I hate what DPS meters have done to PVE endgame...

Jarvis.9540

@Wolfheart.7483 said:

@IndigoSundown.5419 said:Any perusal of the old forums will find myriad discussions about exclusion. Unless people want to bury their heads in the sand, it should be a given that GW2 has almost since launch had exclusion based on player preferences for playing a certain way. In GW2 forums, many of those discussions include references to criteria used as justification to exclude. Those criteria include AP, gear pings, certain professions only, and since raids appeared, LI. This phenomenon can be tracked back to other MMO's as well, should one want to.

The OP and others assert that exclusion issues have significantly worsened, and that the cause of this dramatic increase has been the use of a damage meter. The problem with these assertions is that they are anecdotal in nature. That makes the assertion opinion, not fact. For the assertion to be fact, those making the assertion would have to assume the burden of proof. That's vanishingly unlikely.

One problem, as with many issues, is that people assume their opinion is correct, For the most part, people have an investment in being right. So, their opinion is obviously right, to them. As a result, no argument is likely to remove meter blame, just as no argument is likely to sway meter defenders. It may look like that's what's being attempted, and people may think that's what they're trying to do. What's really happening, though , is that people are trying to build agreement for their opinion as a means of convincing ANet to intervene or not intervene.

What I find sad is that should the meter hate succeed in convincing ANet, it will not be because facts have been gathered. No one is going to demonstrate that a meter is the prime cause, rather than the latest in a long line of justifications. No one is going to demonstrate that things would be rosy for those wanting all groups to be everything goes. No, if ANet acts, it will be because ANet decided they needed to act to reduce negative publicity which can and does affect their bottom line. If that happens, exclusion will continue with a different justification.

result.

Thers a simple saying 'theres no smoke without fire' and there is plenty of smoke. If I was a designer I would remove it because it does cause grief - we all know this over many many years of mmorpg experience, and WOW is a prime example of how badly it can go wrong, and quite frankly GW2 does not need a meter + the majoirty dont use meters. The only people who lose out are the minority meter users, and im assuming they have the skill to adapt without a meter!

"It" doesn't cause grief. For the last time, I submit to you that the DPS meter displays objective data. Nothing more, nothing less. It does not force someone to behave in a toxic way. They
will
do that anyway, just as often, with or without the DPS meter.

But at this point, it has become readily apparent that neither you nor those so adamantly opposed to the DPS meter will listen to reason. We are simply running in circles. Nothing constructive is manifesting from this so I bid you farewell.

@Wolfheart.7483 said:

@Wolfheart.7483 said:

@lmaogg.7325 said:lmao people who tryhard defending the dps meter are similar to those who defend firearm with the reasoning of "Psychopaths will still be psychopaths even without firearm".

Yeap I won't deny that's true. Except the rest of the world who doesn't allow firearm to public have 0 issues with being killed by gunfire randomly nor do we need one. /shrugDone with this pve kitten thread.

There is a world of difference between the two.

Not really. People are still people. The way they think is the same in situations such as this.

K bye.

The basic idea that "guns don't kill people, people kill people" is true. Countries who outlaw guns generally don't do it because they think "guns make people use them badly." They do it because they are trying to protect public safety. DPS meters do not endanger public safety. Guns are
dangerous
objects, DPS meters are not.

But, I'll throw an example out there to counter yours:Back in the 90s there was a huge backlash against violence in video games. Groups who were anti-gaming claimed that violence in video games
caused
people to act violently. If they had gotten their way, you might not even be playing Guild Wars 2, it probably wouldn't exist. The individuals who would commit violent acts after playing a violent video game would have been violent individuals with or without the video game. The violence would not manifest because of a video game. The person committing violence should still be held accountable for their behavior.

Amazing!I have to applaud you on making an argument on completely separate issues that do not relate to one another.Comparing RL Violence to DPS Meter 3rd party software?What next? Penguins Survival in Antarctica to 3rd Party software? Is there no end in sight?

I suggest removing combat log altogether as it would end this discussion with the Nail in the coffin.

• Replies 591
  • Created
  • Last Reply

@Fuzdom.6493 said:Ban all 3rd party apps!

Ban repeated offender accounts after 2 in-game cross server email warnings.

That or allow all 3rd party apps.

