What do you think is a reasonable price for templates?

If you are against paying for templates then this thread is not for you

I have played GW and GW2 since launchI understand the frustration people are feeling over this but hey, times are changing and this is 2019 not 2006, ANET probably needs the money but I don't want to expand about it on this thread.

I wanted to see for people who are keen to buy additional template slots to support the game,what do you think is a reasonable amount for additional slots? and where would you draw the line on it being overpriced?

Personally hoping they are somewhere between 200~400 gems per slot on any one of the three templatesAny more and I think I would find my self refusing to buy them

@DoRi Silvia.4159 said:If you are against paying for templates then this thread is not for you

I have played GW and GW2 since launchI understand the frustration people are feeling over this but hey, times are changing and this is 2019 not 2006, ANET probably needs the money but I don't want to expand about it on this thread.

I wanted to see for people who are keen to buy additional template slots to support the game,what do you think is a reasonable amount for additional slots? and where would you draw the line on it being overpriced?

Personally hoping they are somewhere between 200~400 gems per slot

Which slots are you talking about?

The build template slots?

The build template storage slots?

The equipment tab slots?

All three are bought independent of each other. I would value each slot differently given their purpose and function and workarounds that exist.

I'm guessing based on similar approaches to facilitate players swapping builds, around 1200 Gems.

You can add a inventory slot to hold the gear for your second build for 600 gems (or 800 I forget)

You can roll a whole new character with a 'second' build for 1000 Gems. Makes sense that we would pay some extra for the convenience of not having to log in and out to swap builds with this method.

@"Obtena.7952" said:I'm guessing based on similar approaches to facilitate players swapping builds, around 1200 Gems.

You can add a inventory slot to hold the gear for your second build for 600 gems (or 800 I forget)

You can roll a whole new character with a 'second' build for 1000 Gems. Makes sense that we would pay some extra for the convenience of not having to log in and out to swap builds with this method.

I think the template slots should be definitely lower price than the character slot. My reasoning would be the fact that simply "tome'ing" a character to 80 isn't exactly a problem and then you get a few -not one- slots with that new character. I see where you're comming from with the convenience argument, but I'd say reloging to char select screen isn't much of a hassle. There would be more potential problems with gear swapping throguh bank or shared slots I guess.

• Confused 1

@Obtena.7952 said:I'm guessing based on similar approaches to facilitate players swapping builds, around 1200 Gems.

With this price level, I would have to spend more money on the template slots than for the whole game, just So i could play most of my builds.

@"Seera.5916" said:All three are bought independent of each other.

You don't know that. The announcement article said they are sold as "build storage spaces" with no indication as to what that entails. It could refer to each one, or the set of three sold as a group.

Stop trying to spark outrage by spreading misinformation.

As for me, I don't know, 1-200 gems seems fairish as they are character bound, but to be honest this whole thing is stupid.

The top tier of gear is account bound, it makes ABSOLUTELY NO SENSE WHATSOEVER for gear templates to be character bound, if I want to use the exact same build on my reaper and mesmer, I should be able to without having to buy/make the entire ASCENDED gear set and a template for them TWICE. And I would much rather pay 800-1000 gems for account bound templates than 100-200 gems for one character bound template. That is kittening WHY ascended gear was made account bound IN THE FIRST PLACE.

And what makes it worse, ANet has already made this mistake with the infinite gathering tools. They were character bound, they were massively overpriced for a character bound item, and they didn't become popular until ANet finally made them account bound and raised the price by a pitiful 25%, demonstrating how much they tend to overprice character bound items. If it's only 1000 gems for every character on your account, 800 gems for one character is downright obscene, even 400 gems would be. And were I a betting man, my money would be on ANet making the exact same stupid mistake again.

To be clear, I am 100% okay with ANet charging for templates, they are a convenience, charging for convenience is not predatory. But I swear, ANet doesn't give their past mistakes so much as a passing thought while they charge headlong into the next mistake.

@Fir.7932 said:

@Obtena.7952 said:I'm guessing based on similar approaches to facilitate players swapping builds, around 1200 Gems.

With this price level, I would have to spend more money on the template slots than for the whole game, just So i could play most of my builds.

I'm all for supporting the game but i have to agree here if its 1200gems for a bundle of the three different slots I would say that is going overboard

for me? Personally gear+trait templates should cost less than a character slot.

So 300-400gems max for gear100-200 for trait templates

I think account storage should be free or less than 100 gems per template.

Edit:If they cost more than a char slot. I will not be buying them. I will instead by char slots.

