Ruining your expac

7 minutes ago, Erise.5614 said:

Because we were excited and took holidays in order to fully dive in and immerse ourselves in the new content. 

Also, variety and difficulty are two different things. 

Encountering problems at mmorpg game/expansion releases are a rather common -or even expected- thing, so taking days off from work on the first week seems like bad planning to me. You're obviously allowed to do what you want, but that's not something I'd personally go for (and I didn't). Either way, doing that so you can rush content still doesn't struck me as something that "casual" players generally do -that really seems to be on the more hardcore side for me?

Edited by Sobx.1758
  • Like 2
  • Confused 3

10 minutes ago, Sobx.1758 said:

Encountering problems at mmorpg game/expansion releases are a rather common -or even expected- thing, so taking days off from work on the first week seems like bad planning to me. You're obviously allowed to do what you want, but that's not something I'd personally go for (and I didn't). Either way, doing that so you can rush content still doesn't struck me as something that "casual" players generally do -that really seems to be on the more hardcore side for me?

Yeah. Thanks for the info. I noticed.

And maybe? I mean I collected almost a months worth in overtime throughout last year in home office that I have to take by summer. On top of almost two months worth of regular holiday I am encouraged to take this year. Might as well spend it on something like this when the opportunity arises. Considering I enjoyed HoT and PoF upon release, though playing through it way slower. Issues too, sure. But the stuff I liked was generally fine upon release. 

I mean. Like any games I expected some hickups. A bug here or there. A crash or two even. But not for some of the core content, headline advertisement to be locked behind a meta that's expected to mostly fail for weeks. That's a first for GW2 as far as I remember. So not sure how I should have expected that. 

Edited by Erise.5614
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

33 minutes ago, Erise.5614 said:

Yeah. Thanks for the info. I noticed.

And maybe? I mean I collected almost a months worth in overtime throughout last year in home office that I have to take by summer. On top of almost two months worth of regular holiday I am encouraged to take this year. Might as well spend it on something like this when the opportunity arises. Considering I enjoyed HoT and PoF upon release, though playing through it way slower. Issues too, sure. But the stuff I liked was generally fine upon release. 

I mean. Like any games I expected some hickups. A bug here or there. A crash or two even. But not for some of the core content, headline advertisement to be locked behind a meta that's expected to mostly fail for weeks. That's a first for GW2 as far as I remember. So not sure how I should have expected that. 

No problem. After the first sentence I though maybe you're new to mmorpgs, but you've also played hot and pof on release and I'm sure at least pof had that whole "failed to create instance" error-spree on release that didn't let people go into new map or at least continue the story.

Again, you're free to do with your overtime whatever you want, but regardless of how much overtime you have and where it came from, rushing the content within first few days from the release(while there's nothing inherently wrong with it imo, don't get me wrong) still doesn't seem "casual" to me. Using "casual" as some cop-out excuse(?) for "I don't want to do it" or "I don't want to learn content to complete it" seems to be overused on this forum. If you don't want to then don't, w/e. If you take free time to rush expansion content in a week, then you do you, but maybe don't pretend that's in any way casual, because it isn't -and that's the thing I'm pointing out here, not really trying to tell you when to get the free time.

Another thing is about that "headline advertisement", which I've already seen mentioned, but maybe in another thread. The turtle is still a part of the expansion, it's not some sort of "you buy the expansion, you just get the turtle no matter what!" deal. Still all you can do is have some patience, which should be all the easier in case of actual casual players, since they move through the content much slower anyways.

Edited by Sobx.1758
  • Like 2
  • Confused 5

On 3/4/2022 at 10:08 PM, moonboi.1764 said:

It’s not just an event. It’s a major selling point, the turtle. You push your game for new players and say, come get your turtle and then slap the average player with….sorry, no turtle for you. Got ya. That’s the problem. 

We WvW or PvP players can't even use the turtle (in our game modes), so no - that was not the major selling point for us.

Edited by Bristingr.5034
  • Like 2
  • Confused 4

20 minutes ago, Sobx.1758 said:

[...] doesn't seem "casual" to me. Using "casual" as some cop-out excuse(?) for "I don't want to do it" or "I don't want to learn content to complete it" seems to be overused on this forum. If you don't want to then don't, w/e. 

