Poelala's BoonBow Build

Poelala.2830

INTRODUCTIONThis build has been hailed in high regard by everyone who has seen it and I even got people who were never ranger mains to main this build after seeing it in action and taking it for a test drive. I've done the math and I'm 100% confident this is THE best build for soulbeast not only for damage, but for survivability too.The build: http://gw2skills.net/editor/?vNAQNBjYD7kSFohFshXwlFgrFsMJYOTuLXmrJA84mA552gbytEpPH-jZhIABc/EAouMw37P4/FAAgDCAA

WHAT CAN BE CHANGED WHILE REMAINING VERY EFFECTIVEWith this build you have some room to wiggle through, but in my experience this is the best version of the build when it comes to overall effectiveness. Changes I've seen include: offhand dagger, surging rune, water rune, menders amulet, annulment sigil on sword/warhorn, sigil of energy on sword/warhorn, Second Skin, and Evasive Purity.

WHAT CANNOT BE CHANGED WHILE REMAINING VERY EFFECTIVEAnything that deals with boons shouldn't be changed. As the build is right now, you have access to every boon in the game and considerably high amounts of them. The heal "We Heal as One!" is absolutely imperative because it doubles your boons, AND it gives your pet double the boons you have. [For example: Using Call of the Wild will give you and your pet 3 might. Since you have the trait "Fortifying Bond" your pet will gain 6 might instead. When you heal, you now have 9 might because you copied the boons from your pet. When you merge you have either 24 or 25 might (I've seen it be either one, not sure which is mathematically right but it's always at least 24 might) due to the trait Fresh Reinforcement. This 24-25 might will last upwards of 10 seconds. 25 stacks of might instantly for more than 10 seconds with just an initial application of 3 might.] Another thing that is absolutely unchangeable is the specs, and and all the soulbeast traits (except with Second Skin which I hear is pretty good). Lastly, to remain effective, you cannot lose Dolyak Stance, Lightning Reflexes, or "Strength of the Pack!". All of those skills are optimal for the build, no exceptions. The signet of stone can be changed with signet of renewal for more cleanses and clutch situations.

HOW TO USE THE BUILD (WOMBO COMBOS)If you've ever played core ranger, thief, or revenant, the build should come easy to you. I'll start by stating that this build has 100% uptime of 25 might. Let me repeat that. 100% uptime... of 25 stacks of might on you. This easily testable fact is why I say that this build is the best for damage, MUCH better than marksmanship soulbeast by miles and miles and miles and miles. Also, it has a handy dandy 100% uptime of protection, swiftness, fury, and vigor.Here are the 25 might stack wombo combos:

1. Call of the Wild > Heal > Merge with pet
  2. Hunter's Call > Strength of the Pack> Heal/Merge/Mission accomplished
  3. Swap to Sword > Heal> MergeAnd many more, but these are the easiest to know.This build also currently regens nearly as much as warrior does due to the regeneration from Windborne Notes and the protection regeneration from Rugged Growth. Not only that, but an easy way to reset is to swap to Jarcanda and merge to use your new f2 (Photosynthesize) and f3 (Spiritual Reprieve). Unlike all my other builds, this build is not a duelist. It can and will win the matchups against engineer, thief, scourge, ele, guardian (non bunk, but you can pressure the heck out of bunk), and revenant. It cannot win any of these while on the node, though. This build is a roamer and +1er (Not to compete with thief; in my opinion their roles are similar but not the same. Thief +1's and decaps while soulbeast +1's and can stick around for the teamfight). And don't forget, Hunter's Call + Rapid Fire is what you want to spam.

ENDING REMARKSThis is the best soulbeast build for sPvP without any contest. It isn't a dueler but it will beat all other soulbeast builds in a duel. It's ridiculously fun and versatile. Tell me what you think about it.

What's the role of this build? where does the survivability comes from?

From what I can see it does less damage than holo damage and it has worse survivability than druid, also you don't have any source of condi cleanse besides lighting reflexes which only cleanses 2 each 24 sec.

Sorry for being rude but did you test this in unranked or something because it's a fun build yeah but not even close to be the best for soulbeast.

@Elxdark.9702 said:What's the role of this build? where does the survivability comes from?

From what I can see it does less damage than holo damage and it has worse survivability than druid, also you don't have any source of condi cleanse besides lighting reflexes which only cleanses 2 each 24 sec.

Sorry for being rude but did you test this in unranked or something because it's a fun build yeah but not even close to be the best for soulbeast.

