Healing and support skills

Sansar.1302

11 minutes ago, Linken.6345 said:

You do know that healing turret have been in since release and is an aoe heal right?

And core guardian with virtues, staff, bow of truth.

And ranger with healing spring and water spirit.

And elementalist with soothing mist and other water traits.

And warrior with heal on shouts.

I'll stop because there's probably been something for most classes to heal allies since the start of the game.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

They pretty much scrapped their old ideals and implemented a Trinity system at this point. Isn't as clear-cut as the original "Holy Trinity" in other MMOs but still a Trinity system of required build types. DPS/Healer/Alac  + Tank in certain cases. (Necro can be everything at once though aside from Alac, thus everyone plays it) .

They'll probably never go back to the old ways so I kinda wish they'd just fully give up completely and make an official trinity system just so we can get a polished structure for a queue system for everything instead of the messy LFG that rapid kicks non-metas and specific classes, and requires leaders to write massive lines of codes to describe who should join.... Oh and a huge absolutly massive UI update.

GW2 has strayed very far from it's original goals~ either go balls deep or really rethink these directions they been taking. Specter, especially, is really crossing that line hard in a game that is not ready for it.

Edited by Doggie.3184
  • Like 1
  • Confused 12
  • Sad 1

9 minutes ago, Doggie.3184 said:

They pretty much scrapped their old ideals and implemented a Trinity system at this point. Isn't as clear-cut as the original "Holy Trinity" in other MMOs but still a Trinity system of required build types. DPS/Healer/Alac  + Tank in certain cases. (Necro can be everything at once though aside from Alac, thus everyone plays it) .

They'll probably never go back to the old ways so I kinda wish they'd just fully give up completely and make an official trinity system just so we can get a polished structure for a queue system for everything instead of the messy LFG that rapid kicks non-metas and specific classes, and requires leaders to write massive lines of codes to describe who should join.... Oh and a huge absolutly massive UI update.

GW2 has strayed very far from it's original goals~ either go balls deep or really rethink these directions they been taking. Specter, especially, is really crossing that line hard in a game that is not ready for it.

Trinity system won't work if you can freely select stats you want, plus you have that epic boons all the time

5 minutes ago, lblazer.5381 said:

Trinity system won't work if you can freely select stats you want, plus you have that epic boons all the time

Yeah which is why they'd have to really go balls deep into making it work instead of relying on this weird jury rigged trinity mess they got going on ever since they decided to add raids. It's so annoying trying to organize a run, locating very specific types of characters, that I never feel like bothering with them at all. Meanwhile in FFXIV and probably most other MMOs I just hop in and have fun. 

It worked before when dungeons were just simple full groups of self reliant DPS but it keeps straying further and further from that cuz Anet gives up more and more on the thought that an MMO without a trinity can exist.

Edited by Doggie.3184
  • Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

Everyone who says "it's designed from the start" needs to rethink what the meta was pre-hot. There were no water spirit rangers or venom heal thieves (people used to kick these classes on sight), it was always dps and dps support (usually Fire ele + Warrior mightstacking bannerslave).

The closest you got to support was bannerslave, thief/mesmer dungeon skips, or equipping a staff on guardian for swiftness.

• Confused 6

1 hour ago, Westenev.5289 said:

Everyone who says "it's designed from the start" needs to rethink what the meta was pre-hot.

GW2 was not designed to fit a particular meta.  Saying that things were designed from the start means that every profession was designed with heal skills so as not have a dependency on a particular profession for healing (no trinity). 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1

1 hour ago, kharmin.7683 said:

GW2 was not designed to fit a particular meta.  Saying that things were designed from the start means that every profession was designed with heal skills so as not have a dependency on a particular profession for healing (no trinity). 

And in the absence of a trinity, what we got was dps, dps support and a whole lot of class discrimination. Remember when people laughed at you for playing necromancer, ranger or thief and told you to pick a real class? When you had to play a kitten keyboard to get a engi to deal the same damage as a staff ele camping fire? When you were (and still are) pushed into running bannerslave anytime you play warrior in instanced content?

In the absence of a trinity, we only had one metric to determine a classes usefulness (dps), and some classes were vastly better at achieving that goal. How is that anything other than intended game design?

Edited by Westenev.5289
  • Confused 5

2 hours ago, Westenev.5289 said:

And in the absence of a trinity, what we got was dps, dps support and a whole lot of class discrimination. Remember when people laughed at you for playing necromancer, ranger or thief and told you to pick a real class? When you had to play a kitten keyboard to get a engi to deal the same damage as a staff ele camping fire? When you were (and still are) pushed into running bannerslave anytime you play warrior in instanced content?

In the absence of a trinity, we only had one metric to determine a classes usefulness (dps), and some classes were vastly better at achieving that goal. How is that anything other than intended game design?

