Warrior or Guardian

I already have Ranger and Necro to 80. I will be doing a Revenant, but first I want to do another heavy armor class. It will be a female Norn.

The problem is I'm struggling to decide between Warrior and Guardian. I understand they are two different playstyles and Guardian does have a bit more diversity. I enjoy condi based Guardian with sword and torch, but I also enjoy dual axe wielding Warrior.

Looking at some of the forums I'm reading that Warrior isn't in the best of places right now in relation to group content. Some posts even say that it is a dead class. Is that true? If I go warrior will it end up sitting there and becoming a 'crafting alt'? On Guardian will I be expected to play heal/boon (If you're relying on me to heal we're all going to die)?

Or should I just skip this and start playing a revenant (either female Norn or Sylvari for HoT content)?

warrior can be very useful in group content and boss fight ,  cus of the banners ...

also in PVP bezerker warrior is one of the top damage classes ,  if you like PVP mode.

Guardian is more support class , for providing sustain boon and heal the group but also it can do a good decent damage ,  but keep in mind he's not the top meta healing class if your looking for support classes

my advice , try both classes in PVP content with all the weapons choices then decide ,  even when starting new character @ level 1  you can try all the traits skills and weapon builds in PVP for free

• Haha 2
  • Confused 1

TL,DR: For me, guardian is stronger and more versatile, can go pretty much anywhere and work in every game mode. Warrior is more niche, but I find it more fun to play.

Long version:

I have about 150 hrs on Guard and Rev, and recently started playing War with about 40 hours now. Guard was my second character, and I will say is probably the one of the my characters that I find the least "fun" to play. I found playing core fairly dull, and while DH and FB are definitely better, I still don't find myself actively "wanting" to play this profession. However, having said that, this is undoubtedly my go to class if I am going to have to carry a group, or do difficult content solo. Guard has a top tier or near top tier build for pretty much every role in every game mode. If you are looking for a character that you can effectively main, this is probably the better choice. However, it may not be the one you have the most fun with. In addition to open world, I have also used DH in PvP, core in WvW, and FB in fractals effectively. Willbender is basically one of the best things to be able to play in PvP right now, but can feel a bit squishy in open world.

Rev was my fourth character, and is probably the one I have the most fun with. It is definitely less diverse, and you have less flexibility in what you play and how you play it, but I tend to like it quite a lot. I find this a nice middle ground between the complexity of a Firebrand for example, and the relative simplicity of Berserker. I have mostly played as Power Herald in PvP and open world, as well as a little bit of fractaling. I have also tried vindicator in PvP, but haven't quite gotten it yet. I know renegade is reasonably useful in instanced PvE content as well.

I only recently started playing Warrior, and have really enjoyed it. I have started with berserker and am working on learning bladesworn. My experience so far is that, although fun, this profession is definitely less versatile and simpler than the other two, and I have felt myself running into the profession limitations from time to time. Especially in instanced PvE, where you need to give up one or two utility skills for banners, it can feel a bit like you don't have many options to do what you want. That said, I have done a lot of fractals with dps zerker, which has been smooth and fun, and condi zerker in pvp, which has been less smooth and a bit of a learning curve. Generally, this feels like the least complex one of the three to use effectively in PvE, and sometimes I wish it had an additional few class skills to use. This may be an area where playing Bladesworn helps, but I haven't learnt enough about playing this spec to know.

In addition to the above, I do want to mention that the devs have indicated that there will be a change to the way banners work in the June balance patch. From what I understand, banners will be reduced to 5 target (currently ten, meaning a full strike group), which is meant to reduce the demand that warriors playing that type of content have to play banners. Further, warriors will apparently be able to give quickness in some way. It's unfortunately hard to say how this will impact playing warrior.

My suggestion is that if you want a class that you can play anywhere in anything, Guardian is probably a better bet at the moment. However, if this is more of an additional character for you that you may want to play for fun, Warrior isn't a bad option, and will work for most levels of play in most content.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Nabs.7391 said:

Looking at some of the forums I'm reading that Warrior isn't in the best of places right now in relation to group content. Some posts even say that it is a dead class. Is that true?

Warrior underperforms in every game mode. All it brings for group play is the unique effects of their banners (those effects may be removed with the upcoming banner rework).  But it's not dead. There still are a handful of dedicated Warrior mains. And then there are people like me, who technically main something else, but keep coming back for Warrior.

Guardian on the other hand excels in every game mode. So, if you want to play something effective, Guardian is the best choice and Warrior is the worst choice.

But, in my opinion, Warrior is more fun than Guardian. That's why it's very sad that Arenanet neglects Warrior so much.

Edited by Fueki.4753
  • Like 1

Warrior lack gameplay diversity for group content and will probably only really be welcome in 10 man PvE group content until the summer update. After that, it'll be up to what the devs will cook up.

Guardian do have a diversity of gameplay available for all content that the game offer... Ah... It's not that great for jumping puzzles, that's kind of it's only flaw right now.

1 hour ago, Dadnir.5038 said:

Warrior lack gameplay diversity for group content and will probably only really be welcome in 10 man PvE group content until the summer update. After that, it'll be up to what the devs will cook up.

Guardian do have a diversity of gameplay available for all content that the game offer... Ah... It's not that great for jumping puzzles, that's kind of it's only flaw right now.

What's wrong with Guardian and JPs? 🤔

2 hours ago, Mungo Zen.9364 said:

Expect these to be changed/nerfed along with Ranger Spirits June 28th with the Profession balance patch.  

I don't think it's going to be a nerf. The problem with spirits and banners is that's their only real purpose. I would look for it as a buff, to make the classes more desired.

• Haha 1
  • Confused 1

Guardian is probably the most versatile profession in the game and no you wont be forced to play healer. Allthough having a dps/quickness boon support will get you much more spots than just pure dps.

Dont get me wrong healing and healing/quickness firebrand is also build in high demand. 

Warrior is in a good spot right now because banners. Especially in 10 man groups. But thats pretty much all it has. Well great cc but thats not so uncommon. And banners are due for rework. So who knows what will come out of that.

The thing I like about warrior (power berserker) is that its easy to play. You plant those banners and hack with axes. Not much to it, easy rotation if you can call it like that. Switch to maces for great cc without much worry about messing up. High hp pool so can take an extra hit or 2.

2 hours ago, IrishPotato.6327 said:

I don't think it's going to be a nerf. The problem with spirits and banners is that's their only real purpose. I would look for it as a buff, to make the classes more desired.

Expect them to be changed they wont just add on quickness on banners and alac on spirits in addition to the other buffs mate.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, IrishPotato.6327 said:

11 minutes ago, Linken.6345 said:

Expect them to be changed they wont just add on quickness on banners and alac on spirits in addition to the other buffs mate.

If the goal is to homogenize roles then banners and spirits will need to be changed in a way that doesn't make them required for a 5 or 10 man group.  We already know they wanted to change banners and spirits away from 10 target buffs, and they want to remove the requirement for 'bannerslaves' so I doubt the existing banners and spirits just get Quick or Alac added without some form of nerfs to them.

Put another way, if they just added Quick and/or Alac to the Bannerslave, then bannerslaves would be the strongest meta choice for group play over other Quick or Alac providers.  That totally defeats the proposed changes Anet outlined earlier this year.

20 hours ago, Nabs.7391 said:

The problem is I'm struggling to decide between Warrior and Guardian. I understand they are two different playstyles and Guardian does have a bit more diversity. I enjoy condi based Guardian with sword and torch, but I also enjoy dual axe wielding Warrior.

Firebrand gets a (mainhand) Axe. So you can play Guardian and enjoy the Axe/Torch life.