If I Block Some One Will I Still See Them Here?

@Just a flesh wound.3589 said:You can block in game but not on the forums as the forums have a different use, which is discussion of topics. If you don’t like what they have to say to you on the forums then go past their posts to you without reading them.

The problem can be when you get replies to comments, frankly there's one person that I know for a fact is one of the Beta testers, they also happen to be chummy with a few folks in the company it's self, along with a few former ones that moved on; I can't go further than what I have already stated with out pushing the envelope too far, how ever they might reply and that in it's self if they push the topic much further might draw the interest of others I'd rather not, the kind of people you can't talk about on the forums (Read some George Orwell, it's what happens when the Left goes to far to the Left and if I go much further than that well . . .).

I've never liked blocking people on forums - it doesn't stop them commenting in the same topics you do and then the conversation doesn't make sense. If I don't like reading someone's posts I just skim over them and only got back if it proves necessary to understand another person.

But it does seem odd to not even have the option.

@Oldirtbeard.9834 said:

@Just a flesh wound.3589 said:You can block in game but not on the forums as the forums have a different use, which is discussion of topics. If you don’t like what they have to say to you on the forums then go past their posts to you without reading them.

The problem can be when you get replies to comments, frankly there's one person that I know for a fact is one of the Beta testers, they also happen to be chummy with a few folks in the company it's self, along with a few former ones that moved on; I can't go further than what I have already stated with out pushing the envelope too far, how ever they might reply and that in it's self if they push the topic much further might draw the interest of others I'd rather not, the kind of people you can't talk about on the forums (Read some George Orwell, it's what happens when the Left goes to far to the Left and if I go much further than that well . . .).

You can still ignore them and not respond. I have my options set up to be notified if someone quotes me. I click on it and look over the names. If it’s someone I don’t want to respond to I just clear it when I see the name, without reading the post. That way I know that there’s a post I need to ignore (and be ready to do so) and I’m ready to glaze my eyes past the post if I go back to that thread.

Edit: I know that can be hard to do. Someone quotes you and argues with you, you want to respond. But sometimes it’s just best to walk away and ignore. It will be all posts long forgotten in a day or two anyway.

@Danikat.8537 said:I've never liked blocking people on forums - it doesn't stop them commenting in the same topics you do and then the conversation doesn't make sense. If I don't like reading someone's posts I just skim over them and only got back if it proves necessary to understand another person.

I dunno, while it's entirely possible to ignore someone in a conversation I generally try not to. I may disagree, I may have an entirely different opinion, but I think it might be construed as rude. Then again I treat the forums as any conversation, and as in any public debate, there's always people you might disagree with. Blocking someone for that seems just pointless to me.

I also don't really block anyone ingame. I see it mostly as a spamfilter/ anti stalking mechanism. As such it's entirely natural to me to not have a block function in the forums

@"FrizzFreston.5290" said:I dunno, while it's entirely possible to ignore someone in a conversation I generally try not to. I may disagree, I may have an entirely different opinion, but I think it might be construed as rude. Then again I treat the forums as any conversation, and as in any public debate, there's always people you might disagree with. Blocking someone for that seems just pointless to me.

There are people who aren't interested in conversing. Some use one or many of the following techniques: repetition, they cherry picking minor comments to tear down unrelated arguments, going off topic to avoid the bigger issues, various forms of bullying or belittlement, ignore evidence of actual facts, passive-aggressive verbiage, and so on.

While I do see some people who don't seem willing to accept the possibility that they might change their mind about something someone else posts and/or act in a way that inhibits discussion, I choose not to ignore them. Because even those people sometimes type something that I find interesting (sometimes interesting in a way they probably didn't intend, but also in a TIL or a "I hadn't thought about the issue that way" manner).

Not everyone finds that a worthwhile sacrifice, though. For those people, I can see the appeal of hiding the posts of one or more players.

Mind you: I still don't think it ought to be a forum feature. I'd rather see ANet moderate the worst abuses and keep the forums a reasonably-safe place to discuss the game and its shortcomings and... um, "longgoings" (an antonym I just made up).

Sadly no, but I hope it will be a thing in the future since I got attacked a lot of times in the old forums and I'm too afraid to use the forums on my own area (Germany) because I fear that there's more drama to come. I mean, getting death threats isn't a nice thing and I think these people should be able to get blocked if I couldn't at least report them. (Yes, I reported them multiple times but still nothing happened)

@Just a flesh wound.3589 said:

You can still ignore them and not respond. I have my options set up to be notified if someone quotes me. I click on it and look over the names. If it’s someone I don’t want to respond to I just clear it when I see the name, without reading the post. That way I know that there’s a post I need to ignore (and be ready to do so) and I’m ready to glaze my eyes past the post if I go back to that thread.

