Advices for New Players — Guild Wars 2 Forums
Home Players Helping Players

Advices for New Players

Hello Everyone,

I need critical advices from you for beginning steps in the game. What should I do to learn the game better and improve myself? Which class is easier to learn the game and discover the world? I also need information about crafting system. Is it really necessary in the first levels? Because I think it is really complex for me now. If you would like to say something else that I cannot remember for now, please say so :)

Thanks in advance for your kind answers.

Comments

  • Danikat.8537Danikat.8537 Member ✭✭✭✭

    Crafting is not necessary early on. It's not easy to make your own equipment as you level up because you'll often be too high level by the time you have the skills and materials to make an item (especially since crafting gives XP), and you can get plenty of equipment from other sources. It's mainly useful later on for collections and rare items which either aren't available another way or are much more expensive to buy than to craft. (Or for making gold by selling those items to other players.) I think it's a good thing to do eventually, but not a priority.

    I think the best way to learn the game is just to play and experiment, then look things up on the Wiki if you can't work it out from the game itself. But that might just be me, I'm generally better at learning by doing than having it described to me.

    As for professions necromancer or ranger are often considered to be easy to play at low levels, and warrior is probably the most straight-forward profession. But honestly I think the best choice is the one you enjoy most. I think most people will make more progress figuring out how to play something they enjoy than putting up with something they find dull just because it's also simple to do. It will also save you time if you're learning the game with a profession you want to stick with, because then you won't need to level up another one to actually play.

    Danielle Aurorel, Desolation EU. Mini Collector

    "You can run like a river, Till you end up in the sea
    And you run till night is black, And keep on going in your dreams
    And you know all the long while, It's the journey that you seek
    It's the miles of moving forward, With the wind beneath your wings"

  • Tiilimon.6094Tiilimon.6094 Member ✭✭✭

    Learn the combo system inside out, it's gonna teach you a lot about different game mechanics and makes some things that seem impossible without them feel quite easy.
    https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Combo

    And play any class that seems fun for you, you can try all skills and builds out for free in the PVP area.(crossed swords @ top left of screen :D)

    Play with camera settings too, playing a healer support engineer turned a lot easier when I moved the camera to look over my right shoulder instead of my characters butt.

  • taurnil.3704taurnil.3704 Member ✭✭

    @Danikat.8537 said:
    Crafting is not necessary early on. It's not easy to make your own equipment as you level up because you'll often be too high level by the time you have the skills and materials to make an item (especially since crafting gives XP), and you can get plenty of equipment from other sources. It's mainly useful later on for collections and rare items which either aren't available another way or are much more expensive to buy than to craft. (Or for making gold by selling those items to other players.) I think it's a good thing to do eventually, but not a priority.

    I think the best way to learn the game is just to play and experiment, then look things up on the Wiki if you can't work it out from the game itself. But that might just be me, I'm generally better at learning by doing than having it described to me.

    As for professions necromancer or ranger are often considered to be easy to play at low levels, and warrior is probably the most straight-forward profession. But honestly I think the best choice is the one you enjoy most. I think most people will make more progress figuring out how to play something they enjoy than putting up with something they find dull just because it's also simple to do. It will also save you time if you're learning the game with a profession you want to stick with, because then you won't need to level up another one to actually play.

    What exactly are other sources? Quests and events?
    As I understood, I should focus on the crafting system at high levels.

  • taurnil.3704taurnil.3704 Member ✭✭

    @Tiilimon.6094 said:
    Learn the combo system inside out, it's gonna teach you a lot about different game mechanics and makes some things that seem impossible without them feel quite easy.
    https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Combo

    And play any class that seems fun for you, you can try all skills and builds out for free in the PVP area.(crossed swords @ top left of screen :D)

    Play with camera settings too, playing a healer support engineer turned a lot easier when I moved the camera to look over my right shoulder instead of my characters butt.

    I really did not think about camera settings before :) Thank you.

  • AliamRationem.5172AliamRationem.5172 Member ✭✭✭✭

    @taurnil.3704 said:
    Hello Everyone,

    I need critical advices from you for beginning steps in the game. What should I do to learn the game better and improve myself? Which class is easier to learn the game and discover the world? I also need information about crafting system. Is it really necessary in the first levels? Because I think it is really complex for me now. If you would like to say something else that I cannot remember for now, please say so :)

    Thanks in advance for your kind answers.

