If you beat the Dragon's End meta for the Turtle mount - your headache isn't over just yet.

1 minute ago, Einsof.1457 said:

We're talking about strike #3 , sir. Not the meta. 

1 minute ago, yoni.7015 said:

Strike missions are not open world content. 

i am talking about the strike mission requirement for getting the turtle. the turtle is open world content but it's hidden behind a strike mission that requires optimized builds. that's what i mean.

ETA: you can't even use the turtle in strike missions, so what logical reason is there to add the strike mission requirement?

Edited by castlemanic.3198
  • Like 7
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1

1 minute ago, castlemanic.3198 said:

i am talking about the strike mission requirement for getting the turtle. the turtle is open world content but it's hidden behind a strike mission that requires optimized builds. that's what i mean.

It doesn’t require optimized builds from everyone. It just makes it even easier. You make optimized builds sound bad, they are not. And I am pretty sure even a lot of casuals play decent builds. 

Edited by yoni.7015
  • Like 1
  • Confused 4

ETA: you can't even use the turtle in strike missions, so what logical reason is there to add the strike mission requirement?

For the sense of accomplishment, probably and to incentivize people to try strikes. 

Edited by Einsof.1457
  • Confused 4

4 minutes ago, yoni.7015 said:

It doesn’t require optimized builds from everyone. It just makes it easier.

it kinda does though. we're just going to have to agree to disagree on this matter because otherwise we'll be circling this point endlessly.

4 minutes ago, Einsof.1457 said:

For the sense of accomplishment, probably and to incentivize people to try strikes. 

there's plenty of accomplishment to be felt, doesn't mean that the turtle should be hidden behind a strike mission.

as for trying to incentivize people to try strikes out, that's likely the reason but it was a poor decision considering the majority of gw2 players are casuals who don't like instanced content that requires optimized builds because the majority of their gameplay doesn't require optimized builds.

Edited by castlemanic.3198
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 2

Invoking the experience of the beetle collection was a poor decision on ANet's part. Unlike the Griffon or Skyscale collections, there wasn't even a particularly noticeable gold/currency investment in the beetle collection. I was done so fast I can't even remember what went into that collection. Certainly not a buggy new meta and an instanced boss fight most people don't want to set foot in.

While it's clear that the turtle collection is doable, it's nothing like the beetle collection. This is amazing - ANet has found a way to fail at marketing even when they are not actually marketing. Either they don't know their own product, or they just don't understand the concept of "if you say something is going to be like X, actually make it like X."

Edited by voltaicbore.8012
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, castlemanic.3198 said:

it kinda does though. we're just going to have to agree to disagree on this matter because otherwise we'll be circling this point endlessly.

there's plenty of accomplishment to be felt, doesn't mean that the turtle should be hidden behind a strike mission.

as for trying to incentivize people to try strikes out, that's likely the reason but it was a poor decision considering the majority of gw2 players are casuals who don't like instanced content that requires optimized builds because the majority of their gameplay doesn't require optimized builds.

I am casual and I do strikes. It's doable. I have a wife and a family, and I still squeeze in some time to play in the evening when everyones sleeping. Am I a try hard lunatic no-lifer in your opinion?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 9

Just now, Einsof.1457 said:

I am casual and I do strikes. It's doable. I have a wife and a family, and I still squeeze in some time to play in the evening when everyones sleeping. Am I a try hard lunatic no-lifer in your opinion?

if you're doing strike missions, you're not that casual.

also at no point have i ever used the words 'try hard lunatic no lifer'. don't put words in my mouth.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 2

good thing that mount isnt required to complete ANY content. 

Which would be a legitimate statement (it works for legendaries) if it wasn't one of their hype points for the expansion, or they had been clear up front about what it would require.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

3 minutes ago, castlemanic.3198 said:

if you're doing strike missions, you're not that casual.

also at no point have i ever used the words 'try hard lunatic no lifer'. don't put words in my mouth.

So in your opinoin there are only two types of gw2 players?

Open-world maximalists that press 1, 2, and maybe 3 sometimes, dont really care about their gear stats, or build, and happily skip along open world events, watching netflix on the side, and maybe some crafting.

And then try-hard lunatics with scientific calculators trying to squeak out an extra 0.05% on their training golem while sitting in their underwear all day getting prepped for the next wing 1-7 speedrun?

These are the only two groups in your opinion?

Edited by Einsof.1457
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 6

So in your opinoin there are only two types of gw2 players?