Edit: I know that can be hard to do. Someone quotes you and argues with you, you want to respond. But sometimes it’s just best to walk away and ignore. It will be all posts long forgotten in a day or two anyway.

Good advice, might cut down on some of my problems; I just assumed I had this person's respect.

@FrizzFreston.5290 said:

@Danikat.8537 said:I've never liked blocking people on forums - it doesn't stop them commenting in the same topics you do and then the conversation doesn't make sense. If I don't like reading someone's posts I just skim over them and only got back if it proves necessary to understand another person.

I dunno, while it's entirely possible to ignore someone in a conversation I generally try not to. I may disagree, I may have an entirely different opinion, but I think it might be construed as rude. Then again I treat the forums as any conversation, and as in any public debate, there's always people you might disagree with. Blocking someone for that seems just pointless to me.

I also don't really block anyone ingame. I see it mostly as a spamfilter/ anti stalking mechanism. As such it's entirely natural to me to not have a block function in the forums

I won't ignore or block someone just because they disagree with me. For a start there's a good chance they could be right, but also I'm one of those weird people who actually likes a good argument, and a good debate is even better (yes there's a difference).

But I've also learned that sometimes it's better to let it go. Maybe I'm tied or angry about something else and looking for a way to vent, maybe I don't have time to adequately explain my side, maybe I don't think they're in any mood to listen. Both in real life and online the best option can be just to walk away, and online that means not replying (even to say you're not replying).

@Oldirtbeard.9834 said:

Good advice, might cut down on some of my problems; I just assumed I had this person's respect.

Someone can disrespect your opinion without disrespecting you as a person. If they make personal remarks then that’s something else but arguing to promote their side isn’t disrespecting.

One thing to learn is that no matter what opinion you have someone else has the opposite and will (probably) post to debate and refute. That is, after all, the purpose and reason for the forums. While it can be hard to argue with someone who has the opposite opinion that you do it’s also a chance to reconsider that maybe they have a point, especially if they can bring up logical, coherent reasons for their opinion.

Someone can disrespect your opinion without disrespecting you as a person. If they make personal remarks then that’s something else but arguing to promote their side isn’t disrespecting.

One thing to learn is that no matter what opinion you have someone else has the opposite and will (probably) post to debate and refute. That is, after all, the purpose and reason for the forums. While it can be hard to argue with someone who has the opposite opinion that you do it’s also a chance to reconsider that maybe they have a point, especially if they can bring up logical, coherent reasons for their opinion.

The guy did something that warranted an outcome I'm not allowed to discuss, because I had the audacity to tell him to not question my vernacular and that going after my adjectives was not a valid argument. That's about as far as I'm willing to go, I even tried to reassure the person that I still respected them and considered them a friend, that's what made what happened next a final straw moment. Unless some one else had a problem with an exchange that had nothing to do with them.

@Oldirtbeard.9834 said:

The guy did something that warranted an outcome I'm not allowed to discuss, because I had the audacity to tell him to not question my vernacular and that going after my adjectives was not a valid argument. That's about as far as I'm willing to go, I even tried to reassure the person that I still respected them and considered them a friend, that's what made what happened next a final straw moment. Unless some one else had a problem with an exchange that had nothing to do with them.

I’m assuming that there is more than the posts on the forum since you blocked them in game. If there has been a falling out amongst friends then you’ll just have to accept that you’ll still see them around and ignore what you don’t want to see. imo it’s not reasonable to ask a place that’s specially set up and designed for discussions to block what you can read from whom. I recommend you either consider it a learning experience and move on or wait a few days to cool off and reconsider. I know things often look different or lesser to me after a few days have gone by and I’ve had a chance to cool off.

I’m assuming that there is more than the posts on the forum since you blocked them in game. If there has been a falling out amongst friends then you’ll just have to accept that you’ll still see them around and ignore what you don’t want to see. imo it’s not reasonable to ask a place that’s specially set up and designed for discussions to block what you can read from whom. I recommend you either consider it a learning experience and move on or wait a few days to cool off and reconsider. I know things often look different or lesser to me after a few days have gone by and I’ve had a chance to cool off.

We tend to run into each other on similar topics, but that it is very sound advice.

@Just a flesh wound.3589 said:If there has been a falling out amongst friends then you’ll just have to accept that you’ll still see them around and ignore what you don’t want to see. imo it’s not reasonable to ask a place that’s specially set up and designed for discussions to block what you can read from whom. I recommend you either consider it a learning experience and move on or wait a few days to cool off and reconsider. I know things often look different or lesser to me after a few days have gone by and I’ve had a chance to cool off.

Sage advice.

Archived