    Don't worry about crafting. You will want to learn crafting skills eventually, but it's not necessary for anything you're going to need while leveling or immediately afterward.

    As for which class to play as a new player? Necromancer usually tops the list here because they have the most health, access to minions, and a straightforward playstyle that is easy to pick up. At the opposite end of the spectrum are elementalists, with the lowest health and a complex playstyle that most new players really struggle to fully utilize.

    Having said that, you should try whatever sounds good to you! I heard what experienced players had to say about elementalist and considered it a challenge! Well, as it turned out, they were right. I found it difficult to wrap my head around all of those weapon skills and how/when to rotate through them and ended up just camping fire attunement a lot. It was too much for me as a new player and I ended up coming back to that class later on (it's currently my main and I can do just about ANYTHING with it!).

  • taurnil.3704taurnil.3704 Member ✭✭

    @AliamRationem.5172 said:

    @taurnil.3704 said:
    Hello Everyone,

    I need critical advices from you for beginning steps in the game. What should I do to learn the game better and improve myself? Which class is easier to learn the game and discover the world? I also need information about crafting system. Is it really necessary in the first levels? Because I think it is really complex for me now. If you would like to say something else that I cannot remember for now, please say so :)

    Thanks in advance for your kind answers.

    Don't worry about crafting. You will want to learn crafting skills eventually, but it's not necessary for anything you're going to need while leveling or immediately afterward.

    As for which class to play as a new player? Necromancer usually tops the list here because they have the most health, access to minions, and a straightforward playstyle that is easy to pick up. At the opposite end of the spectrum are elementalists, with the lowest health and a complex playstyle that most new players really struggle to fully utilize.

    Having said that, you should try whatever sounds good to you! I heard what experienced players had to say about elementalist and considered it a challenge! Well, as it turned out, they were right. I found it difficult to wrap my head around all of those weapon skills and how/when to rotate through them and ended up just camping fire attunement a lot. It was too much for me as a new player and I ended up coming back to that class later on (it's currently my main and I can do just about ANYTHING with it!).

    Thank you for your valuable comments.
    Actually I am thinking that I can play a new champion after improving myself. During the this time, I can understand the game mechanics and other classes. I think everyone has more than one character in their accounts.
    Also I will start the game alone. Hope it will not be hard and boring for me. I guess I must meet new people and join to guild.

  • Randulf.7614Randulf.7614 Member ✭✭✭✭

    Joining the right Guild is basically the answer. You can learn on your own sure, but a lot of people learn off of others - either through advice or more importantly, by trying and failing/succeeding together

    What sleep is here? What dreams there are in the unctuous coiling of the snakes mortal shuffling. weapon in my hand. My hand the arcing deathblow at the end of all things. The horror. The horror. I embrace it. . .

  • taurnil.3704taurnil.3704 Member ✭✭

    I also wonder which world you suggest for new players?

  • Randulf.7614Randulf.7614 Member ✭✭✭✭

    @taurnil.3704 said:
    I also wonder which world you suggest for new players?

    pve servers are inter mixed, so it doesn't matter what you choose. Servers matter for wvw

    What sleep is here? What dreams there are in the unctuous coiling of the snakes mortal shuffling. weapon in my hand. My hand the arcing deathblow at the end of all things. The horror. The horror. I embrace it. . .

  • mindcircus.1506mindcircus.1506 Member ✭✭✭✭

    Game Options (ESC)>Options>Show All Usable Object Names
    click it on.

    "We recognize that some players are not able to complete all content." Gaile Gray 01.10.19

  • taurnil.3704taurnil.3704 Member ✭✭

    @Randulf.7614 said:

    @taurnil.3704 said:
    I also wonder which world you suggest for new players?

    pve servers are inter mixed, so it doesn't matter what you choose. Servers matter for wvw

    Ahh it is good. Thanks.

