Poll to Beta test including demographic. (multiple choice poll)

A more accurate poll to Beta alliance  

461 members have voted

1. 1. Multiple vote system. Select if it applies to you.

• I was aware that beta was happening
    • I wasn't aware beta was going to happen
    • I'm part of a Guild that participated in an alliance guild(we made a new guild to get the alliance guilds to participate in beta together)
    • I'm part of a guild but we did not have an alliance guild (aka going solo RNG see whats gonna happen)
    • Did not go with a guild (regardless if you're in a guild or not)
    • I understood it was a beta test and had realistic expectations
    • I did not know what to expect
    • I enjoyed the beta it overall
    • Did not enjoy the beta overall
    • Neutral towards the beta
    • Anet should just ditch this
    • I'm keen to see how alliance full release will look like
    • I'm a blob/zerg player
    • I'm a roamer
    • Just here for pips TBH

4 minutes ago, iKeelMellow.8315 said:

realistically its 4-5 questions with true false and it gives info on the type of player that's answering. it's so much more important to know the demographic

Except you don't actually know the demographic. There is an obvious self-identity problem with some of these questions that are going to drastically underestimate your results. Most likely culprits:

I wasn't aware beta was going to happen~ People that do fall in this category are likely not going to report this. It's most likely much higher than the 0.5% reported here.
I'm a blob/zerg player~ People have negative connotations of *blob*, and wont self report themselves. Going to call BS that the #of blobbers are only roughly twice as much as the roamers.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

1 hour ago, jul.7602 said:

Except you don't actually know the demographic. There is an obvious self-identity problem with some of these questions that are going to drastically underestimate your results. Most likely culprits:

I wasn't aware beta was going to happen~ People that do fall in this category are likely not going to report this. It's most likely much higher than the 0.5% reported here.
I'm a blob/zerg player~ People have negative connotations of *blob*, and wont self report themselves. Going to call BS that the #of blobbers are only roughly twice as much as the roamers.

It's at least it is some indication to an extent rather than vague poll. This isn't a competition just trying to get some form of indicative data.

and not to forget a large population of the gamers don't actually visit the forum and hence they miss out on the news.

1 hour ago, jul.7602 said:

You're probably right. Because the majority of people who voted so far probably got the poll from discord sharing and those people usually are updated with a net news. so it would only make sense to wait for a few days and hopefully more people see this especially those who are not in any discord community.

The beta for restructuring or was that alliance as the poll, is saying one thing or is it?

Poorly thought out, managed , delivered!

It does not matter what size of development team you have. 

If it is not enough stop before doing a worse job. 

Issues like the following should not be on a release of even a beta:

1) Signing up to an alliance in your guild then have it show up as you are in the same area only to be able to log in and it show s you are in random servers with none of your guilds when they are mostly together. 

2) When days later you finally after getting pushed too many servers with guilds that did not want to communicate with others in English. Proved the problems!

3) Maps that show a completely different server from any of the 3 in play, having taken camps towers or keeps. Or Maps that could not workout which colour the team that took it or the world or side it was meant to be on was just one thing a disgrace. also time delay in the updating of the change in ownership was a joke at 5-14 mins in some instances.

I mean if you are blue the captured item should be blue! 

if your server is Piken or Stonefall or Reapers Door it should be that name under the captured item if you have taken it. 

These points are raised as these are mainly core WVW and really did not need to be modified that much. 

I only play GW 1 & 2 and have done so for a long time as it was always a company with it eye on the ball. 

So, what changed yes we know we are in a situation at the moment but most of us still have to work and get on with things. 

You really need to focus more on delivering us a more complete or at least if beta fixed in the basic game play of the game. 

As the lack of attention to the basics has left a sour taste for the second time, in so many from the in game messages and the forum response. 

From my view the way you have tried to implement restructuring is a fail and if this was meant to be alliance beta it was a total fail. 

Leave guilds to be together the way they are, may be put 20 average guilds of 10 player on the same server. may be even create a wait time for groups or even better a damage modifier to smaller guilds on servers. and the alliances just allow them to allocate points to a league for guild size. Also for roamers give them a league to work towards something constructive. 

Or are we going to be forced to be in alliances like you seem to have planed or we will all just go in a group as solos and try to get around any setting you give us or force us to use. 

if you are going to do an alliance thing do something like factions that your guild lends a shoulder towards. Luxon or Kurzick. Do not try to reinvent the wheel!

Remember the Title of the GAME -- GUILD WARS 

Edited by Hell and Back.5170
correction
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 3

3 hours ago, Hell and Back.5170 said:

Remember the Title of the GAME -- GUILD WARS 

//sarcasm
Remember the real reason why the game is called "Guild Wars (2)". Hint: it´s not actually guilds organized by players or anything player-organized Guilds do. 
https://wiki.guildwars.com/wiki/The_Guild_Wars

//sarcasm off

Also, don´t forget that this phase is still early beta. If you don´t exactly remember what "beta" means, here´s a little reminder from wikipedia: 

Beta, named after the second letter of the Greek alphabet, is the software development phase following alpha. Software in the beta stage is also known as betaware.[12] A beta phase generally begins when the software is feature complete but likely to contain a number of known or unknown bugs.[13] Software in the beta phase will generally have many more bugs in it than completed software and speed or performance issues, and may still cause crashes or data loss. The focus of beta testing is reducing impacts to users, often incorporating usability testing. The process of delivering a beta version to the users is called beta release and is typically the first time that the software is available outside of the organization that developed it. Software beta releases can be either public or private, depending on whether they are openly available or only available to a limited audience. Beta version software is often useful for demonstrations and previews within an organization and to prospective customers. Some developers refer to this stage as a preview, preview release, prototype, technical preview or technology preview (TP),[14] or early access.

also (because this pops up in every single thread): 
we were NOT testing alliances. alliances will be a seperate feature based on "World Restructuring". 
The test only contained the basic algorithm, that sorts players into teams based on their chosen guild and some other factors. Alliance functionality hasn´t even been implemented yet

Edited by Custodio.6134
  • Like 3
  • Confused 2

3 hours ago, GoldenPants.1870 said:

Didn't like it. At all.