Another thing is about that "headline advertisement", which I've already seen mentioned, probably in another thread. The turtle is still a part of the expansion, it's not some sort of "you buy the expansion, you just get the turtle no matter what!" deal.

I mean. That is fair. You may count me to more hardcore players then. I even did complete my first raid wing like two months ago. So it may not be that far off actually. But that makes the phrasing as "don't want to learn" is just hilarious. 

Considering I did take holiday. I had plenty of time to run DE. Over a dozen times. There is nothing to learn for me anymore. Between having an optimized wisp route, maximizing my DPS as condi by updraft gliding in between my application for cheeky glider damage to rotation quickly even including chat macros calling it out. No. I don't think there is anything left for me to learn. Not as individual player. There hasn't been in plenty of attempts. I can do a lot of what's asked, I just don't enjoy being a tryhard all the time. And this release is expecting much more than just trying hard a few times of me.

And again, it wouldn't be a big deal. Metas have always had a bad time the first month or two. But they've never been as expected, as mandatory to progress with the core content. HoT had a rune, new stat combos and legendries locked behind them for the most part. Just as example. That's totally fine. You can give it a try, check it out and then lay off of it because no way are you gonna grind up your legendary short term anyway.

But I do believe that's pretty much what most people expected. To get the turtle in similar ways as all previous mounts and everything related to gliding. By playing story mode level content. Or maybe farm some map currency, or gathering a bunch of stuff, paying some gold and the other usual shenanigans. It was explicitly announced as easier to get than both griffon and skyscale. So yeah. I didn't expect this. 

Edited by Erise.5614
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 2
  • Confused 2

6 hours ago, elrin.4750 said:

Unfortunately, Anet does not care much if people complain or leave. See, as long as some people enjoy whatever it is they are putting out, then that's what matters. The casuals are probably a major annoyance to them. I mean the toxic players love the meta, so Anet (in their point of view) did it correctly. It's the casuals who are wrong  and Anet would probably be happy if they all go away 😄

You should put a /s after this, because there are people who won't see it for what it is. I know, I know, but it's true.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

1 minute ago, Inculpatus cedo.9234 said:

Hmm...I thought the forum thought, before launch, that Siege Turtles were not much of a feature in the expansion.  That they would rarely be used, were not for solo players, were a flash in the pan, etc., etc.

Now they are the cause of so much angst?  And the main reason for laments about the Dragon's End meta?  :classic_dry:

Pretty sure the people saying it was an irrelevant feature are the people currently saying they don't care about it my friend ; ) 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 3

3 minutes ago, Inculpatus cedo.9234 said:

Hmm...I thought the forum thought, before launch, that Siege Turtles were not much of a feature in the expansion.  That they would rarely be used, were not for solo players, were a flash in the pan, etc., etc.

Now they are the cause of so much angst?  And the main reason for laments about the Dragon's End meta?  :classic_dry:

Different folks.

The people who thought they were ridiculous were ranting before launch. People who were like, "hey, that'll be fun" didn't have a reason to rant.

Now, the former have no reason to rant, but the latter do.

It's not like the forum is some sort of homogenous hive-mind.

Edited by Gibson.4036
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 2

25 minutes ago, Erise.5614 said:

I mean. That is fair. You may count me to more hardcore players then. I even did complete my first raid wing like two months ago. So it may not be that far off actually. But that makes the phrasing as "don't want to learn" is just hilarious. 

Considering I did take holiday. I had plenty of time to run DE. Over a dozen times. There is nothing to learn for me anymore. Between having an optimized wisp route, maximizing my DPS as condi by updraft gliding in between my application for cheeky glider damage to rotation quickly even including chat macros calling it out. No. I don't think there is anything left for me to learn. Not as individual player. There hasn't been in plenty of attempts. I can do a lot of what's asked, I just don't enjoy being a tryhard all the time. And this release is expecting much more than just trying hard a few times of me.