  • Tsakhi.8124Tsakhi.8124 Member ✭✭✭

    Don't be afraid to ask for help! There are plenty of mentors (they have apples above their heads) that will teach you the ins and outs of every class. Also, don't hesitate to jump into fights as there is no kill stealing. (You probably knew that, though.) Situational awareness is super important, too, but that's been covered with the camera angle thing and while it's not necessary, playing with the sound on is helpful; I sometimes hear an attack before I see it. I hope this helps. Feel free to add me if you have questions. (I'll try my best to answer them.)


    Mistakes don't define us, solutions do.

    You're never alone in this world that's forever shifting, nor alone on this path unwinding.

    i like celery


  • The most important thing to keep in mind is that it's impossible to permanently screw up a character. At some point you will unlock all skills and traits, you can always get different equipment for a reasonable price and there's no reason to worry about finding the perfect race for your profession. So feel free to experiment!

    Since you mentioned crafting: Crafting is really complex and confusing at times. I don't think anyone knows all the recipes. If you want to know how to craft something or what you can use an item for, just look it up on the wiki. You can reach it by typing /wiki in chat.

    Another thing that might be relevant if you are lucky enough to get an ascended weapon or armor piece (for example from defeating Tequatl) is that you can change the stats on ascended armor and weapons. If you don't like the stats, just change them. https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Stat_changing

    If you aren't that lucky, don't bother with ascended for now. The personal story provides enough equipment while leveling up. Once you're lvl 80 you can buy some cheap exotic armor from the trading post and start gathering currency on the living season maps to buy trinkets. If you find someone with a fully equipped home instance, try to harvest everything in that instance once a day. You can usually find such a person by joining a guild.

    No skin should be exclusive to gem-store rng boxes.
    What really happened with mount skins

  • Cuks.8241Cuks.8241 Member ✭✭✭
    edited May 19, 2020

    @BunjiKugashira.9754 said:
    The most important thing to keep in mind is that it's impossible to permanently screw up a character. At some point you will unlock all skills and traits, you can always get different equipment for a reasonable price and there's no reason to worry about finding the perfect race for your profession. So feel free to experiment!

    What this guy said.

    Don't worry about the stuff that players that are playing 7 year are striving for, that will come.
    Enjoy the game, learn your character, explore the world. This is foremost open world game. Don't be afraid to join guilds, many are casual and don't require anything from you but can provide help and guidance. You can join multiple guilds.
    This game is designed that cooperation is always beneficial which means people will welcome your help. If you see tags (commander or mentor tags) on the map maybe something interesting is happening there. You can click commander tags and join their squads, feel free to do it, most will welcome you.

    Gearing up is easy, like really easy if you know what you are doing. But skill is more important due to the fast arcade combat system.

    End game is fashion.
    Getting functional stats for the 95% of end game content is super easy, should get enough gold just from logging in and lvl up stuff that come by random.
    Getting best in game stats is easy once you have invested in basic stuff like crafting and know what you are doing.
    Getting a legendary sword that glows and makes you also glow is a many months if not years project (no better stats just the shiny).
    Getting invisible shoes (not invisibility, just shoes that are well not seen) or a special glow around your character will cost you all your real life, your soul and you will have to sacrifice a close female relative on a full moon in March. Or it will drop from random mob.
    One of the most prestige raid reward is a chair. You can sit on it, its freaking amazing.

  • Excursion.9752Excursion.9752 Member ✭✭✭
    1. Understand the map. Learn how to read the map so you can quickly locate and identify where you are in correlation to where you've been and where you want to go.
    2. Focus on learning the UI. Lot to dabble around with in the Hero panel which will lead you to questions that you will seek to answer. Like gear and builds ect.
    3. Map completion of Core Tyria maps. I suggest you don't even get mounts or gliding until you have fully leveled your first character to 80 in core tyria. (No max lvl bost)
    4. Experiment with all the weapons your class has to offer and get to know them
    5. Keep your gear within 10 levels of your character level. Buy cheap stuff off the trading post.
    6. Try not to rush. There is plenty of time for that when you become a veteran of the game.
    7. Gather all the resources you can. Make sure you have harvesting tools equip at all times and a backup set just in case one breaks. Helps with crafting later on.
    8. Don't be afraid to ask questions in map chat type /m "space" in chat then you can chat to everyone that is on your current map. Ask for help. Don't mind the trolls.
    9. If you are not enjoying the class you picked make a new one. I got my first character to 60 before I made my first switch. Leveling is faster the second go round.
    10. Find a guild that fits you. They can be a great resource to you in all areas of the game.

