Skimmer - water speed buff is nice, but what about land?

EDIT - pasting this here for anyone who can't read the date of this topic...

Thanks for necroing this thread...My opinion has changed since the Roller Beetle, along with the mirror masked jackal and kourna jackrabbit, such that I prefer and enjoy going over land with these now instead. Amazing how much difference a new skin/model and audio/visual effects can make with two mounts I really didn't care for before...Therefore I personally don't really care as to the outcome of what I said in the OP. By all means continue to discuss, and of course I wouldn't turn my nose up at a skimmer QoL buff on land - it would still be welcomed (even some thing like delayed deceleration when moving from water land to even out transition across shallows), but I'm not actively advocating for anything now either.Want to make that clear for anyone who takes issue with the OP.

I appreciate the movement speed buff for skimmer on water, but it highlights even more how painfully slow it is on land.

Considering skimmer gives little to zero advantage on land compared with other mounts, is there any harm in increasing the land movement speed to be useable, for those of us who prefer this one mount for aesthetic reasons rather than constantly swapping between all the mounts? You'd still have to switch in order to climb with the springer, go faster with the raptor, fly with the griffon or use sand portals with the jackal.

In addition in the future it would be nice if some skill 2-5 with a new mastery provided a short duration "turbo boost" skill for skimmer.

@Strider Pj.2193 said:Why not make the raptor jump height equal the bunny mount and sprout wings?

Why not buff bunny so it leaps forward?

I like my griffon but walking with it is slow too..

Thank you for being facetious. I'm not asking for raptor speed or being able to fly across every map and teleport anywhere I like...

A simple 20% or so speed buff on land would be enough that it doesn't feel sluggish.

As I said in the OP, raptor would still be better for raw speed, springer necessary for height, griffon for flying and jackal for portals. A small land speed buff to skimmer doesn't render all the above useless.

Finally the turbo boost is something I'm hoping they expand by adding 2-5 skills for every mount with future LW masteries. Not something built in. So every mount would have their own 2, 3, 4 and 5 skill with unique benefits.

@"Kheldorn.5123" said:Because mounts are tools and you use each tool for different situations. If they unified mounts (you know, like every other mmo) the whole concept of different mount types would be destroyed.

And a ~20% speed boost for skimmer on land would affect the necessity of other mounts, how?

@Curunen.8729 said:

@"Kheldorn.5123" said:Because mounts are tools and you use each tool for different situations. If they unified mounts (you know, like every other mmo) the whole concept of different mount types would be destroyed.

And a ~20% speed boost for skimmer on land would affect the necessity of other mounts, how?

Skimmer is not land mount. It's to be used above water and harsh environments. Purity of purpose

@Curunen.8729 said:

@Strider Pj.2193 said:Why not make the raptor jump height equal the bunny mount and sprout wings?

Thank you for being facetious. I'm not asking for raptor speed or being able to fly across every map and teleport anywhere I like...

A simple 20% or so speed buff on land would be enough that it doesn't feel sluggish.

As I said in the OP, raptor would still be better for raw speed, springer necessary for height, griffon for flying and jackal for portals. A small land speed buff to skimmer doesn't render all the above useless.

Finally the turbo boost is something I'm hoping they expand by adding 2-5 skills for every mount with future LW masteries. Not something built in. So every mount would have their own 2, 3, 4 and 5 skill with unique benefits.

The point stands. Each mount has its role... enjoy what you can is all.

@"Kheldorn.5123" said:

Skimmer is not land mount. It's to be used above water and harsh environments. Purity of purpose

Last I checked skimmer can be used on land.

Or would you both suggest it should it be entirely disabled on land then to preserve the unique role of each mount?

As far as I know both Raptor and Jackal can be used interchangeably for a similar purpose, if not for sand portals. Griffon can be used as half a bunny with its jump - does that render the bunny useless?

I'm asking for a small quality of life benefit, not homogenising mount roles...

@Curunen.8729 said:

@"Kheldorn.5123" said:

And you can leap forward with raptor but griffon is still better for longer distance, you know. The intention of each mount is clear and skimmer's is being to be used on water.

