ArenaNet Studio Update: The future of Guild Wars 2

Hmm, i for one am not excited about this announcement.

Why ?

I think the lifespan of GW2 has ended, its time for GW3.

New expansions will not bring in new players and the playerbase is slowly but certainly decreasing.

I have been around daily since the beta but it is almost getting to be a task.

That means that the fun for me is declining.

I love what u made of GW2, but i am at a point where it is getting stale.

And i think it is time for Arenanet to go focus on GW3 and combine the best parts of GW1 and GW2 to make a truly amazing experience.

• Like 8
  • Confused 7

I don't know why there is still this fascination with a GW3. I think Guild wars has been choked to death, and i really hope if they do consider another game it's something different.

Edit afternoon the confused.🤣

Edited by Dami.5046
  • Like 3
  • Confused 6

On 3/30/2022 at 3:17 PM, huebers.4150 said:

Hmm, i for one am not excited about this announcement.

Why ?

I think the lifespan of GW2 has ended, its time for GW3.

New expansions will not bring in new players and the playerbase is slowly but certainly decreasing.

I have been around daily since the beta but it is almost getting to be a task.

That means that the fun for me is declining.

I love what u made of GW2, but i am at a point where it is getting stale.

And i think it is time for Arenanet to go focus on GW3 and combine the best parts of GW1 and GW2 to make a truly amazing experience.

Guild Wars 2 is increasing in players and money income, idk what your saying 😂.

And about GW3, as some1 mentioned, gw has been exploited at this point, if they do something better do a new game, or new MMORPG with new name (even if it has similarities). Arenanet doesnt seem they have the menpower to do it right now, neither NCsoft seem to be providing all the money they get.

Edited by Izzy.2951
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 5

i know some people call for GW3.... but the only way i'd go for it, it would have to be DX12 by default (with raytracing, even if it's a setting that can be turned off), or it wouldn't be worth it. and not the crappy sparcity that Archage bragged about, since they barely scraped the surface of what that game engine could do.

steam survey indicates that pre win10/dx12 machines are almost a bygone era.

BUT! anet is still going strong on GW2, and with DX11 fixing to be default, i'm not worried about the longevity of this game. for all the naysayers that essentially hop games every 6 months anyway, don't worry me in the least. all they do is cry wolf everywhere they go.

Edited by Forgotten Legend.9281
  • Like 2
  • Haha 2
  • Confused 2

On 3/23/2022 at 6:11 AM, Gibson.4036 said:

This announcement makes me a little melancholy. In different circumstances it would have been exciting for me.

On one hand, LW1 returning is something I never thought would happen, and I look forward to replaying it as my kids experience it for the first time. WvW focus has potential.

It's hard to be excited about the idea of another expansion down the road when the one we just got steered away from our kind of players. At this point, if EoD is being taken as a smashing success by ArenaNet, I expect more open world features to be locked behind strikes next time around.

I hope the new Cantha LW zone will be more Jade Sea. It'd be nice to have a Jade Sea zone that isn't a complete war zone geared entirely toward a massive meta event. It felt like the environment potential was eclipsed by the zones purpose. If they could take us around the island some where there is more Jade Sea, but no Void invasion that would be nice. Maybe some wide open jade waves where we could roller beetle along, bouncing into the air as we crest each one.

HoT was hard, people complained, and Anet made PoF easy.  EoD is hard, people complaine dand people will make the next expansion easier. That's how it works.

Anet would love to get more people into strikes and raids, but I don't really think it's happening beyond the core community.

• Like 5
  • Confused 1

Do we have a thread for the recent update post on the website? (The april one?) Or isn't this wanted by the mods? (Or can everyone create an own one?)

I wanted to speculate about the tests/changes for new accounts. (New player retention.) Cause I did not play 2014. Heard about bad systems in place back then. Traits and skills locked behing achievements you had to do - that might scare away new players that just want to progress quicker. Since the latest content is always advertised everyone wants to get the skyscale quickly and going to the latest maps and meta events.

