Updated with Monthly AT games. Showcasing the new meta build in PvP for thief (Core D/P)

Sindrener.1592

Edit:Finals:

Semifinals:

This match was a little one sided, but mainly showing how crazy good core D/P really is

This match was 1800 rated+ on both sides so it was fairly close so it's an exciting match to watch

And last I show an automated tournament game to show it's perfectly viable in organised 5v5 as well

uploading as we speak

Build is up on metabattle:https://metabattle.com/wiki/Build:Thief_-_Marauder_D/P

Any questions?

Yeah it definitely is a good fun build. Last month or more been using trick/sa/cs with valkyrie amulet since precision matters little if ur permastealth and using hidden killer. With scholars I can one shot most non bunker builds and lesser haste let's me get auto with 2 sec crits quick enough to down tougher builds. Still takes two backstabs and some autos on bunker builds tho. Fear on stealth is good in alot of ways just hate chasing em for my follow ups lol.Thanks for posting sind, let the nerf pd thief flow in now in few weeks haha

@"bluri.2653" said:This match was a little one sided, but mainly showing how crazy good core D/P really is

This match was 1800 rated+ on both sides so it was fairly close so it's an exciting match to watch

And last I show an automated tournament game to show it's perfectly viable in organised 5v5 as well

uploading as we speak

Build is up on metabattle:https://metabattle.com/wiki/Build:Thief_-_Marauder_D/P

Any questions?

-Does Smoke Screen feel like a good fit in that mode, mostly saw it in WvW for awhile but not much anymore?-How does Shadowstep feel as your one stun break?-I only get time to cram in some WvW after work so only really see videos of spvp, nice to see some shadow arts there.

I've enjoyed Leeching Venoms lately, it scales up or down well if you're deliberate with it.

Going back to D/P feels like sporting my old sneakers after wearing work boots for a week.

@kash.9213 said:

@"bluri.2653" said:This match was a little one sided, but mainly showing how crazy good core D/P really is

uploading as we speak

Build is up on metabattle:

Any questions?

-Does Smoke Screen feel like a good fit in that mode, mostly saw it in WvW for awhile but not much anymore?-How does Shadowstep feel as your one stun break?-I only get time to cram in some WvW after work so only really see videos of spvp, nice to see some shadow arts there.

I've enjoyed Leeching Venoms lately, it scales up or down well if you're deliberate with it.

Going back to D/P feels like sporting my old sneakers after wearing work boots for a week.

i think smoke screen works good yeah, the projectile destruction is good, super short CD lasts long and is a blind.

Shadowstep as only stunbreak is risky thats why i try to keep withdraw off cd when i spike, survive reveal -> heal and stealth

Kinda goes hand in hand with the S/P meta though. D/P pretty clearly cannibalized it in this video a lot more than D/P was fighting well into say, boonbeast.D/P counters it pretty hard (as I've alluded in other posts) so it only makes sense. I'd expect things to bounce back to S/x as people adjust builds to counter D/P more, assuming it even becomes meta; if one thing is apparent in this video, it's that the S/P build is much simpler/easier to play to get similar results with.

The Assassin's Signet choice surprises me a little because I'm really not sure how much it changes the outcome of any given fight, but it's understandable given how little damage core backstab does these days into the defense powercreep in the game, and how its short cooldown makes it more usable in comparison to other options that would probably have similar impact as a whole.

@Sigmoid.7082 said:InB4 the build gets popularized and the complaint threads start rolling in like S/P.

It won't get too far imho. S/P is easier by a significant margin and the real strength of the build is countering S/P and Mirage. As soon as people build/play around the weaknesses D/P has I would expect 90% of people to go back to S/x.

@DeceiverX.8361 said:Kinda goes hand in hand with the S/P meta though. D/P pretty clearly cannibalized it in this video a lot more than D/P was fighting well into say, boonbeast.D/P counters it pretty hard (as I've alluded in other posts) so it only makes sense. I'd expect things to bounce back to S/x as people adjust builds to counter D/P more, assuming it even becomes meta; if one thing is apparent in this video, it's that the S/P build is much simpler/easier to play to get similar results with.

The Assassin's Signet choice surprises me a little because I'm really not sure how much it changes the outcome of any given fight, but it's understandable given how little damage core backstab does these days into the defense powercreep in the game, and how its short cooldown makes it more usable in comparison to other options that would probably have similar impact as a whole.

@Sigmoid.7082 said:InB4 the build gets popularized and the complaint threads start rolling in like S/P.

It won't get too far imho. S/P is easier by a significant margin and the real strength of the build is countering S/P and Mirage. As soon as people build/play around the weaknesses D/P has I would expect 90% of people to go back to S/x.

No D/P build in sPVP is viable without assassin's signet because you hit like a wet noodle. This core d/p build is already meta over S/P due to the 1 shot potential. Everyone plays this in AT's now and i'm expecting most top teams in EU to run 1 core dp thief and in some teams even up to two.

hello,

i play this build in wvw and it is a lot of fun because the gameplay feels like a true thief/assassin.

now my question: which ascended food is best for this build?

66% steal life, 100 power, 70 precision or66% steal life, 100 power, 70 ferocity orsome other food i dont know of yet?

I have 2636 power (with signet), 56% crit chance and 216% crit dmg

thank you so much

Im happy to say d/p sees some daylight again. But im really questioning its effectiveness. Sure its a "hit&run" build, which plays differently compared to sword/x. But is it better? Looking at that footage, the best you can do (as in what usually happens) is destroy about 40/50%'ish from your target health with assassin signet stealth backstab combo. Yes again i am aware that its a +1'er. But duo to that very reason i feel like sword/pistol is a lot more consistent. Which generally works better? Just my hunch...

@"GWMO.4785" said:Im happy to say d/p sees some daylight again. But im really questioning its effectiveness. Sure its a "hit&run" build, which plays differently compared to sword/x. But is it better? Looking at that footage, the best you can do (as in what usually happens) is destroy about 40/50%'ish from your target health with assassin signet stealth backstab combo. Yes again i am aware that its a +1'er. But duo to that very reason i feel like sword/pistol is a lot more consistent. Which generally works better? Just my hunch...

everyone in EU has moved over to core dp sa already so i'd say its effective, you will barely see any top eu team play S/P in monthly due to how good D/P 1 shot is