Runecrafter's Salvage-o-Matic concerns [Merged]

@Illconceived Was Na.9781 said:

@SabreWolf.4537 said:I'm a new player (level 50) and I don't have any Salvage-o-matics yet. The copper is 800 gems and the runecrafters is 600 gem.. which one should I get? I don't really understand this whole salvage thing yet.

I'd advise not worrying about it right now. Once you've put in a few dozen hours, you'll get a sense of the sort of things you like and dislike doing in the game. Right now, it's viable to collect the unID gear over time (from L80 characters) and sell it all, without worrying about salvaging. For under L80, you can make do with salvage kits from vendors.

Later, there are numerous guides out there for extracting the most coin possible from drops, if you decide that's a good way to spend your time.

Agreed. Don't spend your time on that until you reached lvl 80, at least. I actually spent most of my lvl 80 time without these items, and did perfectly ok. They are convenience, not necessities. :)

• 3 months later...
  • Replies 167
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi All, looking for conclusive answer here, especially since motes seem to be going up, slowly. If they are used in one way or another for legendary runes then it will probably spike like crazy.I have copper-fed, which seems to be a good bet everything below rare. Soon the silver-fed and runecrafters will be back in the store, which is now conclusivley better at making $$$? Is the mystic kit still better for rares? I'm tired of crafting it.

I really appreciate all the insight, as well as the supporting numbers. Here is my conclusion from what I have read.

+Copper Salvage-O-Matic (Convenience)+Runecrafters Salvage-O-Matic (Convenience, yellow)

It seems like the ideal solution under that setup isFine (and under): CopperMasterwork: RunecrafterRare: Mystic > Runecrafter

Does that sound right?

@AWSUMSAUCE.4372 said:Hi All, looking for conclusive answer here, especially since motes seem to be going up, slowly. If they are used in one way or another for legendary runes then it will probably spike like crazy.I have copper-fed, which seems to be a good bet everything below rare. Soon the silver-fed and runecrafters will be back in the store, which is now conclusivley better at making $$$? Is the mystic kit still better for rares? I'm tired of crafting it.

There's no conclusive answer, because there are a bunch of different variables. There are general principles or rules of thumb you can use; they just won't be guaranteed to be best at any given moment.

@"Josiah.2967" said:+Copper Salvage-O-Matic (Convenience)+Runecrafters Salvage-O-Matic (Convenience, yellow)

I do not recommend using RC on rares, because the reduced ecto drop rate isn't made up for (currently) by the increase in lucent.

It seems like the ideal solution under that setup isFine (and under): CopperThis one is the easiest: copper-fed is always best when there's no chance of an upgrade.

Masterwork: RunecrafterOn greens with upgrades, yes, good choice. On greens without (most greens from fractals, all trinkets), CF is better.

Rare: Mystic > RunecrafterAs I mentioned, I recommend Silver-Fed for this.

Exotics: sell on the TP; there's almost no set of circumstances in which it's sensible to salvage. The prime exception is bound exotics, in which case: BL Kit (if you have tons), BL kit if the upgrade is valuable (and you have any kits), and SF otherwise.

If you have more karma than you can spend, an optimum choice is using master kits, because they have the best of most worlds: same stats as Silver-fed, without a coin cost (which is the only reason for not using SF on everything). However, I have plans for my karma, so it's not "free" for me. For convenience, you can upgrade to mystic salvage kits if you also have enough mystic stones.

Here's a recent economic analysis by @"Ojimaru.8970" covering a lot of options, including the assumption of "infinite karma"https://en-forum.guildwars2.com/discussion/83534/july-31-2019-salvage-or-sell-legendary-upgrades-edition

edit: thanks to @Shep.4026 for correcting my typo

@"Illconceived Was Na.9781"

Thank you for the detailed response. If I understand correctly, the economic climate has changed.

The new "keep it simple" approach would be to get Copper and Silver-fed salvage-o-matic.

Green's and Bellow -> Copper-FedYellow: Mystic > Silver-fed (Mystic first)Epic: Almost always auction, if not use Black Lions Salvage Kit. (I was using Mystic when I wanted to unlock the skin)

Funny thing, this is what I have been doing. It seemed like the best return from my limited sample size.

I do not see myself spending time or trying to figure out Green's with upgrades vs Green's without upgrades. If I had a salvage all greens with upgrade, then I could justify the rune-fed...especially for a small return. Return/Convenience play a big roll here for me.

I also find myself with more Mystic kits than I can use.... I assume that will change. Though that will be a while, which makes me question the Silver-fed. The 250 stack makes the Mystic Salvage kits more convenient than the other normal kits. I assume things will change, and I will eventually run out.

@"Josiah.2967" said:The new "keep it simple" approach would be to get Copper and Silver-fed salvage-o-matic.

Green's and Bellow -> Copper-FedYellow: Mystic > Silver-fed (Mystic first)Epic: Almost always auction, if not use Black Lions Salvage Kit. (I was using Mystic when I wanted to unlock the skin)That's a fine system if (a) you aren't using karma to purchase kits (as recommended in the other thread), (b) you don't yet own the Runecrafter's, and © you want to keep it as simple as possible.

It won't be 100% optimum financially, which is fine since coin isn't the only factor.