I can only see changes happening that will make it easier to progress. (Not harder.) Meaning: The strike requirement for turtle also has to be dropped in the long-term. (At least before going to steam.) But those testing on the new accounts ... we'll see after that. As long as it doesn't affect old accounts (or new character son old accounts) - everything should be fine.  😄

Edited by Luthan.5236
  • Like 1
  • Confused 3

I really hope Anet is also remastering this season 1 content. I also hope they remaster the base game content before they go to Steam, otherwise they will lose a lot of potential players before they can experience the level 80 content. As I'm sure lots of people have stated, the base game does not do the overall game justice, and it is a shame it is the gate keeper.

Edited by Song of Eternity.8613
  • Confused 5

On 4/17/2022 at 5:46 PM, Song of Eternity.8613 said:

I really hope Anet is also remastering this season 1 content. I also hope they remaster the base game content before they go to Steam, otherwise they will lose a lot of potential players before they can experience the level 80 content. As I'm sure lots of people have stated, the base game does not do the overall game justice, and it is a shame it is the gate keeper.

base game sold over 5 mio. none of the expansions are even close to that.

it is the expansions, that doesnt live up to the core game. 

if the core game was bad, then there wouldnt had been any expansions at all. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 2

On 4/21/2022 at 5:34 AM, battledrone.8315 said:

Well they tried to go the no expansion way but since the core game got really stale they had to start doing expansions.

So yea now the core game is holding the game back mate just have to admit that to yourself otherwise core going ftp would have boosted the game into high heavens.

And it did not.

• Like 1
  • Confused 3

2 hours ago, Linken.6345 said:

Well they tried to go the no expansion way but since the core game got really stale they had to start doing expansions.

So yea now the core game is holding the game back mate just have to admit that to yourself otherwise core going ftp would have boosted the game into high heavens.

And it did not.

any mmo without updates gets stale

core game sold 1 mio per year until they made it free.

and none of the expansions are even close to the same performance

going F2P doesnt solve any of the biggest issues either: story disconnects, orr and the zhaitan fight

AFAIK they are experimenting with higher XP gains in the early game now. lol.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1

On 4/21/2022 at 5:34 AM, battledrone.8315 said:

Core game was terrible, and its still kinda terrible. The only reason GW2 base game sold so many accoutns was cos 2 things, a vast gw1 community waiting for the game (+11 million account sold in 2011 gw1), and the hype around the game BEFORE launching, that everyone in the mmo scene was talking about it. But after it landed, it wasnt the great game they were talking about. In fact it was confusing, boring and without endgame (thats the opinion ppl still have of Gw2)

Expansions are x10 times more quality than the core game in any aspect, even free living world episodes are better. So your are completly wrong.

Also, PvP and WvW that were gonna be their pilars got abandonned and werent succesful either, the sport community was so niche that it got canceled.

Edited by Izzy.2951
  • Like 1
  • Confused 6

On 4/23/2022 at 6:31 AM, battledrone.8315 said:

core game sold 1 mio per year until they made it free.

This is also completly false, "The game sold over two million copies in its first two weeks". 2 million in 2 weeks just cos gw1 and hype around MMO community thx to gw1 fans too and marketing. they sold 5 million by 2015, but most of it was sold in the first months, it wasnt 1 million per year as you say. I dont have the data of the copies of expansions sold, but if there havent been more xpac sold its basically cos the failure of gw2 core game. And even with that, they will overcome gw2 base game that is f2p since 2015, so yes expansions will likely sell more copies in the long run.

There was a post the other day in reddit like "Comment good memories from the early years of gw2", and basically there was no1 saying something really positive, cos the game is 100 times better after HoT or now than what it was. Its not like WoW or Gw1 that were a real sucess since start with good memories. 

The only reason gw2 is here today, its cos the massive GW1 community (and the nostalgia they keep abusing even nowadays with cantha and all) and marketing it had, and cos arenanet had their other projects cancelled and fired from NCsoft, but gw2 core game was clearly not a great success im sorry to tell you.