What you see doesn't seem to be based on any testing of the build at all or any effort of mastery of the build. This build does a lot more damage and has a lot more survivability than engineer as a whole (including scrapper) due to 100% protection uptime, large amounts of heal, easy stealth, and a lot of kiting potential that doesn't require any type of melee pressure. This build is easily capable of pulling off 15k rapid fires, 9k wordly impacts, 5k Hunter's Calls, 5k Smoke Assaults, etc. The cleanses from this build don't just come from lightning reflexes... it comes from heal, lightning reflexes, jarcanda merged f2, elite, and resistance from jarcanda merged f3. That's 8 cleanses and resistance. The only condi build capable of beating this build is probably condi mirage... probably. (Also, holosmith gets destroyed by this build.)

Hey Poe, Einn Sciamel here. I was thinking about posting this build because I have really been enjoying it and appreciate you sharing it with me last week. I am not a highly competitive or top-tier player, so my experience may not have as much weight, but regardless, I love the build and definitely recommend people try it out. It has felt very solid so far. I thought I would feel vulnerable having a heal on a 25-second cooldown, but its sustain helps make up for it. It'd be nice to run Bear Stance, but WHaO is so integral to the synergy of the spec for me to try it yet.

Also, I thought I'd share a drafted build I have since the patch has dropped:http://gw2skills.net/editor/?vNAQNBjYD7kSFojXshXwlFgrFsMJYOTuLXmLP3+bPuNBgH3EokzlG-jpxHQBXrMAAOIAD4IAEwLAw3eAAib/BA

I have been playing around with Moa Stance because its ridiculous 15 second duration synergizes so well with the spec if you trait for LotP, and it is a reliable source of Protection. It's really nice for Dolyak Stance as well, and honestly OWP feels a lot better than before, so I've been playing around with that sometimes too. Only problem with taking Moa Stance is you have to sacrifice an ever-precious utility slot. Hard to fully say if it's worth it or not, but it has felt good so far; it's a damn solid stance now when traited.

Dolyak feels necessary, I agree. The third utility choice, however, is hard: Lightning Reflexes feels the best so far (so much Vigor!) but I feel naked without Signet of Stone. I also have been playing around with Sic 'Em and Quickening Zephyr (which I would probably retrait Essence of Speed for) but it's riskier not having an oh-shit button. LR seems like the best choice so far.

For elite, I feel Strength of the Pack, One Wolf Pack (traited), and Entangle are all potential options depending on the situation, but LotP is probably still the most solid and well-rounded choice which is why I have it chosen for this build. However, it has been fun watching Scourges melt faster with Hunter's Call-->Rapid Fire when running OWP.

I do have to say that I feel more susceptible to condis on this build than I had with previous builds of mine (no Troll Unguent and double survival utilities), but it feels so far like the strengths outweigh the weaknesses. I feel more like a powerhouse. Would I run this in a condi-heavy comp? Probably not. I still steer clear condi Mirages (because fuck them), but having potentially perma-Protection helps alleviate the condi damage by 33%, which is something. Spellbreakers have actually felt more manageable so far (partially thanks to their nerfs). Their boon-hate isn't as scary as Scourges' because (a) they don't corrupt and (b) they don't have the range/radius that Scourges have.

Definitely not a perfected build so far, but I have been enjoying it.

(On a related note, I hadn't realized until now that with Moa Stance active, you over-cap on Boon Duration with Leadership Runes, so Surging is actually a tempting choice as well and I may play with that a bit more too.)

@shadowpass.4236 said:This build can be tweaked to be a lot better. There are several inconsistencies that could be fixed.

http://gw2skills.net/editor/?vNAQNBjYD7kQFolFskFwhXgrFsMJY592g7x1Jyd5ycNBgH3EoEp/G-jphIABUXGw/DCA3XAAAOCA7/AA+e/BA

I'd probably use this instead.

The build OP is running is very legit in 1v1, it's a dueling build with few minor changes like offhand used to be dagger and in given time he will change to Second Skin to help counter condition builds, it can't beat good Condition Mesmers.

If he made the changes you suggest it would make the build weaker. Not sure you have given his build solid run in Que's I have, only reason I didn't like it was without offhand WH there isn't much mobility and I didn't wanna give up Greatsword.

@Sol.4310 said:

@shadowpass.4236 said:This build can be tweaked to be a lot better. There are several inconsistencies that could be fixed.

I'd probably use this instead.

The build OP is running is very legit in 1v1, it's a dueling build with few minor changes like offhand used to be dagger and in given time he will change to Second Skin to help counter condition builds, it can't beat good Condition Mesmers.

