Any chance of new maps for EoD?

nerva.7940

After the massive failures of EoTM and DBL, and ANet's lack of iteration on these maps (they tried for a while, then abandoned), I feel they would be too scared to attempt designing a new map. Do you guys think we'll get something new?

Edited by nerva.7940
  • Haha 1

51 minutes ago, Sviel.7493 said:

I don't think they're going to design a new map completely in secret and then drop it on us.  There's no telling if/when we'll get a new map, but I promise you it's not going to be a surprise.

Waits for Anet to replace the Borderlands with Tangled Depths, and EBG with Dragon Stand with ALL of its PvE elements as a final F-U to all of the remaining WvW players in a surprise April Fools day that never reverts

• Haha 2

They are not giving us a new map for the expansion, they probably would have announced beta test times for it if they were, as they already have for the new specs and alliance betas. Would they really go through the same mistake of barely testing and barely tweaking a new map for wvw after the disaster for desert? A map they decided to plug in too many pve features and took away wvw core map designs, and to this day won't even bother to tweak further.

If we ever get new maps, or major tweaks for the old ones (they won't even do a minor tweak for southeast tower exploit these days), it will be after the expansion and alliances are finally implemented, but even then there's so much work to be done in other areas for wvw. Which I highly doubt wvw will remain a "cornerstone" after the expansion launches.

• Thanks 1

making new map for WvW is easy u just take big fat square, place 4 towers 5/6 camps 3 keeps

then u create a little terrain difference in height but not alot like kittening DBL where ur forced to follow 1 road.
or at hills when u run in between (place where no1 comes)..

and off u go everything is done. just need let people have same space and way to use terrain advantage a little not huge mountains that are useless for both sides.

• Thanks 1

15 hours ago, hanabal lecter.2495 said:

Eotm wasn't a failure that map that what it was intended to due and it had a good amount of players on it till anet neglected ot and didn't choose to give it rewards as well.

They didn't neglect it's rewards, it wasn't meant to shower you with more rewards than wvw either, it was a map to play on temporarily until your queue popped.

1 hour ago, Xenesis.6389 said:

They didn't neglect it's rewards, it wasn't meant to shower you with more rewards than wvw either, it was a map to play on temporarily until your queue popped.

I think there should be flagged open world pvp on non WvW maps that can turn into an event that can be tracked like other events in the Achievements tab. There can be hot spots that ping on the maps for people in that matchup if you track them when enough people in that matchup are in the same general location.

I'd take that over Eotm for when there are queues or whatever. The game feels more stale as time goes on with WvW being so detached from the rest of the game. Plus other people would see the action who might not have paid any interest in WvW before if there's some indicator in that spot that explains it being a WvW event. 

Edited by kash.9213

39 minutes ago, kash.9213 said:

I think there should be flagged open world pvp on non WvW maps that can turn into an event that can be tracked like other events in the Achievements tab. There can be hot spots that ping on the maps for people in that matchup if you track them when enough people in that matchup are in the same general location.

I'd take that over Eotm for when there are queues or whatever. The game feels more stale as time goes on with WvW being so detached from the rest of the game. Plus other people would see the action who might not have paid any interest in WvW before if there's some indicator in that spot that explains it being a WvW event. 

Of course the mechanics of that working as far as matchups etc would likely be prohibitive, but I like the overall idea.

But the real problem comes when you try to pitch that anywhere on the PvE side of the house…..  I mean, just the simple phrase ‘open world pvp’ would garner 30 posts about how ‘horrible’ that would be, and ‘if you want PvP go there’ etc etc…. Oh, and there would naturally be that one guy who would say: ‘please use the search function to find similar threads yada yada yada’.

And you are correct..  More people WOULD try it and like it.

37 minutes ago, Strider Pj.2193 said:

Of course the mechanics of that working as far as matchups etc would likely be prohibitive, but I like the overall idea.

But the real problem comes when you try to pitch that anywhere on the PvE side of the house…..  I mean, just the simple phrase ‘open world pvp’ would garner 30 posts about how ‘horrible’ that would be, and ‘if you want PvP go there’ etc etc…. Oh, and there would naturally be that one guy who would say: ‘please use the search function to find similar threads yada yada yada’.

And you are correct..  More people WOULD try it and like it.

Ya, I called it flagged because it would be disruptive otherwise. Like an opt in or opt out option and if you leave it active, it pings the general corner or area of maps where numbers and activity is building for you and flags you for pvp against players of the other two sides and all that. I thought that system worked just fine in Starwars Galaxies. Pve players wouldn't have to be bothered and would only get a quick WvW show like any other event in the open world. 

WvW isn't lived in so when prime time fizzles out those maps and their lanes are pretty much dead and when it's hopping you can miss out on an entire night if you don't get in to a good map. That leaves very little time for more persistent battles apart from SM three ways and it sucks when you miss out on those. 

Edited by kash.9213