PVE: Can someone explain finishers?

I was hoping someone could explain the use of finishers from a PVE players perspective?

1.) If I kill an NPC, will my finisher show?2.) What PVE mobs finishers be used on?3.) Are finisher animations automatic on death?4.) Do other people see my finishers, or is it just me? I assume they are personal since I have not seen other peoples finishers.

I really like the finishers in the gem store; however, as a PVE player, the wiki has me worried that I will never use/see them.

Thanks!

@"Josiah.2967" said:I was hoping someone could explain the use of finishers from a PVE players perspective?

1.) If I kill an NPC, will my finisher show?2.) What PVE mobs finishers be used on?3.) Are finisher animations automatic on death?4.) Do other people see my finishers, or is it just me? I assume they are personal since I have not seen other peoples finishers.

I really like the finishers in the gem store; however, as a PVE player, the wiki has me worried that I will never use/see them.

Thanks!

1 + 2) only a very select few PvE NPCs can be finished. What comes to mind are some of the Toxic Alliance NPCs you find on core maps.3) When you are near a mob that can be finished, you'll see a prompt to push your F key (it says Finish Them). It has a 3.5 second cast time then poof, the target is finished (or stomped) https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Finisher4) Everyone sees the finishers, that is why you get to choose between one that makes you smile vs. one that is sure to make your opponent salty.

Finishers are not really worth using if you only play PvE, because you'll very rarely get to see them. Even in WvW it can be a challenge, because only one person can finish each player, so if someone else gets there first yours won't play. Also you're most likely to get chances to use them in the middle of massive battles and then there may not be time to hang around and watch it.

Finisher in WVW is to make sure that enemy player can't be resurrected back from the same server as that downed player belong to. In down state it is possible to tag creature or enemy player with low health and when they die you rally back.

As people here have described, the animation takes time to finish and during that time it is possible that downed player can turn the tide depending on what downed states skills player have. You are also vulnerable for attack.

In zergs it is often faster to make sure that downed player is dead and forced to use WP. You don't have time to look at finisher when that happens.

1, 2 and 4 have been answered (no they won't show up on deaths of npcs), 3 - they're not automatic on your death or deaths of others. For the very few certain NPCs mentioned (or players you are fighting against in WvW or PvP, they will be downed instead of dead) and as mentioned by the previous poster, a prompt to press F and finish them will appear. It will take them from downed to fulldead if you pull it off. Like other skills this can be interrupted.

The main reason you haven't seen other's finishers as much is because it's in PvE. You can also type the command /rank in PvE to see a finisher with your PvP ranking in PvE. You get a lot of free ones from ranking in pvp, and free ones that appear on holidays.

@"cloudsareyum.8120" said:1, 2 and 4 have been answered (no they won't show up on deaths of npcs), 3 - they're not automatic on your death or deaths of others. For the very few certain NPCs mentioned (or players you are fighting against in WvW or PvP, they will be downed instead of dead) and as mentioned by the previous poster, a prompt to press F and finish them will appear. It will take them from downed to fulldead if you pull it off. Like other skills this can be interrupted.

The main reason you haven't seen other's finishers as much is because it's in PvE. You can also type the command /rank in PvE to see a finisher with your PvP ranking in PvE. You get a lot of free ones from ranking in pvp, and free ones that appear on holidays.

Finishers will also show if you use the /resign command in instanced pve (raids and fractals). If you regularly play raids and/or fractals you might find it worth getting at least one finisher you enjoy.