THE GOALS OF THESE SUGGESTIONS:
- To fix the same complaints we have seen for 6 years over and over and over and over...
- To keep the progress made with World Restructing systems and use it for balancing Factions.
- To eliminate stacking by removing the transfer system entirely.
- To pool ALL players into one big playground and create an epic 3 sided Alliance war.
- To encourage ALL types of players to get involved.
- To cater to ALL different play styles.
- To provide a place where ALL players can contribute to their side in many ways despite possible queues.
- To make “scoring” more about personal and guild rewards instead, and placement means reward PACE.
- To make WvW into a “living” WvW experience that receives closer to equal amounts of attention from the developers.
- To make a space that both developers and players CARE MORE about.
Imagine a Alliance WvW MIST WAR like this…
WHAT ALLIANCES WOULD LOOK LIKE:
- 3 Alliance Factions made up of ALL players pooled together fighting against each other. OBVIOUSLY NA and EU are NOT connected.
- Alliances, guilds and individual players are reshuffled every 2 months to create 3 new Factions
- Faction Names change every 2 months.
THE 1st ALLIANCE UPDATE WOULD INCLUDE THE FOLLOWING:
MAPS MADE FOR "BLOBS", WITH A 100 PLAYER MAP CAP PER SIDE
These maps are the “No PvE” zones that remain conducive to quality open space and structure capture mass pvp.
- 1 Eternal Battlegrounds with SM CASTLE.
- 1 Alpine Borderland.
- 1 Desert Borderland.
- 1 NEW Arctic Borderland.
- 1 Edge of the Mists.
PLUS... (These would be the EotM factions inspired borderland maps.)
- 1 NEW Badlands Borderland with a castle.
- 1 NEW Frostreach Borderland with a castle.
- 1 NEW Overgrowth Borderland with a castle.
(SO 8 MAPS WITH 4 CASTLES FOR "BLOBS" TO FIGHT OVER)
MAPS MADE SPECIFICALLY FOR SMALL GUILDS, SMALL TEAMS AND SOLO ROAMERS WITH A 50 PLAYER MAP CAP PER SIDE
- 6 Guild Wars inspired PvP/PvE Maps http://wiki.guildwars.com/wiki/The_Mists
- Let’s call these “Hot Zones” (for this discussion) that draw elements from GW lore.
- Players fight against each other and NPCs here.
- These maps have *MOSTLY OPEN AREA CAPTURE POINTS, EVENTS AND META EVENTS as well.
- WvW wide alerts can be given to indicate a meta event will occur on a map.
(SO 6 MAPS MADE MOSTLY FOR SMALL OPS AND SOLO ROAMERS WITH A MAP CAP OF 50 PLAYERS PER SIDE)
THE 2nd ALLIANCE UPDATE (RELEASED AT A LATER DATE) WOULD INCLUDE THE FOLLOWING:
"SAFE SPACE" HOMELAND PVE MAPS WHERE NEW PLAYERS CAN LEARN THE BASICS OF WVW PLAY AND CONTRIBUTE TO THE MIST WAR
- I’d like to take NPCs and Factions from EotM and WvW and expand on them. Let’s give them a purpose for their existence in the Mists, an open world story for players to go through and a compelling reason for players to be fighting the Mist War with them.
- Homeland maps would be the entry zones for WvW depending on the Faction side you are on. From here you can portal to other maps. These homeland maps do not have to be just 1 map for each side, multiple smaller maps could be used as well or added later.
- Enemy players cannot enter opposing sides PvE homelands.
- These maps are treated and played like any Tyria PvE maps, but tailored to teach players about wvw and help contribute to "war score".
- Players are not forced into other types of WvW maps, they are only encouraged by rewards.
GENERAL STUFF FOR ALL MAPS
- Would be cool to have some underground maps and areas utilized more in the Mists. Homeland and "Hot Zones" would be great for this.
- Add tunnel systems, like in EotM, to various maps for strategic use and map travel.
- It would be great to have a cohesive story and fixed groups of npcs for each faction across all maps.
- Outnumbered "Blob" maps gets a bit of extra help from their homeland faction NPCs. Have an additional Champion, with tough minions, spawn to help protect friendly structures against enemies. Only structures, not supply camps
NO MAP COPIES EXCEPT FOR HOMELAND PVE MAPS
- Ideally I’m looking to create 1 Mist “world” for this "war", but feel the PvE maps would need to use the map copy function like we have in PvE.
MAP TOTALS RECAP
- 8 PvP maps (EB, AB, DB, Arctic B, EotM, BB, FB, OB) with 4 castles in total (EB, BB, FB, OB). Total fixed max capacity across these 8 maps would be 2,400 players.
- 6 PvP/PvE Hot Zone meta event maps. Total fixed max capacity across these 6 maps would be 900 players.
- 3 Homeland PvE maps, with a few extra area maps for learning about wvw and contributing to your Faction.
(So a total of 3,300 players can be participating in wvw, at any given time, across 14 maps. While pure PvE style maps allow for tons of players due to the map copy function)
SCORING AND REWARDS
I’m going to try to bring up a basic outline of scoring and rewards. I feel the ideal "scoring system" would have more of an emphasis on reward pace, NOT just about 1st, 2nd and 3rd place rewards. To do this, I’d like to see a tiered reward vendor system (similar to Dry Top) based off of “war score”. Tiers would either scale up in quality for purchasable goods and rewards, or lower in cost for purchasable goods and rewards. Badges of Honor and gold are used as currency to purchase items.
- ALL maps contribute to the Mist War score total for each side. Yes ALL. The purpose behind this is to have ALL players contribute to the war effort in the way THEY feel comfortable.
- Personal reward tracks and Pip/Ticket stuff all remain in place.
- Loot as normal from player kills, npc kills, events and capturing objectives.
- ALL maps have unique crafting materials to gather, and these materials are only found in the Mists. These can be used for components in any new crafted items introduced to the game so they become part of the global economy.
- HIDE SCORING FROM PLAYERS, and only use it as an internal Dev stats tool every 2 months when Alliances and players are reshuffled.
- GET RID of 2 hour Skirmish stuff.
- Faction mix and match rotations done every 2 months.
- NO TOURNAMENTS.
- Continue with WvW "special event weeks"
- Outnumbered Buffs are still in place on maps
- REMOVE THE SERVER TRANSFER SYSTEM because you will not need it for this design.
- I feel it would be a great change to have multiple capture points to castles. This would require some changes to EB, but feel it’s worth it.
- I’d like to see more reasons to take and hold castles. Perhaps gaining access to a unique vendor with unique personal and guild goods.
- Increased Magic Find, WXP, BoH drops and PiPs while holding a castle. Stacking reward bonuses for each castle in possession of your Faction... Stuff that doesn’t give an advantage during combat.
THESE IDEAS WOULD BE BETTER FOR THE LONG RUN...
It would be smoother for the long run to balance 3 sides total instead of multiple different match ups. I think the 1 “world to fight over', with 3 sided designs concept, would provide more population stability overall, and better coverage, for everyone. Shifting players and guilds every couple months keeps things "fresher'. Removing the "score" for player eyes, and focusing on personal and guild rewards, changes the emphasis from a "numbers" war to more of a "mist war".
I HAVE SOME EDITS COMING...