Need spirit shards!

ian.8439

(InB4 all of the ‘I have thousands and don’t know what to do with them’ comments…. 🤦‍♂️)

I run out of them all the time as I make a lot of gen one legendaries.  Honestly, they are my biggest gate keeper.  

WvW tracks can be helpful as tomes of knowledge drop (about 7 per track), and you get an additional tome every WvW rank you progress.  This is one of the ways I replenish.

Ranks provide them once you have finished all of the masteries in any area.  

You also get a few finishing personal story chapters 2 & 3 (specific steps are in the link I posted)

Most account bound treasure loot boxes (none that can be sold) have a chance of dropping them as well.  

https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Spirit_Shard

I have yet to find a good resource of ‘best option for farming spirit shards’ though.  If you find one, let me know lol..

Good luck!  🥴🙂

Edited by Strider Pj.2193
  • Like 1

When you aren't gaining experience points toward a mastery, it all goes to a Spirit Shard bar. You have to finish a Mastery ability bar and not select a new one to really start grinding them.

What I've been doing is dailies from Living World Season 3 and 4, which give you three boxes each. Ten of those boxes fills your Spirit Shard bar.

1 hour ago, Strider Pj.2193 said:

(InB4 all of the ‘I have thousands and don’t know what to do with them’ comments…. 🤦‍♂️)

I run out of them all the time as I make a lot of gen one legendaries.  Honestly, they are my biggest gate keeper.  

WvW tracks can be helpful as tomes of knowledge drop (about 7 per track), and you get an additional tome every WvW rank you progress.  This is one of the ways I replenish.

Ranks provide them once you have finished all of the masteries in any area.  

You also get a few finishing personal story chapters 2 & 3 (specific steps are in the link I posted)

Most account bound treasure loot boxes (none that can be sold) have a chance of dropping them as well.  

https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Spirit_Shard

I have yet to find a good resource of ‘best option for farming spirit shards’ though.  If you find one, let me know lol..

Good luck!  🥴🙂

Found a way: you get massive amount of these by filling the xp bar with no mastery selected, so just do riba cf over and over and youll drown in spirit shards, trying it right now myself.

2 hours ago, ian.8439 said:

How can I get good amounts of these? I am lost and need a lot of them in order to finish my ascended armor set. Thanks!

I used to net 22-25 spirit shards with 1 run of Dragon's Stand Meta with all boosters, use a profession/build with lots of AOE's and tag as many mobs as you can. Kill the 3 Treasure Shrooms for another x3 shards. 

Kill all Treasure Shrooms every day (VB, TD, AB, Bloodstone fen, Draconis Mons) =35 spirit shards a week, or just Farm Metas with all XP boosters active providing you have Masteries maxed out in any given zone full XP bar = 1 spirit shard. 

1 hour ago, ian.8439 said:

Found a way: you get massive amount of these by filling the xp bar with no mastery selected, so just do riba cf over and over and youll drown in spirit shards, trying it right now myself.

You get spirit shards even if you have mastery selected after you've completely filled the mastery bar but haven't unlocked the mastery yet. It doesn't show the progress, but does function as a normal XP bar, as if you'd level normally at lvl 80.

Also, if you have any XP or Celebration boosters, it goes even faster.

1 minute ago, Veprovina.4876 said:

You get spirit shards even if you have mastery selected after you've completely filled the mastery bar but haven't unlocked the mastery yet.

Small correction: you need to completely fill all available mastery bars in a region without unlocking the masteries before experience goes towards spirit shards.

If you have for example filled the bar for fishing tier 3 without putting the necessary mastery points in there, but have only half filled the bar for jade bot tier 2, your EoD experience will first fill the jade bot tier 2 bar, even if you don't have jade bot selected for training. Only when you have filled all open bars for EoD masteries, then additional experience you gain will go towards gaining spirit shards.

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Rasimir.6239 said:

Small correction: you need to completely fill all available mastery bars in a region without unlocking the masteries before experience goes towards spirit shards.

If you have for example filled the bar for fishing tier 3 without putting the necessary mastery points in there, but have only half filled the bar for jade bot tier 2, your EoD experience will first fill the jade bot tier 2 bar, even if you don't have jade bot selected for training. Only when you have filled all open bars for EoD masteries, then additional experience you gain will go towards gaining spirit shards.

Hmm, you sure that's how i works? I don't seem to recall my non selected masteries ever getting XP when i forgot to change mastery, but i do remember getting spirit shards from that. 

Or maybe i somehow always had all of the masteries mastered i guess...

In any case, cool, yeah, fill the masteries, then with XP boosters, there's spirit shards galore after that. 🙂

10 minutes ago, Veprovina.4876 said:

Hmm, you sure that's how i works? I don't seem to recall my non selected masteries ever getting XP when i forgot to change mastery, but i do remember getting spirit shards from that. 

Or maybe i somehow always had all of the masteries mastered i guess...

