New legendary GS likely? — Guild Wars 2 Forums

New legendary GS likely?

Hey folks!

I was wondering what you guys are thinking whether there will be another legendary GS in the near future (maybe even next episode...?) or if you say "Sunrise + Twilight + Eternity is more than enough.". Perhaps there is some rumor about a new legendary GS? Share the wisdom please =)

Thanks in advance!

Comments

• Zeefa.3915Zeefa.3915 Member ✭✭✭

I would say a new legendary gs is more than likely. Even though the gs got special treatment in the first generation of legendaries it is unlikely that it would mean no second generation gs. Could see them adding it last though... maybe...
    Besides the gs we still need, dagger, scepter, warhorn and longbow... I believe we are getting 1 legendary with each new episode of LS, so it can end up being quite a while still, and we wont know untill it later on.

• Kheldorn.5123Kheldorn.5123 Member ✭✭✭

We will see all terrestial weapon types with gen2.

• I doubt it, I think it will be the last one made because the original game gave us 3 Legendary Great Swords between the Light one, the Dark one, and the Oreo one that combined them both.

• MikeL.8260MikeL.8260 Member ✭✭✭

Well the Eternity trio remains one of the best looking legendaries, Eternity itself probably THE best since it combines two in one and then some, I'd rather see other weapons get the same treatment.

• @MikeL.8260 said:
    Well the Eternity trio remains one of the best looking legendaries, Eternity itself probably THE best since it combines two in one and then some, I'd rather see other weapons get the same treatment.

If you are into all that manga huge sword style, then yes. Alas, tastes may differ.
    For me personally, getting the Eternity trio is not worth the effort. Thus, this thread was created. I hope for a nice legendary GS in the style of the Shining Blade perhaps. But as I said, tastes may differ.

• Oglaf.1074Oglaf.1074 Member ✭✭✭

Sadly I don’t think it will happen in a good while. Not until every other weapon has at least two Legendaries to their names.

Please Anet give us a hide Chest Armour-option. Tattoo-clad Norns everywhere beg of you.

• @Oglaf.1074 said:
    Sadly I don’t think it will happen in a good while. Not until every other weapon has at least two Legendaries to their names.

No way. The current family of GSs is gen 1.
    They will make a full (minus aquatic) set of gen 2. Thus, gen 2 will get a GS.

Sometime among the nearest 5 LW releases we'll get a new GS. I'd bet it'll be last, but I wouldn't bet much.

• Crossaber.8934Crossaber.8934 Member ✭✭✭
    edited February 13, 2018

The gen 1 legendary greatsword having 3 skin is actually a delusion. The eternity skin actually just sunrise and twilight day and night, it is totally not worth the cost by combining 2 legendaries. I remember there is one customized eternity gs created by a player, if his version is being used, i will definitely combine my sunrise and twilight in a heart beat.

Back to topic, there will be a gen 2 GS definitely, we will see.

Cross

• I think it will get one because the three current ones are just the same model with different textures and effect colors, nothing hard to make those different. It wasn't hard to make the exact same sword but with different colors and effects. I consider it "one" legendary greatsword due to the resources involved.

• I think Eternity is one of the worst looking, so I'd hope for a greatsword that doesn't look flat.

• @Plautze.6290 said:
    Hey folks!

I was wondering what you guys are thinking whether there will be another legendary GS in the near future (maybe even next episode...?) or if you say "Sunrise + Twilight + Eternity is more than enough.". Perhaps there is some rumor about a new legendary GS? Share the wisdom please =)

Thanks in advance!

There will definetly be one, since they're doing a full set (minus water weapons), but because there's already 3 of them it's probably going to be the final legendary weapon (unless it fits thematically with one of the earlier episodes).

• I would agree that there will be a new greatsword and it will be one of the last to be released.

• Zaraki.5784Zaraki.5784 Member ✭✭✭

It's 100% sure to happen, 5 remaining gen 2 legendary weapons (including GS) for 5 remaining chapters of LS.

@Zaraki.5784 said:
    It's 100% sure to happen, 5 remaining gen 2 legendary weapons (including GS) for 5 remaining chapters of LS.

AFAIK they never said how many episodes season 4 is going to be.

• Zaraki.5784Zaraki.5784 Member ✭✭✭

@Kheldorn.5123 said:

@Zaraki.5784 said:

I know but that's the most likely scenario.

• I bet they’ll use the design a weapon contest 2nd place winner for how the next legendary GS will look. Just a thought.

@Zaraki.5784 said:

@Kheldorn.5123 said:

@Zaraki.5784 said:

I would say yes if we expect new expac being released at the beginning of 2019. Keep in mind we had 9 months of nothing after HoT until LW3 started. But LW4 released right after PoF. So either they expand pauses between episodes to 3 months always or we get more episodes to get next expac about 2 years after PoF.