@vesica tempestas.1563 said:

@Dante.1763 said:

@Dante.1763 said:

@IndigoSundown.5419 said:Any perusal of the old forums will find myriad discussions about exclusion. Unless people want to bury their heads in the sand, it should be a given that GW2 has almost since launch had exclusion based on player preferences for playing a certain way. In GW2 forums, many of those discussions include references to criteria used as justification to exclude. Those criteria include AP, gear pings, certain professions only, and since raids appeared, LI. This phenomenon can be tracked back to other MMO's as well, should one want to.

The OP and others assert that exclusion issues have significantly worsened, and that the cause of this dramatic increase has been the use of a damage meter. The problem with these assertions is that they are anecdotal in nature. That makes the assertion opinion, not fact. For the assertion to be fact, those making the assertion would have to assume the burden of proof. That's vanishingly unlikely.

One problem, as with many issues, is that people assume their opinion is correct, For the most part, people have an investment in being right. So, their opinion is obviously right, to them. As a result, no argument is likely to remove meter blame, just as no argument is likely to sway meter defenders. It may look like that's what's being attempted, and people may think that's what they're trying to do. What's really happening, though , is that people are trying to build agreement for their opinion as a means of convincing ANet to intervene or not intervene.

What I find sad is that should the meter hate succeed in convincing ANet, it will not be because facts have been gathered. No one is going to demonstrate that a meter is the prime cause, rather than the latest in a long line of justifications. No one is going to demonstrate that things would be rosy for those wanting all groups to be everything goes. No, if ANet acts, it will be because ANet decided they needed to act to reduce negative publicity which can and does affect their bottom line. If that happens, exclusion will continue with a different justification.

result.

Thers a simple saying 'theres no smoke without fire' and there is plenty of smoke. If I was a designer I would remove it because it does cause grief - we all know this over many many years of mmorpg experience, and WOW is a prime example of how badly it can go wrong, and quite frankly GW2 does not need a meter + the majoirty dont use meters. The only people who lose out are the minority meter users, and im assuming they have the skill to adapt without a meter!

Theres plenty of smoke from the same two or three people, and my question is how do you know the population of people using DPS meters? You might be surprised by the number of people who actually use them.

Do you really think that do you?

ANDId rather be kicked for having low DPS than for simply playing a class, which was a much larger problem than it is now, and a way bigger problem than a DPS meter ever will be.

or not be kicked for either right.Yes i do, i see the same two or three people posting against DPS meters, the same 2 or three people arguing with you, and random people saying they dont care about having it in game.Except, i used to get kicked from the vast majority of dungeon groups for playing a ranger. They used to be seen as the worst class and thus werent welcome, and this is
DUNGEONS
if we didnt have a DPS meter to show we where moderately usable, wed never get to do any content outside of if we played Druid. Necros would be in this group too, and i think engineers as well.

@Wolfheart.7483 said:

result.

"It" doesn't cause grief. For the last time, I submit to you that the DPS meter displays objective data. Nothing more, nothing less. It does not force someone to behave in a toxic way. They
will

But at this point, it has become readily apparent that neither you nor those so adamantly opposed to the DPS meter will listen to reason. We are simply running in circles. Nothing constructive is manifesting from this so I bid you farewell.

A meter is not objective if it does not give a complete picture - does it measure players intent? does it measure players altrustic decisions? no they do not. objectivity is also based on the observer. You are also wrong that meters dont cause issues, human behaviour changes when observed. Human behaviour can also change as a result of confirmation bias - fed by tools that are specifically designed to compare player performance.

il ask this to people who support meters, does it measure players intent and does it measure players altrustic decision making? Because that's what great gameplay is about, not that you can pump out big numbers.

Meters are purely objective, since feelings, intent etc are what biased opinions are based on. Meters provide pure unbiased highly objective data that encompass every aspect of the encounters that are measurable and are facts of the situation they are used in, nothing more nothing less.

So if player X fails to do Value Y of Role Z, when Value Y is the bare minimum required of that role in that encounter and a decision is made off of that information how is that not purely objective looking at the facts since all Combat Data is conveyed in the Meter not just partial aspects.

@Rhanoa.3960 said:

@Wolfheart.7483 said:

result.

will

@Wolfheart.7483 said:

@Wolfheart.7483 said:

@lmaogg.7325 said:lmao people who tryhard defending the dps meter are similar to those who defend firearm with the reasoning of "Psychopaths will still be psychopaths even without firearm".

