Lack of good low intensity leveling guides

The reason is that almost any skill/talent/gear build you put together works in open world levelling. They have made levelling so fast now that there isn't much point to focusing on getting a certain gear stats because you will outlevel it very quickly. Aside from using another character to craft a full set of berserker gear every 10 levels or so,  just use whatever skills you like and whatever gear you pick up is the easiest low intensity levelling guide.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

1 minute ago, kokocabana.8153 said:

The reason is that almost any skill/talent/gear build you put together works in open world levelling. They have made levelling so fast now that there isn't much point to focusing on getting a certain gear stats because you will outlevel it very quickly. Aside from using another character to craft a full set of berserker gear every 10 levels or so,  just use whatever skills you like and whatever gear you pick up is the easiest low intensity levelling guide.

i love the ranger class and am trying to figure out what utilities i can use to not have to press so many buttons. maybe 2-3 buttons is my max i can do comfortably

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 3

Core beastmastery ranger with longbow always seemed to work fine for levelling. Just use sic'em and bow 2 on cooldown and go to town with it. And just fill everything else with signets or whatever. And once you care enough you can upgrade it to soulbeast and add flavor to the build.

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, xxcaretakerxx.4813 said:

i love the ranger class and am trying to figure out what utilities i can use to not have to press so many buttons. maybe 2-3 buttons is my max i can do comfortably

You want to look for passive effect ones in that case.  Signets, I think for Ranger?  They have an active effect when you choose to use it (which stops the passive effect until the cooldown is over), but you only situationally use them.

However, it's going to be hard to be effective if you don't use all your resources.  I understand the urge to have fewer, slower button presses -- it's one reason I love Reaper on Necromancer, as I am low-reflexes middle aged with tendonitis -- but unless it's a physical limitation on your part you may want to start folding in more skill use.  Just one new thing at a time, get to really know what it does and when it's useful to fire it off, how it works with the other bits you know.

If it's an issue with having to move and use utilities at the same time, I suggest trying out a mouse with side buttons and mapping those to the movement keys.  Don't need a zillion side buttons, my Naga ... not Hex now, the new one, Trinity? that I put the Hex style side plate on? ... has just seven thumb buttons and I use four of them.  Just enough to split up movement and skills so you can tap just one key at a time.

Just some ideas in the hope that something helps.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

Go on YouTube and look up Mukluk.  He has a playlist of videos he recently created of low effort builds.  Although, I don't really think there are any guides specifically for leveling.  Most of the time it doesn't matter as you can pretty much just mash skills.

Edited by mythical.6315
  • Like 1

I agree with using signets for utilities at first because it simplifies your rotation until you are comfortable with replacing them with more active ones.

The thing to remember with utilities is that you don't need to always pick ones that are offensive focused. I generally keep one that is used only in certain situations like a condition cleanser or a CC skill to break a bosses' defiance bar. You can save your builds and swap quickly between them outside of combat.

I don't know if you are using default keybinds for your skills, but I do recommend changing them. I like keeping skills 1 to 5 close and easy to press since those are the ones you will use most. I personally use the thumb mouse button for skill 1 where I can click a lot to spam easily. Mousewheel button for 2, Q for 3, E for 4, R for 5, G for heal, 1-3 for utilities, and shift + R for ulti.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, xxcaretakerxx.4813 said:

and this is my first character so i dont have the luxury of crafting gear every 10 levels

The first 2 Mystic Coins you get from daily login rewards should cover nearly all leveling gear needs if you stick to blues and greens every 5-10 levels.

Otherwise simply sell what you gather from low level gathering nodes, especially wood. Should make enough silver for any leveling blues and greens.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, xxcaretakerxx.4813 said:

Chucking axes at things always seems to work. Add up Sic Em, Signets of the Hunt and Wild, any heal you fancy, and do some skirmishing and wilderness and beastmastery.

• Like 1

Leveling guide?

Without even talking about profession doing map completion and hopping from event to event net you all the experience you can need to level up quickly in PvE. In fact you can probably even reach level max by simply doing easy events on a single map (the loot will more or less match your level anyway).

Elementalist: Equip a staff, take glyphs of lesser elemental and you can even just stay in fire.

Engineer: Just bombkit everything.

