Would you like content retroactively added to old maps?

Yeah, I'd like a system added that brings players back to all zones. I play lots of games and I see the most potential in systems such as the uniques from path of exile and the mythic excavation from elder scrolls online.

Uniques are fun things to hunt down and play around with. They make the game feel different for each unique you get and try out. Adding a twist to how something works and usually implentment a curse to balance things out. Even if such a thing was only useable in the pve zones it would be great.

Mythics in eso are the same thing but they are gotten from finding pieces spread across all the zones. Every old zone has it's own specific mythic pieces to find. That way every time they add new mythics to the game they can just add pieces to whatever specfiic zones don't see much traffic. And it brings people into the zones very well.

There is no limits to what an mmorpg can do with it's pve. GW2 seems scared to step out of it's comfort zone of local NPC mini games and map currency farming for cosmetics.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1

The more there are new maps, the more undermanned they all are. I've been at failed Tequatl first time in my life recently. Octovine was abandoned entirely. Triple Wurm was getting attempts to gather ppl on a Teamspeak, without success.

If that continues, massive server merges are the only [temporary] solution and Anet is planning an another expansion, with maps! So yeah, I am all pro for making new events on older maps to make them more surprising and attract more players.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1

15 minutes ago, paShadoWn.5723 said:

...If that continues, massive server merges are the only [temporary] solution ...

The servers are already merged in PvE. WvW is the only place that servers matter. Look up "megaserver" on the wiki.

• Confused 1

18 minutes ago, paShadoWn.5723 said:

The more there are new maps, the more undermanned they all are. I've been at failed Tequatl first time in my life recently. Octovine was abandoned entirely. Triple Wurm was getting attempts to gather ppl on a Teamspeak, without success.

If that continues, massive server merges are the only [temporary] solution and Anet is planning an another expansion, with maps! So yeah, I am all pro for making new events on older maps to make them more surprising and attract more players.

Yea you were on overflow shards and thats why it failed.

Anet dont have normal servers in pve its all mega servers so a new shard is opened up when the first one fills up.

Maybe you were on shard 5 and there were 4 others that did both teq and octovine just fine.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

When Flame and Frost was first released, I loved they added new areas to old maps. Same when Dry Top launched and added a new part of Brisban Wildlands. I see a great potential here, as it does not take much resources, yet adds something very new but still very familiar. Should you explore the old maps you can find many neary finished unaccesible areas which could be very easily brought to life. My favourite is Deserted Coast (it even has an official name!) NW in Dragon Stand, it has it´s own sea like weather (rain, waves). It could be very easily added as a fishing spot (which would be cool as DS has nearly no fishing watter).

• Haha 1

28 minutes ago, Lord Korag.8439 said:

I see a great potential here, as it does not take much resources, yet adds something very new but still very familiar.

We have no idea the resources available and/or needed to make this kind of change. 

I would prefer those resources be spent elsewhere.

Like other people have said in the past , a PvP reward track could help  as rewards.

For example using  the Sunqua Peak intro jumping area (pieces of the map that are scattered) , and apply them to  core areas .

1/4 of the map will be lifted in the air (just use existed assets like towns -castles to become the battlefield) by a random elder dragon or Balthazar (assuming Core is "stuck in time") and recreate the HoT end meta or replace Marrionet with Bathazar .

The rest of the map is covered is black mist that kills anything .

Increase the map cap (no need for megaserver) , and force them to attack from 3 sides (or more if enough people) . Or a cluster of 4 core maps will get under attack (corrupted) in the same time and the middle one will be the Megaserver -different instances-pro guilds should activate a "mote" and the fate of that core map is up to them .

If you fail to do a mechanic on your cluster (5x) of  lifted  islands , then some areas are destroyed - covered in a black mist-cannot be interacted (they offer daily potions that increase the pvp reward track) .

If 2 out of 3 groups  their "south island" is destroyed (fail to do the mechanic) , the corruption will move to the southern Core maps.

If they all succeed (or don't fail in the same direction)  then an random  World Boss (up to this point they don't have a timer)  will be enabled.

The system chooses for the first  time a Core world Boss . And in the second time chooses 2 boss : a) from  HoT or PoF  + b) from  EoD(in case they don't have previous expanions)

If the Boss is killed , a "corrupted seed" is thrown to a random Core map .