Yeap I won't deny that's true. Except the rest of the world who doesn't allow firearm to public have 0 issues with being killed by gunfire randomly nor do we need one. /shrugDone with this pve kitten thread.

There is a world of difference between the two.

Not really. People are still people. The way they think is the same in situations such as this.

K bye.

The basic idea that "guns don't kill people, people kill people" is true. Countries who outlaw guns generally don't do it because they think "guns make people use them badly." They do it because they are trying to protect public safety. DPS meters do not endanger public safety. Guns are
dangerous
objects, DPS meters are not.

But, I'll throw an example out there to counter yours:Back in the 90s there was a huge backlash against violence in video games. Groups who were anti-gaming claimed that violence in video games
caused
people to act violently. If they had gotten their way, you might not even be playing Guild Wars 2, it probably wouldn't exist. The individuals who would commit violent acts after playing a violent video game would have been violent individuals with or without the video game. The violence would not manifest because of a video game. The person committing violence should still be held accountable for their behavior.

Amazing!I have to applaud you on making an argument on completely separate issues that do not relate to one another.
Comparing RL Violence to DPS Meter 3rd party software?
What next? Penguins Survival in Antarctica to 3rd Party software? Is there no end in sight?

I suggest removing combat log altogether as it would end this discussion with the Nail in the coffin.

Look at what he quoted, someone else made that comparison, Wolfheart called them outing the basis that they are in no way similar.

@Rhanoa.3960 said:I suggest removing combat log altogether as it would end this discussion with the Nail in the coffin.

You are hilarious. You seem to want to remove all of the tools, both 3rd party and designed by Anet that allow a player to learn from mistakes and improve their game play.Combat log is a supremely useful tool, that can help you better learn how to play the game. It seems to me that you just don't believe in self improvement, and that is fine, yo do you, we always need a worst case scenario to draw inspiration from.

@BlaqueFyre.5678 said:

@Dante.1763 said:

@Dante.1763 said:

result.

Theres plenty of smoke from the same two or three people, and my question is how do you know the population of people using DPS meters? You might be surprised by the number of people who actually use them.

ANDId rather be kicked for having low DPS than for simply playing a class, which was a much larger problem than it is now, and a way bigger problem than a DPS meter ever will be.

or not be kicked for either right.Yes i do, i see the same two or three people posting against DPS meters, the same 2 or three people arguing with you, and random people saying they dont care about having it in game.Except, i used to get kicked from the vast majority of dungeon groups for playing a ranger. They used to be seen as the worst class and thus werent welcome, and this is
DUNGEONS
if we didnt have a DPS meter to show we where moderately usable, wed never get to do any content outside of if we played Druid. Necros would be in this group too, and i think engineers as well.

@Wolfheart.7483 said:

result.

will

A meter is not objective if it does not give a complete picture - does it measure players intent? does it measure players altrustic decisions? no they do not. objectivity is also based on the observer. You are also wrong that meters dont cause issues, human behaviour changes when observed. Human behaviour can also change as a result of confirmation bias - fed by tools that are specifically designed to compare player performance.

il ask this to people who support meters, does it measure players intent and does it measure players altrustic decision making? Because that's what great gameplay is about, not that you can pump out big numbers.

Meters are purely objective, since feelings, intent etc are what biased opinions are based on. Meters provide pure unbiased highly objective data that encompass every aspect of the encounters that are measurable and are facts of the situation they are used in, nothing more nothing less.

So if player X fails to do Value Y of Role Z, when Value Y is the bare minimum required of that role in that encounter and a decision is made off of that information how is that not purely objective looking at the facts since all Combat Data is conveyed in the Meter not just partial aspects.

16 pages later and it has been explain 16 times more. Your explanation doesn't change anything or convince me or some otherwise.Many of us have been there, done that, and do not want to be subjected to this style of game play or mentality.We already have enough MMOs on the market that cater to your needs.

Whether my DPS is good or not, I simply do not care or want to know about it.

@Rhanoa.3960 said:

@BlaqueFyre.5678 said:

@Dante.1763 said:

@Dante.1763 said:

result.

DUNGEONS

@Wolfheart.7483 said:

result.

will

16 pages later and it has been explain 16 times more. Your explanation doesn't change anything or convince me or some otherwise.Many of us have been there, done that, and do not want to be
subjected
to this style of game play or mentality.We already have enough MMOs on the market that cater to your needs.

