Chef

Tdub.7628

Crafting profession Chef  

51 members have voted

1. 1. Should Chef be a baseline crafting profession?

• Yes, everyone can cook all the time
    • System is good as is, with alts, 50s switch, additional licences.

Should Chef be baseline?

I get how other crafting professions have you focus on specific things because...

You may be working a legendary.

Your profession works mostly with weapons,staves, leather, etc.

Some things like sharpening stones, tuning crystals and maintenance oils are crafted within other crafting disciplines. The utilities can be crafted while you are crafting your sword, staff, whatever.

Cooking is on its own.

Edited by tswehr.2143
  • Like 2
  • Confused 5

26 minutes ago, DeanBB.4268 said:

You want everyone to be able to craft ("cook") anything? Why would you expect that?

I feel cooking should fall in as a permeant, always available, crafting discipline. 

Cooking could act in the same way legendary armory acts. All characters can benefit from being able to stop in the cities and stock up on foods. 

Cooking could still follow a 1-500 but that is shared across your account.

This may be a quality of like suggestion in the same way people want infusions shared account wide.

Food is a temporary bonus anyway so it's very likely I'll want to craft it all the time. Unlike weapons/armor.

Edited by tswehr.2143

22 minutes ago, DeanBB.4268 said:

I'm not sure I understand what you are wanting. Anyone can train chef, same as the other crafting disciplines. You want everyone to be able to craft ("cook") anything? Why would you expect that?

You didn't know everyone in the world is a master chef? 🙂

• Haha 4

44 minutes ago, DeanBB.4268 said:

I'm not sure I understand what you are wanting. Anyone can train chef, same as the other crafting disciplines. You want everyone to be able to craft ("cook") anything? Why would you expect that?

Some games have cooking and/or fishing as base skills that every character can do.  For example, in WoW you would have both of those available to every character and then level them up, but also pick two crafting or gathering professions, usually complimentary, i.e., herbing/alchemy, skinning/leatherworking, mining/blacksmithing.  Obviously in GW2, we have base skills that any character doesn't need to train in or even to level up...anyone can gather resources.  

Much as there are times where I dislike having to hop around on characters, it's ultimately no big deal, and the system works fine as is.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, tswehr.2143 said:

I feel cooking should fall in as a permeant, always available, crafting discipline. 

Cooking could act in the same way legendary armory acts. All characters can benefit from being able to stop in the cities and stock up on foods. 

Cooking could still follow a 1-500 but that is shared across your account.

This may be a quality of like suggestion in the same way people want infusions shared account wide.

Food is a temporary bonus anyway so it's very likely I'll want to craft it all the time. Unlike weapons/armor.

Then why don't they make all the crafting disciplines account bound and available to all your characters for no switch cost?

Part of it is immersion, Just because one of your characters can cook, doesn't mean all of them can, and besides, what chefs make isn't some "daily" food, it's "cuisine", it's "art" or whatever, it's supposed to be professional grade. Especially lvl 400+ and 500 is master chef level. So one of your characters masters a craft, and suddenly all your characters are master chefs? Yeah, no...

Other part is - they sell crafting licences in the gem store.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

31 minutes ago, Veprovina.4876 said:

Then why don't they make all the crafting disciplines account bound and available to all your characters for no switch cost?

I wouldn't expect all the crafting disciplines available to all characters. Just cooking would be nice since the buffs are temporary like stones and oils. 

Also, yes, at least the additional license is available.

1 hour ago, Veprovina.4876 said:

Part of it is immersion, Just because one of your characters can cook, doesn't mean all of them can (...)

For the same reason, just because one of your characters can ride a skimmer, doesn't mean all of them can 😉

• Like 2
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1

1 hour ago, Leo.3428 said:

For the same reason, just because one of your characters can ride a skimmer, doesn't mean all of them can 😉

True, but none of the mounts were portrayed as needing any skill to ride them. You don't level up your "ability to stay on a mount", they're already pre-trained to carry people. 

But you need to train and practice your crafting skills so...

I don’t want to see any of the crafting disciplines as baseline.  

Each of them can be used to level a character up, and quite honestly, chef and jeweler are two of the cheapest to level to 400 which allows a player to gain 7-10 levels with it.

Sure experienced players have tomes to use, but beginning players can use it to level up some.  Making it ‘base’ would remove the ability to use that discipline to level.

• Like 3

22 hours ago, Veprovina.4876 said:

True, but none of the mounts were portrayed as needing any skill to ride them. You don't level up your "ability to stay on a mount", they're already pre-trained to carry people. 

But you need to train and practice your crafting skills so...

Right, you don't train yourself to ride but you train the mounts to do acrobatics, canyon jumps and the like. Still, my main character, after gathering all that xp and mastery, keeps whining that it's not fair the younger siblings can do all that right out of level 1, without any proper training; it breaks the immersion and investment. They even use proof of heroics, shame on them!

