The Skyscale Quest Line Is WAY Too Grindy, And Insulting [Merged]

Would love for the "hidden collections" mounts to be immediately available like in PoF/EoD, and then the mastery track unlocked stage by stage for each collection done.
Give people a taste, and tease them into doing more of it, "hey u alrdy have this, just do A and you get B, and once u get B, do X and u get Y" etc.
And if anyone complains about needing to do them 1 by 1, hit them with the "we had to do ALL of it sequentially for Skyscale, cudnt even do the collections all at once like Griffon".

Edit:
To clarify, somebody below mentioned something about Skyscale process being similar to Leg Wep crafting, which is kinda true but not, since you dont really get Precursor items during Skyscale collection, my idea is to simply make it even more similar, locking out mastery track functions like midair remounting and rift crossing.
So if you did the first 2 Skyscale collections for example, you get the base mount/Precursor but nothing else, you gotta do the full thing to get the Skyscale/Legendary, there is no such thing as making it easier, just slightly more accessible, and you get rewarded for each stage instead of going thru all 5 to get, as ppl like to put it "completely not worth the time".

Edited by MercurialKuroSludge.8974
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

39 minutes ago, Godfather.9058 said:

Raids, meta events, fractals, dungeons, jumping puzzles, guild missions, story, map completion.

Even guild missions were more fun than the skyscale grind because of the company.

A lot of the skyscale stuff fits in jumping puzzles, map completion, and meta events, though?

I’ve actually been through the process twice, once solo to get mine, and once just to accompany someone else and keep him company along the way. It’s possible to do it as a group activity.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 2

1 hour ago, Godfather.9058 said:

1.7k hours here. Never got my skyscale. I don't think I ever will. I looked at what you have to do in order to get it, rolled my eyes and said "nope".

2.76K hours.  Two sets of ascended armor and 10 or so ascended weapons.

No legendaries.  Not even going to attempt.  I get purple items dropping all the time.  I just put them in the bank; why not.

Never done a strike or raids.  Don't want the drama.

Around 425g.  (just saving to craft my last set of ascended armor when I get the last 40pts finished in tailoring)

Nope not even buying that griffon for 250g.

Roller beetle.  Have no clue how to unlock it.

Skyscale.  Have no clue how to even go about getting that. Seems kinda pointless.

I enjoy unranked pvp and running my 10 characters through different open world stuff.  I like trying new builds with exotic gear.  Dont really even use my ascended armor much.

Edited by America.9437
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 6
  • Sad 1

I don't feel its appropriate to demand stuff just be made easier to obtain. this is the endgame stuff. the best you can get. the struggle is the journey.

I lump the skyscale in with other endgame content, stuff that should take weeks to gather. the skyscale is a very gentle introduction into the world of legendary crafting in gw2. it gives you unrivaled mobility, and the difficulty to get it reflects that.

if you don't like it, just avoid it. I personally don't appreciate players asking gw2 devs to bend the knee. I hope honestly they give these threads a little glance, and then print & pin it to the office throwing dart board. =p

Edited by SinisterSeven.2781
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 2
  • Confused 2

I finished the skyscale collection yesterday. I honestly don't think it was that bad. After that, I did the dragonfall meta twice to get the masteries, and now my skyscale is fully upgraded.

I did the collection slowly over time, focusing mainly on doing T4 fractal dailies, doing HoT metas, and playing PvP. I don't really get what people are crying about.

• Like 6

43 minutes ago, Godfather.9058 said:

Raids, meta events, fractals, dungeons, jumping puzzles, guild missions, story, map completion.

Even guild missions were more fun than the skyscale grind because of the company.

So you do the content needed here, but because there is the equivalent of checkmarks in the achievement panel in the form of collection, it's suddenly bad and you'd rather not do it at all than chip at the collection bit by bit? Welp, can't say I understand where you're coming from with that, but still a valid decision to make for yourself.

• Like 1
  • Confused 2

3 minutes ago, America.9437 said:

2.76K hours.  Two sets of ascended armor and 10 or so ascended weapons.

No legendaries.  Not even going to attempt.  I get purple items dropping all the time.  I just put them in the bank; why not.

Never done a strike or raids.  Don't want the drama.

Around 425g.  (just saving to craft my last set of ascended armor when I get the last 40pts finished in tailoring)

Nope not even buying that griffon for 250g.

Roller beetle.  Have no clue how to unlock it.

Skyscale.  Have no clue how to even go about getting that. Seems kinda pointless.

I enjoy unranked pvp and running my 10 characters through different open world stuff.  I like trying new builds with exotic gear.  Dont really even use my ascended armor much.

Totally support you in not needing the skyscale.

The roller beetle and gryphon are super easy to get, though. Gryphons downside is just that 250 gold. And both are joys to use. I’d go as far as to call the gryphon one of the highlights of GW2.

• Like 2
  • Confused 2

2 minutes ago, Gibson.4036 said:

Totally support you in not needing the skyscale.

The roller beetle and gryphon are super easy to get, though. Gryphons downside is just that 250 gold. And both are joys to use. I’d go as far as to call the gryphon one of the highlights of GW2.

Ill collect the eggs because its nice challenging fun exploratory content for me.  But no.  Im not spending 250 gold on a mount.  Not gonna do it.  Nope.  Id rather just give Anet $20, go buy a skin for roleplay reasons and go about playing openworld stuff like a noob with 2.76k hours.  I hardly ever use the wiki unless its to find out how much of a grind something is.  Then I nope out.  If the wiki shows simple efforts, ill take the simple rewards.