    Good Luck Out There!

                                                              There is a 50% chance you will not agree with me and a 50% chance I will not agree with you
    
  • Orack.9756Orack.9756 Member ✭✭
    edited May 19, 2020

    As a new player myself who love doing challenging solo stuff like champ and legendary, or even dungeon.
    The best advice I can tell you and make me way better is to not be afraid to retreat before you become to low HP.
    Their is many situation or you'll have to be patient and kite (can be frustrating if you're a melee player) and wait for opportunity/recover to re-engage.

    Keep always at least 1 condi-cleanse skill in your bar as it's, for me, the most dangerous thing in the game when solo.

    Their are lot of build for diverse content on metabattle, but be careful, from what I've experienced, these build are not made at all for solo hard thing.
    If you plan to play solo a lot, I'll suggest to look at Youtube player that actually do and show it. Ignore build who speak about solo hard thing but don't prove it, they often don't work.

    Try different class, I was finding Guardian and Warrior very cool, but one day made an Necro out of curiosity and it was a blast, can't imagine to play something else now.
    So don't be shy/afraid by leveling different class to 80 (and try at least 1 spe, fast to do with exploration bus) before investing to much in a char.

    For craft, I don't have look at it myself so I can't help. But it's not necessary, I'm in full exo since I hit lv80 and never had trouble doing content like this.
    You can have it from TP or from drop/even/HoT seller.
    Ascended are mainly for raid or harder fractal from what I understand. Will probably make one later but for now I'm fine.

    Don't be afraid to ask in game when you need helps/advice and to favorite the wiki and many site made by player.
    The community is very friendly in general and incredibly productive, never seen that much guide, old player making bus to help new in HoT map and so, very cool community.

    And last, the advice I give to new player in every game I played : Test ANYTHING you want.
    That very important, don't be afraid to failed miserably, just test thing before judge.
    Their is lot of "cool" build that are in fact bad once you are familiar with how the class work and in an other hand, lot of underrated build who are very fun and totally work.
    It's just a game, nothing will happen if you made mistake ^^

    TL;DR : just have fun and test all you want :)

  • taurnil.3704taurnil.3704 Member ✭✭

    @Tsakhi.8124 said:
    Don't be afraid to ask for help! There are plenty of mentors (they have apples above their heads) that will teach you the ins and outs of every class. Also, don't hesitate to jump into fights as there is no kill stealing. (You probably knew that, though.) Situational awareness is super important, too, but that's been covered with the camera angle thing and while it's not necessary, playing with the sound on is helpful; I sometimes hear an attack before I see it. I hope this helps. Feel free to add me if you have questions. (I'll try my best to answer them.)

    Thank you for your valuable comments :)
    If I understood accurate, server is not important for Pve. Does it mean that I can play with you and other players from other servers?
    Actually I also wonder status of servers. It is not important to play in a random server? I must check something else to choose my server? Is there any criteria?

  • taurnil.3704taurnil.3704 Member ✭✭

    @Orack.9756 said:
    As a new player myself who love doing challenging solo stuff like champ and legendary, or even dungeon.
    The best advice I can tell you and make me way better is to not be afraid to retreat before you become to low HP.
    Their is many situation or you'll have to be patient and kite (can be frustrating if you're a melee player) and wait for opportunity/recover to re-engage.

    Keep always at least 1 condi-cleanse skill in your bar as it's, for me, the most dangerous thing in the game when solo.

    Their are lot of build for diverse content on metabattle, but be careful, from what I've experienced, these build are not made at all for solo hard thing.
    If you plan to play solo a lot, I'll suggest to look at Youtube player that actually do and show it. Ignore build who speak about solo hard thing but don't prove it, they often don't work.

    Try different class, I was finding Guardian and Warrior very cool, but one day made an Necro out of curiosity and it was a blast, can't imagine to play something else now.
    So don't be shy/afraid by leveling different class to 80 (and try at least 1 spe, fast to do with exploration bus) before investing to much in a char.