Edited by Izzy.2951
  • Like 2
  • Confused 5

20 minutes ago, Izzy.2951 said:

Core game was terrible, and its still kinda terrible. The only reason GW2 base game sold so many accoutns was cos 2 things, a vast gw1 community waiting for the game (+11 million account sold in 2011 gw1), and the hype around the game BEFORE launching, that everyone in the mmo scene was talking about it. But after it landed, it wasnt the great game they were talking about. In fact it was confusing, boring and without endgame (thats the opinion ppl still have of Gw2)

Expansions are x10 times more quality than the core game in any aspect, even free living world episodes are better. So your are completly wrong.

Also, PvP and WvW that were gonna be their pilars got abandonned and werent succesful either, the sport community was so niche that it got canceled.

you are confirming my observation , and one of the biggest issues with this game: the big difference between the core game and the expansions; they are basically 2 different games

a core lover/casual will like the core game, and hate the expansions

hardcores will have the opposite opinion. and when anet tries to rally the community in one event, you 

can see the effects of such a polarized community. 

you have your own taste, but most of the core game is pretty straight forward: dragon bad, now go and save the world

it is certainly much better than the nihilistic drivel from the expansions

opinion is one thing, but the numbers are telling a different story

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

26 minutes ago, Izzy.2951 said:

This is also completly false, "The game sold over two million copies in its first two weeks". 2 million in 2 weeks just cos gw1 and hype around MMO community thx to gw1 fans too and marketing. they sold 5 million by 2015, but most of it was sold in the first months, it wasnt 1 million per year as you say. I dont have the data of the copies of expansions sold, but if there havent been more xpac sold its basically cos the failure of gw2 core game. And even with that, they will overcome gw2 base game that is f2p since 2015, so yes expansions will likely sell more copies in the long run.

There was a post the other day in reddit like "Comment good memories from the early years of gw2", and basically there was no1 saying something really positive, cos the game is 100 times better after HoT or now than what it was. Its not like WoW or Gw1 that were a real sucess since start with good memories. 

The only reason gw2 is here today, its cos the massive GW1 community (and the nostalgia they keep abusing even nowadays with cantha and all) and marketing it had, and cos arenanet had their other projects cancelled and fired from NCsoft, but gw2 core game was clearly not a great success im sorry to tell you.

if it really was this terrible, how on earth could they sell over over one mio expansions ?

how could they get any expansions at all?

core game is a decade old , and it is still populated, despite the horrible ending, and without any

siginificant updates or expansions. i dare you to find another mmo that can do the same

• Like 2

30 minutes ago, battledrone.8315 said:

you are confirming my observation , and one of the biggest issues with this game: the big difference between the core game and the expansions; they are basically 2 different games

a core lover/casual will like the core game, and hate the expansions

hardcores will have the opposite opinion. and when anet tries to rally the community in one event, you 

can see the effects of such a polarized community. 

you have your own taste, but most of the core game is pretty straight forward: dragon bad, now go and save the world

it is certainly much better than the nihilistic drivel from the expansions

opinion is one thing, but the numbers are telling a different story

I have already answered you with numbers, Gw2 sold "so many" accounts cos they sold +11.5 million accounts in gw1 by 2011 that were waiting for Gw2 to drop (with so many lies told also) and cos the hype they created and marketing. Another number is that most of those 5 million were sold in the first weeks without any real impression of the game (+2 millions of those 5 in 2 weeks), so its likely to say that most of the accounts sold were in the first months of the game, saying that the impression and retention were really bad. 

Another fact is that the opinion of gw2 from mmo players is bad (you can see it around its like a meme), even  having a great community behind (gw1), a lot of marketing and money invested. The game has never been even close to other TOP mmos like WoW.

And on top of that gw2 had to go F2P in 2015 and cancel their sport league, cos it wasnt good. Even having one of the best pvp sport in gw1 and spending a lot of money on it. So neither in PvP neither in PvE Group content (that is 80% of an online game) gw2 has done well. And story if we look at core... dont make me talk.

