WvW Small Party Setup

Despair.1675

Hello guys! im looking for advice. I Roam with my fam and  we usually just focus on dailies and or guild missions so we have several skirmishs with other wvw players thats unavoidable and most of the times fun. I want to become SUPPORT for the rest of my small team, something that can heal but can also be usefull on fights, cant decide on witch class/build to take so give me advice! 

My current team is 

Celestial Reaper 
Celestial Core Guardian 
Celestial Renegade <-me 

so what class can i switch to ? and if posible what build can help on small teams not looking for a full zerg support build as we are usually just the 3 of us. 

• Like 1

If we are talking just 3 people then the answer on whats "useful" isnt really as simple as pointing to a class and build. Literally all of them work if you're good. 

Anyway, since none of that have stealth that would be my first line of thinking - a scrapper, mesmer or thief so you can gain surprise attacks or breathers. The scrapper will be the strongest support if the group knows to stack and run melee.

• Thanks 1

15 hours ago, Dawdler.8521 said:

If we are talking just 3 people then the answer on whats "useful" isnt really as simple as pointing to a class and build. Literally all of them work if you're good. 

Anyway, since none of that have stealth that would be my first line of thinking - a scrapper, mesmer or thief so you can gain surprise attacks or breathers. The scrapper will be the strongest support if the group knows to stack and run melee.

Thief is out of the question as its mostly useless as support other than give stealth, i did tried scrapper (explosive hammer with granades) but as a group we lost the ability to range and persuit 

17 minutes ago, Darkgokkuma.4153 said:

Thief is out of the question as its mostly useless as support other than give stealth, i did tried scrapper (explosive hammer with granades) but as a group we lost the ability to range and persuit 

Useless? Except being the best for reaching an enemy, something you say you lost. Thats the point of having classes, no one is perfect. I've seen plenty of small groups win just because they have a very good +1. Sometimes the best support you can give is just killing the enemy.

You shouldnt look at support for being just a healing/condi cleanse playstyle. Like for e.g a DE spamming immob on a person safely from 1500 range away while your people are close on them is also a way of support since youre constantly locking people down for your fam to burst them down. Besides thief has a good amount of boon shares too. And like the person above me said,you named your issue is people getting away,thief is great in closing the gap and getting that enemy. But thief has a high skillfloor,and it might take a while to learn it properly. If you want to play full support then i guess scrapper/fb or smthing.

Edited by Caedmon.6798

After EOD I expect specter to be far better as a focused support.
You have rev and guard already so ultimately support spellbreaker would be a decent option since you would be low on boon rip due to running reaper.
If you just want to gank people then have a power shatter mesmer (which has boon rip), scrapper or holo as stealth is AoE already from those sources. Thief probably won't work as well currently in random teamfighting unless you build in some blasts for smoke fields from pistol , but meta with shadow arts does have minimal boon rip from rending shade. If you run pistol whip thief with sword/pistol or sword/dagger you won't have easy party stealth.

31 minutes ago, Infusion.7149 said:

After EOD I expect specter to be far better as a focused support.
You have rev and guard already so ultimately support spellbreaker would be a decent option since you would be low on boon rip due to running reaper.
If you just want to gank people then have a power shatter mesmer (which has boon rip), scrapper or holo as stealth is AoE already from those sources. Thief probably won't work as well currently in random teamfighting unless you build in some blasts for smoke fields from pistol , but meta with shadow arts does have minimal boon rip from rending shade. If you run pistol whip thief with sword/pistol or sword/dagger you won't have easy party stealth.

Thats why i suggested DE. Its by far the safest thief spec to learn and play if you do it well,it has a good amount of boonrips and shares ( Add absorb sigil ), and the immob spamm can be incredibly helpfull aswell.

Specter would be amazing yes,i loved the playstyle of it aswell and the support is insane.I even felt much tankier as my warri. Def gonna be my main on release.

Edited by Caedmon.6798

21 hours ago, Darkgokkuma.4153 said:

Hello guys! im looking for advice. I Roam with my fam and  we usually just focus on dailies and or guild missions so we have several skirmishs with other wvw players thats unavoidable and most of the times fun. I want to become SUPPORT for the rest of my small team, something that can heal but can also be usefull on fights, cant decide on witch class/build to take so give me advice! 

My current team is 

Celestial Reaper 
Celestial Core Guardian 
Celestial Renegade <-me 

so what class can i switch to ? and if posible what build can help on small teams not looking for a full zerg support build as we are usually just the 3 of us. 

If your current team is 3 people, and those 3 people play Cele Reaper, Cele Core Guard, and Cele Renegade, the only thing you should change is Core Guard --> Firebrand. 

People are saying "Swap to scrapper for support/stealth", but in reality, swapping to Scrapper should be a decision you make after roaming with your current comp for a while. 

Your current 3 roles play significant roles in teamfighting, and swapping one of those characters for Scrapper changes the dynamic of what you can and can't do based on class specialization. 

The only thing I'd recommend is finding 2 more players to round your party to 5 and build teamcomps from there. 

Considering only 3, for a while for fun my havoc ran a group of Ranger Soulbeasts. If you trait for the boonshare and run stances that's a lot of stackable group support. Equip the Rune of the Pack that also stacks and you end up with both a long range group that can also hit hard in melee range and you have quite a bit of mobility. Make sure one player is your designated marker, mark your targets and have all focus fire, targets drop. Rangers may not be welcome in zergs but they work well in havocs.