You're missing the point of the post, which was asking for healing skills and support (I assume they mean boons) to be personal like when the game first came out.

But that has never been the case. In 5 man content there was never a huge need for a trinity, dungeons and lower tier fractals for example (which they were at the time) - it was easier to just kill things before they killed you, you certainly never needed a tank anywhere in the game. Post HoT with Raids, and then to a lesser extent strikes, suddenly you *did* need a tank and healers, and the elite specs have basically given us that. Didn't take away class discrimination though.

• Like 3
  • Confused 1

13 hours ago, Doggie.3184 said:

Yeah which is why they'd have to really go balls deep into making it work instead of relying on this weird jury rigged trinity mess they got going on ever since they decided to add raids. It's so annoying trying to organize a run, locating very specific types of characters, that I never feel like bothering with them at all. Meanwhile in FFXIV and probably most other MMOs I just hop in and have fun. 

It worked before when dungeons were just simple full groups of self reliant DPS but it keeps straying further and further from that cuz Anet gives up more and more on the thought that an MMO without a trinity can exist.

Sorry but if you like FFXIV, play FFXIV. A lot of us do not like having ZERO choice when it comes to how we play. If you want everything homogenized to 3 roles where there are no builds, only ilvl matters, and everyone doing the exact same rotation, then there are games for that.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 2
  • Confused 2

4 hours ago, Einsof.1457 said:

Sorry but if you like FFXIV, play FFXIV. A lot of us do not like having ZERO choice when it comes to how we play. If you want everything homogenized to 3 roles where there are no builds, only ilvl matters, and everyone doing the exact same rotation, then there are games for that.

Wishing for better structure and LFG should be something everyone seeks otherwise you're not going to play without waiting forever and kicking 50 people a second. Which was my first impression of Strike Missions, not 'too' much different from raids, when I finally tried them. (long after their release since I slept on it a long time) I stood there in Eye of North for over an hour watching the PT leader nonstop kick people and copy paste LFG code like he was scripting kitten the whole time till he had the group he wanted. The only reason I wasn't kicked was cuz he never heard of or seen a Thief player doing them before and didn't know how to judge it. 

I know Anet's trying to make Thief more desireable in their makeshift Holy Trinity with Specter but I wish they didn't choose us for the single target experiment that doesn't really make sense in PvE/Zerg VS Zerg. This game does 'in absolute fact' have a trinity system already. It's just very messy with an unfun LFG system.

Also, you barely have a choice in end-game, people want you in a meta build.

• Confused 2
  • Sad 1

19 hours ago, Doggie.3184 said:

I kinda wish they'd just fully give up completely and make an official trinity system just so we can get a polished structure for a queue system for everything instead of the messy LFG that rapid kicks non-metas and specific classes, and requires leaders to write massive lines of codes to describe who should join.... 

Now that we've established why you're dissatisfied with the system, let's consider that the instanced content to which you're alluding to is just a part of the pve section of the game.  Speaking of raids since I haven't been in fractals for a while, the general structure of most groups tends to be similar. 2 played to cover heals, 2(maybe the same 2) to cover quickness, 1 or 2 for alac, and the rest DPS assuming somebody generates the might/fury. Tanks situational. This has been determined to be generally the most efficient way of maintaining good boons and therefore maximizing the chance of success. But you knew all that.

The point is, that even though the loose roles are required, the options to fill those aren't limited to 1 build/class, especially when it comes to healing. GW2 still has a more fluid structure where you can have different combinations to fill up a group.

I'm sorry that you've had a bad time with pugging or not being accepted into groups but you can understand that helping your party in an optimal way is preferred when that's what the majority of the community are doing.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Doggie.3184 said:

Wishing for better structure and LFG should be something everyone seeks otherwise you're not going to play without waiting forever and kicking 50 people a second. Which was my first impression of Strike Missions, not 'too' much different from raids, when I finally tried them. (long after their release since I slept on it a long time) I stood there in Eye of North for over an hour watching the PT leader nonstop kick people and copy paste LFG code like he was scripting kitten the whole time till he had the group he wanted. The only reason I wasn't kicked was cuz he never heard of or seen a Thief player doing them before and didn't know how to judge it. 

I know Anet's trying to make Thief more desireable in their makeshift Holy Trinity with Specter but I wish they didn't choose us for the single target experiment that doesn't really make sense in PvE/Zerg VS Zerg. This game does 'in absolute fact' have a trinity system already. It's just very messy with an unfun LFG system.

Also, you barely have a choice in end-game, people want you in a meta build.

What's stopping you from starting a non-meta raid static group or side-guild? The LFG system is the way it is for a reason. I do NOT want to sit around in a queue system ever again. 

• Like 3