Exotic gear accessibility

54 minutes ago, Strider Pj.2193 said:

On the OP:  berserker armor has been in the game since release.  Vipers, marauder s and the 4 stat gear has been added since the Xpacs.

Fun fact:  I have over 50 of these in my inventory.

https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Warlord's_Armor_Box

Stat selectable, easy to acquire at any point after level 60.  

So.. Your point is its newer so it should cost five times more and be five times harder to get.... Because its newer, just because.

• Like 4
  • Haha 2
  • Confused 1

16 minutes ago, Gibson.4036 said:

As others have pointed out, I'd probably be signficantly richer if I cleaned out my material storage. I rarely sell mats, because I'm never sure what I might discover a use for. According to GWEffciency I'm sitting on another 1.5k gold in materials.

But this is the wealth of having played for six years or so, three after launch and the last three years. You do steadily accumulate gold in GW2, but it takes time if you're not activally seeking it out.

Yes and no. It's actually the wealth accumulated without significant depreciation over 6 years. Many other games let you accumulate wealth, but then take a heavy chunk out of that when introducing expansions which depreciate this in multiple areas. Here, it's a mix and one of the core pillars of the idea that no matter what you do in game, you will get some reward useful to you out of it (which often gets misunderstood as "I can get anything I want from any game mode").

Guild Wars 2 rewards players in materials first, gold second and gear third (a rough estimate by myself just trying to convey a point). This allows far more flexibility in how to make content rewarding, and why for example Dirzzlewood yields such good wealth/hour, without tying it to specific rewards like specific gear. At the same time, it's also one of the reasons why content can feel so unrewarding because you are not rewarded directly with the item/gear you might desire but instead have to convert your gained rewards into the desired items. The "low" liquid gold rewards paired with a necessity to covert rewards into gold via the TP (with takes a cut in form of taxation of the gold), and in combination with the gem-gold exchange, is what keeps the inflation in check as well as material values relevant (mostly).

Edited by Cyninja.2954
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

Just now, Dante.1508 said:

So.. Your point is its newer so it should cost five times more and be five times harder to get.... Because its newer, just because.

No.  The point is, newer items tend to be more expensive as the game threw the first few types at us for the first three years of the game.  And people sold it back.

Add to that: stat selectable is EASY to obtain.  People just don’t want to do it.  Which I get…. But saying it’s hard is flat out wrong.  

Oh, the method I suggested would allow you to obtain all of those stats for essentially free.  Yes. Free.  

• Like 2
  • Confused 2

4 minutes ago, Strider Pj.2193 said:

No.  The point is, newer items tend to be more expensive as the game threw the first few types at us for the first three years of the game.  And people sold it back.

Add to that: stat selectable is EASY to obtain.  People just don’t want to do it.  Which I get…. But saying it’s hard is flat out wrong.  

Oh, the method I suggested would allow you to obtain all of those stats for essentially free.  Yes. Free.  

No the point is Anets gone crazy with the grind, some where after Southsun Anet decided everything needs to be stupidly hard to get for no real reason.

Even if the items are useless to most everyone.. Cough Turtle.. and a plethora of stat gear.

Edited by Dante.1508
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 3

Just now, Dante.1508 said:

No the point is Anets gone crazy with the grind, some where after Southsun Anet decided everything needs to be stupidly hard to get for no real reason.

Gotta disagree…. It isn’t hard.

Long, Grindy maybe.  possibly even obnoxious.

Hard?  No.  

• Like 3
  • Confused 4

20 minutes ago, kharmin.7683 said:

So, it's not about exotic gear, then?  It's about sigils/runes?

It's not about anything. I'm not the one that started this thread. How many times do I have to repeat myself that I'm not the one complaining about getting gear in this game...I'm just talking about how it compares to other games because someone else mentioned other games before I did. 

I'll say it again...I'm ok with getting stat-select gear in VB and/or crafting it. And I use builds that thankfully require cheaper sigils/runes (for the most part)(krait, pack, traveler, balthazar, etc).

Edited by DragonMoon.6098
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Well to be fair, I feel like by now the exotics associated with expansions should probably be stat selectable. No point in giving people what can be found all over the place.  They made a good step in making many stats now tradable but it could be better.

Ascended  has been available for like 9 years or something, so for the game to be that stingy with exotics is a bit much. Especially in your newest content. Like why would I be thrilled to get stats that I could have gotten in Orr in 2012? Ok, it's salvageable, but ehh.