If he made the changes you suggest it would make the build weaker. Not sure you have given his build solid run in Que's I have, only reason I didn't like it was without offhand WH there isn't much mobility and I didn't wanna give up Greatsword.

I've used the build I linked in Ranked several times already. I'm not sure I understand why you'd call my changes weaker, so I'll explain:

1. Double agility sigils don't work. They are on an 18 second internal cooldown, thus, one of those sigils will be completely useless during a fight.
  2. Instinctive Reaction's additional stats largely go to waste. Its an extra 150 health on your healing skill every 25 seconds. Or, 10 health per second.
  3. Also, the quickness from Instinctive Reaction only triggers if you drop below 50% health. Bountiful Hunter would be more helpful overall if you are able to remain at high health for the majority of the fight, as it applies a constant damage bonus to both you and your pet.
  4. Untraited healing skill = bad. Traited healing skill = good.
  5. Granted, the build does have stability, but the extra stunbreak on Unstoppable Union is extremely helpful in many situations. Not to mention that the unblockable is amazing as well. Fresh Reinforcement isn't good asides from stacking might, but you should be able to maintain 25 stacks of might anyways with that build.
  6. Leader of the Pack traited gives you 9 second of Dolyak Stance. This is pretty solid on its own but it also double stacks on your pet, essentially making it cc immune and also helps your team guarantee safe stomps in a fight.
  7. Oppressive Superiority and Instinctive Reaction are counterintuitive to take together. The former wants you to stay as close as possible to full health, while the latter only gives you the bonus for dropping below half.
  8. If used correctly, Gazelle will get you out of more sticky situations than Jacaranda will. Not to mention, tying in the pet's cc in your damage rotation is very helpful as well. Jacaranda's Heal isn't amazing without healing power and the pet itself is fairly lackluster.
  9. The only thing on the build that I wouldn't mind changing is if you swapped Lightning Reflexes/Quickening Zephyr out for Signet of Stone. But that's personal preference.

@Sol.4310

I don't know what was the OP build you talk about, but after many,many tests I made a build who looks almost the same with the one of @shadowpass.4236.http://en.gw2skills.net/editor/?vNUQNBjYD7kQFohXskFwVQglXsMJYOVuKQmLv3OcPuNBgH3EokzlG-jlCEQBOU5Xb0wAgjAg/U/5BHEA4t/ABeAAI4CAsRlguT3wmhAghEYVlqqqSKAzVGB-wI know mine is for WvW roaming and his is for sPVP, but it is almost the same. This build is very powerful, you have in the same time survivability, power and some sharable things with the group. I will not expalin now why I choose that or that, but if you want we can talk about each trait and utilities, if or why are good or wrong.I don't know which one of you are better , I don't claim I am better than you neither, but in sPVP and WvW, with this build I beat every class, only condi mesmer (if he is a good player ofc) put me serious problems.Anyway, I don't see the reason you talk rude, just think you have a different pov. You can argue or not with examples or details about why you or he choose wrong or not.

• 8 months later...

@EnderzShadow.2506 said:

@Miaz.8521 said:Soulbeast is useless in PvP just give up lol.Lets revisit it in 6 months because thats the balance pass scheulde lol

Its been a little more than 6 months. Whutcha think?

Soulbeast is useless right? :P

@Poelala.2830Big talk to PhantaramYou still running the above?

I still play soulbeast, yeah. Still my boon bow build that I posted in november, too.

• 3 weeks later...

@HeadCrowned.6834 said:

@shadowpass.4236 said:For side noding,

Longbow is...Good against: WarriorBad against: Holo, Mes

Axe is...Good against: Holo, MesBad against: Warrior

Both core and soulbeast axe builds are decent versus warrior, especially soulbeast.

Yeah they're decent. I'll edit that.

Longbow definitely beats axe against warrior though.

@Dragonzhunter.8506 said:

@Sol.4310

I don't know what was the OP build you talk about, but after many,many tests I made a build who looks almost the same with the one of @shadowpass.4236.
I know mine is for WvW roaming and his is for sPVP, but it is almost the same. This build is very powerful, you have in the same time survivability, power and some sharable things with the group. I will not expalin now why I choose that or that, but if you want we can talk about each trait and utilities, if or why are good or wrong.I don't know which one of you are better , I don't claim I am better than you neither, but in sPVP and WvW, with this build I beat every class, only condi mesmer (if he is a good player ofc) put me serious problems.Anyway, I don't see the reason you talk rude, just think you have a different pov. You can argue or not with examples or details about why you or he choose wrong or not.

I am inetrested in learning this build. It looks unique and interesting and flavorful.

Archived