In search of tears

DuiePyle.4398

I don't have much gold, which seems to be my natural state. So, I have to rely on doing achievements and such to get what I want/need. I want to get a very specific armor that takes "ascalonian tears" to get, to the tune of 1380 tears. The only place I know of that will supply me of these "tears" is at the "Ascalonian Catacombs", 100 a visit. What I'd like to know, is there other places you can get these tears? Because I have to wait, at times, to get a group together and, at times, that's too long of a wait. I guess that speaks to my impatients, but there it is. I would like some feedback on this if you will, please. :)

Well, there is a black lion chest drop item called Tyrian Exchange Voucher (but getting it is a long-shot so I wouldn't recommend trying) that lets you choose 300 units of any dungeon currency. Don't know about any others but you might check your inventory to see if you already have any of these.

Besides running the dungeon itself, you can obtain Ascalonian Tears from

1. Chest of Dungeoneering, which is awarded each time you complete eight different dungeon paths (150 per chest)
  2. Catacombs Token Loot Boxes from the Ascalonian Catacombs PVP/WVW reward tracks (60 per box, 4 boxes from each completion; additionally, you can obtain your choice of Armor piece at the end of each Reward Track)
  3. Tyrian Exchange Vouchers, which are rare drops from Black Lion Chests (300 per voucher)

Do the WvW reward track mentioned above.If you don't like WvW, look at it like getting a Gift of Battle; there are plenty of guides to this knocking around, but essentially do the easy dailies whenever you can (monuments, kill dolly, camp capture, big spender, veteran) - you'll soon find you've done your reward track.You might even come to enjoy WvW :-)Good luck!~TG

@"Cragga the Eighty Third.6015" said:Just since nobody else has said it, I have been told it's possible to solo Ascalonian Catacombs because it' a really easy dungeon. Disclaimer: I have not tried it myself, and the people saying it might be hardcore types.

It is indeed possible - and that's coming from a player who is not good at this game. I did it on a minion-master Reaper, so...I could more or less tank anything thrown at me. However, I hadn't unlocked the Reaper specialization fully (not even halfway) at that point. Most everything save the bosses still died in ten seconds, if I was careful. There are tactics you need to follow - you can't simply just stand still and whack a sword on the enemy's head for five minutes until they die - but if you pay attention, it's a breeze.I did die a couple of times - one was where I couldn't figure out how to get past a puzzle (eventually got it), and one where a surprise bonus boss flattened me in .5 seconds. I couldn't kill the bonus boss no matter what I did, so I ended up just running past it and skipping the fight entirely.

Create multiple characters. Level them all up to 80 and:-Do main story up to level 60 on each character, with a week in-between doing level 10 story missions;-Do LW S2 chapter 6;-Do HoT story, up to Roots of Terror;All of that will fetch you 5x(Number of your characters) Black Lion keys.

You could also explore maps, they have a chance of giving you a key too.

While doing all of the above you'll collect enough chests to get a good chance at Tyrian Exchange Vouchers. Might take you a couple of weeks if you're really greedy and want level 10 keys though.

Good luck!

run noob friendly lfgs, be patient, if it's primetime or so, it shouldn't take too long to get a full party. If you have level 80s in your team you can start when you have three (or even two if you are both good at it). Run each of the paths once a day, that way you get bonus tokens.

Do you really want 1.3k tears? Sounds line you want to buy the whole set, as I remember each piece goes for around 250~300.

It doesn't take that long, and it's a lot less grindy if you stick to doing daily paths.

Alternative: wait for the daily task that requires doing ascalonian catacombs explorable and join runs until you drop dead.

@TwoGhosts.6790 said:Do the WvW reward track mentioned above.If you don't like WvW, look at it like getting a Gift of Battle; there are plenty of guides to this knocking around, but essentially do the easy dailies whenever you can (monuments, kill dolly, camp capture, big spender, veteran) - you'll soon find you've done your reward track.You might even come to enjoy WvW :-)Good luck!~TG

I'll echo this. Of anything in WvW, the reward track is the fastest and easiest to complete provided you do the WvW dailies (which also count towards Daily Completionist, so two birds, and all that).

And like @TwoGhosts.6790 said, you might even find you like WvW. I started WvW just as a way to get my 3rd daily done when there weren't any good options in PvE. Now about 50% of my game time is spent in WvW, and I have several characters that are geared solely for use in WvW.

WvW is more casual than PvP, but either will get the job done.

Archived