I have legendary armor, and wouldn't even think of equipping an exotic anything these days and I still think this should be the case.

Also while we're on this, is Jeweler the eternal meme?

5 hours ago, Strider Pj.2193 said:

On the OP:  berserker armor has been in the game since release.  Vipers, marauder s and the 4 stat gear has been added since the Xpacs.

Fun fact:  I have over 50 of these in my inventory.

https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Warlord's_Armor_Box

Stat selectable, easy to acquire at any point after level 60.  

I actually do not consider these to be a viable option unless one actually likes WvW. 6 weeks to get a single set of exotic is horrific and just shows how outdated WvW's reward structure is.

I can get these every week since I usually get to diamond but I wouldn't recommend them for everyone , except to get maybe the last 1 or 2 pieces.

Even on my alt account these things were too slow. I believe I got 2 pieces and one triumphant, and just got Halloween Armor for the rest. (Note: it was Halloween though)  And I started WvW in that account since level 50 lol.

So even  with no expansions, the armor was barely passable. (Granted I sent like 100 gold over but even if I had no gold, I still wouldn't gear with them much). I also had used some of it to craft to reach level 80 ASAP  so that already inflated the need.

Not to mention the difference between Diamond rank on my main vs nothing on a new account is massive.

Edited by ArchonWing.9480
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, ArchonWing.9480 said:

Well to be fair, I feel like by now the exotics associated with expansions should probably be stat selectable. No point in giving people what can be found all over the place.  They made a good step in making many stats now tradable but it could be better.

Ascended  has been available for like 9 years or something, so for the game to be that stingy with exotics is a bit much. Especially in your newest content. Like why would I be thrilled to get stats that I could have gotten in Orr in 2012? Ok, it's salvageable, but ehh.

I have legendary armor, and wouldn't even think of equipping an exotic anything these days and I still think this should be the case.

Also while we're on this, is Jeweler the eternal meme?

I actually do not consider these to be a viable option unless one actually likes WvW. 6 weeks to get a single set of exotic is horrific and just shows how outdated WvW's reward structure is.

I can get these every week since I usually get to diamond but I wouldn't recommend them for everyone , except to get maybe the last 1 or 2 pieces.

Even on my alt account these things were too slow. I believe I got 2 pieces and one triumphant, and just got Halloween Armor for the rest. (Note: it was Halloween though)  And I started WvW in that account since level 50 lol.

So even  with no expansions, the armor was barely passable. (Granted I sent like 100 gold over but even if I had no gold, I still wouldn't gear with them much). I also had used some of it to craft to reach level 80 ASAP  so that already inflated the need.

Not to mention the difference between Diamond rank on my main vs nothing on a new account is massive.

If you choose the triumphant armor reward track you also get a box every 6ish hours of game play.  So, easily two per week.  Possibly three if you play out.  

Again, it’s not ‘fast’ (that is done via gold and farming materials), but it is simple and easy.  3 pieces of stat selectable per week.  Full set in two weeks.  

• Confused 4

18 minutes ago, Strider Pj.2193 said:

If you choose the triumphant armor reward track you also get a box every 6ish hours of game play.  So, easily two per week.  Possibly three if you play out.  

It's 8 hours. Just playing WvW. Unless you use boosters, but just for exotic armor, that seems to be a lot of investment.

18 minutes ago, Strider Pj.2193 said:

Again, it’s not ‘fast’ (that is done via gold and farming materials), but it is simple and easy.  3 pieces of stat selectable per week.  Full set in two weeks.  

Yes, but you have to understand exotics are basically entry level gear so speed matters a lot.

An experienced WvWer could get away with less than exotics, but your non-wvwer is not going to have very much fun if they have to play that much just to even start the game mode and even less should they fail to keep up with a zerg or whatnot.

It's also opportunity cost; like they could do almost anything in pve and get it faster than 6 weeks ; and maybe even ascended armor if they go into the right places.

It's fine if you want to make WvW your main game mode where you can treat these as extras to get your alt, but to the person that just wants to get geared up to do  strikes  or low fractals, that's just not acceptable.

