Few Question for Ben

zoopop.5630

@"Ben Phongluangtham.1065" I have a few questions i wanted to ask you/talk about. Seem like the last 2 months Gw2 has been getting a decently good traffic in terms of "teams" For the Monthly tournament , Keyba 2vs2 tournament and the Tournament of legend. I'll like to wonder if the PvP team plans to continue with this flow they got going on at the moment.

Few Questions I'll like to see answer if possible.

1: Are we getting more tournaments like ToL in the near future(maybe host it 2 or 4 time a year?)2: What's the update/news on Swiss? (Been over a year if not mistaken)3: What's going on with 2vs2 Tournaments? (it was a dope idea and seem to get a lot of positive feedback)4: Reconstruction of new PvP titles or Legendary Item?(It's BEEN A LONG time we get an upgrade on these things)5: Are we getting a Balance Patch tomorrow?

Just some minor stuff i wanted to touch base on with you or any of the PvP dev's that are allowed to talk about these things.

• ArenaNet Staff

1) The current idea is to run a special event tournament of some format every 2-3 months. The current events we can do are 2v2, 3v3, 5v5 Arena (Courtyard, using the same ruleset as 2v2, but without the end of match stuff), 5v5 Conquest (ToL). We have a loose schedule for them now, but will likely never announce a date until we're within a couple weeks of the event.2) Swiss is still in progress. I think it's safe to say it's taken longer than any of us hoped it would, but we consider it an important improvement over the current AT system, so we continue to work on it.3) Nothing specific to report on the 2v2 tournaments. They will be part of our event schedule. Though, before we run another 2v2 or 3v3 event, we do have at least 1 bug to resolve.4) Changing the titles is something we hope to get to. We have some new rewards in the works, however, nothing I can specifically comment about yet.5) Can't comment on the release dates of balance patches.

Thanks for the communication @"Ben Phongluangtham.1065".

Since they're apparently going to become a bit more regular, do you have any plans to "honor" the winners of the tournaments you guys host, almost like how monthly winners get columns, or in GW1 a world-wide push shared "X has won X."

@Ben Phongluangtham.1065 said:1) The current idea is to run a special event tournament of some format every 2-3 months. The current events we can do are 2v2, 3v3, 5v5 Arena (Courtyard, using the same ruleset as 2v2, but without the end of match stuff), 5v5 Conquest (ToL). We have a loose schedule for them now, but will likely never announce a date until we're within a couple weeks of the event.2) Swiss is still in progress. I think it's safe to say it's taken longer than any of us hoped it would, but we consider it an important improvement over the current AT system, so we continue to work on it.3) Nothing specific to report on the 2v2 tournaments. They will be part of our event schedule. Though, before we run another 2v2 or 3v3 event, we do have at least 1 bug to resolve.4) Changing the titles is something we hope to get to. We have some new rewards in the works, however, nothing I can specifically comment about yet.5) Can't comment on the release dates of balance patches.

Thank you very much for commenting on the post and getting back to me. Im happy to hear these type of things might become something special for us pvpers.

were u able to watch the event itself and if so what did you think about it?

Problem is if they say thier hoping to release somthing and give a certain date a lot of forum members ignore the phrasing and consider it set in stone and a lot of back lash if it doesn’t altho lack of communication because of this imho will hurt a company more than it helps. Digital Extremes does this quite well, I am in no way comparing games.There are times that DE deals with backlash due to methods but as a whole most warframe players boast about supporting DE even when they fail on somthing due to the fact that they try and communicate on a regular basis about things there working on and future things their working on,even as far as showing the progresses of unfinished projects on live stream. Where’s our version of tennocon? Lol

Unfortunedly it sounds like that nothing will really change in PvP besides some tiny cherrys... Balance drama will stay like it is, swiss is a Dream, (real) other gamemodes- nope sorry, ... I just remember the first year gw2 pvp when the PvP scene from gw1 left the game, I said " you should stay, they will impove, relax, give them some time" After 6 years I need to be honest, nothing really changed. Somehow I would say the first 2 years were much more Fun than now. I could be wrong, maybe it is just a Bit of "frust".

But still luv this game ?

