Tab Targeting (idea)

Taobella.6597

i hate spam tab targeting to try find 1 class in a zerg.

can you add a key to the game open up sub panel on screen let me pick what class i want tab target to select first.

the way i would add it to UI is i hold tab for 2 seconds bring up class window in a circle to select from.

thought input suggestion on how it would break the game :).

A tab target fix would be to just have it work 360, rather then only tab target what you see on screen, allow me to tab the target behind me when tabbing for closest target, dunno why they changed that from gw1 in the first place.

Also should allow a lot more things to work midair to bypass the naturel desync that is stronger in wvwvw when coded for client sided position forwarding to server, would mean a lot less input eating through desync when you jump right after an input.

If I'd had to make changes to the tab targeting the only things I would touch is threat selection and position target prioritization, tab target only in view port it's the right way tab should work, otherwise it would be annoying as hell.

To elaborate I feel that tab shouldn't target any yellows when there are reds in view port, yellows have predictable movement, if one really wants to select a yellow that should be done specifically by clicking if there are red enemies within view port, otherwise the tabbing on them should work like tabbing through reds.

Now to the reds, tab should only target red targets within the 3000 unit radius around you in view port, prioritizing red targets within the 1800/2000 units distance. Also within this 1800/2000 units distance prioritization should be done from the center of the view port to the ones that are more at the edge of the view port, let's say we split the view port in 5 sections: [1|2|3|4|5]. Selection should start between the red targets in the 3rd (center) section from the closest target to the furthest one, or from the more center one to the ones that are less centered in inside the 3rd section, than it switches to enemies in the 2nd and 4th sections if there is no change in the 3rd (like new enemies entering or appearing inside), and lastly sections 1 and 5 of the screen if there were no changes within sections 2, 3 and 4.

This might sound complicated in a way so for simplicity at least they should make tab target avoid selecting yellows when reds are on the screen and enemies too for away to count (> 3000 units away). That would significantly improve the way tab select works, but anyways, if you want to do well in gw2 you'll need to learn to click select.

@Taobella.6597 said:

@Knighthonor.4061 said:I am 100% against this because it will lead to more exploit of targeting the Weak Class of the Month. Can't cosign that kind of thing.

that is whole point of changing tab targeting to snipe classes in a large group where clicking on them just not relyable way to do it.

not against Tab Targeting, I am against the suggestion proposed in the OP of a list to be able to pick which classes to target with the tab target as a priority. Something like that will be abused and people would target the weak class of the month.

@Knighthonor.4061 said:

@Knighthonor.4061 said:I am 100% against this because it will lead to more exploit of targeting the Weak Class of the Month. Can't cosign that kind of thing.

Rev isnt a weak class,Although the player behind it...

thats off topic. But what you think about what I said on this subject in the OP?

If you think it's exploiting to target certain professions first, that puts what I said on topic.

@Justine.6351 said:

Rev isnt a weak class,Although the player behind it...

thats off topic. But what you think about what I said on this subject in the OP?

If you think it's exploiting to target certain professions first, that puts what I said on topic.

I guess the rest of the quotes of this got deleted.

It is very much on topic but evidently someone disagreed.

It would allow people to target whatever class they chose.

Weak or not doesn’t matter. And if it’s the weak class, and that’s a problem, why not switch?

@Justine.6351 I agree with you. It is a completely relevant comment.

I would love to be able to write a targeting macro like I do in other games. One fall through targeting button that looks for mouseover (enemy player, hostile, or neutral, disregards friendlies) target first (if it exists), then enemy players (from the center of the viewpoint outward), then npcs (same center outward), and lastly neutral npcs, in that order. Also, when holding shift as a modifier it would then target last target, and while holding ctrl or alt it would target mouseover friendly target.

Modifier functionality is not a requirement, but it definitely allows the button to have different layers of functionality. I dislike having to have as many keybinds as I do currently anyhow. I was always trying to reduce the number of buttons necessary to push so focus could be on positioning, timing, and aiming rather than button mashing... feels more intuitive to me like that. Alas, it is part of the game, and it is still better than many other games have been in the past.

@Justine.6351 said:

@"SoV.5139" said:Take the identifying class off the tab target HuD. Part of the mystery in any PvP encounter should be identifying what you are fighting, rather than the game handing you that information on a silver platter.

That would be somewhat true if we wern't plastered with fancy glowy shiny skins.

Right, so you need to ID the opponent through used skills and such. Being able to do so from a player perspective demonstrates metagaming knowledge I am referring to in the previous response.