̶R̶a̶n̶d̶o̶m̶ ̶p̶l̶a̶y̶e̶r̶ ̶w̶i̶l̶l̶ ̶g̶e̶t̶ ̶a̶ ̶m̶e̶s̶s̶a̶g̶e̶ ̶t̶o̶ ̶d̶o̶ ̶e̶v̶e̶n̶t̶s̶ ̶a̶s̶ ̶f̶a̶r̶ ̶a̶w̶a̶y̶ ̶ ̶f̶r̶o̶m̶ ̶t̶h̶e̶ ̶c̶e̶n̶t̶e̶r̶ ̶o̶f̶ ̶t̶h̶e̶ ̶c̶o̶r̶r̶u̶p̶t̶e̶d̶ ̶a̶r̶e̶a̶s̶ ̶,̶ ̶o̶r̶ ̶a̶n̶y̶ ̶o̶t̶h̶e̶r̶ ̶i̶n̶s̶t̶a̶n̶c̶e̶ ̶o̶f̶ ̶s̶e̶m̶i̶-̶c̶o̶r̶r̶u̶p̶t̶e̶d̶ ̶a̶r̶e̶a̶s̶ ̶ ̶o̶f̶ ̶o̶t̶h̶e̶r̶ ̶s̶o̶l̶o̶ ̶-̶p̶l̶a̶y̶e̶r̶s̶̶,̶ ̶s̶p̶r̶e̶a̶d̶i̶n̶g̶ ̶u̶n̶i̶n̶t̶e̶n̶t̶i̶o̶n̶a̶l̶l̶y̶ ̶t̶h̶e̶ ̶c̶o̶r̶r̶u̶p̶t̶i̶o̶n̶ ̶.̶
̶S̶e̶m̶i̶ ̶c̶o̶r̶r̶u̶p̶t̶e̶d̶ ̶a̶r̶e̶a̶s̶ ̶c̶a̶n̶ ̶b̶e̶ ̶s̶a̶v̶e̶d̶ ̶b̶y̶ ̶s̶o̶l̶o̶ ̶p̶l̶a̶y̶e̶r̶  ̶(̶e̶l̶i̶t̶e̶s̶ ̶h̶a̶v̶e̶n̶'̶t̶ ̶s̶p̶a̶w̶n̶)̶ ̶a̶n̶d̶ ̶t̶h̶e̶y̶ ̶g̶a̶i̶n̶ ̶r̶e̶w̶a̶r̶d̶s̶ ̶ ̶t̶r̶a̶c̶k̶s̶ ̶.̶ ̶B̶u̶t̶ ̶i̶f̶ ̶n̶o̶n̶e̶ ̶g̶o̶e̶s̶ ̶t̶h̶e̶m̶ ̶t̶h̶e̶y̶ ̶i̶n̶f̶e̶c̶t̶ ̶o̶t̶h̶e̶r̶ ̶nearby a̶r̶e̶a̶s̶ ̶t̶o̶o̶ ̶.̶

Edited by Luci.7018
  • Confused 1

After playing some new low level characters on old maps, I guess I'd throw a caution about "high level" stuff on the starter maps. After doing the awakened invaders quite a bit and seeing a lot of downed players, I wonder how good those are for newbies to encounter. I haven't participated in any of the legendary outlaws (or whatever they're called), so don't know if those are seeing similar results.

Maybe they are good, showing newbies that there is challenging stuff out there. Maybe they are discouraging, I dunno. At least you get some decent loot for the amount of effort invested.

On 5/5/2022 at 10:55 AM, Rasimir.6239 said:

Judging from what I've seen on the forums over the years, for every person asking "give me a reason to go back to old maps" there's another person complaining "why do you force me to go back to old maps".

GW2 is actually doing quite a bit of re-using old maps and environments. EoD for example has collections that send you back to basegame maps, collecting flowers, finding npc to get specific information, and so on. Legendary trinket collections, when they were introduced, required people to go back to all maps of the related living world season to do different things. All the way back to season 2 events were added to old maps, e.g. the mordrem events in the Iron Marches.

In the end it comes down to the question why you want new content in old maps. We already see different approaches in this thread:

• somebody is looking for incentive to visit old maps
  • somebody loves playing old maps on alts and such
  • somebody loves the environments of low-level maps but would prefer to play them as max-level maps
  • somebody generally prefers new maps to old maps
  • somebody is concerned with maxed-out characters getting in the way of lower-level/non-maxed characters

GW2 has always worked on the premise of "the whole game is endgame", so you are free to (re-)visit all maps, and there's usually relevant things to do all over the place. Striking the balance of new environment vs. new task in old environment for as many players as possible is something only the devs can figure out, but from what we've seen over the years, I'm pretty confident that we will keep finding new stuff to spice up old maps.

Well said, couldn't agree more.  I am pretty happy the way Anet does this.  I agree with a previous poster that I would like to see adventures and griffon rides added to old maps, but I am of the "I like to revisit old Maps"kind. 🙂