with numbers counting up some „combat error queue overload“ which looks like a queue of players actions is overflood.

the problems caused by reducing the players now is too long waiting queues and very unequal fights. as soon a guild manages to enter a map and supports the public zerg you cant keep competitive if you have only 36 people in public squad while the rest of your people are roamers which have always been there and of course there right to exist.

maybe add another map. like one huge triangle map which is only a meadow. no strucutures. just teleporters in each corner, meant for pure 30vs30 fights. maybe make directly 2-3 such maps per matchups. guilds can have there fights then and the publics and roamers can remain in the other wvw maps and fight for structures.

i dont think an solution like opening up more tiers now and delink some server links will help. community always shown not to be able to equally spread over the servers for equal and interesting competition.

btw. just a quick note about the legal side of arenanets actions:

in germany it is forbidden by law to sell a product or sign service and nerf it after sale. if the service is broken it needs to be repaired or replaced by at least an equal service or a better one. the customer cant be left with less than what he signed with the contractor.