Edited by Izzy.2951
  • Like 1
  • Confused 6

On 4/23/2022 at 3:53 AM, Linken.6345 said:

And it did not.

that doesnt make the core game bad, it just makes anet terrible planners.

any mmo without new content gets stale. if it was a bad game, people would had left long before 

that became a issue. they had over a mio players who were ready for more core game.

sadly we didnt get it

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Izzy.2951 said:

I have already answered you with numbers, Gw2 sold "so many" accounts cos they sold +11.5 million accounts in gw1 by 2011 that were waiting for Gw2 to drop (with so many lies told also) and cos the hype they created and marketing. Another number is that most of those 5 million were sold in the first weeks without any real impression of the game (+2 millions of those 5 in 2 weeks), so its likely to say that most of the accounts sold were in the first months of the game, saying that the impression and retention were really bad.

Another fact is that the opinion of gw2 from mmo players is bad (you can see it around its like a meme), even  having a great community behind (gw1), a lot of marketing and money invested. The game has never been even close to other TOP mmos like WoW.

If those expansions didnt came out and were exactly as core game, gw2 will be cancelled so far. And it has not been "abandoned" also, cos the other arenanet projects were cancelled.

So yeah you have numbers, facts and opinions all around. And we have to say that gw2 now is more alive that it has been in the past, so i dont think its bad for them.

in what world is 5 mio sold boxes not a top mmo? SWTOR had less than 3 mio , with a much bigger name, and with 

similar hype. new world had 1½. STO had 700k. 

and the "side projects" tell their own story. whether you listen to it or not, is your choice

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, battledrone.8315 said:

in what world is 5 mio sold boxes not a top mmo? SWTOR had less than 3 mio , with a much bigger name, and with 

and the "side projects" tell their own story. whether you listen to it or not, is your choice

Im telling you why they sold that, and in what period of time they sold that. SWTOR didnt had 11.5 million gw1 accounts waiting for it before launch and pre-purchasing gw2, neither the hype they created with this game all around like it was gonna be the best game ever, which it wasnt, im sorry to tell you.

Not gonna enter in more details cos you clearly dont wanna see things. Expansions are 1.000 times better than core game, even tho there were 5 million copies sold, people were leaving gw2 and saying it was a boring game with no endgame and bad group content. PvP sport got canceled, wvw abandonned, the game had to go f2p in 2015 and arenanet cared so less that they put gw2 on a side to focus on other games in 2018/2019 with no major releases in gw2 on mind.

To be honest GW1 was much more healthy than gw2 when it had actual development. For not talking about other games like WoW etc..

And again if they dont focus on making good PvE group content, good events, quality stuff. And reviving WvW/PvP the game is gonna be dead. All gw1 content has already been added to gw2 with cantha (aside some lws6 maps), so whats left, swinging a sword alone in irrelevant storys from now on? i dont think thats the way.

Edited by Izzy.2951
  • Like 1
  • Confused 5

14 minutes ago, battledrone.8315 said:

"Swtor total global sales has reached 2,042,877 copies! In pc games, RPG category: it is ranked number 4 best selling RPG of all time following Diablo, wow cataclysm and wow. Also, swtor has won the first place on global top seller chart(Dec 24th) It is a huge success! Congratulation to swtor team and fans!

http://gamrreview.vgchartz.com/sales...-old-republic/"

Edited by Izzy.2951
  • Confused 3

3 minutes ago, Izzy.2951 said:

"Swtor total global sales has reached 2,042,877 copies! In pc games, RPG category: it is ranked number 4 best selling RPG of all time following Diablo, wow cataclysm and wow. Also, swtor has won the first place on global top seller chart(Dec 24th) It is a huge success! Congratulation to swtor team and fans!

http://gamrreview.vgchartz.com/sales...-old-republic/"

what is your point? that nr 4 isnt considered a top mmo?

Edited by battledrone.8315

Star Wars: The Old Republic, which lasted all of seven months before going free-to-play.

https://venturebeat.com/2012/12/27/the-best-mmos-of-2012/

Guild Wars 2 – one of the top-selling PC games of 2012, Guild Wars 2 is a high fantasy 3D MMORPG that is very polished and fun to play.

https://bestmmorpg2013.com/

Year Released: 2012
2012 Score: 13.6
2012 Rank: 2
2013 Weeks Ranked: 52
Year Released: 2012
Developer: ArenaNet
Publisher: NCSoft

https://nosygamer.blogspot.com/2013/12/the-digital-dozen-2013-final-rankings.html

It's easy to find information on Google.