Let us dye aquatic headgears

ROMANG.1903

I just discovered that the "Air Filtration Device" helmet skin, which uses the same model as the underwater Breather, can be dyed with 3 dye channels. Would it be possible to unlock those for the underwater version as well? Perhaps even just let us use our regular helmets underwater... Outfits already do that...

@Tiviana.2650 said:Let us dye weapons! Since we see those the most.

While I totally agree this would be cool (alongside backpeices), these items were not built with dye mechanics in mind. They would require major changes in order to become dyable.

On the other hand, aquatic headgears share their models with regular headgears which happen to be dyable, which means that the dye channels exist, the interface just doesn't let us change them.

@ROMANG.1903 said:

While I totally agree this would be cool (alongside backpeices), these items were not built with dye mechanics in mind. They would require major changes in order to become dyable.

On the other hand, aquatic headgears share their models with regular headgears which happen to be dyable, which means that the dye channels exist, the interface just doesn't let us change them.

But how do you know that? Maybe it wouldnt req much to do it. I mean we can dye mounts even and thats a much more complicated thing than weapons. I dont care if we dye aquatic gear or not its so small you never really notice it, and only on when underwater.

@Tiviana.2650 said:

But how do you know that? Maybe it wouldnt req much to do it. I mean we can dye mounts even and thats a much more complicated thing than weapons. I dont care if we dye aquatic gear or not its so small you never really notice it, and only on when underwater.

Well you don't care but I do, and it looks like something pretty easy to do since the dye channels already exist. Just add it to the interface, done.

And by the way, it's not because mounts are bigger or not an armor peice that they are more complicated to make dyable... And if they are, I don't see why we couldn't make backpeices, weapons and aquatic headgears dyable as well.

@Tiviana.2650 said:

How do we know that? Because the Devs have explicitly explained why dyeing weapons isn't feasible, and those Dev quotes have been posted on the forums (old and new) many, many times.

@Inculpatus cedo.9234 said:

How do we know that? Because the Devs have explicitly explained why dyeing weapons isn't feasible, and those Dev quotes have been posted on the forums (old and new) many, many times.

Well i wouldnt know that, so ill look for it. But you could have said the devs said it couldnt be done. Not just infer that.

@lokh.2695 said:+1 for this.Or even better, just merge the wardrobes for aquatic and non-aquatic headgear and make all helmet skins available underwater.

It DOES seem kind of funny that we have to don a piece of equipment that is designed to reflect a practical underwater use when the rest of our gear is unchanged. Scuba diving in heavy plate armour doesn't seem like a good idea (especially in places like Frostgorge), but if we're going with that and not switching to some kind of aquatic suit, then why does the helmet need to look different?

I just want to keep my helmet when I go underwater. I've got 2 characters whos' looks are completely ruined without their headgear, and it makes me want to avoid water as much as possible. Being able to dye them would make it a bit better than it is now, but it would still annoy the heck out of me.

• 3 months later...

Totally agree that we should be able to dye them, with the Air Filtration Device it definitly seem it wouldn't be complicate and seriously there is so much underwater combat and everyone's so ugly with their head gear not even the same color as the rest.

Arena Net you know fashion war is end-game comon we need this

@Inculpatus cedo.9234 said:

Well, in fact, if it can be coded, it can be done. They only question is how much it will cost and whether RoI will be enough to justify it. What they said was it's too much of an effort, not that it's not possible. So it can change in the future.

I'd just get rid of them as gear altogether, since there's no reason to have two separate pieces of headgear and there's no alternate rune effects to keep in a 6th slot underwater. They are just visuals.

Move the swimming speed infusion slot to some other piece of gear, make it dedicated for swimming infusions like the Enrichment slot in amulets, make the breather slot a new separate slot in the outfit panel, and put there all the headgear skins that look like they would be nice breathers, like the Gas Mask and the Sorrow's Embrace helmets. Then let people dye the breather in the dye panel.

Let players talk with an NPC to recove the piece of gear that can't be equipped anymore, like when they removed town clothes, so they can salvage from them infusions and materials.

One less piece of redundant gear, more customization options. That would be nice.

@Tiviana.2650 said:

Well i wouldnt know that, so ill look for it. But you could have said the devs said it couldnt be done. Not just infer that.

Not to be picky, but you were to infer, Inculpatus implied.

@MoriMoriMori.5349 said:Well, in fact, if it can be coded, it can be done. They only question is how much it will cost and whether RoI will be enough to justify it. What they said was it's too much of an effort, not that it's not possible. So it can change in the future.

It can change; it won't change however and the devs have said as much. The RoI for changing the entire system of colorization for weapons is never going to be positive until their's an engine change, the likes of which only happen with new games.

@Westenev.5289 said:I'd prefer if Aquabreathers ceased to exist personally. :s The concept made sense in 2012/2013, but with serious underwater combat being phased out of every game mode (outside of core PvE maps and one fractal), what is the point in them?

Breathers never made sense to me. They have never been required to breathe underwater in the live game, so all they have been is an excuse to have lower stats for the first 3 years of the game (because originally masterwork L80 was the best-in-slot and even later, rare was top tier). It also meant you needed a seventh rune for any armor set and there is no legendary, so no way around that for people who earned legendary gear.

It's only relatively recently that ascended breathers have been as accessible to most people as ascended headgear.

However I stopped making an annual post for ANet to revisit their concept after Underwater Infusions were released, since now ANet has sextupled down on the original idea. Masterwork Breathers (single vendor; single stat, different for each weight) → Rare Breathers (only a single stat option; limited sources) → Exotic Breathers (choice of 5 stats, highly limited availability) → Ascended Breather recipes outside of fractals → Ascended Breather vendor → Underwater Infusions.

tl;dr game would be better off (in my opinion) by turning breathers into a wardrobe-only item(people with existing ones could trade them in for minor ascended armor; the infusions could be slotted into the existing breather slot, without requiring the gear)