Considering that the functionality stays way behind gw1 templates, the limitation to templates... quite honestly, anything above 50 gems per template is overpriced.Maybe if they fix limits and legendary armor support... but even then more than 200gems per template is a rip-off.For 800 gems you get a new characterslot with free templates after all, and the template model anet went with is quite inferior to just putting in the 1h work to set up a new character.

@Conncept.7638 said:

@"Seera.5916" said:All three are bought independent of each other.

You don't know that. The announcement article said they are sold as "build storage spaces" with no indication as to what that entails. It could refer to each one, or the set of three sold as a group.

Stop trying to spark outrage by spreading misinformation.

As for me, I don't know, 1-200 gems seems fairish as they are character bound, but to be honest this whole thing is stupid.

The top tier of gear is account bound, it makes ABSOLUTELY NO SENSE WHATSOEVER for gear templates to be character bound, if I want to use the exact same build on my reaper and mesmer, I should be able to without having to buy/make the entire ASCENDED gear set and a template for them TWICE. And I would much rather pay 800-1000 gems for account bound templates than 100-200 gems for one character bound template. That is kittening WHY ascended gear was made account bound IN THE FIRST PLACE.

And what makes it worse, ANet has already made this mistake with the infinite gathering tools. They were character bound, they were massively overpriced for a character bound item, and they didn't become popular until ANet finally made them account bound and raised the price by a pitiful 25%, demonstrating how much they tend to overprice character bound items. If it's only 1000 gems for every character on your account, 800 gems for one character is downright obscene, even 400 gems would be. And were I a betting man, my money would be on ANet making the exact same stupid mistake again.

To be clear, I am 100% okay with ANet charging for templates, they are a convenience, charging for convenience is not predatory. But I swear, ANet doesn't give their past mistakes so much as a passing thought while they charge headlong into the next mistake.

Because they have different limits with different starting amounts. They'd have to be sold primarily independent of each other to avoid players buying excess. They may sell bundles for players getting new characters started.

There are 6 equipment tabs and we start with 2.

There are 6 build template slots and we start with 3.

There are 24 build storage template slots and we start with 3.

They are offering a set of 3 build storage template slots for free for one month after it launches. So we know these are sold independent of the build template slots and the equipment tabs. Whether they are sold in sets of 3 only is unknown. Whether people want to price out per slot or per 3 slots is up to them as we don't know if they will do a buy more and get more per gem.

So what misinformation am I spreading?

@Fir.7932 said:

I don't see a problem with that ... that's true of ANY quantity-based feature Anet sells if you buy enough of them. A build slot (whatever that entails) is going to be AROUND the same price as other features that facilitate multiple builds.

here is the problem ... if it's not priced 'correctly', then you have a TON of customers questioning your pricing practices. Notice I didn't say fair pricing ... I said correct costing. This feature correctly priced will take into account the price of other features the game has to manage builds ... and NONE of those features are under 600 gems. Incorrect pricing not only erodes the confidence of people that want fair ... it's also erodes the confidence of people that expect reasonable. Wanting fair and expecting reasonable are two different perspectives.

@"Seera.5916" said:So what misinformation am I spreading?

You really have the gall to ask that following a post that is literally nothing but a string of assumptions? I'm not saying your post doesn't make sense or is out of the realm of possibility but NONE of that has been confirmed in any official capacity, and is reaching so far for justification that it reads like one of those conspiracy theory strings that winds up being a "Half-Life 3 Confirmed" meme.

@Conncept.7638 said:

@"Seera.5916" said:So what misinformation am I spreading?

You really have the gall to ask that following a post that is literally nothing but a string of assumptions? I'm not saying your post doesn't make sense or is out of the realm of possibility but NONE of that has been confirmed in any official capacity, and is reaching so far for justification that it reads like one of those conspiracy theory strings that winds up being a "Half-Life 3 Confirmed" meme.

Yet this thread is based on making assumptions of how ANet plans to sell things.....

A reasonable price depends on how ANet plans to sell them. If we don't define how we assume they are going to be sold, then there's no way any meaning can be derived from the costs people post. There's no way to compare if we think a person's pricing is too high for us or not.

This thread depends on making an assumption of how ANet plans to sell the slots.

Since it's reasonable to assume that they will be sold independently, asking the OP what slots they are referring to is logical.

@Obtena.7952 said:

@Eddbopkins.2630 said:100-200 charging for QOL is petty imo.

Is it? Consider how much difference there is in specially skinned gathered tools vs. unbreakable ones. It's 200 gems EACH. Petty or not, if 200 gems is inline with the visual of a skin, it's not out to lunch for a convenience.

