Still homeless (

Zionka.6897

I know this is an old subject, but I haven't seen it brought up for a really long time. It's the biggest thing missing for me, and it makes me sad every time I enter my "home instance" it's a neighborhood, not a home.. sheesh. I recently got a bunch of the cats and can't even find half of them in any of the instances, because they're all so big. Is it truly that hard to have an option of instancing one of the buildings in the cities, rather than a whole neighborhood?Player housing has always been a part of games for me that I've enjoyed tinkering with. I realize some people have every single item and node available in the game, and could create some issues with placements... maybe a large courtyard or back yard? I dunno.. I mean, we did save the world and all, we can be afforded a large home I think! I've looked for other threads on the topic, but nothing comes up other than blogs from like 2014. Is this not an issue for most players? I don't really care if things remain auto-placement.. I just want to be able to find them in my own space. That's all. It just seems like it wouldn't take a whole lot of development, so I don't know why we still don't have homes.

I still think it would be cool if we could own a plot of land somewhere and use the decoration system from Guild Halls in it.

Even if everyone has the same plot of instance space you can still make it unique by adding your own items to it. It would also give scribe a bigger use outside of guilds and lets solo players and those without decoration access be able to use the decoration system.

@Inculpatus cedo.9234 said:Almost all of the cats are on the (rather compact) ground floor of Dreamer's Terrace; have you tried looking there?

yes, dreamer's terrace is the one I usually use, because of the size, I see most there, but the ones with a pot I still haven't found, I'm wondering if I can only get them there during wintersday.. I did feed all 4 the heated soups, I dunno. And the other ones I guess I need to get the nodes for them to show up. But it all just reminded me how much I'd like a real home.

Sorry to break it to you but these are very common subjects. And i advocate against them, strongly, not because i am necessarily against them, but because i believe anet does not have enough resources to keep the game running in its current model. A type of content that would add nothing but background drops but be very cost intensive for anet to make seems like a bad idea in my mind. I would recommend you get a guild hall and decorate that instead.Personally, i don't like player housing in online games as much as in single player games anyway.

I rather the devs to work on other content and driving the story forward BUT if it became a thing I would much rather see a overhaul of the Home District than making a new "zone".

The concept of home districts were IMO good, but post launch its usefulness for storytelling has been mostly neglected. Now it is more a storage room that is littered with all manner of ugly nodes and event/seasonal object. It is like that one drawer I have at home that I add crap I don't know where to put, but never bother to clean out because, suprise, it has so much crap in it (it is a vicious cycle).

@Zionka.6897 said:How is it cost intensive to make an existing house or building an instance? Black citadel is a perfect example of breaking what are essentially apartments into instances.

creating an instance isn't. But would you be satisfied with a small area with red borders, and with nothing to do in them? kinda pointless don't you think. You cant make half a thing and sell it. Either it's a home instance or it's not. And if it is, it requires mechanics and coding and that is all very cost intensive

I would not mind having this feature, I enjoyed it in Skyrim. Although I would not expect it to be anything similar, the concept could still be fun, I don't know how practical it would be, but who knows. It could certainly bring in some extra revenue for Anet.

Guild halls feel like the Closet of GW, acting more like a storage space for decorations. Home instances don't give you the feeling like its your own space, and you cannot do anything with it, aside from adding items.

@Ayakaru.6583 said:

@Zionka.6897 said:How is it cost intensive to make an existing house or building an instance? Black citadel is a perfect example of breaking what are essentially apartments into instances.

But would you be satisfied with a small area with red borders, and with nothing to do in them?

Yes, yes I would, if it was an actual home instance and not a neighborhood instance. it's not like the current setup has anything to do in it. The only difference between the current and what I'd like to see is size and feel. Also I'm not looking at this as something to pay for, although I could deal with a "rent" I guess. Rather just an added option for normal game content. I guess I'm a minority though, in wishing for it. Also, the guild I'm in only has a few players, and even though we formed on launch day, still have no hall... Maybe that's why I'm yearning for something like this. Hmmm how about a small guild clubhouse?? hmm? yeah! claim with just a couple people. Oh that's another thread.

Fully agree with you OP. I rarely go to my home instance as it just doesn't feel like a 'home', it has no personal feel to it. The current home instances feel too big for one player, and even with extra nodes and stuff there's not really anything in it anyway. A single house would be much nicer imo.

I'd love it if we could have an instanced actual house, the nodes could still move across, could be lined up out front, or have a room for them, probably lose the vendors but I don't really see that as an issue. Of course if they added some way to personalise it like how we can with guild halls (which are way too big for 1 player, before people try to say use one of those as a house!) then that would be ideal.