Emphasis on subjected. Thank you. Group content is stressful enough without having to worry about being monitored like a hawk.

@VaaCrow.3076 said:

@Rhanoa.3960 said:I suggest removing combat log altogether as it would end this discussion with the Nail in the coffin.

You are hilarious. You seem to want to remove all of the tools, both 3rd party and designed by Anet that allow a player to learn from mistakes and improve their game play.Combat log is a supremely useful tool, that can help you better learn how to play the game. It seems to me that you just don't believe in self improvement, and that is fine, yo do you, we always need a worst case scenario to draw inspiration from.

I am a funny thank you for noticing!I don't want to be Supremely!I am all about always room for improvement, but I don't play VIDEOGAMES for self improvement.

Inspiration? Really? I'm a Daredevil swatting my enemies with a staff and evading their attacks!

@Rhanoa.3960 said:

@BlaqueFyre.5678 said:

@Dante.1763 said:

@Dante.1763 said:

result.

DUNGEONS

@Wolfheart.7483 said:

result.

will

16 pages later and it has been explain 16 times more. Your explanation doesn't change anything or convince me or some otherwise.Many of us have been there, done that, and do not want to be subjected to this style of game play or mentality.We already have enough MMOs on the market that cater to your needs.

I and other players with similar mindset of valuing our time don't have to group with you and others since it is our time and most times we are the ones starting/organizing the groups and have certain expectations, and Meters help visualize the actual facts of the matter and not based on opinion or subjective categories.

Let's look at Raids, Boss X has Y Health, and encounter has Z time, so DPS roles have to meet A DPS at the minimum. Or Support B needs to have Boons C,D,E up Q time at a minimum. Or Players L, M, N, O need to perform R Mechanic but player N always fails to do R Mechanic Etc all based on Objective data.

Then don't join those groups/start your own. Pretty simple.

Again Meters are pure objective data, nothing biased about them.

@Makai.3429 said:

@Rhanoa.3960 said:

@BlaqueFyre.5678 said:

@Dante.1763 said:

@Dante.1763 said:

result.

DUNGEONS

@Wolfheart.7483 said:

result.

will

16 pages later and it has been explain 16 times more. Your explanation doesn't change anything or convince me or some otherwise.Many of us have been there, done that, and do not want to be
subjected
to this style of game play or mentality.We already have enough MMOs on the market that cater to your needs.

Emphasis on subjected. Thank you. Group content is stressful enough without having to worry about being monitored like a hawk.

VIDEOGAMES are stressful?

@Rhanoa.3960 said:

@VaaCrow.3076 said:

I am a funny thank you for noticing!I don't want to be
Supremely!
I am all about always room for improvement, but I don't play VIDEOGAMES for self improvement.

Inspiration? Really? I'm a Daredevil swatting my enemies with a staff and evading their attacks!

Member when this game was fun? The whole self-improvement movement this community has bandied about since HoT amuses me to no end. People like us want to have fun: not everything has to be a decathlon or measurement fight.

@Rhanoa.3960 said:

@Makai.3429 said:

@Rhanoa.3960 said:

@BlaqueFyre.5678 said:

@Dante.1763 said:

@Dante.1763 said:

result.

DUNGEONS

@Wolfheart.7483 said:

result.

will

subjected

Group content in Guild Wars 2 is stressful and infuriating for me, but I've yammered on and on about that subject throughout this thread: tl;dr, the game is full of abelist elitists who refuse to help players that can't reach a certain standard, and as a disabled individual, I am constantly bullied and shamed when I try to do T4 Fractals. When I mention these issues on the forums, the situation just gets worse since no one has empathy in 2017.

@BlaqueFyre.5678 said:

@Rhanoa.3960 said:

@BlaqueFyre.5678 said:

@Dante.1763 said:

@Dante.1763 said:

result.

DUNGEONS

@Wolfheart.7483 said:

result.

will

I and other players with similar mindset don't have to group with you and others since it is our time and most times we are the ones starting/organizing the groups and have certain expectations, and Meters help visualize the actual facts of the matter and not based on opinion or subjective categories.

@Makai.3429 said:

@Rhanoa.3960 said:

@Makai.3429 said:

@Rhanoa.3960 said:

@BlaqueFyre.5678 said:

@Dante.1763 said:

@Dante.1763 said:

result.