There's specially skinned gathering tools that people buy vs endless gathering tools skins? If people spend money on useless utilities/ skin i can see why they have the gual to charge for something so inferior to it's predesessor.I for one am not a child and understand the value of money vs what on the market. Games for children shouldn't have a gem store in it. Would you go up to a kid in a baseball field and try to sell him fancy baseball socks? Or a new glove paint? No so why do it in a video game for children?

@Eddbopkins.2630 said:

Is it? Consider how much difference there is in specially skinned gathered tools vs. unbreakable ones. It's 200 gems EACH. Petty or not, if 200 gems is inline with the visual of a skin, it's not out to lunch for a convenience.

There's specially skinned gathering tools that people buy vs endless gathering tools skins? If people spend money on useless utilities/ skin i can see why they have the gual to charge for something so inferior to it's predesessor.I for one am not a child and understand the value of money vs what on the market. Games for children shouldn't have a gem store in it. Would you go up to a kid in a baseball field and try to sell him fancy baseball socks? Or a new glove paint? No so why do it in a video game for children?

Games for children shouldn't use predatory tactics to get kids to spend money.

This is not predatory in the least. Regardless of what price point you think they should be.

@"Yasi.9065" said:For 800 gems you get a new characterslot with free templates after all, and the template model anet went with is quite inferior to just putting in the 1h work to set up a new character.

That's a valid point and came into my considerations when I was thinking about dealing with the "template debacle". As a veteran player I have access to enough ascended armor & weapon chests + the materials and gold for crafting a piece here and there if necessary. Trinkets except backpieces could be tricky for some players but most vets will also have decent amounts of living world & fractal currency and on top raid tokens.So basically for 800 gems you get 3 free build templates + 2 gear slots if I'm not mistaken. Sure, getting the hero points will take time (I don't factor leveling into the equation because vets are swimming in tomes etc.) but experienced players know where they have to go (HP trains) or what to use (WvW tokens) to acquire the elite specs very fast.

160 gems each when using primary school math and blending of that gear slots are more worth since they open up inventory space. So, a reasonable number would be 200 but I doubt that they will be that low priced.

@Eddbopkins.2630 said:

You're not really getting me ... I'm not talking about morality here ... that doesn't determine the price of something. I'm talking about things in the game that already establish what we can expect to pay for these features.

Unbreakable gathering tools (the ones with the boring, no effects skins) are 800 gems. The effects ones are 1000 gems. So if you think you shouldn't be paying 100- 200 gems just for convenience, then you haven't set your expectations very reasonably, considering the difference between these gathering tools is of the same order for an additional visual effect.

To be fair, I had not considered that a new character slot included 2 build slots, so my guess is probably about twice as high as it should be. 500-600 gems, final guess :blush:

@Obtena.7952 said:

You're not really getting me ... I'm not talking about morality here ... that doesn't determine the price of something. I'm talking about things in the game that already establish what we can expect to pay for these features.

Unbreakable gathering tools (the ones with the boring, no effects skins) are 800 gems. The effects ones are 1000 gems. So if you think you shouldn't be paying 100- 200 gems just for convenience, then you haven't set your expectations very reasonably, considering the difference between these gathering tools is of the same order for an additional visual effect.

To be fair, I had not considered that a new character slot included 2 build slots, so my guess is probably about twice as high as it should be. 500-600 gems, final guess :blush:

Actually, it is not just the effect on the gathering tools. Depending on the tool it can be faster, give something more (UM, VM, etc), have a better chance at more mats, and so on.

@Obtena.7952 said:

@Fir.7932 said:

I don't see a problem with that ... that's true of ANY quantity-based feature Anet sells if you buy enough of them. A build slot (whatever that entails) is going to be AROUND the same price as other features that facilitate multiple builds.

here is the problem ... if it's not priced 'correctly', then you have a TON of customers questioning your pricing practices. Notice I didn't say fair pricing ... I said correct costing. This feature correctly priced will take into account the price of other features the game has to manage builds ... and NONE of those features are under 600 gems. Incorrect pricing not only erodes the confidence of people that want fair ... it's also erodes the confidence of people that expect reasonable. Wanting fair and expecting reasonable are two different perspectives.

Well I already spent my time making Legendary gear. I don't know, why I have to spent real money now, just so I can continue using it to it's potential.

@Fir.7932 said:

@Fir.7932 said:

Well I already spent my time making Legendary gear. I don't know, why I have to spent real money now, just so I can continue using it to it's potential.

You don't. Legendary gear didn't lose it's potential because Anet is offering templates.