Self-Style Hair Kit and Total Makeover Kit no longer a Black Lion Chest drop?!

@Trise.2865 said:

@"Tukaram.8256" said:You mean microtransactions? Like shiny stuff for sale? Just don't buy it. No is forcing you.

Except that's not true. The community, by design, puts extreme pressure on players to have the nicest skins, "Fashion Wars 2", some call it.First, that's not "force;" at worst, that's peer pressure. Second, I don't care that some people call it Fashion Wars; that's an imagined name that people use as a meme.

Whether real or imagined, cosmetics coupled with "it's no big deal" community attitudes
are
"forcing" people to pay in order to remain invested in the game.... "Making paying the default". (Ref. Fortnite, and that whole
, for a more obvious example.)Fortnite is a different game.I haven't seen anyone in this game
bullying
other players for a missing unlock. (Tease people about their fashion sense? Sure)

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

@"Trise.2865" said:Except that's not true. The community, by design, puts extreme pressure on players to have the nicest skins,how is the community forcing me to have "the nicest skins"? Define nice. Some people like the looks of Eternity. I don't. Is it a nice skin or not? Should I get that because somebody else thinks it's a "nice skin"?

Is my inquest skinned sword (dungeon skin) less practical than a The Shining Blade skinned sword? I like how the Inquest Sword fits my looks, and I don't care what others think of that. Some of my characters even wear the cheapest skin available in game: the Heritage set (free to apply always).

@Trise.2865 said:

@"Tukaram.8256" said:You mean microtransactions? Like shiny stuff for sale? Just don't buy it. No is forcing you.

Except that's not true. The community, by design, puts extreme pressure on players to have the nicest skins, "Fashion Wars 2", some call it. Whether real or imagined, cosmetics coupled with "it's no big deal" community attitudes
are
"forcing" people to pay in order to remain invested in the game.... "Making paying the default". (Ref. Fortnite, and that whole
, for a more obvious example.)

It affects some more than others, and
can
be combatted by reinforcing self-control and discipline... but those aren't the people being targetted by this, are they? No, this preys specifically on people who
don't
have strong self-control; who
lack
discipline for whatever reason (up to and including mental illness and flavors of autism). By specifically targeting vulnerable individuals, by definition, this practice is "predatory".

The community does not, by design, put any pressure, let alone, "extreme pressure," to have the nicest skins.

Perhaps your personal circle of friends uses peer pressure to dictate what each other wears, but, if that is a problem for you, that is an indicator of a need to find a new group of friends, not an issue with the community.

@Trise.2865 said:

Except that's not true. The community, by design, puts extreme pressure on players to have the nicest skins, "Fashion Wars 2", some call it. Whether real or imagined, cosmetics coupled with "it's no big deal" community attitudes
are
, for a more obvious example.)

This is clearly one of the most egregious examples of hyperbole in this thread. A truly ridiculous argument. Anyone who buys into what you are saying deserves what they get.

We understand that you want the shiny.We understand you would like it cheaper/non-rng.Now can we cool it with the overly-dramatic rhetoric and sock-puppet arguments?

I understand that crafting is a big part of this game but I feel that dropped loot and rewards from chests and events is far too heavily weighted to crafting mats. I'm not a crafter so this loot is not something I enjoy getting at all, blasphemy I know. It is disappointing that these items have been removed because I liked getting them and I used them a lot. I only have one in the bank, not hundreds. The keys used to be exciting to get but after all the changes to the boxes, not so much now.

@Ithlia.1830 said:I understand that crafting is a big part of this game but I feel that dropped loot and rewards from chests and events is far too heavily weighted to crafting mats. I'm not a crafter so this loot is not something I enjoy getting at all, blasphemy I know. It is disappointing that these items have been removed because I liked getting them and I used them a lot. I only have one in the bank, not hundreds. The keys used to be exciting to get but after all the changes to the boxes, not so much now.

I got 5 keays the other day and on all 5 boxes the first 2 items were locked on some junk I did not want. So there was only 2 spaces of possible good loot. I rarely bought keys, now I will sell my chests, I guess. I do not remember what the locked slots were - maybe a box of crafting junk? I just sell all my crafting junk on the trading post anyway...