DUNGEONS

@Wolfheart.7483 said:

result.

will

subjected

Group content in Guild Wars 2 is stressful and infuriating for me, but I've yammered on and on about that subject throughout this thread: tl;dr, the game is full of abelist elitists who refuse to help players that can't reach a certain standard, and as a disabled individual, I am constantly bullied and shamed when I try to do T4 Fractals. When I mention these issues on the forums, the situation just gets worse since no one has empathy in 2017.

I believe there are more good folks in this game than you originally perceived and I feel many make the right choice not to come on the forums.

There is no need to be stressed out over a game. Look at how far we have come! Going on our 2nd Expac, not only do you get to continue to float and now we got raptors.If anything, it should be exciting to add it to your arsenal!

@Makai.3429 said:The whole self-improvement movement this community has bandied about since HoT amuses me to no end.

It has been in the game since it came out. Soloing Lupi, soloing dungeons, getting to Fractal level 80 when AR only let you survive up to ~40. Even gearing up in all exotics. Improving one's self has always been apart of the game, and since we finally have content that is deserving of the need to have accurate information (dungeons were supposed to be super hard content, but since they were made to be able to be done with any group comp, they were a joke for "hard" content) we need these tools in order to analyze what went on in an encounter.

These aren't DPS meters, they are combat meters. They record EVERYTHING done in a fight.

@Rhanoa.3960 said:

@BlaqueFyre.5678 said:

@Rhanoa.3960 said:

@BlaqueFyre.5678 said:

@Dante.1763 said:

@Dante.1763 said:

result.

DUNGEONS

@Wolfheart.7483 said:

result.

will

I and other players with similar mindset don't have to group with you and others since it is our time and most times we are the ones starting/organizing the groups and have certain expectations, and Meters help visualize the actual facts of the matter and not based on opinion or subjective categories.

@Makai.3429 said:

@Rhanoa.3960 said:

@Makai.3429 said:

@Rhanoa.3960 said:

@BlaqueFyre.5678 said:

@Dante.1763 said:

@Dante.1763 said:

result.

DUNGEONS

@Wolfheart.7483 said:

result.

will

subjected

I believe there are more good folks in this game than you originally perceived and I feel many make the right choice not to come on the forums.

There is no need to be stressed out over a game. Look at how far we have come! Going on our 2nd Expac, not only do you get to continue to float and now we got raptors.If anything, it should be exciting to add it to your arsenal!

Like I said, I'm tired of being demeaned for not being flawless, and the demands the elitists breathe down my neck every time I interact with this game. This community is like middle school all over again where I'm treated like a phantom because I can't run like other kids. I want to make friends and groups in this game, and enjoy it as best I can, and find some way to use my love for teaching and mentoring to help others, but the cruelty and discrimination I have to face on a regular basis has gotten to the point where looking at my Fractal daily page makes me physically ill. Then I get meaningful responses like "lul just quit". Worst, some players think I'm making all this up (what would be the point?).

Thank you for listening to me, and for your kindness. I wish the general community was the same.

@BlaqueFyre.5678 said:

@Rhanoa.3960 said:

@BlaqueFyre.5678 said:

@Dante.1763 said:

@Dante.1763 said:

result.

DUNGEONS

@Wolfheart.7483 said:

result.

will

I and other players with similar mindset of valuing our time don't have to group with you and others since it is our time and most times we are the ones starting/organizing the groups and have certain expectations, and Meters help visualize the actual facts of the matter and not based on opinion or subjective categories.

Let's look at Raids, Boss X has Y Health, and encounter has Z time, so DPS roles have to meet A DPS at the minimum. Or Support B needs to have Boons C,D,E up Q time at a minimum. Or Players L, M, N, O need to perform R Mechanic but player N always fails to do R Mechanic Etc all based on Objective data.

I'm not sold or are you selling me on this. However, thank you for repeating what the other guys have already said, but I prefer my glass of wine half full.

This is an incredibly long thread, but since it's long and a hot topic, I suppose it probably has someone at Anet reading it, so I want to briefly add one more voice to this throng;I support returning to a strict no dps meter policy.In my unscientific and limited viewpoint among the people that I have interacted with, the dps meters have only increased toxicity, and the mature handling of them is the exception not the rule. Build/damage testing on the golem in the aetherdome is sufficient, more so as you can control all applied buffs and the state of the golem.The caveat that I want to add to that, however, is that very hard dps checks are not fun, because they promote and even require the most efficient meta builds and a dps meter to make sure that people are utilizing them at near-peak efficiency. DPS checks in general are fine and fun, but if they are too hard they begin pushing people out being able to complete them (I have a handful of friends that are from NZ and Australia, and have permanent terrible ping) rather than being something that everyone can complete with a little effort.

