Bunny mount skin name change?

Oglaf.1074

And I've only now realised it didn't say 'chevron' (as in a zig-zag pattern). I've never heard goat meat called chevon, in the UK it's always just called goat as far as I know. But now I know what the word is and what it means the change does make sense.

@Oglaf.1074 said:

@"Ariurotl.3718" said:Yeah, they changed it. Might have something to do with the fact that "chevon" is mostly used to describe goat meat, not living goats. It's like having a pig mount named "Pork".

I wouldn't mind that, tbh.

It's cute.

It sometimes seems like about 1/2 the pig pets in the game are called 'Bacon' or some variation on that.

@"Ariurotl.3718" said:Yeah, they changed it. Might have something to do with the fact that "chevon" is mostly used to describe goat meat, not living goats. It's like having a pig mount named "Pork".

Bacon! Yes Bacon would be a more fitting name. And when we ride it thru town, it leaves a bacon trail and npc's turn toward you and go "mmmmm bacon"!

@Danikat.8537 said:And I've only now realised it didn't say 'chevron' (as in a zig-zag pattern). I've never heard goat meat called chevon, in the UK it's always just called goat as far as I know. But now I know what the word is and what it means the change does make sense.

It's cute.

It sometimes seems like about 1/2 the pig pets in the game are called 'Bacon' or some variation on that.

IRL, when I was a kid, my family raised a couple of pigs named Ham and pork Chop. (And in the anime Silver Spoon, the main character raises a pig named Pork Bowl.)

Wildhorn is more memorable than Chevon, and will probably lead to people actually calling the mount a wildhorn, instead of a goatelope.

@"Illconceived Was Na.9781" said:That and... I met a "Siobhan" whose parents decided their name would best be spelled, "Chevon." (Not even "Shavon" or "Shevon", but yeah, "Chevon.")

Parents spelling names phonetically seems to be getting more common, especially with this one. Which is probably good for the kids because even in the UK anyone called Siobhan will spend their life being called 'Sio-ban' or 'sibo-han' or some other phonetic pronunciation. In this case I suspect they were thinking of Chevonne, which is similar but importantly not also the name of a food.

One thing I've learned from naming characters in games (and one or two unfortunate pets) is it's good to google a name first and see what comes up. Especially with everything getting more and more international these days. It'd be unfortunate for example to call your kid Randy and then have them move to the UK or end up working with a lot of British people. Sure we know it's a normal name in America, but there's going to be jokes too.

@"Cragga the Eighty Third.6015" said:

@Danikat.8537 said:And I've only now realised it didn't say 'chevron' (as in a zig-zag pattern). I've never heard goat meat called chevon, in the UK it's always just called goat as far as I know. But now I know what the word is and what it means the change does make sense.

It's cute.

IRL, when I was a kid, my family raised a couple of pigs named Ham and pork Chop. (And in the anime Silver Spoon, the main character raises a pig named Pork Bowl.)

Wildhorn is more memorable than Chevon, and will probably lead to people actually calling the mount a wildhorn, instead of a goatelope.

My dad always threatened to call one of our ducks 'A L'orange', but he never actually did. (He did call one Marma so he could come in every morning and say "Look what Marma laid!") We did have two called Almond and Custard and another 3 called Cocoa, Cadbury and Bourneville after the chocolate brands, but that was because of their colouring.

@Biff.5312 said:

@"Ariurotl.3718" said:Might have something to do with the fact that "chevon" is mostly used to describe goat meat, not living goats. It's like having a pig mount named "Pork".

Nobody would ever name a pig 'pork'.

"Nope, can't imagine anyone would name an animal after food," Tom said

.nAa4xXa.jpg

_edit: better image, showing the original sockpuppet testifying before the US Congress in 1993_

Archived