Why is there a weekly cap on green shards for EOD strikes?

I was hosting "all welcome" groups and full clearing these EoD strikes to help out the newbies thinking I was getting a few shards like in the older strikes. I was doing this everyday. I just found out these are hard capped at 150 per week. This is just like raids where mag shards are hard capped weekly and dedicated "raid trainers" get a few unidentified gears for leading a multi-hour training session IF they clear. It is discouraging. I cannot understand why Anet would punish those that try to help grow their community by capping the rewards. The Icebrood strikes still drop 1-3 shards for repeated clears and they are shorter and easier than these new ones. If anyone can enlighten me, please do so. For now, I guess I will just do the one priority strike per day. 

Edit: Was also doing these strikes to save up for the new ascended trinkets for the Ritualist stats. Found out I would need to complete the ENTIRE EoD story line again as the new spec to be able to buy these trinkets from the vendor for the Ritualist stats. I thought this game was advertised as having horizontal progression and as a game that respects your time.

Edited by A Hamster.2580
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 2
  • Confused 3
  • Sad 1

• 11 months later...

Still they gave no reason to have a weekly cap on green shards.
it's like the game doesn't want us to play more content and give us the option to grind lol.

On 3/19/2022 at 4:40 AM, A Hamster.2580 said:

Edit: Was also doing these strikes to save up for the new ascended trinkets for the Ritualist stats. Found out I would need to complete the ENTIRE EoD story line again as the new spec to be able to buy these trinkets from the vendor for the Ritualist stats. I thought this game was advertised as having horizontal progression and as a game that respects your time.

It took them about a year to make raid gear with rit and dragon, but they made it 🙄

• Like 1
  • Confused 3

42 minutes ago, Hellion.2360 said:

Still they gave no reason to have a weekly cap on green shards.
it's like the game doesn't want us to play more content and give us the option to grind lol.

It took them about a year to make raid gear with rit and dragon, but they made it 🙄

It's the same case with raids. They made it this way so entire strike content doesn't devolve into cof p1 when people were farming same, easiest, fastest path over and over and over again. 

• Like 3

personally, i don't see the reason it's bad allowing the players some repetitive farms in instanced content (eg. fractals farm) as long as it doesn't break the economy (which is already broken). 

plus, it's not like u can make bank with farming AH or KO even with the current rewards.
just give us some shards for helping others or allow grinding a bit for ppl who want to. 🐒

• Like 1
  • Confused 3

20 hours ago, Sobx.1758 said:

...or maybe it's more that the game actually wants you to play more content instead of repeatedly grind one instance?

....or maybe I like to grind for something that I want ingame and I don't mind it either? Isn't grinding a content anyway? GW2 has its fair share of grinding if u look around 🙃
(before ppl will quote me out of context or smt in those lines, I DON'T support grinding-only gameplay I just want to have the OPTION to grind if someone wants to.)

Edit- btw if you think about it, green shards are also time-gated. don't we all love timed gated content? 🙃

Edit2 (just because I'm right ofc)- Check out this neat quote I found in the wiki about blue shards "There is no acquisition cap for them, and the strikes might be completed repeatedly without any daily or weekly limits. "
so why not green shards? why they are allowing us to farm blue and not green? only bc it's the current content? that's kinda color discrimination if u ask me! 🤡

apart from MC, clovers (which can be obtained in so many ways now), and some blue undi gear there are 0, nil, nothing, cero, nulla, nul, sifir things that should and will affect the economy.

just let us work towards cool stuff without time-gating or getting a minor reward for running the same thing bc we want to help or just run it again since we are insane. 

Edited by Hellion.2360
  • Like 1
  • Confused 5

2 hours ago, Hellion.2360 said:

....or maybe I like to grind for something that I want ingame and I don't mind it either? Isn't grinding a content anyway? GW2 has its fair share of grinding if u look around 🙃
(before ppl will quote me out of context or smt in those lines, I DON'T support grinding-only gameplay I just want to have the OPTION to grind if someone wants to.)

Edit- btw if you think about it, green shards are also time-gated. don't we all love timed gated content? 🙃

Edit2 (just because I'm right ofc)- Check out this neat quote I found in the wiki about blue shards "There is no acquisition cap for them, and the strikes might be completed repeatedly without any daily or weekly limits. "
so why not green shards? why they are allowing us to farm blue and not green? only bc it's the current content? that's kinda color discrimination if u ask me! 🤡

apart from MC, clovers (which can be obtained in so many ways now), and some blue undi gear there are 0, nil, nothing, cero, nulla, nul, sifir things that should and will affect the economy.

just let us work towards cool stuff without time-gating or getting a minor reward for running the same thing bc we want to help or just run it again since we are insane. 

I guess you haven't been playing when people were farming shards for IBS Strikes by doing Kodans endlessly on repeat, if the weekly cap on green shards prevents those kinds of groups from appearing then it's doing it's job perfectly, right now you can see groups actually doing the Strikes instead of the LFG being flooded with 500LI or other nonsense requirements groups ALL doing Kodans sitting in LFG just because doing it a second slower results in the group exploding into arguments with half the group leaving.

The weekly cap is good, should be adjusted so it allows us to get the MC and Clover at their caps, that's all. Finished for the week? Help others or do something else.

• Like 2

atm there is no cap on IBS shards yet I don't see anyone farming tf out of them again.

if for instance there will be no cap on green shards and suddenly ppl would farm the hell out of them with "super efficiency" I still don't see the problem. let those players do that highly optimal runs with like-minded ppl.