For whoever isn't Anet that's reading this post:I do "care" - I do enjoy actually completing content, and I enjoy pulling my own weight in a team of people that are also pulling their own weight. I don't appreciate people who want to stand there and not even try as much as the next person. (I could argue more than the next person, since I'm usually willing to teach anyone willing to try, rather than just boot.)But this is also a game. Like most people, I play this to relax, not to have some kind of unpaid job with no reward, value to the community, etc. Neither you nor I deserve to treat something that is meant to be enjoyed in such a strict and overbearing manner. Also, this game, like GW1, was supposed to have build variety. I enjoy experimenting, and MANY of the meta builds are significantly less fun than slightly lesser alternatives that can still get the job done.

@Lillium.6481 said:Also, this game, like GW1, was supposed to have build variety.

Until you remember that once people "solved" the area, the only way to get into groups was to run the META. The meta in GW1 did change depending on the zone, but there was still a meta per zone. For DoA, the meta was 6 channeling rits and 2 healers (a little fuzzy on the healer part), for HoH it was Barrage Pet, for Deep there was a pretty strict set-up, and so on. If you were in DoA and were looking for a group, if you were not meta you were not going to run it. So as awesome as GW1 was for general play, the elite areas (which are equivalent to raids and T4 fractals in this way) all had specific metas if you wanted to find a group to run with easily. At least in GW2 you can prove that your build can hold its own by beating those Meta build on the DPS meter when in PUGs (with good players running meta, you're looking for satisfactory which is fine).

@"vesica tempestas.1563" said:Thers a simple saying 'theres no smoke without fire' and there is plenty of smoke. If I was a designer I would remove it because it does cause grief - we all know this over many many years of mmorpg experience, and WOW is a prime example of how badly it can go wrong, and quite frankly GW2 does not need a meter + the majoirty dont use meters. The only people who lose out are the minority meter users, and im assuming they have the skill to adapt without a meter!

People complain. It's what we do in any situation where we don't get something we want or think we deserve. One problem with ANet addressing complaints is that a lot of people are really bad at analyzing problems. Assuming that the reasons proffered by such people need to be addressed can and have led to developers changing things that will not address the real cause of the peoples' problems. So, no. While we can assume that some players are having a problem (exclusion), we cannot assume that the source of the problem is what the complainers believe it to be.

In this post, you are engaging in appeals to presumed numbers to support your opinion, such as "We all know..." and "majority. Thing is, we don't know. What we do know is that references to meters have been made in situations where people got unhappy about not getting what they wanted. The short history of GW2 offers ample proof that exclusion is not tied to meters, hence meters don't cause exclusion. Those who claim meters increase exclusion are flying in the face of the history of GW2, and thus the burden of proof lies on those making such claims.

There is zero evidence that the majority of players care one way or the other about meters or instanced content. So, there is one minority that wants meters and another that wants them gone. The meter hate group on these boards is small. The group that uses meters is undoubtedly bigger, and if the largest group doesn't care, well, your majority claim is not relevant.

Blaming DPS meter because you cannot get into end game group is like blaming your bathroom scale because you cannot get into a sport team.

@Lillium.6481 said:Also, this game, like GW1, was supposed to have build variety. I enjoy experimenting, and MANY of the meta builds are significantly less fun than slightly lesser alternatives that can still get the job done.

This game, like GW1, does have build variety. You can play a rifle warrior or a pistol engi if you want. But like a firestorm warrior or a longbow necro in GW1, it's bad.
GW1, like this game have what we called then "elite missions". UW, FoE, TopK, Urgoz Warren, The Deep, DoA were all end game content where specific builds were demanded by the community. You could make your own group that didn't require them, exactly like you can do in GW2.

The issue now is that you're allowed to invite yourself in group that don't want you. So they kick you out.The game is made that way and we have to deal with it.

Maybe anet could add a little tag on the LFG announcement like the language flags that says META. So it's clear and people can avoid joining them and get kicked.