Yeah. I did say: "Plans, whats being worked on - not in detail". Im not expecting dates or something rich in detail :)

But sometimes it would be nice to know if there are something to really look forward to. It cant be a bad thing. For example :" we`re working on a new underwater expansion - kralkatorik crystalized the water - whatever . This will hype ppl. We are working on new elite specs and/or a large expansion. Again, nothing in detail but it would be nice to know that the wheels are turning.

It might have sounded harsh, but wasnt meant as such.

• ArenaNet Staff

@zoopop.5630 said:

@Ben Phongluangtham.1065 said:1) The current idea is to run a special event tournament of some format every 2-3 months. The current events we can do are 2v2, 3v3, 5v5 Arena (Courtyard, using the same ruleset as 2v2, but without the end of match stuff), 5v5 Conquest (ToL). We have a loose schedule for them now, but will likely never announce a date until we're within a couple weeks of the event.2) Swiss is still in progress. I think it's safe to say it's taken longer than any of us hoped it would, but we consider it an important improvement over the current AT system, so we continue to work on it.3) Nothing specific to report on the 2v2 tournaments. They will be part of our event schedule. Though, before we run another 2v2 or 3v3 event, we do have at least 1 bug to resolve.4) Changing the titles is something we hope to get to. We have some new rewards in the works, however, nothing I can specifically comment about yet.5) Can't comment on the release dates of balance patches.

Thank you very much for commenting on the post and getting back to me. Im happy to hear these type of things might become something special for us pvpers.

Yep, I did watch! It was fun overall. Some great matches! There was some questions on whether the seeding was done via QP, as was supposed to happen. So we're looking into that. And of course, swiss would have been a much better format, though would have extended the tournament time quite a lot.

@ZeftheWicked.3076 said:As lovely as it sounds, the top is occupied by plat premades and us golds and lower never get a shot at anything good. Any idea for underdog tourneys or rewards to make us care?

I definitely agree with something like this. The biggest concern will be people sandbagging rating for easier prizing (no offense). But if there was a community hosted event where it catered to lower tiered players, (with marginally small rewards), its possibly something I could try to throw together for the NA scene.

Gold and below ATs would be cool I think as long as prizing is not attractive enough to tempt players to sandbag their rating.

@Ben Phongluangtham.1065 said:

Yep, I did watch! It was fun overall. Some great matches! There was some questions on whether the seeding was done via QP, as was supposed to happen. So we're looking into that. And of course, swiss would have been a much better format, though would have extended the tournament time quite a lot.

I have a question and it's really important.

Tea or Coffee?

• ArenaNet Staff

Underdog tournaments is something we've put a bit of thought into, but nothing fully formed. And in the end, my feeling is that community run tournaments are going to be the best place for these. An automated system is not going to be able to easily detect things like people playing on low rated alts and such.

Once the Swiss tournament system is in and stable, lower rated teams will be able to get more matches in.

• ArenaNet Staff

@apharma.3741 said:

Tea or Coffee?

Tea, but I rarely drink caffeine in any form. :)

Tea or Coffee?

I rarely drink caffeine in any form. :)

Eh, that explains the scarce balance updates.

(It's a joke, I understand)

Is it possible for the ANet Devs to give a high-level view of what's being worked for balance patches or their views on the current state of the game? Something like "We feel is over-performing in PvP," or "We want to see used more often." Basically the summaries for each profession in the patch notes, but weeks ahead of time.

Tea or Coffee?

Tea, but I rarely drink caffeine in any form. :)

Thanks!

@Ben Phongluangtham.1065Didn't you consider more balance patches? The small ones, personally I feel like making only big patches over 3 months or something like that is unhealthy for the gameplay. Like now ppl are mad for boonbeasts (and few others) for quite a some time. If there would be at least 1 or 2 little balances with numbers fixing, ppl would be much happierEdit. Imo the healthiest state of the game would be if small patches would occur every 2 weeks

@"Ben Phongluangtham.1065" said:

2) Swiss is still in progress. I think it's safe to say it's taken longer than any of us hoped it would, but we consider it an important improvement over the current AT system, so we continue to work on it.

Has the thought ever occurred to you. That in the 2 years you devs have been, "working on it." You could of easily doubled the current amount of ATs (in the short term) to create a more opportunities to play in a organized setting. You could of used current system; to solve the lack of frequency of tournaments while the Swiss format is being developed.

Do you realize the huge opportunity cost that's been paid by the players. Waiting on the update that never comes?

Archived