And again, it wouldn't be a big deal. Metas have always had a bad time the first month or two. But they've never been as expected, as mandatory to progress with the core content. HoT had a rune, new stat combos and legendries locked behind them for the most part. Just as example. That's totally fine. You can give it a try, check it out and then lay off of it because no way are you gonna grind up your legendary short term anyway.

But I do believe that's pretty much what most people expected. To get the turtle in similar ways as all previous mounts and everything related to gliding. By playing story mode level content. Or maybe farm some map currency, or gathering a bunch of stuff, paying some gold and the other usual shenanigans. It was explicitly announced as easier to get than both griffon and skyscale. So yeah. I didn't expect this. 

All understandable, but remind yourself what this comment chain was about: you've responded to me writing about players "trying to rush content in 5 days, while proclaiming they're casual" with "because we took holidays". But "we" aren't casaual, rushing content isn't casual. You're free to dislike the state of the meta and there's no much to argue here -I didn't even write anything about that meta not needing any adjustments, pretty sure all I write about it is: give it time, let people learn, let anet gather some data and then push out adjustments if really needed. Repeating "it's for casuals! And I'm casual despite trying to finish expansion's content within a week!" like some people do on this forum seems misguided and pointless.

I'm also wondering what you consider as "core content". Does it lock any other part of the expansion from you when you don't have the turtle? Pretty sure it doesn't? So why is it considered "core" or something that should be easly unlocked?

"all previous mounts" -or at least half of them, which where the initial 4- were pretty much an auto-unlock from what I remember. At no point I've expected any other mount to be like that and tbh, if that was the way we would unlock the turtle, I'd be disappointed.

Edited by Sobx.1758
  • Like 2
  • Confused 5

4 hours ago, Cuks.8241 said:

I think most of the players, the casual players are not even at the meta. It's been one weekend since the release. And they definitely haven't spent hours doing the meta. 

Yup, that's the point that some people apparently are still majorly "confused" about 🤷‍♂️

@Salt Mode.3780I don't know what thief thread you're talking about, let alone what I should be somehow "mad about". You still didn't respond to anything I said. Again, if you're just interested in making some cheap personal jabs instead of responding to my posts, then stop quoting me. Otherwise, start responding to the contents of the posts you're talking about.

Edited by Sobx.1758
typo
  • Like 2
  • Confused 4

Personally I'm (more casual now and) nowhere near the meta yet.  I'm more interested in trying new specs, which will keep me busy for a good while.  I still enjoy a variety of the legacy world bosses and haven't even done the whole Drizzlewood meta yet.  And I've been playing for a couple years before a break.   Got frustrated by the skyscale quests and have recommitted to my griffon, so I'm feeling "whatever" turtle or no turtle after all that. 

There's more than enough to do if you really like a few things, and hopefully the expac will draw in more players to reinvigorate community around some old ones too.  Hope they fix your meta one of these days though.

Edited by XiraMint.3162
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, Inculpatus cedo.9234 said:

Because everyone on the forum are drones to a Borg style Hivemind.....

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 3

On 3/7/2022 at 1:39 PM, Caitybee.3614 said:

I got it for the story, but everything else was a bonus and I do really want the turtle eventually to complete the mount collection and use any skins they make.

I might be the only person playing that couldnt care less about the turtle!  I love the game, the story, the WvW....this will be an unpopular opinion Im sure, but I actually think the turtle mount is pretty ugly 🙂

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

I play WoW, ff14, and gw2. I quit wow over shadowlands. I hate how ff14 is so silent and lifeless in most of the story ff14 also lacks in its pvp.  I love the art, animation, voice acting, wvw and most of story in gw2.  This expansion feels off to me. PoF I enjoyed alot more and it felt more epic. This expansion feels small in comparison. It might be because I got stuck at the meta event and haven't completed the story.  I don't want to continue the next story mission because I have an achievement telling me to so the zone event first. After the 4th organized group failure I lost my will to even bother it. I lost all motivation to even log in. I have about 6000 hrs into this game and this expansion made me for first time feel like calling it quits.  Maybe I will go play more ff14 in silence and it will make me miss this awesome voice game. 

• Like 1