@Jarvis.9540 said:This is my umpteenth night in a row dealing with folks shouting at each other (even if it's not always directed at me) over parsed dps numbers in higher-level fractals. I'm really tired of it.

Sorry, but the way Anet designed the game T4 are the current max endgame and DPS meters are useful in refining your strategies.The problem is that PUGs are awful. The only people who PUG are the antisocial, or incompetent.As has been said in the thread, get in a guild, get a set fractal group, and play with them. Don't complain that people are trying to play better.

@Haishao.6851 said:Blaming DPS meter because you cannot get into end game group is like blaming your bathroom scale because you cannot get into a sport team.

@Lillium.6481 said:Also, this game, like GW1, was supposed to have build variety. I enjoy experimenting, and MANY of the meta builds are significantly less fun than slightly lesser alternatives that can still get the job done.

This game, like GW1, does have build variety. You can play a rifle warrior or a pistol engi if you want. But like a firestorm warrior or a longbow necro in GW1, it's bad.

GW1, like this game have what we called then "elite missions" UW, FoE, TopK, Urgoz Warren, The Deep, DoA were all end game content where specific builds were demanded by the community. You could make your own group that didn't require them, exactly like you can do in GW2.

The issue now is that you're allowed to invite yourself in group that don't want you. So they kick you out.The game is made that way and we have to deal with it.

Maybe anet could add a little tag on the LFG announcement like the language flags that says META. So it's clear and people can avoid joining them and get kicked.

Good grief!

The same can be said about why you have a friends list and up 5 guilds to join so you have the option of not listing yourself in LFG.

I imagine with your celebrity status you can easily muster up a good group of your friends whom you can bicker, brag, and measuring each other out.Just stop making excuses, you're just as much responsible for advertising it.

Also, the bathroom scale is pretty lame and insensitive thing to say, I know folks who suffer from overactive thyroid and weight gain.It also insinuates you cannot account for other conditions that may hinder someone's active lifestyle.

I hate DPS meters, I hate the frenetic playstyle they push you towards, I hate the idea that they are permitted and that means if you choose not to use a DPS meter yourself, there is likely someone in your group using one and judging you, even though you made the personal choice not to involve yourself in that type of gameplay.

The reason I left a certain other MMO for GW2 is because I found it relaxing to not constantly have to fight and compete with other players over stuff, DPS included. Before you label me a bad, I was more often than not the top DPS but constantly watching the bars and being on edge, looking for adds to cleave or multidot and trying to burst down low HP targets before other players could etc. made what should be a cooperative game mode feel like a pvp competition and sucks all the enjoyment out of it.

@IndigoSundown.5419 said:

@"vesica tempestas.1563" said:Thers a simple saying 'theres no smoke without fire' and there is plenty of smoke. If I was a designer I would remove it because it does cause grief - we all know this over many many years of mmorpg experience, and WOW is a prime example of how badly it can go wrong, and quite frankly GW2 does not need a meter + the majoirty dont use meters. The only people who lose out are the minority meter users, and im assuming they have the skill to adapt without a meter!

People complain. It's what we do in any situation where we don't get something we want or think we deserve.
One problem with ANet addressing complaints is that a lot of people are really bad at analyzing problems. Assuming that the reasons proffered by such people need to be addressed can and have led to developers changing things that will not address the real cause of the peoples' problems. So, no. While we can assume that some players are having a problem (exclusion), we cannot assume that the source of the problem is what the complainers believe it to be.

In this post, you are engaging in appeals to presumed numbers to support your opinion, such as "We all know..." and "majority. Thing is, we don't know. What we do know is that references to meters have been made in situations where people got unhappy about not getting what they wanted. The short history of GW2 offers ample proof that exclusion is not tied to meters, hence meters don't cause exclusion. Those who claim meters increase exclusion are flying in the face of the history of GW2, and thus the burden of proof lies on those making such claims.

There is zero evidence that the majority of players care one way or the other about meters or instanced content. So, there is one minority that wants meters and another that wants them gone. The meter hate group on these boards is small. The group that uses meters is undoubtedly bigger, and if the largest group doesn't care, well, your majority claim is not relevant.

I love what you did here shooting from the waste down claiming that it is nothing more than an entitlement issue which is far from I DON'T WANT TO KNOW YOUR BUSINESS OR MINE!

There is a huge difference, but I will give you a thumbs up for bring in a new perspective.

Archived