In any case, cool, yeah, fill the masteries, then with XP boosters, there's spirit shards galore after that. 🙂

That is how it works. I keep telling myself to remember to upgrade the currently leveling mastery so it doesn't spill over and I keep forgetting. I am usually halfway through the wrong track before realizing ...

• Haha 2

Max out your +XP% via boosters, food, and zone specific buffs. Then do events over and over. RIBA is a good example. The World Boss train is another good example. Teq, if you tag all the areas during the mega laser portions also gives lots of xp. Beyond that do your dailies each day.

T4 Fractals are another good source.

As someone said above, WvW reward tracks and rank ups give tomes of knowledge which are sources of spirit shards.

Edited by Lan Deathrider.5910
More

2 hours ago, Khisanth.2948 said:

As long as there is nowhere else for the exp to go then the exp will go towards generating a spirit shard.

That's not correct.  All available masteries for a region have to be completed to get spirit shard xp.  I've had tons of XP go nowhere while working on masteries because I either filled a mastery XP bar but didn't have the mastery points or because the next mastery was still locked.

1 hour ago, Bollocks.4078 said:

That's not correct.  All available masteries for a region have to be completed to get spirit shard xp.  I've had tons of XP go nowhere while working on masteries because I either filled a mastery XP bar but didn't have the mastery points or because the next mastery was still locked.

https://imgur.com/a/bwh6ClH

Not shown in image, the usual "level up" animation and audio is also played.

Edited by Khisanth.2948

2 hours ago, Bollocks.4078 said:

When did you max out your mastery? They changed it not too long ago (either in 2021 or at the most in 2020) to allow spirit shards to be gained as long as you have no open mastery bar for the experience to go into.

From the wiki:

"If the mastery system has been unlocked but no mastery track has been selected, any experience earned will go towards the first untrained mastery track for that region."

And...

"If a player does not have enough mastery points to unlock the mastery, additional experience gained in that region will spill over to the next available untrained mastery track (or a player can select the next track to train manually). In the case where every remaining track has a full experience bar and the player does not have enough mastery points, additional experience will go towards a track that rewards spirit shards when completed (i.e. the normal "level up" reward)."

So, @Rasimir.6239is correct, all masteries need to be xp trained for you to get spirit shards.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Rasimir.6239 said:

When did you max out your mastery? They changed it not too long ago (either in 2021 or at the most in 2020) to allow spirit shards to be gained as long as you have no open mastery bar for the experience to go into.

Ah, I didn't realize that had changed, that's great!

I know I didn't get any XP in HoT areas until I had all HoT masteries completed.  That was well after PoF was released.  I have no idea  exactly when that was.  Within the last few weeks I had completed the second Dragon Slayer mastery, the third was still locked, everything else in IBS was complete.  I'm wasn't getting any XP in IBS areas, should I have been?  I have the third and fourth unlocked now but have a ways to go no the XP.  I'll have to see what happens when I get the fourth  finished while 5th is still locked.

Apparently I need to pay more attention to the update notes.

30 minutes ago, Bollocks.4078 said:

Ah, I didn't realize that had changed, that's great!

I know I didn't get any XP in HoT areas until I had all HoT masteries completed.  That was well after PoF was released.  I have no idea  exactly when that was.  Within the last few weeks I had completed the second Dragon Slayer mastery, the third was still locked, everything else in IBS was complete.  I'm wasn't getting any XP in IBS areas, should I have been?  I have the third and fourth unlocked now but have a ways to go no the XP.  I'll have to see what happens when I get the fourth  finished while 5th is still locked.

Apparently I need to pay more attention to the update notes.

January 14, 2020 is when that change happened.

17 hours ago, Veprovina.4876 said:

From the wiki:

"If the mastery system has been unlocked but no mastery track has been selected, any experience earned will go towards the first untrained mastery track for that region."

And...

"If a player does not have enough mastery points to unlock the mastery, additional experience gained in that region will spill over to the next available untrained mastery track (or a player can select the next track to train manually). In the case where every remaining track has a full experience bar and the player does not have enough mastery points, additional experience will go towards a track that rewards spirit shards when completed (i.e. the normal "level up" reward)."

So, @Rasimir.6239is correct, all masteries need to be xp trained for you to get spirit shards.

Doesn't seem to working for me in EoD.  Maybe I'm just not looking at it correctly?

1 hour ago, kharmin.7683 said:

Doesn't seem to working for me in EoD.  Maybe I'm just not looking at it correctly?

What's not working? You're not getting spirit shards or the XP is not spilling over to your untrained mastery?

I'd love to test this myself but, i mastered most masteries, and the ones i have full, like icebrood saga ones, are all trained full, just waiting for mastery points (which, wtf where are they????). In EOD as well, i'm currently mid XP bar, so it'll be a while before it fills to even try anything... 

But... Having said that, it seemed to me also that it doesn't really work like it says, idk if i just wasn't paying attention, or it's a bug or what. Would be neat if someone could test what really happens.