• Confused 6
  • Sad 1

4 minutes ago, America.9437 said:

Ill collect the eggs because its nice challenging fun exploratory content for me.  But no.  Im not spending 250 gold on a mount.  Not gonna do it.  Nope.  Id rather just give Anet $20, go buy a skin for roleplay reasons and go about playing openworld stuff like a noob with 2.76k hours.  I hardly ever use the wiki unless its to find out how much of a grind something is.  Then I nope out.  If the wiki shows simple efforts, ill take the simple rewards.

That’s cool. You know what you enjoy, and GW2 is much better at allowing players to follow their bliss than most MMOs.

250g is only about $12 though. 😄

Edited by Gibson.4036
  • Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

3 minutes ago, Gibson.4036 said:

That’s cool. You know what you enjoy, and GW2 is much better at allowing players to follow their bliss than most MMOs.

250g is only about $12 though. 😄

LoL.  250g could be 10 cents and I still wouldn't do the transaction.  Although I did find 5 cents in the parking lot yesterday. Yeah.  I picked it up.

• Haha 1
  • Confused 3
  • Sad 1

12 hours ago, Sobx.1758 said:

So you do the content needed here, but because there is the equivalent of checkmarks in the achievement panel in the form of collection, it's suddenly bad and you'd rather not do it at all than chip at the collection bit by bit? Welp, can't say I understand where you're coming from with that, but still a valid decision to make for yourself.

Pretty much. I hate games of "Simon Says". I boot up Guild Wars 2 and do whatever I feel like in the moment. If I find it boring I stop doing it.

Tarkov is another example. Many years ago quests (just games of "Simon Says" really) were not that important and could be mostly ignored. So I played it in a more sandbox style like GW 2. Now, quests are pretty much mandatory to get anything done. The whole gameplay loop can be described as "Simon Says" nowadays. So I stopped playing completely.

• Confused 3

Gonna post again:

Skyscale is a capstone mount. It is a prestige mount. Attaining it is actually supposed to mean something. And furthermore, the quests to get it are a fairly charming side story about raising your own--the steps to get it are content in themselves.

This thread has no real purpose other than to dilute a game that tries to give gravity to end game achievements with hypercasual laziness.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 3
  • Confused 2

4 hours ago, Zenfooki.2034 said:

Yes and it was infinitely more enjoyable than “run around this island and collect scales, medicine, and eggs.”

Well i was really pissed about the amount of timegated mats needed for the collections, as i wanted to do it all by myself. Well patience is a virtue, but not for me, ended up buying that deldrimor kitten.

Skyscale was just a straight forward one week commitment for a fulltime working dad. I enjoyed the story far more than for the legendary weapon.

But i guess people are different and thats ok and good. 

• Like 4
  • Sad 1

43 minutes ago, Batalix.2873 said:

Gonna post again:

Skyscale is a capstone mount. It is a prestige mount. Attaining it is actually supposed to mean something. And furthermore, the quests to get it are a fairly charming side story about raising your own--the steps to get it are content in themselves.

This thread has no real purpose other than to dilute a game that tries to give gravity to end game achievements with hypercasual laziness.

Right...

When people are asking for a more interesting way to get the mount (not visiting the map 3x times , in a time-gate manner) , they are lazy .....

• Thanks 2
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 5

1 hour ago, asket.5674 said:

Well i was really pissed about the amount of timegated mats needed for the collections, as i wanted to do it all by myself. Well patience is a virtue, but not for me, ended up buying that deldrimor kitten.

Skyscale was just a straight forward one week commitment for a fulltime working dad. I enjoyed the story far more than for the legendary weapon.

But i guess people are different and thats ok and good. 

I enjoyed scales/eggs/medicine.

Meteor farming for Vision... wow that was ridiculous. I did it for a little while, then gave up and bought the rest of the rose quartz.

• Like 1
  • Confused 2

1 hour ago, Woof.8246 said:

Right...

When people are asking for a more interesting way to get the mount (not visiting the map 3x times , in a time-gate manner) , they are lazy .....

And people are also asking for it to be given or sold in the gemstore.

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, Gibson.4036 said:

Personally, I could do with cutting one of the tours of Dragonfall down/out. Running around the zone for the third time seemed pretty tedious. I did it and it's fine. But being sent out for the third time for a pointless scavenger hunt seemed a bit unnecessary. I enjoyed most of the rest of the collections. at least after that they varied a bit. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Gibson.4036 said:

Meteor farming for Vision... wow that was ridiculous. I did it for a little while, then gave up and bought the rest of the rose quartz.

Haha, what really drove me crazy was the mursaat token collection. Oh boy. Ended up doing the chalice JP 3 times.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 1

Just now, Andifulated.3482 said:

At least you could progress the skyscale collection without having to wait for events to complete (or in some rare cases, fail).

We could create events (rolling beetle), rather than having to repeat the same process 3x times

• Like 2
  • Confused 7
  • Sad 1

• 3 weeks later...
26 minutes ago, Zenfooki.2034 said:

And then you hit a completely unnecessary timegate (literal timer) for no reason other than dragging this quest chain out. 

The timegate was initially one day between.  The intention behind this mount was to not have to do everything all at once.  You could do everything up to the timegate, then go play anything else.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2
  • Sad 1