Custom name weapons and armor.

blambidy.3216

Kitten Blades everywhere! :o

@blambidy.3216 said:

@KTap.4381 said:I don't see the problem, as long as when it's linked or whatever we cannot see the custom name (can you imagine all the stupid/inappropriate things people would come up with?).

Yea I know what you mean lol. if they do show it they might have to filter it.

@"Illconceived Was Na.9781" said:I'd certainly use this to name stuff that otherwise looks identical, like "Viper Ring Condi +15" so I don't have to visually inspect the details each time.

But it seems like an awful lot of work for ANet, without all that much benefit to communit.

IDK. It's no different from rangers class naming their pets.... Just adding weapons and armor. If arenanet really needed the money by now all they gotta do is add an option for sub. Not people have to but people can have a choice to do it.

@blambidy.3216 said:

@"Illconceived Was Na.9781" said:I'd certainly use this to name stuff that otherwise looks identical, like "Viper Ring Condi +15" so I don't have to visually inspect the details each time.

But it seems like an awful lot of work for ANet, without all that much benefit to community.

IDK. It's no different from rangers class naming their pets.... Just adding weapons and armor. If arenanet really needed the money by now all they gotta do is add an option for sub. Not people have to but people can have a choice to do it.

I'm not saying it is any different. I'm saying it's costly to add it to the game. The benefit is marginal.It's not about money; it's about resources: there just aren't enough developers (and won't ever be) to add even most of the good ideas we have (even the ones we all agree would be great).

@Illconceived Was Na.9781 said:

@blambidy.3216 said:

@Illconceived Was Na.9781 said:I'd certainly use this to name stuff that otherwise looks identical, like "Viper Ring Condi +15" so I don't have to visually inspect the details each time.

But it seems like an awful lot of work for ANet, without all that much benefit to community.

I'm not saying it is any different. I'm saying it's costly to add it to the game. The benefit is marginal.It's not about money; it's about resources: there just aren't enough developers (and won't ever be) to add even most of the good ideas we have (even the ones we all agree would be great).

Yea be nice if they had more people. They wouldn't be restricted.

@blambidy.3216 said:

But it seems like an awful lot of work for ANet, without all that much benefit to communit.

Turn around 3 times and spit at that idea for raising money!

@KTap.4381 said:I don't see the problem, as long as when it's linked or whatever we cannot see the custom name (can you imagine all the stupid/inappropriate things people would come up with?).

I like that idea as a way to avoid abuse. My only concern is people then announcing on mapchat what the weapon is called. :S Otherwise, I all for this idea.

I actually had a dream years ago that I was playing an asura warrior (and I have no such character), and they were carrying a hammer. I was allowed to rename that hammer in the dream. :)

@AegisRunestone.8672 said:

I like that idea as a way to avoid abuse. My only concern is people then announcing on mapchat what the weapon is called. :S Otherwise, I all for this idea.

I actually had a dream years ago that I was playing an asura warrior (and I have no such character), and they were carrying a hammer. I was allowed to rename that hammer in the dream. :)

What did you name it? :p

I am not feeling it. I mean some things deserve a name, and in this game, they are given names.. but a generic inquest dagger.. I don't see the need to make a name thing happen, because then when you un-equip it, the name will go away, and people will fuss about it.

However.. being able to change the name of our legendary armor, or weapons.. or maybe apply a "nick name" like "Eternity the God Killer" or something, now that would have it's place..

or now that I think about it.. maybe have it so we can earn titles for our weapons, like once you cap Dagger mastery you can give your dagger the title "the Slayer" an apply it, so you link "Inquest Dagger the Slayer" which I think would be more trouble then it's worth.. but pretty nifty.

@STIHL.2489 said:I am not feeling it. I mean some things deserve a name, and in this game, they are given names.. but a generic inquest dagger.. I don't see the need to make a name thing happen, because then when you un-equip it, the name will go away, and people will fuss about it.

However.. being able to change the name of our legendary armor, or weapons.. or maybe apply a "nick name" like "Eternity the God Killer" or something, now that would have it's place..

or now that I think about it.. maybe have it so we can earn titles for our weapons, like once you cap Dagger mastery you can give your dagger the title "the Slayer" an apply it, so you link "Inquest Dagger the Slayer" which I think would be more trouble then it's worth.. but pretty nifty.