My point is that it's just like 2 different games, and WvW was like frozen in time. (not as bad as dungeons mind you, but still)

It's just the same problem with the issue OP posted about EOD : Why would you go so far out in late endgame and put effort just to get core stats that aren't even the best?

edit: I guess they could sell Memories of Battle too.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Strider Pj.2193 said:

Plus the ability to get ascended pieces via skirmish tickets earned during the same time period. 

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

6 hours ago, Strider Pj.2193 said:

A large percentage of customers don't even like WvW and never once step in there.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 2
  • Sad 1

I agree with the fact that PvP/WvW armor boxes aren't a solution. Its nice to outfit alts when you like that mode but not to gear yourself. But reducing the cost solves nothing. Exotic armor isn´t pricey. Its is dirt cheap. The problem seems that a handful off stat combinations are normal priced. Sure we could reduce the cost of these but as the cost problem is only a problem in perception we would sit here in halve a year why ascended armor is so expensive. And in 2 years we start our character with full ascended. Its an Rpg and gear progression should be part of the gameplay.

The only real cost factor in crafting exotic armor is hardened Leather and you should get enough of these to supply yourself. If you wanna very specific stats pick up crafting. If you rather sell the leather to get gold, well it doesn't bring you any gold if we decrease the value of exotic armor. That's why we shouldn't demand game changes for all our personal annoyances. 

If you suggest we reduce the fax seed cost for the newer stats, so some exotic stats don't have an High tax for being new stats, that would be a little more reasonable. Exotic gear has a base cost of  7-8 gold when you craft and a such is the value for Specific gear and I see no good reason to changed that. You can always run cheap suboptimal gear. Just because the meta build sides show you full sets nobody is stopping you from running 2 Vipers and 4 grieving if you wanna go cheap.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 2

On 5/4/2022 at 6:29 AM, kharmin.7683 said:

Is this serious?  GW2 throws gold at you.  I'm a filthy casual and am sitting on over 1300g right now from just playing the game.  Casually.

Lol.  You're going to have to define what casual is because  I'm more casual than you.  Since picking up the game 2 months ago (7 year break), I'm -20g.  I started with 265g and am down to 245g.  And I went at it, everyday 8-12 hours for 2 months, just playing the  game, casually.  Mapping and story content only.  No instancing or organzined group content.  Just solo.

I was able to craft 3ish sets of exotic armor.  Heavy Maruader, Clerics, and a mishmash of leather armor for my engi and ranger that  say equals 1 set of armor.  I also crafted 2 ascended weapons.  kitten, those are a grind!  The grind is primarily is in basic t2-t4 materials and some select t5 mats like silk, thick leather (the game rains down on you mithril ore and  elder wood).  For basic t6 materials, the only one in short supply is hardened leather, the others are not a issue.  Now, for non basic mats, yes, you are going to have to buy them off the trading post because you will never ever ever ever farm enough of those as a casual.  For example ebony orbs or barbed thorns for marauders insignia.  You aint farming that casually.  Ironically, ebony orbs are kittening cheap as sin and no where to be found during my play sessions.  I have 2.

Now, to be fair on why I'm -25g.  I got 2 hardlight drops, a dagger and scepter, from I'm guessing that super adventure thing that went on.  Or i dunno, they just dropped in the open world and I can sell them for 100g.  But I rarely, rarely use the trading post.  Rare being defined as in almost never.  Like, i hate myself for having had to buy 100 bolts of silk to make a spool of silk weaving thread yesterday.  And I didnt even need it, im just trying to craft those daily time gated mats to prep for ascended crafting.  And when i say hate myself, i mean i feel dirty, disgusting, just all around hateful of myself for having had to trade my time in the game against the trading-post.  I'll only buy something off the trading post when I know its going to take me a lot of time to farm AND that item is cheap; for example - ebony orbs.  If the item is expensive, i just do without.

Am i a casual player?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 3

11 hours ago, Strider Pj.2193 said:

Ok….,  It’s still an easy way to get stat selectable armor.  

How is it easy? i'm level 11 in wvw out of 9 years in Gw2, i have my warclaw but never went back, how is it easy for me to get all this Ascended armor..

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 2
  • Confused 2

1 hour ago, Dante.1508 said:

How is it easy? i'm level 11 in wvw out of 9 years in Gw2, i have my warclaw but never went back, how is it easy for me to get all this Ascended armor..

How you go into wvw cap a camp every 10 mins and you will have a box in time.