Now as it stands people can simply tab through to find the class they hard counter, then initiate - or run if they see its something that likely hard counters them. I wonder how many of these "I want more fights" folks on the forums would support not knowing what they are chasing initially.

@SoV.5139 said:

@SoV.5139 said:Take the identifying class off the tab target HuD. Part of the mystery in any PvP encounter should be identifying what you are fighting, rather than the game handing you that information on a silver platter.

That would be somewhat true if we wern't plastered with fancy glowy shiny skins.

Right, so you need to ID the opponent through used skills and such. Being able to do so from a player perspective demonstrates metagaming knowledge I am referring to in the previous response.

Now as it stands people can simply tab through to find the class they hard counter, then initiate - or run if they see its something that likely hard counters them. I wonder how many of these "I want more fights" folks on the forums would support not knowing what they are chasing initially.

So in smallscale that can often just mean you die to an opener combo.In largescale, gl knowing who is dropping shades and marks because there is practically no obvious caster animation afaik. In fact if you turn on low models and culling the animations turn generic looking it seems. Which is also a smallscale problem because using siege, rezzing and stomping all use the "chopping with the arm" animation. Its really kind of bad.

@Justine.6351 said:

@SoV.5139 said:

@SoV.5139 said:Take the identifying class off the tab target HuD. Part of the mystery in any PvP encounter should be identifying what you are fighting, rather than the game handing you that information on a silver platter.

So in smallscale that can often just mean you die to an opener combo.In largescale, gl knowing who is dropping shades and marks because there is practically no obvious caster animation afaik. In fact if you turn on low models and culling the animations turn generic looking it seems. Which is also a smallscale problem because using siege, rezzing and stomping all use the "chopping with the arm" animation. Its really kind of bad.

This is how it should be. It should be more of a gamble taking fights, rather than people tabbing through until they see the thing their build hard counters, then demolishing it.

Alot of forum bluster about wanting to force people to take fights as of late, but the same folks pull back on that in a hurry once they dont have the ability to SELECTIVELY take fights. Theres far more hedging and sandbagging happening here than people are willing to overtly admit.

@SoV.5139 said:

@SoV.5139 said:

This is how it should be. It should be more of a gamble taking fights, rather than people tabbing through until they see the thing their build hard counters, then demolishing it.

Alot of forum bluster about wanting to force people to take fights as of late, but the same folks pull back on that in a hurry once they dont have the ability to SELECTIVELY take fights.It's not about "being selective", it's about knowing how to approach an engagement cause if taken wrong, you just die. But hey ok they can change it, guarantee we won't see you roaming short of it being a 5 Man group running over solo and duos. I'm not even sure how this will actually effect zerging now that I think of it, since they don't even use targeting and just smash all the aoe buttons in area command says.

Theres far more hedging and sandbagging happening here than people are willing to overtly admit.

lolwhat? I don't think even you know what that sentence is supposed to mean.

@Justine.6351 said:

@SoV.5139 said:

@SoV.5139 said:

Alot of forum bluster about wanting to force people to take fights as of late, but the same folks pull back on that in a hurry once they dont have the ability to SELECTIVELY take fights.It's not about "being selective", it's about knowing how to approach an engagement cause if taken wrong, you just die. But hey ok they can change it, guarantee we won't see you roaming short of it being a 5 Man group running over solo and duos. I'm not even sure how this will actually effect zerging now that I think of it, since they don't even use targeting and just smash all the aoe buttons in area command says.

Theres far more hedging and sandbagging happening here than people are willing to overtly admit.

You just described being selective. Right after claiming its not about "being selective" ROFL

I absolutely know what it means. In the context of THIS conversation, people will cling to any advantage they can possibly get, while advocating taking others advantages away. The example I gave, where people want to be able to dismount that support player who is just trying to make it back to their zerg, would be a completely different situation if these players who hate mounts so much could not determine what they were dealing with initially and had to gamble on it not being a class/build that hard counters theirs.

TL;DR: Take away their ability to metagame every possible encounter, and watch the forum bluster about wanting to force people into having to take fights evaporate.

True PVP vs pre-determined selective hedging. People who claim they want to force others to take fights and take their escape mechanisms away claim they want the former, but they are advocating for the latter.

@SoV.5139 said:

@SoV.5139 said:

@SoV.5139 said:

You just described being selective. Right after claiming its not about "being selective" ROFL

Uh...you were talking about taking fights or not...I am talking about how to take the fight, not if.

Can see its a pointless debate if you won't even read/understand what you are reading.