[deleted]

They do react to reports. I had a poor attempt for a humored character name including a word for passing gas 👀 I had to choose a new name for it when I logged back in. (Lessen learned, point taken) Your reports does get checked out, but they won’t tell you if they did something to it. It might just be a warning or 3 days ban. 

• Like 6
  • Haha 4
  • Confused 3

I had to rename many of my characters because I used the name of a specific Mexican cactus as the surname for those characters.

Yet, the Poppy flower seems to be fine to use in character names, despite also being used to create abusable substances.

That's the extend of my ingame experience with the game's moderation.

Edited by Fueki.4753
  • Like 2
  • Haha 3

It's funny you mention gta. I've had a few friends give me loads and loads of money through modding and I've never once been banned. I have everything you could ever want in-game and still have millions. To my knowledge none of them have been banned as well. All 4 of us are day 1 PC players when Rockstar finally ported to PC. 

I'm pretty sure GTA mods only ban molders that negatively effect other people's games. 

Would be funny to see how many shark cards they've sold on PC vs how many on the consoles where modding doesn't really exist as prevalent. 

But back to gw2, I don't think they have ever banned for profanity here, hence why they have chat filters. They need to bring back DHUUMM BANS FROM GW1

• Like 2
  • Haha 4

57 minutes ago, memausz.7264 said:

It's not the typical f-bomb.... it's the BANNABLE gamer word, dude.  

Sounds like the filter needs updating then if there are highly offensive words not being caught by it.

Specially ones that would be considered bannable offences.

• Confused 4

9 minutes ago, Teratus.2859 said:

Sounds like the filter needs updating then if there are highly offensive words not being caught by it.

Specially ones that would be considered bannable offences.

Filters are not all that effective as people tend to find ways to bypass them.

• Like 5
  • Confused 2

1 hour ago, mythical.6315 said:

Filters are not all that effective as people tend to find ways to bypass them.

There's no good reason to do that though, unless you are actively trying to abuse someone and I would agree that it should be a punishable offence if you intentionally try to subvert the filter to send someone abuse.

So long as people are not maliciously and intentionally abusing other people, then they should be free to swear as much as they like without fear of punishment.

And those who dislike such language can and should utilize the tools provided to them to remove such language from their experience.. the filter and block features mainly.

Report tool too should someone decide to cross the line.

• Like 4
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 6

1 hour ago, Teratus.2859 said:

they should be free to swear as much as they like without fear of punishment.

14 minutes ago, Dante.1508 said:

there is a filter in the options, i suggest you use it if your delicate sensibilities are being thrown off.

If the OP is correct about racial slurs being thrown around, then the people using them should absolutely be punished and it has nothing to do with chat filters or other people being 'delicate'. If you can't behave yourself in public, then either you shouldn't be in public or you should expect the rules to be enforced against you 100% of the time.

Apart from that, if you see someone behaving in a suspicious or disruptive manner, the best thing you can do is file a report either in-game or through the support website and allow staff to assess and handle the situation (Sometimes this is a slower process than you might like, but I've seen it get done). The worst thing you can do is make excuses for bad behavior.

• Thanks 9
  • Confused 3

1 hour ago, Teratus.2859 said:

So long as people are not maliciously and intentionally abusing other people, then they should be free to swear as much as they like without fear of punishment.

That's your opinion but you'd likely run the risk of getting in trouble in game.

• Like 3
  • Confused 1

48 minutes ago, AgentMoore.9453 said:

If the OP is correct about racial slurs being thrown around, then the people using them should absolutely be punished and it has nothing to do with chat filters or other people being 'delicate'. If you can't behave yourself in public, then either you shouldn't be in public or you should expect the rules to be enforced against you 100% of the time.

I've no doubt they are on occasion.

Racial Slurs and Swearing are two completely different things though and the former is almost always used in the context of abuse.

Swearing is far more multi faceted and while it too can be used for abuse it can and is used in many other ways, most commonly for expression, humour and entertainment purposes.

If there are Racial slurs getting passed the filter though then Anet needs to look into that and fix it.

41 minutes ago, mythical.6315 said:

That's your opinion but you'd likely run the risk of getting in trouble in game.

Depends on where and what profanity is used but generally yes you're probably right.

Naturally it's best to avoid it in map chat but there are plenty of guilds that don't mind it, groups and squads tend not to mind it either especially when it's funny.

Like getting blown up by a mechanic and launched off a platform and dropping a comically timed profanity before you fall to your death.

Or in pre gliding and mounts Gw2 days when someone tries to jump into water and misses then tops it off with a funny profanity.

A lot of people tend to find stuff like that really amusing, even those with filters on can enjoy those kinds of situations. 

Whenever I do catch someone else using profanity in the map chat though it's often met with amusement rather than anger and it's rarely abusive profanity which is good.

Still you'll always get that one guy from time to time.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 3

14 minutes ago, Teratus.2859 said:

Depends on where and what profanity is used but generally yes you're probably right.

Naturally it's best to avoid it in map chat but there are plenty of guilds that don't mind it, groups and squads tend not to mind it either especially when it's funny.

Like getting blown up by a mechanic and launched off a platform and dropping a comically timed profanity before you fall to your death.

Or in pre gliding and mounts Gw2 days when someone tries to jump into water and misses then tops it off with a funny profanity.

A lot of people tend to find stuff like that really amusing, even those with filters on can enjoy those kinds of situations. 

Whenever I do catch someone else using profanity in the map chat though it's often met with amusement rather than anger and it's rarely abusive profanity which is good.

Still you'll always get that one guy from time to time.

Exactly.  I remember them saying at one point that the occasional swearing is tolerable but someone going around and saying it all the time would be actioned against.  Where that line is is unknown, and likely subjective from GM to GM, so it's always better to err on the side of caution.  I personally can be upset about something in game but I don't necessarily have to type it out and share it with everyone, for example.

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

14 hours ago, mythical.6315 said:

Exactly.  I remember them saying at one point that the occasional swearing is tolerable but someone going around and saying it all the time would be actioned against.  Where that line is is unknown, and likely subjective from GM to GM, so it's always better to err on the side of caution.  I personally can be upset about something in game but I don't necessarily have to type it out and share it with everyone, for example.

Absolutely ^^

If anything getting angry and swearing your head off in chat about it is a fast track to getting mocked and blocked lol

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 5/8/2022 at 4:57 AM, memausz.7264 said:

2) Players with trademark usernames and character names (another violation) whom I report don't get their names changed

This one seems pretty petty. Kinda seems like you just go around reporting everyone like you're some sort of mall cop. 😆

• Haha 3
  • Confused 3

I guess I must be showing my age in not knowing what a "gamer word" is, lol. 

I've never seen any racial slurs being dropped in chat, but I tend to not sit in hubs just chatting. The worst I've seen was someone being kitten over another person advertising a women-only guild as a safe-haven for girl gamers. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

I once read on map chat of Auric Basin that some players got suspended because they were trolling by putting merchants, portals, etc. over the chests (after meta is complete).

I don´t know if that is true, but would be nice.

• Haha 1