Faster if you pop som reward track boosts. should have plent laying around from all the login reward black lion boxes.

7 hours ago, Dante.1508 said:

How is it easy? i'm level 11 in wvw out of 9 years in Gw2, i have my warclaw but never went back, how is it easy for me to get all this Ascended armor

Whoa whoa. Slow down there buddy. We are talking about exotics. The strongest gear in the game obviously takes time.

https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Warbeast_armor_(medium) Is 8g a piece and able to select most stats. Some very specific gear is a little more expensive. 70% of the stats are under a gold. That is 2 pieces of the second best gear just for logging in and doing dailies. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c9SxZwC6V5U

There is a video for Budget Condi willbender geared for 10 g. That is $0.63 if you buy the gold. How much more cheaper do you want your gear?

If you invest time in crafting and recipe collecting you are set.

You can get a full armor set of the second best armor in them game for 2 hours of farming. How much more easy should it get?

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

On 4/28/2022 at 11:57 PM, Albi.7250 said:

Most gear is under a gold? Prices for exotic gear were never lower.

This, at least in spirit of the question it answers (new players catching up).

One trick is, which I luckily found (back then), crafted gear is actually one of the more expensive options. My 80 is using a berserker set, Nika's I think. Searching by stats is the way to go. It was a bit pricier back then, but still maybe 20g for the full set. Accessories were super cheap later.

Collecting appearances or trying to be self-sufficient while pursuing 500 in crafting is another story.

• Haha 1

12 hours ago, Dante.1508 said:

As others mentioned, they were referring to stat-selectable exotic armor.

As for ascended gear: after 9 (!) years of playing GW2, you should have enough materials to craft your own ascended sets of armor and weapons if you don't play any of the game modes that can provide you with ascended gear (namely Strike Missions, Raids, Fractals, PvP/WvW).

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 3

16 hours ago, Albi.7250 said:

Whoa whoa. Slow down there buddy. We are talking about exotics. The strongest gear in the game obviously takes time.

Hmm, yea ascended doesn't really enter this topic.

Although they did bring up a point that I had suggested earlier and that is some people just won't play WvW and this is why I just don't recommend that as an option knowing they're just not going to.

But even if people are interested in WvW somewhat, I still would not since all the options you listed are just far more efficient.

The only time I would ever suggest WvW for gearing is

They don't like PvP or raids.

or

They really like WvW.

AND

They want legendary armor.

In that case, they can progress by getting the stat selectable ascended armor along the way. However, due to the high cost of Memories of Battle, this is the only cost efficient method.

Going for the WvW ascended with no intent of going for legendary is a very bad idea, since the Memories of Battle cost by itself is almost as much as crafting ascended armor. So even if someone was diligent enough to wait 67 weeks (yes, this is not a meme) ) to get all those "free" grandmaster shards, it's a horrific idea.

You would be infinitely better off selling Memories of Battle and just crafting it normally.

I suppose if you absolutely hated doing open world pve and would not grind any of the new maps for a second this may be a thing.

Well, maybe for the skin, but then that would be way off topic.

edit : Well, 20 slot bags are not too bad to buy in WvW though.

edit 2: Back when Memories of Battle were cheap, I bought the higher tier skin because it didn't cost any marks.  Sadly this is no longer viable.

• Like 1

On 5/6/2022 at 12:26 PM, Linken.6345 said:

How you go into wvw cap a camp every 10 mins and you will have a box in time.

Faster if you pop som reward track boosts. should have plent laying around from all the login reward black lion boxes.

In no time equals 20min? a day? a week? a month? a Year? Bare in mind 20 mins in there is like pulling teeth while sliding down a 30 foot razor blade edge...

On 5/6/2022 at 6:51 PM, Albi.7250 said:

https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Warbeast_armor_(medium) Is 8g a piece and able to select most stats. Some very specific gear is a little more expensive. 70% of the stats are under a gold. That is 2 pieces of the second best gear just for logging in and doing dailies. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c9SxZwC6V5U

There is a video for Budget Condi willbender geared for 10 g. That is $0.63 if you buy the gold. How much more cheaper do you want your gear?

If you invest time in crafting and recipe collecting you are set.

You can get a full armor set of the second best armor in them game for 2 hours of farming. How much more easy should it get?

Actually check again most Exotic Gear is over a gold per piece.

Edited by Dante.1508
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1