But my point is that immersion is in the eye of the beholder; I'm not sure this is taken into account when designing what in the game is account bound or character bound.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Leo.3428 said:

Right, you don't train yourself to ride but you train the mounts to do acrobatics, canyon jumps and the like. Still, my main character, after gathering all that xp and mastery, keeps whining that it's not fair the younger siblings can do all that right out of level 1, without any proper training; it breaks the immersion and investment. They even use proof of heroics, shame on them!

But my point is that immersion is in the eye of the beholder; I'm not sure this is taken into account when designing what in the game is account bound or character bound.

True, but what it ultimately boils down to is - they sell crafting licences in the gem shop.

Meaning, gameplay mechanics were designed with this in mind. 

Meaning, 2 professions per character. 😛

Though, to be fair, the entire game is designed to push you to have multiple characters, so this is also one system that does that. Account bound stuff tells you you *can* have this on multiple characters while crafting professions tell you after theese 2, you *must* have others on different characters. That or pay up every time you wanna use one... Or look at our shiny cash show where there's a thing that makes you have more than 2, etc...

It's like that on purpose and Cooking's no different. Immersion or not, it's still a business.

• Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

I'm not opposed to the idea as long as each character can still level up chef so the oppertunity to gain XP that way isn't lost, but I can't say I've ever felt it was necessary. I'm fine with one of my characters crafting food for everyone else to use, the same way they craft equipment and maintenance oil, sharpening stones and other things for each other.

7 hours ago, Veprovina.4876 said:

True, but what it ultimately boils down to is - they sell crafting licences in the gem shop.

Meaning, gameplay mechanics were designed with this in mind. 

Meaning, 2 professions per character. 😛

I'm not sure that's entirely accurate. The restriction to 2 active crafting professions per character has been in the game since launch, but the additional crafting licence wasn't added to the gem store until June 2014, almost 2 years after the game was released. That's a long delay to start turning a profit on something you'd designed to be monetised.

I think it's more likely they wanted characters to have just 2 crafting professions but added the option to switch them without losing progress so you aren't peanalised if you make a mistake or change your mind, and intended players to trade with each other or make multiple characters to get access to other crafted items, then when someone at Anet decided it should be possible to have more than 2 they were told it had to be monetised.

• Like 2

I would prefer an app where you can do crafting outside of the game. That way I can do crafting while waiting for world bosses to spawn because you need to get to the map 15-30 minutes before some world bosses spawn or you end up in an empty map when you come back to that map.

• Like 1
  • Confused 2

2 hours ago, Danikat.8537 said:

I'm not sure that's entirely accurate. The restriction to 2 active crafting professions per character has been in the game since launch, but the additional crafting licence wasn't added to the gem store until June 2014, almost 2 years after the game was released. That's a long delay to start turning a profit on something you'd designed to be monetised.

I think it's more likely they wanted characters to have just 2 crafting professions but added the option to switch them without losing progress so you aren't peanalised if you make a mistake or change your mind, and intended players to trade with each other or make multiple characters to get access to other crafted items, then when someone at Anet decided it should be possible to have more than 2 they were told it had to be monetised.

Well i basically said exactly that later in my post:

10 hours ago, Veprovina.4876 said:

Though, to be fair, the entire game is designed to push you to have multiple characters, so this is also one system that does that. Account bound stuff tells you you *can* have this on multiple characters while crafting professions tell you after theese 2, you *must* have others on different characters. That or pay up every time you wanna use one... Or look at our shiny cash show where there's a thing that makes you have more than 2, etc...

Also, i'm probably just more cynical than you so i might think it's because of the money. 😛

But yes, i also agree that it's because the game encourages multiple characters in its design. 😊

On 10/1/2021 at 10:03 PM, Veprovina.4876 said:

Part of it is immersion [...]

I suspect that a third (and major) part is giving people something to do.

When designing the game, they have to take a good look at all the game systems and decide which ones to make baseline (convenience) and which ones to require participation to progress. On the later they then have to decide whether to make this account-bound (one-time) progression or character bound (potentially open-ended).

GW2 decided on the current crafting disciplines to be character-bound progression systems, while gathering for example is baseline for convenience. Other games draw the line at different activities. There's really no right or wrong on this front, as long as the mix of convenience and progression works for the majority of players.

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, Rasimir.6239 said:

I suspect that a third (and major) part is giving people something to do.

When designing the game, they have to take a good look at all the game systems and decide which ones to make baseline (convenience) and which ones to require participation to progress. On the later they then have to decide whether to make this account-bound (one-time) progression or character bound (potentially open-ended).

GW2 decided on the current crafting disciplines to be character-bound progression systems, while gathering for example is baseline for convenience. Other games draw the line at different activities. There's really no right or wrong on this front, as long as the mix of convenience and progression works for the majority of players.

Ah, haven't thought of that, but indeed, this is an MMO, they needed to figure out something for people to do otherwise they get bored and leave. Seems that crafting professions were decided to be like they are because of that too. 

There's lots of decisions that go into designing any game, especially MMOs, so it was probably all 3, prolonging involvement - across multiple characters - with optional monetisation (that they ended up implementing later).