All mounts should receive additionally masteries to upgrade them furterh with useful QoL.

Skimmer should get a mastery, which upgrades it into a real underwater mount, makign it possible to use it anytime, if you are above or under water, playign then no role anymore...

Gryphon should get a mastery, which stops its permanent sinking and allowing it to make usage of Wind gusts, to raise quicker in height, so that you can fly permanently and easier with Gryphons through the sky. it shoudl be expectable from a gryphon with its huge and strogn wings to be able to keep permanently its height!! They can do that also without you on their backs, they shoudl do so as when when they get used onto their riders on their backs and strengthened their wing muscles from all the carrying you around to compensate the weight plus with more powerful wing flaps ...

Raptors should get a mastery, which enhances their maximum health significantly, makign them the mounts with the absolute highest health pools as kind of "war mounts"

Springers should get an upgrade mastery, which slightly increases their maximum jump height even more and reduces even slightly mroe the fall damage reduction

Jackals should receive an upgrade, which significantly increases their maximum teleport distances and their amount of dodges to that you can teleport with them more oftenly before they run out of endurance, together with a way that makes it possible for them to telport also not only horisontally, but also upwards by like 45% degree into the direction you teleport to raise this weight height in the middle of your teleport jumps as if they basically jump from dust/sand platform to platform in the air, enablign them basicalyl temporarely to run in the air even maybe on a path of sand/dust kind of silversurfer style, but just with sand, instead of ice

And Anet definetely should add more new Mount Types in the future with Multi Character-Carriers, Climbing Crawlers and stealthy fast evasive Speedsters.thats the way how they can keep the current living world season interesting by adding some new mount types as part of the new maps, plus enhancign the gemstore with more Mount types even more for their skins then.These three missing mount types would definetely enrich the PvE experience of GW2 by ALOT

@"Kheldorn.5123" said:

@"Kheldorn.5123" said:

And you can leap forward with raptor but griffon is still better for longer distance, you know.
The intention of each mount is clear and skimmer's is being to be used on water.

Exactly - which is why a small speed boost to skimmer on land will have no bearing on the role of other mounts.

If I need to jump higher than the griffon I use the springer.

Skimmer still won't touch jackal or raptor on land, won't be able to compete with griffon for air time, and certainly won't touch the springer for any kind of terrain climbing. It just won't be so painful getting from a to b, casually I might add (because if I was trying to keep up with someone I wouldn't be using it of course), rather than dismounting and running on foot.

If anything as Tanner Blackfeather alluded to earlier in this thread, it could alleviate the problem of using skimmer over shallows with sudden huge deceleration and acceleration (try it in sandswept shores race area - it's really weird and not smooth). Although for that there should be a smoother transition for speed from water to land so the change in speed isn't so sudden.

@"Orpheal.8263" said:All mounts should receive additionally masteries to upgrade them furterh with useful QoL.

Skimmer should get a mastery, which upgrades it into a real underwater mount, makign it possible to use it anytime, if you are above or under water, playign then no role anymore...

Gryphon should get a mastery, which stops its permanent sinking and allowing it to make usage of Wind gusts, to raise quicker in height, so that you can fly permanently and easier with Gryphons through the sky. it shoudl be expectable from a gryphon with its huge and strogn wings to be able to keep permanently its height!! They can do that also without you on their backs, they shoudl do so as when when they get used onto their riders on their backs and strengthened their wing muscles from all the carrying you around to compensate the weight plus with more powerful wing flaps ...