Guardian: The lowest intensity build is probably hammer traited for symbols. No sweat, just buldoze through PvE.

Mesmer: Unfortunately, you need to be a bit nervous for most things with this profession, I don't think there really is a low intensity build available for leveling but maybe I'm wrong.

Necromancer: Staff + minion.

Ranger: Take a devourer, a bow and just be coherent with your build. Should work well enough.

Revenant: Sw/Sw, life leeching trait in devastation traitline and shiro as a legend. Should work well enough.

Thief: Dagger/Pistol, use pistol#5 to blind mobs and just AA to kill them (just don't waste initiative on anything else).

Warrior: you should probably focus on sustain tools with the warrior shield, healing signet, endure pain and even the crappy defense traitline (for adrenal health) are probably the best tools for a low intensity leveling experience. Just don't try to eat more than you can chew.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Dadnir.5038 said:

Leveling guide?

Without even talking about profession doing map completion and hopping from event to event net you all the experience you can need to level up quickly in PvE. In fact you can probably even reach level max by simply doing easy events on a single map (the loot will more or less match your level anyway).

Elementalist: Equip a staff, take glyphs of lesser elemental and you can even just stay in fire.

Engineer: Just bombkit everything.

Guardian: The lowest intensity build is probably hammer traited for symbols. No sweat, just buldoze through PvE.

Mesmer: Unfortunately, you need to be a bit nervous for most things with this profession, I don't think there really is a low intensity build available for leveling but maybe I'm wrong.

Necromancer: Staff + minion.

Ranger: Take a devourer, a bow and just be coherent with your build. Should work well enough.

Revenant: Sw/Sw, life leeching trait in devastation traitline and shiro as a legend. Should work well enough.

Thief: Dagger/Pistol, use pistol#5 to blind mobs and just AA to kill them (just don't waste initiative on anything else).

Warrior: you should probably focus on sustain tools with the warrior shield, healing signet, endure pain and even the crappy defense traitline (for adrenal health) are probably the best tools for a low intensity leveling experience. Just don't try to eat more than you can chew.

so with ranger how do i get the pet listed being a human?

53 minutes ago, xxcaretakerxx.4813 said:

You just go to charr land. I think you can find the pet in the charr capital within the ruins. However, you can also use the spider if you are a human, it might be easier to find. I'm not very fond of the spider but it's still a ranged pet and thus hit a bit more reliably than most core pets.

• Thanks 1

Really, use whichever pet you want. One advantage of a melee pet is that they often tank for you. Try out different ones. As you travel, watch for any juvenile critters, and charm them. 

I don't like how the devourers "tunnel" and the spider's poison area skill is so slow it can miss quite often.

This level 1-80 period is really provided for you to explore the game and your character and figure out how it all works. Take the time to try different weapons, skills, pets, and traits (once unlocked).

• Like 1

13 hours ago, xxcaretakerxx.4813 said:

I have noticed all guides are end game. is there any leveling guides that are low intensity or is that just not possible?

Thief double pistol. Press 3. Trait first critical Strikes for 5% less damage but piercing. Keep pressing 3. That is as low intensity as it can get.

I'm serious here. Thief double pistol is so good it invalidates all other weapon choices till 80. Luckily the animation is cool😎.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

12 hours ago, Albi.7250 said:

Thief double pistol. Press 3. Trait first critical Strikes for 5% less damage but piercing. Keep pressing 3. That is as low intensity as it can get.

I'm serious here. Thief double pistol is so good it invalidates all other weapon choices till 80. Luckily the animation is cool😎.

Yup, as an added bonus: the blind from the thief pistol 5 field makes nearly all classic enemies harmless, except for dredge which are immune to blind. Sword+Pistol was what I used on my thief 10 years ago and just auto attacked everything to detah without taking damage.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

On 5/12/2022 at 9:45 AM, xxcaretakerxx.4813 said:

Just in case you don't know this already, rangers can charm pets to add them to their pet menu.  When you see one with green lettering called a "juvenile <animalname>" you can press the action key (mine is the end key, I think the default is F?) to see if it will let you charm it.  If you've already got it, you won't get the option to charm it again.

Devourers are in Ascalon, I think there are some not from from where you come out of the Black Citadel, in the area where the egg collection event happens.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1