If you beat the Dragon's End meta for the Turtle mount - your headache isn't over just yet.

5 minutes ago, Grunim.9034 said:

Thanks for the tip about isolating myself if I have a number.  That will appear as an icon above my character's head?

You have a I, II or III that can appear during the main boss fight. These 3 players need to isolate themselves because he basically attacks 3 times. "I" gets attacked first, "II" second etc.

If you're all stacked, you get all 3 attacked and then you get downed.

Players that do not get the number simply stay behind the boss, there's an arrow that indicates the direction he's looking at.
Again, even if you fail this mechanic, it usually ends up being a few down that people rez immediately anyway. There's a bit more to this fight, but it remains largely forgiving, even if a bit intimidating at first.

Again I can't stress that enough. There's no timer, take all the time you need and all the sustain you need, this is actually a pretty good step up to learn mechanics without feeling rushed by time.

Edited by Deihnyx.6318
  • Like 4
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, Pinkeh.4207 said:

After the egg, the hardest bit for me to get the turtle has been trying to do the Jade Maw event because it's guaranteed failure if more than 10 people try to do it.

That however is an issue, and is stress inducing. But I'm hopeful that it's just a balancing issue and that Anet will address it.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

So, I went back and watched the guild chat about the turtle just to check my memory.

Nick Hernandez doesn't say the turtle is going to be easier than skyscale, but he wanted to. At 37:20 in th video, he starts to say that it's going to be easier, but checks himself, knowing that there is a difficult meta and an strike mission in the way.

He says, "It's going to be a lot e... uh, simpler to get, a lot faster."

This doesn't actually make me feel better about the whole thing. It makes me think that they were aware this was going to be a problem for some players, and didn't want it to impact pre-sales.

"This is a staple piece, and kinda one of the main features we're shipping for this expansion. It's one of the back-of-the-box features..." he says earlier. And yet it's locked behind content a select portion of the population enjoys.

Edited by Gibson.4036
  • Like 12
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 2
  • Confused 4

14 minutes ago, Deihnyx.6318 said:

You have a I, II or III that can appear during the main boss fight. These 3 players need to isolate themselves because he basically attacks 3 times. "I" gets attacked first, "II" second etc.

Players that do not get the number simply stay behind the boss, there's an arrow that indicates the direction he's looking at.
Again, even if you fail this mechanic, it usually ends up being a few down that people rez immediately anyway. There's a bit more to this fight, but it remains largely forgiving, even if a bit intimidating at first.

Again I can't stress that enough. There's no timer, take all the time you need and all the sustain you need, this is actually a pretty good step up to learn mechanics without feeling rushed by time.

Thanks so much for the details on this!  Now I understand what the numbers mean and because there's no timer, hopefully people will be patient with each other as others learn this.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

25 minutes ago, Deihnyx.6318 said:

The main problem of this strike is the length, it should be reduced to like 5-10 mins each try.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 2
  • Confused 1

9 hours ago, Sigerk.2897 said:

This is an interesting point. Are you familiar with the Skinner Box? https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Operant_conditioning_chamber
Some time ago, game designers started applying these ideas to video games in the hopes of increasing player retention. It worked and they started refining it. And I think this is has become a problem that plagues most of the industry right now. Game companies want to make money so they apply psychological ways to increase player retention, players get conditioned into a certain mindset over time, forever chasing carrots on a stick. Actual content got downgraded to what basically amounts to glorified gambling and chasing shinies. RNG is a big part of this, and it works the same as slot machines, which for some people means that they start becoming addicted and their relationship to the game becomes something unhealthy. 
 And its taking over more and more companies. Look how Bethesda began and what they are doing now, look how Anet began and what they are doing now. You can see this with many companies. I believe its a complicated interplay between idealistic game devs and for-profit publishers pushing for more ways to increase profit regardless of what that means for actual gameplay and even long term consequences such as what it does to gaming communities and people on an individual level. 

In live-service games this problem is exacerbated even more. I believe the current model doesn't work, the only option to stay viable long term and keep up with the increasingly voracious demands of the consumers (which was created by applying these psychological tools in the first place), is to keep adding superficial, loot heavy content to satisfy that next ''high'' until that wears of and you start the loop again.  

