Gender equality, female sylvari need mohawks too!

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

@"Oldirtbeard.9834" said:Male Sylvari don't have Mohawks they have a plant organ called Stamen, female plants don't have that organ unless they are considered a perfect flower like the Mother in the pale tree that possess make and female parts.

You need to look at the Sylvari Mohawk a bit closer if you think it is made of stamensMohawk is on top right: https://wiki.guildwars2.com/images/4/45/Sylvari_male_hair_styles.jpgWiki: https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stamen. Picture at top right.

As for the OP’s request I agree. Why should only males get a Mohawk.

@Ashen.2907 said:

@"Hoodie.1045" said:Have you ever thought that the reason why female sylvari don't have mohawks is because men and women tend to have different flavors in fashion?

True, but women do wear Mohawks. Usually of the female type, though some wear the male type.

2f6Nk8dm.jpg

Fauxhawk, not mohawk there.

It’s the female version of a Mohawk. Just because a woman takes a style and changes it up doesn’t make it faux.

The big problem for Sylvari with hairstyles that leave a lot of the head shaved/bald, is that the head texture looks like wooden flooring. I love the "shaved one side, long the other" look and wanted it for my character, but after running with it for a week I couldn't keep my eyes away from the planks of wood that made up the left side of my head. It was far too distracting.

agrRc8E.jpg

@Just a flesh wound.3589 said:

@"Hoodie.1045" said:Have you ever thought that the reason why female sylvari don't have mohawks is because men and women tend to have different flavors in fashion?

True, but women do wear Mohawks. Usually of the female type, though some wear the male type.

2f6Nk8dm.jpg

Fauxhawk, not mohawk there.

It’s the female version of a Mohawk. Just because a woman takes a style and changes it up doesn’t make it faux.

True, but even if a guy had that hairstyle it would also be a fauxhawk. It's not about gender, it's the difference between 90% of the head being shaved aside from the hair needed for the mohawk, and a small amount of it being shaved and the remaining hair styled straight up to create a larger/thicker 'hawk.

FWIW I love a good fauxhawk, it's not a criticism.

@"chrisjfinlay.5614" said:The big problem for Sylvari with hairstyles that leave a lot of the head shaved/bald, is that the head texture looks like wooden flooring. I love the "shaved one side, long the other" look and wanted it for my character, but after running with it for a week I couldn't keep my eyes away from the planks of wood that made up the left side of my head. It was far too distracting.

That would be an individual dislike. My sylvari necro has the Mohawk and I’ve never even noticed any scalp, neck texturing.

Edit: visibility of that type of texture might be tied to the colors chosen, or possibly which skin pattern. I tend to use dark wood colors and never see “planks”. Changing the skin color or skin pattern might remove that sort of textures.

@Just a flesh wound.3589 said:

@"chrisjfinlay.5614" said:The big problem for Sylvari with hairstyles that leave a lot of the head shaved/bald, is that the head texture looks like wooden flooring. I love the "shaved one side, long the other" look and wanted it for my character, but after running with it for a week I couldn't keep my eyes away from the planks of wood that made up the left side of my head. It was far too distracting.

That would be an individual dislike. My sylvari necro has the Mohawk and I’ve never even noticed any scalp, neck texturing.

Edit: visibility of that type of texture might be tied to the colors chosen, or possibly which skin pattern. I tend to use dark wood colors and never see “planks”. Changing the skin color or skin pattern might remove that sort of textures.

Possibly. I did check out different "skin" colours last time I had a makeover kit but could still see them. Maybe because I knew they were there my mind was making them more obvious than they actually were.

@"Klipso.8653" said:Technically Sylvari have no gender

Not strictly true. Although they have no reproductive ability or organs (yet still wear underwear, oddly), they have clear dimorphism between males and females, and the Pale Tree chooses a "gender" for each newborn before they emerge. They also refer to each other as such and have a clear notion of gender identity.

@Ardid.7203 said:

@Klipso.8653 said:Technically Sylvari have no genderWhy not? Plants can have different sexes. Gender is a social construct. Sylvari are plants with the ability to create social constructs. They should be able to have genders.

I guess @Klipso.8653 is technically correct, the best kind of correct, but also strictly irrelevant to the discussion at hand: Sylvari have copied human gender expressions and physique, and we have at least hints that they have some internal structures cloning organs even if they are not strictly functional.

So ... yeah, what @Ardid.7203 said.

agrRc8E.jpg

Well uhm IMO what I like about the sylvari is they are not just some leaf covered humanoids. They are actual botanical beings. So when I read your comment about the skin looking like wooden flooring, it automatically popped into my head "what's wrong with that?".

A good read about sylvari and how they came to be: https://web.archive.org/web/20110810170026/https://www.arena.net/blog/kristen-perry-on-designing-and-redesigning-the-sylvari. I really admire how Kristen Perry made the sylvari the way they are.

I don't see what "gender equality" has to do with hair styles, but sure... I'm all for more style options.

It's tough to do on Sylvari though, since their heads/hair are leaves. It has to look natural and grown, which a mohawk is definitively not. Though, I bet there's a way to do spiky, bush-like boughs... head-sticks for everyone!

Archived