• Astralporing.1957Astralporing.1957 Member ✭✭✭
    edited February 13, 2018

@Kheldorn.5123 said:

@Zaraki.5784 said:

@Kheldorn.5123 said:

@Zaraki.5784 said:

I would say yes if we expect new expac being released at the beginning of 2019. Keep in mind we had 9 months of nothing after HoT until LW3 started. But LW4 released right after PoF. So either they expand pauses between episodes to 3 months always or we get more episodes to get next expac about 2 years after PoF.

They can always do a season 5 without an expac in between seasons. There was no expac between s1 and s2.

The whole point of a social game is to play with the people you want to play with, not be forced to play with the people you don't.

@Astralporing.1957 said:

@Kheldorn.5123 said:

@Zaraki.5784 said:

@Kheldorn.5123 said:

@Zaraki.5784 said:

They can always do a season 5 without an expac in between seasons. There was no expac between s1 and s2.

I wouldn't use s1 and s2 as any indicator here. At that time game had no clear direction. It changed only about HoT. Especially during s1 they believed they can deliver expansion worth of content with these releases. Also, why making 2 seasons between expacs when you can just make single season with 10 or 12 episodes?

• Astralporing.1957Astralporing.1957 Member ✭✭✭
    edited February 13, 2018

@Kheldorn.5123 said:

@Astralporing.1957 said:

@Kheldorn.5123 said:

@Zaraki.5784 said:

@Kheldorn.5123 said:

@Zaraki.5784 said:

I wouldn't use s1 and s2 as any indicator here. At that time game had no clear direction. It changed only about HoT. Especially during s1 they believed they can deliver expansion worth of content with these releases. Also, why making 2 seasons between expacs when you can just make single season with 10 or 12 episodes?

Story continuity and pacing. That way they can change story midway, and don't need to do a single massive story arc.

The whole point of a social game is to play with the people you want to play with, not be forced to play with the people you don't.

@Astralporing.1957 said:

@Kheldorn.5123 said:

@Astralporing.1957 said:

@Kheldorn.5123 said:

@Zaraki.5784 said:

@Kheldorn.5123 said:

@Zaraki.5784 said:

Story continuity and pacing. That way they can change story midway, and don't need to do a single massive story arc.

Unless they want to.

• Razor.6392Razor.6392 Member ✭✭✭

Hopefully a scepter.

• cptaylor.2670cptaylor.2670 Member ✭✭✭

Still leaning towards the Scepter being the Scepter of Orr at some point. Would be interesting if Livia returned and had something to do with the resolution of our current Awakened problem.

I imagine if we get that Gandara? Fortress zone at some point we would get a similarly themed longbow for that release.

If we get Dakjah Isles I can see a warhorn or a dagger. (Somekind of Corsair themed dagger?)

Greatsword will most likely be the last one though. Being such a popular weapon I imagine it will be the one they have the most difficult time making a design decision on because it could be extremely poorly received depending on the theme.

What theme greatsword would you want?

I'm leaning towards it being potentially made out of a piece of Kralk and being a giant crystalline blade that has a crystalline effect on your character similar to the way Colossus has metallic. (Could make a potentially perfect Mesmer greatsword.)

Only other theme I can think of that might fit would be something fitting the Elona region wielded by some primordial king or something.

Definitely looking forward to another one I might actually want to pursue. Ipos is great, but I don't really use focus on anything so unless they release an elite spec that uses it and fits the theme like a demon-summoning or lich-type necro spec I'll probably pass.

And really hoping the Longbow has unique projectiles similar to the legendary bow in World of Warcraft with the blue arrows.

Warhorn I'm kind of hoping gets an Ipos treatment and has a little bit more flash. Maybe some on use effect that creates faintly visible people marching or a character overlay of whoever owned the character appearing like an aura when they use it. I don't know. I don't really use warhorn either though but the idea of having a musical themed Mesmer elite spec with a flashy warhorn sounds appealing. lol

• Abelisk.4527Abelisk.4527 Member ✭✭✭

You mean alchemist's greatsword? ;p

• @Oldirtbeard.9834 said:
    I doubt it, I think it will be the last one made because the original game gave us 3 Legendary Great Swords between the Light one, the Dark one, and the Oreo one that combined them both.

I agree. There will be a Gen2 GS but it will be the final Gen2 weapon.

• Despond.2174Despond.2174 Member ✭✭✭
    edited February 14, 2018

@Crossaber.8934 said:
    The gen 1 legendary greatsword having 3 skin is actually a delusion. The eternity skin actually just sunrise and twilight day and night, it is totally not worth the cost by combining 2 legendaries. I remember there is one customized eternity gs created by a player, if his version is being used, i will definitely combine my sunrise and twilight in a heart beat.

Sorry, the old Eternity was how you stated, the new Eternity after AANET buffed it has a massive difference compared to Twilight/Sunrise.

1. The footfalls for Eternity are 3-4x larger and are 3d with little cosmic animations. That alone for some people would warrant the price increase. While Sunrise has small blue dots, and Twilight just has small black dots. It's a "night and day" difference.