“I don't see the need to make a name thing happen”

“being able to change the name of our legendary armor, or weapons.. or maybe apply a "nick name" like "Eternity the God Killer" or something, now that would have it's place..”

Do you have voices in your head mate?

@FOX.3582 said:

@STIHL.2489 said:I am not feeling it. I mean some things deserve a name, and in this game, they are given names.. but a generic inquest dagger.. I don't see the need to make a name thing happen, because then when you un-equip it, the name will go away, and people will fuss about it.

“being able to change the name of our legendary armor, or weapons.. or maybe apply a "nick name" like "Eternity the God Killer" or something, now that would have it's place..”

Um... aren't you supposed to? Like that's normal, I think.

Either way, the most I would do with this is just name them for classes and just keep them generic "Axe of Necro" "Axe of Mirage" "Axe of Warrior" or something.

@FOX.3582 said:

I get that this is tongue-n-cheek..

So. I'll say "yah.. and they come up with the best ideas sometimes, that I wish I thought of it"

@blambidy.3216 said:I just thought of it today and would be nice to be able to custom name armor and weapons. For example the name of the dagger says inquest dagger. Would be nice for us to change that name and use it the way we want. Do you guys also think so it should happen?

As someone who is a frequent players of an ego shooter where you can name-tag your weapons, I have to say that I don't see the point of it in GW2. In said shooter, the enemy can read the name of the weapon with which they were killed, and in that case it makes sense (and can also lead to funny encounters). But without anyone else being able to read the name of your weapons or armor, what's the point? It will only confuse you in the long run, and you can't share it with the world.

From a RP perspective I can see where this would be huge (though I don't think it would be easy for Anet to let you link the custom names, the templates that are linked seem to be pre-generated for every possible combination of rune/sigil/stat/piece of equipment combination, IDK if the engine would be able to modify those on the fly. Which limits the ability of this to impact social roleplay). @Illconceived Was Na.9781 also gave an example of how this could be useful to people who don't roleplay. So I can support this.

However, it would also have a pretty small effect on the game overall. The RP community, while sizeable, is not overly large compared to the total population from my understanding, and the situations like what IWN described are certainly limited in nature. If they could implement this with an amount of work that is directly related to how much it will impact the game (in other words, not much effort required to implement it in terms of developer hours) then I say go for it and implement it.

@Ashantara.8731 said:

@blambidy.3216 said:I just thought of it today and would be nice to be able to custom name armor and weapons. For example the name of the dagger says inquest dagger. Would be nice for us to change that name and use it the way we want. Do you guys also think so it should happen?

As someone who is a frequent players of an ego shooter where you can name-tag your weapons, I have to say that I don't see the point of it in GW2. In said shooter, the enemy can read the name of the weapon with which they were killed, and in that case it makes sense (and can also lead to funny encounters). But without anyone else being able to read the name of your weapons or armor, what's the point? It will only confuse you in the long run, and you can't share it with the world.

There's is two good reasons why I think we should. But I don't want the weapon names shown to other people unless we link our armor in chat for people to see. Sometimes people want to know. Or for raids etc.

1. cause why would you not want to name your stuff? It's like your buddy.

2. Because having multiple armor sets is better then having to use transmutation charges to know which armor or weapon it's for. Having to do druid in raids. But then don't want to do that in pve is why it's annoying. Switching armor all over the place every other day is quite annoying. However you don't have to use transmutations every time. Just once when you want to identify the difference.

@Dyfinz.2348 said:

It's not about money; it's about resources: there just aren't enough developers (and won't ever be) to add even most of the good ideas we have (even the ones we all agree would be great).

This outlook does not give one hope about the future of the game.

I don't see why. They have already implemented many of the ideas we have submitted, they have, for the first time since launch, a solid plan for the future that they've shared with us, that includes Living World stories every 2-3 months and an expansion every 18-24 months. It also includes time for new fractals & raids and festivals. And, as they get their rhythm, it has increasingly included other QoL improvements.

It's simply unrealistic to expect that any company is going to have enough resources to implement all the good ideas. We have a lot of ideas and we outnumber them.

Archived