Open-world maximalists that press 1, 2, and maybe 3 sometimes, dont really care about their gear stats, or build, and happily kitten along open world events, maybe some crafting.

And then try-hard lunatics with scientific calculators trying to squeak out an extra 0.05% on their training dummy while sitting in their underwear all day getting prepped for the next wing 1-7 speedrun?

These are the only two groups in your opinion?

did i ever say that? please quote me where i said that

• Like 1
  • Confused 2

1 minute ago, Gibson.4036 said:

Which would be a legitimate statement (it works for legendaries) if it wasn't one of their hype points for the expansion, or they had been clear up front about what it would require.

okay so your issue isn't with the actual content. It's okay that the turtle requires a couple group-oriented content events to get. 

• Haha 1
  • Confused 3

did i ever say that? please quote me where i said that

No but that is the vibe I am picking up from you. I presented that as a question. If I am wrong, what group is there? Because I am casual as heck, and I can do this stuff no problem. 

• Like 1
  • Confused 3
  • Sad 1

Just now, yoni.7015 said:

What? I wouldn’t say that’s true, even casual players do strike missions. 

hence the word 'that'. as in 'not that casual' as in there are different levels of casual.

No but that is the vibe I am picking up from you. I presented that as a question. If I am wrong, what group is there? Because I am casual as heck, and I can do this stuff no problem. 

as per the above, does that answer your question?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Einsof.1457 said:

You consider running your own static raids casual? LOL

Edited by Erise.5614
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

good thing that mount isnt required to complete ANY content. 

Which I am grateful for. I tried the turtle during the beta, and had zero interest in the mount itself. I am, however, a big stickler about maxing out the silly yellow mastery number on my account, so I'll be going for it. However, the non-requirement of the turtle allows me to let ANet sort out some of the bugs before giving it a go.

I got the underwater skimmer mastery on day one- the same day where it was actually impossible to get it the way ANet designed the process to go. I bought swim speed infusions, runes of speed, and got on my thief to regular-swim through the stupid LA skimmer course to unlock that mastery. While kind of fun in a dumb way, it's an experience I don't care to repeat.

That said "this content isn't required" is the most useless argument to make here. The entire game itself is not required. The point of the thread (and the people unhappy with the turtle collection) is that (a) we were told it was going to be similar to the easiest and most solo-friendly mount collection we've seen so far, but (b) the turtle collection is the least solo-friendly mount collection. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 5
  • Sad 1

8 minutes ago, Einsof.1457 said:

okay so your issue isn't with the actual content. It's okay that the turtle requires a couple group-oriented content events to get. 

I have no problem with there being challenging content in the game, instanced or open world. If they'd been up front about the turtle being locked behind it, I would have shrugged and realized my kids probably won't get it. I would have let my daughter know when she decided to buy EoD with her own money because she was excited about jade bots and the turtle, that the turtle may be out of her reach before she commited to spend the money.

But they specifically addressed fears of it being behind a hurdle players would find too high by saying it would be like getting the roller beetle. The most challenging thing the roller beetle required was the Kourna meta and the spider queen.

That's my issue.

Edited by Gibson.4036
  • Like 5
  • Confused 2

3 minutes ago, voltaicbore.8012 said:

Which I am grateful for. I tried the turtle during the beta, and had zero interest in the mount itself. I am, however, a big stickler about maxing out the silly yellow mastery number on my account, so I'll be going for it. However, the non-requirement of the turtle allows me to let ANet sort out some of the bugs before giving it a go.

I got the underwater skimmer mastery on day one- the same day where it was actually impossible to get it the way ANet designed the process to go. I bought swim speed infusions, runes of speed, and got on my thief to regular-swim through the stupid LA skimmer course to unlock that mastery. While kind of fun in a dumb way, it's an experience I don't care to repeat.

That said "this content isn't required" is the most useless argument to make here. The entire game itself is not required. The point of the thread (and the people unhappy with the turtle collection) is that (a) we were told it was going to be similar to the easiest and most solo-friendly mount collection we've seen so far, but (b) the turtle collection is the least solo-friendly mount collection. 

Exactly. The player has to decide if the reward is worth the effort. If it is, then the effort will be applied. If not, then the effort won't be applied. Has nothing to do with game design, persay, as those who REALLY want it will find a way to make it happen. 

• Confused 3
  • Sad 1

Haha no one joined that. I use LFG tool for everything I do.

You do understand though that casual players (aka the vast majority of the community) have never attempted a single raid?

Let alone completed a wing let alone considered starting a static group?

You are not a casual player by any sensible definition^^ 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2
  • Confused 2