Funny thing, this is what I have been doing. It seemed like the best return from my limited sample size.It's unlikely that most of us reading the forums have a big enough sample for the Law of Large Numbers to dominate; fluctuations will happen, i.e. we all have lucky/unlucky streaks. Best not to worry too much about whether we're personally seeing average or not.

I do not see myself spending time or trying to figure out Green's with upgrades vs Green's without upgrades.A perfectly sensible simplification.

I also find myself with more Mystic kits than I can use.... I assume that will change. Though that will be a while, which makes me question the Silver-fed. The 250 stack makes the Mystic Salvage kits more convenient than the other normal kits. I assume things will change, and I will eventually run out.Until you can "see" the end of your mystic kits (or karma-to-buy-master's), you can use Mystic for greens with upgrades (or in your case: all greens) & all rares. Sure, you'll eventually run out. The financial advantage is big enough that you can replace Mystic with Silver-Fed for rares and Copper-Fed for greens-with-upgrades.

Minor correction @Illconceived Was Na.9781 , it's not Mystic Coins you need for Mystic Salvage Kits. I actually have SF, but I'm currently using Mystic, because I have such an abundance of Mystic Forge Stones and absolutely no other use for them (flushing them down the toilet is not an option for me), that I might as well save the 1.2376 Gold per Kit.

Essentially my recommendation would be to build Mystic Salvage Kits if Mystic Forge Stones come in regularly enough to sustain making them. This should be the case if you only salvage rares with it. Therefore, if I were to start from scratch, I'd buy copper-fed and runecrafter and salvage as follows:

Common/Fine: CFMaster: RCRare: MysticExotic: Black Lion

Also, I wouldn't support selling exotics in general, just because there aren't any valuable upgrades to salvage. I actually followed this advice (from someone else, not from you, Na^^) and had quite an awakening when I wanted to craft my first ascended gear and suddenly needed (was it?) 90 Globs of Dark Matter, which are account bound and exclusively obtained by salvaging exotics level 68 and higher. Having to buy exotics from the TP just to salvage them for the Globs was very frustrating. Now, I will admit that it is worth selling in most cases. Keeping in mind that I want to collect Globs I mostly use the following tactic:

I check the listing price of the exotic I have. Let's say it's around 30 silver. Then I check the order price for exotic armor >= level 68. Let's say that the cheapest (not necessarily the first in the list!!) is around 15 silver. I will then list mine and buy order two of the other to salvage for Globs. I know it doesn't work out perferctly due to TP fees, but it's the compromise I can best live with. To make things as stress-free as possible for me, I decided to directly salvage any exotic >= level 68 that has a listing price under 30 silver. Yes, I could sell it for 28 and maybe buy one for 15, but I rarely have exotics in that price range, so it's just not worth the headache for me.

@Josiah.2967 said:I thinks with the Rune and Silver Salvag-O-Matic's back in stock it's important to keep this post active.

So if you own all three the simplistic approach seems to be:Blue and lower: CopperGreen: RuneYellow: Mystic>Silver-Fed

Yes, that's a fine simplification (if perhaps an oversimplification) most of the time. The markets have been volatile of late, so there will be times when it's not optimal.

@Josiah.2967 said:So is it true that the Rune-fed doesn't give luck or as much luck as the copper?

There's no difference in the amount of luck, not for any salvage kit. Greens give more than blues (and other rarities don't drop any).Good question though: for non-veterans, it's worth building up luck (if you don't need to go to much trouble to do so).

@"Zin Dau.1749" said:It's much simpler.

Green and below: CopperYellow and Orange: Sell item

No need for Runecrafter.

That is simpler and significantly less efficient, financially.

Every rule of thumb for managing inventory is a compromise between convenience and net profit. It's up to each player to determine the right cutoff for themselves.

For a data-driven analysis of the options, visit this thread:https://en-forum.guildwars2.com/discussion/83534/july-31-2019-salvage-or-sell-legendary-upgrades-edition

• 1 year later...

insert string of cursewords Arenanet, did you just change the English language to suit your needs?

You DO realize that 'to salvage' means 'to rescue', right? You salvage usable parts from an item.

SO WHEN YOU PUT IN A DESCRIPTION '100% chance of salvaging upgrades' THIS MEANS THAT YOU SALVAGE UPGRADES FROM THE ITEM! SO YOU RESCUE THEM FROM THE ITEM! IT DOES NOT MEAN THE UPGRADE IS DESTROYED 100% OF THE TIME!

So either change the description of the 'Runecrafter's Salvage-o-Matic' to say '100% chance of salvaging parts from upgrades', or make it so that the upgrades are always salvaged (rescued) from the item you use it on.

@Illconceived Was Na.9781 said:

@"Zin Dau.1749" said:It's much simpler.

Green and below: CopperYellow and Orange: Sell item

No need for Runecrafter.

That is simpler and significantly less efficient, financially.

Every rule of thumb for managing inventory is a compromise between convenience and net profit. It's up to each player to determine the right cutoff for themselves.

For a data-driven analysis of the options, visit this thread:

But shouldn't you have to factor in the upfront cost of paying for a Runecrafter's kit? How long would that take to breakeven, plus the additional time spent divying up the different types of salvages per salvage run?