    For craft, I don't have look at it myself so I can't help. But it's not necessary, I'm in full exo since I hit lv80 and never had trouble doing content like this.
    You can have it from TP or from drop/even/HoT seller.
    Ascended are mainly for raid or harder fractal from what I understand. Will probably make one later but for now I'm fine.

    Don't be afraid to ask in game when you need helps/advice and to favorite the wiki and many site made by player.
    The community is very friendly in general and incredibly productive, never seen that much guide, old player making bus to help new in HoT map and so, very cool community.

    And last, the advice I give to new player in every game I played : Test ANYTHING you want.
    That very important, don't be afraid to failed miserably, just test thing before judge.
    Their is lot of "cool" build that are in fact bad once you are familiar with how the class work and in an other hand, lot of underrated build who are very fun and totally work.
    It's just a game, nothing will happen if you made mistake ^^

    TL;DR : just have fun and test all you want :)

    Thank you for your valuable comments :)
    I read all your comments and they are really important for me, be sure. I liked this community and I predict it will be same when I am in the game.
    I will try to follow your advices to have fun and improve myself in the game. As you said, it is a game and I try to make it more fun :)

  • taurnil.3704taurnil.3704 Member ✭✭

    @Excursion.9752 said:
    1. Understand the map. Learn how to read the map so you can quickly locate and identify where you are in correlation to where you've been and where you want to go.
    2. Focus on learning the UI. Lot to dabble around with in the Hero panel which will lead you to questions that you will seek to answer. Like gear and builds ect.
    3. Map completion of Core Tyria maps. I suggest you don't even get mounts or gliding until you have fully leveled your first character to 80 in core tyria. (No max lvl bost)
    4. Experiment with all the weapons your class has to offer and get to know them
    5. Keep your gear within 10 levels of your character level. Buy cheap stuff off the trading post.
    6. Try not to rush. There is plenty of time for that when you become a veteran of the game.
    7. Gather all the resources you can. Make sure you have harvesting tools equip at all times and a backup set just in case one breaks. Helps with crafting later on.
    8. Don't be afraid to ask questions in map chat type /m "space" in chat then you can chat to everyone that is on your current map. Ask for help. Don't mind the trolls.
    9. If you are not enjoying the class you picked make a new one. I got my first character to 60 before I made my first switch. Leveling is faster the second go round.
    10. Find a guild that fits you. They can be a great resource to you in all areas of the game.

    Good Luck Out There!

    Thank you for your valuable comments my friend.
    I will consider your advices.
    One more thing?
    How can I find the all sources except quests? Quests (or dungeon-events) include all sources?

  • Tsakhi.8124Tsakhi.8124 Member ✭✭✭

    @taurnil.3704 said:

    @Tsakhi.8124 said:
    Don't be afraid to ask for help! There are plenty of mentors (they have apples above their heads) that will teach you the ins and outs of every class. Also, don't hesitate to jump into fights as there is no kill stealing. (You probably knew that, though.) Situational awareness is super important, too, but that's been covered with the camera angle thing and while it's not necessary, playing with the sound on is helpful; I sometimes hear an attack before I see it. I hope this helps. Feel free to add me if you have questions. (I'll try my best to answer them.)

    Thank you for your valuable comments :)
    If I understood accurate, server is not important for Pve. Does it mean that I can play with you and other players from other servers?
    Actually I also wonder status of servers. It is not important to play in a random server? I must check something else to choose my server? Is there any criteria?

    Yep, PvE is a mega-server, the only time servers matter are in World vs. World. As for server status, I'm not sure, but I'm sure someone will be able to help you with that. Have fun, see you in Tyria!


    Mistakes don't define us, solutions do.

    You're never alone in this world that's forever shifting, nor alone on this path unwinding.

    i like celery


  • Jelle.7856Jelle.7856 Member ✭✭

    Ever since mega-servers came out (where they combine player-bases of multiple servers together on one pve map), servers don't matter.
    Right now, servers are only used in WvW matchmaking; however, even if you are in a small server, they will match you with a large server for each week. That said, arenanet has been planning to remove servers entirely and make WvW guild based so do join a Guild.

    For now, if you plan on trying all game modes, I would suggest a low pop server so if your friends want to play with you in a WvW environment, they can join you without issue.