Why are gorillas extinct?

Boingo.5264

Super unimportant question here. I’ve been playing GW2 since beta — never played the first Guild Wars. Is there a lore-related explanation for why there are no living [non undead] gorillas in the game?

I think they’d be a great addition to jungle maps, would be cool ranger pets, and possibly even mount skins.

To add to this, Orr was destroyed 250 years before Guild Wars 2 started by an event called the Cataclysm. Vizier Khilbron used forbidden magic against and attacking charr army. The power of the spell wiped out the charr army, but also sank the entire penisula into the sea, killing everyone in the Kingdom and, presumably, all the gorillas.

Keep in mind there were no gorillas in Guild Wars 1 either because the cataclysm happened before the game started, or at least, during a two year period between the prologue to the game, and the game itself.

Orr didn't rise out of the sea until many years later, after Zhaitan awoke. The orrian undead are not just corrupted people from zhaitan waking but all the orrians who lived 250 years ago.

There were no gorillas in GW1, either. The closest we had were tusked howlers/hunters (kind of ape-like creatures found in Kourna) and simians, which were found in the Tarnished Coast area (added with the GW:EN expansion). Since there aren't any in GW2, other than the Risen Gorillas in Orr, I've always just assumed that they only existed on Orr and all drowned and became Risen.

@Boingo.5264 said:Super unimportant question here. I’ve been playing GW2 since beta — never played the first Guild Wars. Is there a lore-related explanation for why there are no living [non undead] gorillas in the game?

I think they’d be a great addition to jungle maps, would be cool ranger pets, and possibly even mount skins.

Probably scared of this ape rivals from gw 1 eotn :-p Look at those claws.

https://wiki.guildwars.com/wiki/Simian_Spiritcaller

@Tekoneiric.6817 said:I wish there was a gorilla ranger pet. They could taunt by beating their chest, rush the target and use sticks or rocks to bludgeon their targets. Maybe even occasionally grab the target and fling them back and forth like the Hunk did Loki. ;)

I've wanted gorillas as ranger pets for so long! It'd be awesome to have that kind of muscle and power at your side, and the couple ideas you have about skills would be cool as well! Maybe they can also have a skill where they grab a chunk of debris and hurl it at foes in front of them, and another skill where they smash the floor, causing an AoE quake around their location. Fun ideas to play with!

Also...

like the Hunk did Loki. ;)

lol, the Incredible Hunk. :lol:

• 1 month later...

There's a similar theory about horses. People in Tyria seem to know what horses (and ponys) are, but we never see any. But in GW1 one of the types of Orrian undead you could encounter were Necrid Horsemen, so some people think horses lived in Orr and they were all killed in the Cataclysm.

Although the thing the horsemen are riding appears to have at least 4 eyes and 2 pairs of horns. But that might just be what horses look like in Tyria.

@"Danikat.8537" said:There's a similar theory about horses. People in Tyria seem to know what horses (and ponys) are, but we never see any. But in GW1 one of the types of Orrian undead you could encounter were Necrid Horsemen, so some people think horses lived in Orr and they were all killed in the Cataclysm.

Although the thing the horsemen are riding appears to have at least 4 eyes and 2 pairs of horns. But that might just be what horses look like in Tyria.

Abaddorse, if you will.

Archived