I'm sure there are existing buildings in cities that could be used (or that occupy a space where they could be replaced with a suitable one). I'd prefer it if the houses were available in the open world (still as an instance to enter), I've said in the past the option to buy a house in the starting areas would be nice. But at the moment I think I'd settle for any form of housing.

I would have to say Norn got the best housing, don't really need upper floor but it's not hard to travel around.Asura's got second for me quick and simple yet there is one hell of a waterfall and the map is really simple with node layout, only downfall is unlike the Norn it lacks a proper vendor.Charr is third though it's really a toss up between them and the Sylvari. To much travel just to get to the nodes.Probably the worst is the humans, it's basically a village and that makes it harder to travel quickly. Wish they would let us use mounts in there, would minimize much of the excessive travel.

I would have been happy if PoF had one less mount and we got a homestead or Dragon's Watch guild hall option instead. I think the jackal really wasn't needed and only added because they insisted on putting in sand portals. If they had updrafts and the griffon supported it we really wouldn't need sand portals. A few places would have had to be slightly different. Sand portal access for walking, gliding or using other mounts could have just been on it's own mastery track.

@Zionka.6897 said:

@Ayakaru.6583 said:

But would you be satisfied with a small area with red borders, and with nothing to do in them?

Yes, yes I would, if it was an actual home instance and not a neighborhood instance. it's not like the current setup has anything to do in it. The only difference between the current and what I'd like to see is size and feel. Also I'm not looking at this as something to pay for, although I could deal with a "rent" I guess. Rather just an added option for normal game content. I guess I'm a minority though, in wishing for it. Also, the guild I'm in only has a few players, and even though we formed on launch day, still have no hall... Maybe that's why I'm yearning for something like this. Hmmm how about a small guild clubhouse?? hmm? yeah! claim with just a couple people. Oh that's another thread.

What Aya was saying is there would need to be textures added, and have a new system put in place to move things (all decorations) in every position at very least to be an actual home instance.

I have never understood player housing, myself. If you want to play the Sims, go play it. This a hack and slash RPG, so play that game. Not every game needs to be the same. We have guild housing in place, I would prefer to see combat and world mechanics that have been buggy for so long to be fixed, or more balance between classes (renegade SB) before a second, separate form of housing implemented.

It's not about wanting to play sims, it's about having a well-rounded experience. Tyria is my home.. it's the only MMO I play now. I don't like PvP, yet I'm not on that forum saying you are just a bunch of whiners.. lol. People enjoy different aspects of games. If I made Tyria my home, I'd just like one.. That's all I'm sayin'.

My last post here, I need to go to bed! I just want to make clear I'm not visualizing a home I'm decorating and "playing house" in. All I hope for is the same mechanics as current home instance, just a different setting inside a pre-existing structure. Many are already furnished houses. The items and nodes currently in what we have would just be auto-placed in the home area. The only one I see a problem with is the sylvari.. Something functional might have to be added for that one to work. But if something like this ever does get looked at, and granted, even to me it's nothing of great importance, just a wish list thing, I'd be surprised if the same people who work on balance and bugs are the same people who work on this type of thing.

I remember when the game was launching this was a key feature they were mentioning; Player homes where you could bring out your miniatures to roam around, put up trophies, I -think- they mentioned about displaying armor / weapons kind of like back in gw1? < that last bit might just be me making it up.

I think they should add a base free home in the home instance for your character to have a house. I really like the inclusive characters from your story, but they kind of ended that with the starter zone story. I think that the player's home / instance should be continually updated throughout their entire story - Treasures / npcs / paintings from their faction / alliance (Whispers, Vigil, Priory), Orrian artifacts, Heart of Thorns stuff, Living World items.. etc.

Also, a library to read all of the scattered volumes in the game would be nice.

For real money houses / bought with in game gold houses, I would suggest taking Elder Scrolls Online's model. You can buy them with the in game gold or real money, all of the houses are instanced (so no worry about stressing your players out with rushing to buy up all plots - looking at you FFXIV), and overall it added a lot of revenue / players back into the game. Just dropping this link here...

Even if I wouldn't do much with it, it'd be nice to have a spot of my own. A place for our achievements to get screen time, and an alternative way to make use of Scribe. As characters, we've done a lot of good for the various communities in the world, so maybe a few places could have plots of land we could build up: A loft in Lion's Arch with a view of the water, a mansion in DivReach, an office in a barracks of Black Citadel, or an outpost near Amnoon.It'd be a fantastic in game reward. :+1:

Archived