@Tukaram.8256 said:

@Ithlia.1830 said:I understand that crafting is a big part of this game but I feel that dropped loot and rewards from chests and events is far too heavily weighted to crafting mats. I'm not a crafter so this loot is not something I enjoy getting at all, blasphemy I know. It is disappointing that these items have been removed because I liked getting them and I used them a lot. I only have one in the bank, not hundreds. The keys used to be exciting to get but after all the changes to the boxes, not so much now.

I got 5 keays the other day and on all 5 boxes the first 2 items were locked on some junk I did not want. So there was only 2 spaces of possible good loot. I rarely bought keys, now I will sell my chests, I guess. I do not remember what the locked slots were - maybe a box of crafting junk? I just sell all my crafting junk on the trading post anyway...

The first 2 slots of each 'season' of Black Lion Chests are pre-determined, and always the same for that season. You can avoid any surprise by previewing the current Black Lion Chest. Or read the patch notes, or look it up in the Wiki.

@Inculpatus cedo.9234 said:

The first 2 slots of each 'season' of Black Lion Chests are pre-determined, and always the same for that season. You can avoid any surprise by previewing the current Black Lion Chest. Or read the patch notes, or look it up in the Wiki.

There was no surprise - I did look on the wiki... no surprise, just junk.

They drop so commonly i have quite a few in my bank.But much rate i would've loved if they removed all the low tier stuff, like extractors snd metabolism utilities.They're useless. They pile up, and at some point I'll have 250 and have to start throwing them away which i don't like cost they gems.. so they just sit and rot in my bank

@Tukaram.8256 said:

There was no surprise - I did look on the wiki... no surprise, just junk.

Then, why open them? Why not wait and open chests that offer more of what you desire, instead of ones that offer, as you call it, 'junk'?

@Ayakaru.6583 said:They drop so commonly i have quite a few in my bank.But much rate i would've loved if they removed all the low tier stuff, like extractors snd metabolism utilities.They're useless. They pile up, and at some point I'll have 250 and have to start throwing them away which i don't like cost they gems.. so they just sit and rot in my bank

Then use them on a characters utility or food that you play alot of open world content with or wvw for example were you dont switch utility and food alot.

@Tukaram.8256 said:

How are the statuettes useless? I can see the second item, depending on what it is, but usually I like the first two things way better than the last two. Haven't bought this new set yet but the last one, for example, would get me a statuette, a mini, a dye that sells for two copper, and a bag of t5 mats. At least the mini sells for almost a gold and statuettes can be traded in.

Last chest got me the dragon glider for 60 statuettes, but even if you don't want to save them you can trade straight up for an item worth a gold.

@Etria.3642 said:

How are the statuettes useless? I can see the second item, depending on what it is, but usually I like the first two things way better than the last two. Haven't bought this new set yet but the last one, for example, would get me a statuette, a mini, a dye that sells for two copper, and a bag of t5 mats. At least the mini sells for almost a gold and statuettes can be traded in.

Last chest got me the dragon glider for 60 statuettes, but even if you don't want to save them you can trade straight up for an item worth a gold.

Isnt that a pretty significant net gold loss?

@Ashen.2907 said:

Yes. But not useless. If you go into opening chests thinking you're going to make money you are doing it wrong.

@Just a flesh wound.3589 said:I could have sworn that Black Lion Chests with RNG loot and the keys needed to access them have been in the game since launch, or close to it.

I suggest you ignore them. They’re only cosmetic items and odds and ends not needed to play the game.

i think having those make the game interesting and it makes it so u don't have to buy the things in the store

...you couldn't have just typed up one long post? [Edit: Poster above me originally had a series of very short posts all one after the other...they've since been deleted, evidently.]

And if you "suffer" because you can't get shiny pixels and feel inferior to "people with money," then...honestly, that's your problem, not this game's problem. Don't punish the majority's actions because of the vocal minority's feelings.

Hey i keyfarm for the most part. Once in awhile if I'm bored and have enough extra gold I'll buy a set of 25. Otherwise my real money gem purchases for the most part go toward things like bank slots char slots or the occasional mount skin.

I did get the supply drop awhile ago but that was an amazing deal.

@Etria.3642 said:

Yes. But not useless. If you go into opening chests thinking you're going to make money you are doing it wrong.

Im not suggesting that one should expect to make money from BLC, but a net gold return, as you mention, that is less than the cost is, by definition, useless.