Do You Want Capes? I want capes.

Aridon.8362

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

@"Fluffball.8307" said:Charr, not charrs. They should give charr little mini capes like an adult wearing a child's superhero costume. Would be no less inappropriate than the anime hair they give them.

It is not about approriateness (Lawd knows Anet threw that out the window ages ago!) but how the cape would "fall":

With characters that stand upright like a human would, the cape naturally falls/flows down the back without hitting anything (unless your character has some serious bootay in the trunk). Charr on the other hand, with their hunchback of notre dame thing they got going on, would have a cape fall through their bodies when a cape is hung across their shoulders, clipping through the body - unless you seriously muck about with cape physics and body hitboxes to get something that looks halfways decent.

Anet - I think - toyed around with capes and the like during initial development but found that any solution to this problem with Charr was less than satisfactionary and made them decide that rather to give capes to everyone but Charr, they gave it to no-one.

EDIT: That being said of course, I'd love nothing more than a big fuzzy fur cloak/pelt for my Norn - naturally. But I don't think it'll ever happen.

We should totally get capes as backpiece skins since we literally have some now with pof backpieces.

@Ben Phongluangtham.1065 replied:Capes are problematic. They are difficult to animate well. Especially when it comes to tails. I know we had them in GW1, but animations there were much less complicated, including not having the ability to jump.

@Oglaf.1074 said:

@"Fluffball.8307" said:Charr, not charrs. They should give charr little mini capes like an adult wearing a child's superhero costume. Would be no less inappropriate than the anime hair they give them.

It is not about approriateness (Lawd knows Anet threw that out the window ages ago!) but how the cape would "fall":

With characters that stand upright like a human would, the cape naturally falls/flows down the back without hitting anything (unless your character has some serious bootay in the trunk). Charr on the other hand, with their hunchback of notre dame thing they got going on, would have a cape fall through their bodies when a cape is hung across their shoulders, clipping through the body - unless you seriously muck about with cape physics and body hitboxes to get something that looks halfways decent.

Anet - I
think
- toyed around with capes and the like during initial development but found that any solution to this problem with Charr was less than satisfactionary and made them decide that rather to give capes to everyone but Charr, they gave it to no-one.

EDIT: That being said of course, I'd love nothing more than a big fuzzy fur cloak/pelt for my Norn - naturally. But I don't think it'll ever happen.

Ah I thought you meant the tail.

@Fluffball.8307 said:

@Fluffball.8307 said:Charr, not charrs. They should give charr little mini capes like an adult wearing a child's superhero costume. Would be no less inappropriate than the anime hair they give them.

Anet - I
think
- toyed around with capes and the like during initial development but found that any solution to this problem with Charr was less than satisfactionary and made them decide that rather to give capes to everyone but Charr, they gave it to no-one.

Ah I thought you meant the tail.

Well, as @Illconceived Was Na.9781 points out, apparently the tail was also causing a headache (as one would imagine with longer cloak types).

Point remains the same - those damnable Charr ruined it for everyone! :D

@Oglaf.1074 said:Well, as @Illconceived Was Na.9781 points out, apparently the tail was also causing a headache (as one would imagine with longer cloak types).

Although to be fair, not just the tail. That just is ... rancid gravy on the cake. From Ben P's comment, it sounds as if Capes give the designers hairballs even without any Charr involved. (Although, it's open to interpretation. Ben P wasn't exactly detailed about the issues, which is to be expected: he's the PvP dude, not the fashion guru.)

@Illconceived Was Na.9781 said:

@Oglaf.1074 said:Well, as @Illconceived Was Na.9781 points out, apparently the tail was also causing a headache (as one would imagine with longer cloak types).

Although to be fair, not just the tail. That just is ... rancid gravy on the cake. From Ben P's comment, it sounds as if Capes give the designers hairballs even without any Charr involved. (Although, it's open to interpretation. Ben P wasn't exactly detailed about the issues, which is to be expected: he's the PvP dude, not the fashion guru.)

Oh yes, capes suck! I've done some hobby modding of the game Mount & Blade (there's a Warhammer Fantasy mod called "Warsword Conquest" that I was involved with, making armour and weapons for the various fantasy races) and capes are terrible.

Lots of the back of legs and feet clipping through as the characters move about...

It's not just GW2, or Mount & Blade or whatever other game/s you can name - capes are really hard to get right with modern graphics and physics engines. Loose hanging cloth is one of the most complicated things to animate because so many things affect how it moves. Flags, curtains etc. are mostly doable but attach a sheet of loose cloth to a person who is running, jumping, rolling around and you've got a lot of issues to deal with.

It can be done, when necessary, but most of the time it's not worth the effort. For example the Batman Arkham games - one series where the main character absolutely had to have a cape - did have one, but one person spent 2 years doing nothing but animating that cape and it required over 700 unique animations...and even then people say they didn't get it completely right.

It can also be quite hard on the game engine to run all that, which means lag. Especially when you've got 50 people with capes to animate.

@"Danikat.8537" said:It's not just GW2, or Mount & Blade or whatever other game/s you can name - capes are really hard to get right with modern graphics and physics engines. Loose hanging cloth is one of the most complicated things to animate because so many things affect how it moves. Flags, curtains etc. are mostly doable but attach a sheet of loose cloth to a person who is running, jumping, rolling around and you've got a lot of issues to deal with.

It can be done, when necessary, but most of the time it's not worth the effort. For example the Batman Arkham games - one series where the main character absolutely had to have a cape - did have one, but one person spent 2 years doing nothing but animating that cape and it required over 700 unique animations...and even then people say they didn't get it completely right.

It can also be quite hard on the game engine to run all that, which means lag. Especially when you've got 50 people with capes to animate.

Really, the easiest solution would probably be "fake capes" in that they are essentially solid or semi-solid backpieces that merely look like a cape. For big, furry pelts it would probably end up looking alright but with thinner, more fancier capes that you'd expect to flutter in the wind it would look quite awkward.

I can't vote because the option valid for me is not available: My yes is conditional: "Yes but only if they are optional or/and can be hidden".

I find capes cool. To have them back would be nice. However, I want to be able to hide it (like in GW1). Two reasons:

• I do love to see my full set armor/haircut/weapon and the color match I worked out for them together. A cape is hiding, so I want it off most of the time. This is also the reason why I always hide backpack (except a few) and don't use shield as weapon.
  • There are generally too many clipping issues with weapons, armor/outfit and hair already. I do not want to add more, and a cape is a big risk for more clipping issues.

Capes get in the way of combat, they have aerodynamic issues which would interfere with gliders, they're an ornament, for parades and whatnot, not practical in the slightest, other stuff, blah blah blah. (Arguably all irrelevant when you see the size of the weaponry and shoulder armour in the game.)

Real reason I say no? The clipping would be terrible. There's too much of that as it is. No need to waste those resources on adding more. I have a supposition banners are the middle ground (and even then, they don't avoid clipping, as the charr image in the thread suggests). Also, having capes would be like over-egging the already rather over-egged ornamentation-based armour available.

Archived