2. The draw animation and blade trail for Eternity has a significantly larger pixel density. This is welcomed because the blade trail+draw animation is what attracts so many to these GSs.

3. While not as large as a difference to the top 2, the body aura and the flame aura on the blade for Eternity is significantly larger, at least twice as intense/flamey. You definitely notice this when the weapon is drawn in the world or character sheet.

4. While not as a dominant difference, the pummel being starry with a small trail is now iconic, instantly showing it is Eternity. It really does make it stand out as an identifying mark.

5. Very minor and more of a personal preference but having your blade change mid game to signify a day cycle is a great feeling, plus if you farm a lot you get to enjoy both dark/light version without swapping.

6. Another minor and personal preference but it's called "Eternity" the name feels more epic. :)

All of this is definitely justifiably for it's price increase, but yes the old Eternity was definitely lackluster for it's premium. The new GS would have to be absolutely unimaginable to beat the inter-dimensional art them of the Gen 1 legendary. I still get lost for ages changing my camera angle to see the other Universe in the footfalls, blade trail and blade itself. Some angles on a Norn you can #1 get a full circle and see nearly the whole landscape. I don't just think the Gen1 GS is utterly amazing for GW2 but over all MMOs.

I am still excited to see what the new GS will be though, but I don't think it will be out for a very long time. :)

• @Despond.2174 said:

@Crossaber.8934 said:

Sorry, the old Eternity was how you stated, the new Eternity after AANET buffed it has a massive difference compared to Twilight/Sunrise.

1. The footfalls for Eternity are 3-4x larger and are 3d with little cosmic animations. That alone for some people would warrant the price increase. While Sunrise has small blue dots, and Twilight just has small black dots. It's a "night and day" difference.

2. The draw animation and blade trail for Eternity has a significantly larger pixel density. This is welcomed because the blade trail+draw animation is what attracts so many to these GSs.

3. While not as large as a difference to the top 2, the body aura and the flame aura on the blade for Eternity is significantly larger, at least twice as intense/flamey. You definitely notice this when the weapon is drawn in the world or character sheet.

4. While not as a dominant difference, the pummel being starry with a small trail is now iconic, instantly showing it is Eternity. It really does make it stand out as an identifying mark.

5. Very minor and more of a personal preference but having your blade change mid game to signify a day cycle is a great feeling, plus if you farm a lot you get to enjoy both dark/light version without swapping.

6. Another minor and personal preference but it's called "Eternity" the name feels more epic. :)

All of this is definitely justifiably for it's price increase, but yes the old Eternity was definitely lackluster for it's premium. The new GS would have to be absolutely unimaginable to beat the inter-dimensional art them of the Gen 1 legendary. I still get lost for ages changing my camera angle to see the other Universe in the footfalls, blade trail and blade itself. Some angles on a Norn you can #1 get a full circle and see nearly the whole landscape. I don't just think the Gen1 GS is utterly amazing for GW2 but over all MMOs.

I am still excited to see what the new GS will be though, but I don't think it will be out for a very long time. :)

it is different in effect, yes stronger effect, but the basic mesh model is almost exactly the same to sunrise and twilight besides the hilt gem. I am not exactly using legendary for the effect, if possible, i would toggle off the foot fall immediately.

Well, the mesh model is beautiful, which is what i am in love with my sunrise and twilight, but the day and night theme for eternity is what really stop me seriously. I am looking forward to gen2 legendary greatsword.

Cross

• Despond.2174Despond.2174 Member ✭✭✭
    edited February 14, 2018

@Crossaber.8934 said:

@Despond.2174 said:

@Crossaber.8934 said:

it is different in effect, yes stronger effect, but the basic mesh model is almost exactly the same to sunrise and twilight besides the hilt gem. I am not exactly using legendary for the effect, if possible, i would toggle off the foot fall immediately.

Well, the mesh model is beautiful, which is what i am in love with my sunrise and twilight, but the day and night theme for eternity is what really stop me seriously. I am looking forward to gen2 legendary greatsword.

Fair enough. :)
    If the weapon model is what you're mainly after and have no concern for all the animation/aura/footfall effects etc I can definitely understand why it may not be worth it. For me personally though the effects and the inter-dimensional world being shown through them all is just as equal to the model itself. It definitely makes it stand out more than any other legendary - effects wise. If they had not buffed all the effects over the other 2 I probably wouldn't have bothered with it.

I can't wait too. There are quite a few other GS models in the game I like as well, but I don't use them anymore.

©2010–2018 ArenaNet, LLC. All rights reserved. Guild Wars, Guild Wars 2, Heart of Thorns, Guild Wars 2: Path of Fire, ArenaNet, NCSOFT, the Interlocking NC Logo, and all associated logos and designs are trademarks or registered trademarks of NCSOFT Corporation. All other trademarks are the property of their respective owners.