New maps are beautiful - don't let them being swarmed with enemies everywhere !

I couldn't help but thinking during the past two streams (Echovald and Jade Sea) that the maps were looking beautiful in part because of the lack of annoying enemies being there every two inches.

The vistas are gorgeous, the textures look overall amazing (I'll let people complain about the Jade look in the specific topics related to this) and it's nice to get some time to enjoy such sceneries without having mobs running around.

IMO, GW2 open world would benefit greatly from having less mobs out in the open, or at least more sanctuarized areas where NPCS live their daily life without running into anything. Take for example POF : if you just take a few steps away from Lily of Elon, you run into things immediately (annoying beetles just a couple meters away). Right in the middle of a city. It really brings down the level of immersion. And more importantly, it forces players into engaging combat all the time, while some just want to roam around relaxing while chatting or just admiring the beautiful textures and details the art team has put into the game.

• Like 10
  • Thanks 7
  • Confused 2

Yes! It would have been great for more of the Amnoon part of the map to have fewer ambient hostile critters. Especially since they're allergic to creating new city hubs for us to visit.
Give us some nice wide space, maybe interrupted by events, but otherwise populated with peaceful npcs doing their thing.

• Like 5
  • Confused 1

30 minutes ago, LucianDK.8615 said:

Never understood the absurd claim that pof is overloaded with enemies. Its not, Ive never had a problem there.

To make my point clear, it's not a matter of difficulty- at all.

It's a matter of breaking the peaceful moments the game can provide when you enter beautiful places and you want to start digging into how the world was built, what the devs threw in as for details and such, only to find countless enemies bothering you with annoying skills.

I mean, look at the streams. They told us numerous times "look at the beautiful art on this wall" or "look at the beautiful shaped mosaic". Problem is, in game, if the place is filled with enemies spawning again and again, you won't have time to settle and enjoy the area.

I have the strong feeling GW2 went overboard after the core game on enemy spawning to make the game artificially more difficult. I'd rather have less enemies but more impactful ones (think, Hydras for example) and in places which make sense rather than useless foes which only are there to annoy me over and over while I enjoy taking  a break from combat oriented activities. In PoF it's even to the point that sometimes you just want to listen to what NPCS are saying, only to find yourself in the middle of a fight with a forged patrol or something. That's like throwing the beautiful map design and lore building to the trash bin to me.

MMOs usually provide players with ways to engage social and leisure activities outside of combat, and I feel GW2 should improve in that regard. The new set of maps for EoD could be so great if they're going a bit more in that direction. Yes to challenging content and cool enemies, but not everywhere.

I'm pretty sure everyone has wonderful memories of Shing Jea in GW1 because it wasn't filled with combats at all time and let you catch your breath to enjoy the vistas.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 7
  • Confused 4

3 hours ago, Neva Eilhart.5347 said:

To make my point clear, it's not a matter of difficulty- at all.

It's a matter of breaking the peaceful moments the game can provide when you enter beautiful places and you want to start digging into how the world was built, what the devs threw in as for details and such, only to find countless enemies bothering you with annoying skills.

I mean, look at the streams. They told us numerous times "look at the beautiful art on this wall" or "look at the beautiful shaped mosaic". Problem is, in game, if the place is filled with enemies spawning again and again, you won't have time to settle and enjoy the area.

I have the strong feeling GW2 went overboard after the core game on enemy spawning to make the game artificially more difficult. I'd rather have less enemies but more impactful ones (think, Hydras for example) and in places which make sense rather than useless foes which only are there to annoy me over and over while I enjoy taking  a break from combat oriented activities. In PoF it's even to the point that sometimes you just want to listen to what NPCS are saying, only to find yourself in the middle of a fight with a forged patrol or something. That's like throwing the beautiful map design and lore building to the trash bin to me.

Permastealth thief for looking at the details?

But, yes, there are times where it gets silly. I’ve lost some of the story dialogue where the NPCs are discussing recent story events because an event spawns right on top of us.

Skyscale definitely helps with getting a vantage point to look at environment details.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

Oh my gosh no please, overload it with enemies!!! POF was boring it felt so empty.  Nice visuals are well and good but without any content in it, it’s just a painting.   I’m not buying this expansion to have a 3D painting, I want challenging and frequent fights.

Edited by artcreator.4859
  • Like 3
  • Confused 7

6 hours ago, artcreator.4859 said:

Oh my gosh no please, overload it with enemies!!! POF was boring it felt so empty.  Nice visuals are well and good but without any content in it, it’s just a painting.   I’m not buying this expansion to have a 3D painting, I want challenging and frequent fights.

Ehh most people problem with PoF and following episodes are enemies aggro range, don't increase them again Anet!Let people enjoy the map you just spend time created, not having enemies run far from their spawn point only to become invulnerable and run back kittening MID-FIGHT!!! 

Edited by Ultramex.1506
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 5
  • Confused 1

On 11/21/2021 at 10:16 AM, artcreator.4859 said:

Because you really think there are challenging fights coming from aggroing one annoying beetle or snake while you just stay idle for a few seconds just to enjoy the vista ?

You really think this would qualify as challenging, and would need you to master your class ? 

• Like 2
  • Haha 2
  • Confused 1

Pof enemies are really annoying they go out of their way to chase you but when you fought back they realize they strayed too far then go invuln and went back to their spawn point.

I appreciate the HoT map more, because they don't do that invuln thingy, I never step foot on pof map unless I needed legendary bounty for incense.

Edited by ardhikaizecson.3697
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 1

• 1 month later...