Good thing it was just a work-in-progress Beta now, wasn't it?

Seriously, how more do we have to explain this? This isn't the final product. Not even close. This was a TEST to see if people could choose a guild and they be matched along side the guild members who also chose the same thing.

People in these kitten forums are constantly whining thinking it's the final product, and my god... go back to school and learn what Beta (this really wasn't even that, I'd call it Pre-alpha) is in a game.

Edited by Bristingr.5034
Apparently the female dog word isn't censored...
  • Thanks 2
  • Confused 1

There were some things that applied to my style of gameplay that weren't part of the poll.  Let me add:

1. Our guild group of 8 - 12 had a lot of fun during these trips.  We saw some lag.  We got some great fights.  The technical hiccups we experienced weren't fun-killing in the least.  We joined other guilds that we had PvP'd with on TC to form an alliance.  We were surprised by how many people were not objective-oriented. 

1 hour ago, GoldenPants.1870 said:

So.... ? It doesnt change the experience I got. I am not even a little bit impressed with alliances.

This was not a test of Alliances, it was a test of World Restructuring.

To quote the GW2 news release from September 2021:

World Restructuring: Phase One

Phase one of World Restructuring includes a substantial backend overhaul of how World vs World works, but most of this is invisible to the player. On the player-facing side of things, it will feature matchmaking support for unguilded players and guilds. Alliance functionality will come in phase two. The goal for this first phase is to ensure that the system works at scale. We’ll be keeping a close eye on player population balance, queue times, and victory point disparity.

I'm going to link to my post in the other poll thread for anyone who wants to go back in time and get a better understanding of what World Restructuring & Alliances are intended to be, how they came about, and how they're expected to work when eventually (finally!) implemented. It has been seven years in the making, and many players have come and gone in the interim, so hopefully those who have come and stuck around can gain something from conversations and dev posts that came before them.

Edited by obastable.5231
formatting
  • Like 1
  • Confused 1

2 hours ago, Custodio.6134 said:

//sarcasm
Remember the real reason why the game is called "Guild Wars (2)". Hint: it´s not actually guilds organized by players or anything player-organized Guilds do. 
https://wiki.guildwars.com/wiki/The_Guild_Wars

//sarcasm off

Also, don´t forget that this phase is still early beta. If you don´t exactly remember what "beta" means, here´s a little reminder from wikipedia: 

Beta, named after the second letter of the Greek alphabet, is the software development phase following alpha. Software in the beta stage is also known as betaware.[12] A beta phase generally begins when the software is feature complete but likely to contain a number of known or unknown bugs.[13] Software in the beta phase will generally have many more bugs in it than completed software and speed or performance issues, and may still cause crashes or data loss. The focus of beta testing is reducing impacts to users, often incorporating usability testing. The process of delivering a beta version to the users is called beta release and is typically the first time that the software is available outside of the organization that developed it. Software beta releases can be either public or private, depending on whether they are openly available or only available to a limited audience. Beta version software is often useful for demonstrations and previews within an organization and to prospective customers. Some developers refer to this stage as a preview, preview release, prototype, technical preview or technology preview (TP),[14] or early access.

also (because this pops up in every single thread): 
we were NOT testing alliances. alliances will be a seperate feature based on "World Restructuring". 
The test only contained the basic algorithm, that sorts players into teams based on their chosen guild and some other factors. Alliance functionality hasn´t even been implemented yet

So basically this wasn't a Beta test at all but an early Alpha test.

Edited by Nidome.1365
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

basically, was a unexpected success imo. it worked overall as in what was announced.

at least the matchup Skrittburgh - Silent Woods - Phoenix Dawn was working out pretty well. the servers been overall mixed up quite well, very positive environment.

the only people who been confused are those who are confused always anyways. think some misunderstood the beta for more than it realistically could be. it is what it should be, a first step away from the problematic linking system.

• Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

3 hours ago, Nidome.1365 said:

So basically this wasn't a Beta test at all but an early Alpha test.

Honestly, why on Earth would you think this? It was absolutely a beta test, and a successful one at that. It wasn't flawless, there are issues for them to address, but in case you didn't notice it DID work. 

• Confused 2

2 hours ago, obastable.5231 said:

Honestly, why on Earth would you think this? It was absolutely a beta test, and a successful one at that. It wasn't flawless, there are issues for them to address, but in case you didn't notice it DID work. 

Depends on what people think they are testing. Technically it is alpha by definition, if you look at the final product - features arent implemented. Entire parts of the code isnt there, very critical code at that. You cant just fix the bugs and call it the alliance matchup system.

• Confused 1

My problem with this beta was, that it worked, and I DID NOT LIKE the result. It was worse than without alliance.

It worked and it was what I feared, time zone problem were not fixed. in fact it gotten worse. Not only that, the new system assume the type of players that suited me,  and there lies the flaw, same type of players group together aren't going to make the team fun /playable, because if everyone is a scout .... on same team. ... need I say more. 

Your poll didn't have that. 

Edited by SweetPotato.7456
  • Like 1