Plus I understand the spamming thing, but let's face it, the LFG system isn't enforced by any moderation regardless. See LFG in raid section for further examples.

• Like 1
  • Confused 2

On 3/19/2022 at 5:40 AM, A Hamster.2580 said:

Craft legendaries bruh, no more progression

Edited by stormemperor.3745
Cause I am an idiot and wrote on quote instead, you happy? :|
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, Hellion.2360 said:

....or maybe I like to grind for something that I want ingame and I don't mind it either?

And how is this supposed to be responding to what I said or to what I quoted in my previous post? You liking repeatedly grinding one thing was not what these posts were talking about.

Isn't grinding a content anyway? GW2 has its fair share of grinding if u look around

Again, what is this responding to exactly? Where did I say anything about "grinding not being content" or similar?

I'm really getting confused over here. What is this point supposed to be? This whole thread, including it's title is about green shards being capped per week, which obviously does make them time-gated. This is simply a given, considering the premise of this thread, isn't it?

Edited by Sobx.1758
  • Like 2
  • Confused 3

9 hours ago, Hellion.2360 said:

atm there is no cap on IBS shards yet I don't see anyone farming tf out of them again.

Because it is more efficient to run the individual strikes and the effort to setup a farm group is not worth it given the diminishing returns (and in case of green shards time gate).

That could be different with more recent rewards. For example, players farming green shards for infusions.

if for instance there will be no cap on green shards and suddenly ppl would farm the hell out of them with "super efficiency" I still don't see the problem. let those players do that highly optimal runs with like-minded ppl.

You don't see the problem because you don't want to see the problem.

This games instanced content is already struggling as far as consistent groups. There is no reason to reduce the amount of regular groups even more.

Plus I understand the spamming thing, but let's face it, the LFG system isn't enforced by any moderation regardless. See LFG in raid section for further examples.

That is no reason to make the issue worse. It's never a good argument to go:"well it's kitten already, let's f it up some more".

Edited by Cyninja.2954
  • Like 1

On 3/18/2023 at 5:16 PM, Sobx.1758 said:

...or maybe it's more that the game actually wants you to play more content instead of repeatedly grind one instance?

It is set that way to make habit of raiding/running strikes/fractals. All daily quests/instances/achievements are there to grow habit. It's tale as old as MMO itself. There is no other reason, than making habit out of logging into game weekly to do strikes/raids, or daily to get 2 gold or run fractals.

https://www.researchgate.net/publication/365003534_Daily_Quests_or_Daily_Pests_The_Benefits_and_Pitfalls_of_Engagement_Rewards_in_Games

• Like 2
  • Confused 4

13 hours ago, Bakeneko.5826 said:

It is set that way to make habit of raiding/running strikes/fractals. All daily quests/instances/achievements are there to grow habit. It's tale as old as MMO itself. There is no other reason, than making habit out of logging into game weekly to do strikes/raids, or daily to get 2 gold or run fractals.

Ok, hopefully you understood the context of my response there though. In case you didn't, check what was quoted there. Now, what is your answer supposed to be changing here in terms of what that poster wants? There are reasons to do it this way and none of them is "the game doesn't want us to play more content".

• Like 2
  • Confused 3

10 hours ago, Sobx.1758 said:

Ok, hopefully you understood the context of my response there though. In case you didn't, check what was quoted there. Now, what is your answer supposed to be changing here in terms of what that poster wants? There are reasons to do it this way and none of them is "the game doesn't want us to play more content".

Or, just maybe, I am giving more context to your post, as to WHY is it set that way?

• Like 2
  • Confused 3

7 hours ago, Bakeneko.5826 said:

Or, just maybe, I am giving more context to your post, as to WHY is it set that way?

Ok, I see going back to what I quoted was not an option for some reason, so here it is: someone wrote that not leaving the same instance infinitely farmable is "like the game doesn't want us to play more content". That conclusion makes no sense here since if "the game" doesn't want someone to infinitely farm one instance, it makes it... the opposite of that claim -to get more rewards you now need to play more content. Hence my response. Now your response simply avoids that altogether, so it's hardly "giving more context to my post", I'd rather say it disregards the context of my post.

Edited by Sobx.1758
  • Like 1
  • Confused 3

2 hours ago, Sobx.1758 said:

someone wrote that not leaving the same instance infinitely farmable is "like the game doesn't want us to play more content".

This could actually be a linguistic tripping stone over which we non-native speakers tend to stumble. 😉

Perhaps that sentence was meant to say: "Like they don't want us to play their content more." (not as in "play more content options", but as in "play this specific content more frequently")

It's true that not everyone likes all game modes and content options equally. I also wouldn't mind being able to spend more time in post-IBS Strike Missions than just doing the dailies/weeklies for rewards.

Edited by Ashantara.8731
  • Like 1
  • Confused 5

11 minutes ago, Ashantara.8731 said:

This could actually be a linguistic tripping stone over which we non-native speakers tend to stumble. 😉

Perhaps that sentence was meant to say: "Like they don't want us to play their content more." (not as in "play more content options", but as in "play this specific content more frequently")

Sure, perhaps he really meant something other than what he actually said, but I didn't see him clearing that up yet so... perhaps he didn't? 😉 

Edited by Sobx.1758
  • Like 3
  • Confused 2