Raptors should get a mastery, which enhances their maximum health significantly, makign them the mounts with the absolute highest health pools as kind of "war mounts"

Springers should get an upgrade mastery, which slightly increases their maximum jump height even more and reduces even slightly mroe the fall damage reduction

Jackals should receive an upgrade, which significantly increases their maximum teleport distances and their amount of dodges to that you can teleport with them more oftenly before they run out of endurance, together with a way that makes it possible for them to telport also not only horisontally, but also upwards by like 45% degree into the direction you teleport to raise this weight height in the middle of your teleport jumps as if they basically jump from dust/sand platform to platform in the air, enablign them basicalyl temporarely to run in the air even maybe on a path of sand/dust kind of silversurfer style, but just with sand, instead of ice

And Anet definetely should add more new Mount Types in the future with Multi Character-Carriers, Climbing Crawlers and stealthy fast evasive Speedsters.thats the way how they can keep the current living world season interesting by adding some new mount types as part of the new maps, plus enhancign the gemstore with more Mount types even more for their skins then.These three missing mount types would definetely enrich the PvE experience of GW2 by ALOT

Why updating existing mounts when you can make new (better) ones with next expac and sell more of them instead?

@Curunen.8729 said:

@"Kheldorn.5123" said:

@"Kheldorn.5123" said:

And you can leap forward with raptor but griffon is still better for longer distance, you know.
The intention of each mount is clear and skimmer's is being to be used on water.

Exactly - which is why a small speed boost to skimmer on land will have no bearing on the role of other mounts.

No, boi, you won't twist my post like this. Point is that every mount has its niche to be used for. Skimmer is to be used on water that's why it's crippled on land where you are expected to swap to terrestial mount. No need or purpose in buffing skimmer land speed as it would harm its distinctive "on water" role.

@"Kheldorn.5123" said:

@"Kheldorn.5123" said:

@"Kheldorn.5123" said:

No, boi, you won't twist my post like this. Point is that every mount has its niche to be used for. Skimmer is to be used on water that's why it's crippled on land where you are expected to swap to terrestial mount. No need or purpose in buffing skimmer land speed as it would harm its distinctive "on water" role.

Well then "boi" I strongly disagree so we'll have to leave it at that.

Why updating existing mounts? man.. because thats what smart people would do with their existing game content!! So simple.They update it, if they find a way to make something existing in the game better/more fun/more comfortable (Qol) ect., than how it was before.

Why only focus on new mounts only for some quick money via expansions, like some kind of money greedy locust/grasshopper plague, when you can make with lesser work and effort first the things that you already have perfect and more fun to use, to make full usage of the potential that your existing content has?Not making usage of this potential is just really wasting money, if you just add something to the game, just to instantly ignore it from then on again ... cough see for example of that ..Stronghold PvP/Guild Halls .... the perfect examples of what happens with new content, when it gets the moment of implementation ignored again and not updated to enhance the potentials behind those features, to even the Mastery System self.

Quality > Quantity

Sounds to me like the problem we have here is there aren't enough environments that allow the benefits of the Skimmer to shine. I have the mount, but haven't really done much in PoF (still finishing up LS S3) yet.

Outside of path of fire, where else do you benefit from using the skimmer? On water, sure, but I don't find myself swimming all that much. The lava area in Ember Bay perhaps? I know I'm missing others.

To make the Skimmer more like other mounts is a mistake. Instead, give players more reasons to want / use the skimmer, despite it's slower speed. The opens up a can of worms though, because you don't want to screw over players who don't have that mount.

• 3 months later...

I get what you mean that it feels like a lackluster mount by comparison, but think it is fine how it is. A couple of its stronger attributes to keep in mind:1) is the only mount that is mountable from water/ best option over water if you dont have height from griffon.2) can be used as a psuedo glider by tapping the jump while descending, giving an infinate glide if done right (allowing you to land in a zone mounted) Works well until you get griffon.3) with jackel upgrade gives a very long evade time, making it fairly easy to get by certain mob packs.

Just my 2 cents...

What I don't understand is why is the skimmer losing speed on land after you press space? So imagine this situation, you are on water and about to hit land, you hit space and when the skimmer gets over land it is slowed down. This makes it look so weird. I can understand when you move to reduce the speed over land (for balance reasons I guess?) but not while you are pressing space, it just feels awkward. It's even worse when random obstacles in the water that you jump over, like pieces of wood or stone floating, that also reduce your speed.

So my Skimmer suggestion: do not reduce the speed of the skimmer while pressing Space, or if you want it more complex, don't reduce speed if you press space while on water.

Archived