And that's how you get this seeming disconnect between game consumers and developers. I believe most devs just want to make good games. But the market is very competitive, and lots of publishers came that only cared about the financial aspect. So sometimes it happens that old ideas get put into modern systems and that creates a disconnect for most players, who by now have been conditioned into fast reward expectations. Now the idea of playing for fun without any extrinsic rewards is becoming less of a given. I believe that a lot of the responses you see today wouldn't have happened years ago before games got so Skinner-boxed. 

On a side-note, a lot of aspects of (internet) society follow the same reward-principles as outlined above. Social media for example does it too, just adjusted for those platforms with likes/dislikes buttons serving as the proverbial carrots on sticks. 

Great points, it is a vicious cycle for sure and a disgusting practice we're subjected to just cause they want all the money, not just some of the money. I would estimate what we're talking about really took off around when F2P/MTX started taking hold on the industry. That I think marks a pivotal point in the change from studios trying to stay afloat to studios trying to make big $$$ for greedy CEOs and investors (and I say for them, cause that big cash has never gone to the regular dev workers).

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1

You just wait when people realize that to upgrade the Jade Bot (so another core expac mechanic!!!) with the best Service Chip for gliding or rescue protocol - you need to do strikes, because the items are yet again account bound. I seriously don't undrestand this "account bound" fetish we get nearly EVERY TIME.

https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Rescue_Protocol_Recharge_3https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Jade_Assistant:_Gliding_Booster_3

Are devs so out of touch with the community? 

Edited by Thaia.5146
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 2
  • Confused 1

1 hour ago, Thaia.5146 said:

You just wait when people realize that to upgrade the Jade Bot (so another core expac mechanic!!!) with the best Service Chip for gliding or rescue protocol - you need to do strikes, because the items are yet again account bound. I seriously don't undrestand this "account bound" fetish we get nearly EVERY TIME.

https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Rescue_Protocol_Recharge_3https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Jade_Assistant:_Gliding_Booster_3

To cut down on the number of credit card warriors. Not everything should be buyable.

• Like 3
  • Confused 5

This is a troll post right? How could anyone sit there and think Kaineng Overlook is a ''hard mode''? Its literally the normal mode version of the fight, the CMs aren't even in the game yet

Literally all you have to do is bring a half-decent build and just not stand infront of Li whenever he dashes, then you just move out of the group if you have a number above your head or a circle underneath you.. thats it, is that really too much to ask of you people?

I couldn't imagine playing this game just to do nothing but 11111111111 everything in Open World, what a boring experience that would be

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 7

5 hours ago, Thaia.5146 said:

The irony is not all can be used in instances like strike and fractal.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

14 minutes ago, VPK.1796 said:

Forums are just noise to them, they only rely on real data.

The funny thing about data is that people can read it many different ways. Anyone who has participated in a business meeting knows the pain of how wildly people can draw conclusions from data to support their preconceptions or desires. And it’s often the most dynamic personalities that sway the interpretation that the group settles on.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1

On 3/6/2022 at 5:09 PM, Melech.4308 said:

I can already see raid sellers seeing the opportunity to drain people's in game gold by selling the strike mission to those who don't want to do it.

Don't know if someone already replied, but I saw in LFG selling the "turtle strike" for 120g / player.

• Sad 1

On 3/14/2022 at 12:41 AM, Thaia.5146 said:

I don't understand why the cores are tradeable and can be swap out any time while the modules are account bound and need a jade bot workbench for that (it's just annyoing for me).

I think account bound stuff should represend hard work/grind like legendaries, so don't understand why you can just sell them...people who swipe their credit card can just buy a legendary weapon out from TP...it should be a prestige item dedicated to the game, not for the money.

• Like 3
  • Confused 1

On 3/14/2022 at 12:53 PM, Gibson.4036 said:

Remember when it was mostly just cosmetics locked behind instanced group content?

Good times.

Not that this would change much, just watch them locking the elder dragon variants of the gen 3 legendaries behind successful clears of the Harvest Temple SM... the salt.