Interview with NCsoft global CEO about Gw2 & Future games!

Hey guys, a little transcription about the latest interview with NCsoft CEO about Gw2 & other NCsoft projects:

I was wondering if there are future plans for a Guild Wars 2 mobile game and the progress of the game?

Regarding a new mobile game under Guild Wars 2 IP, we are currently working in the release of Expansion packs and more. But we do have plans to use Gw2 IP in the long term. NCsoft West is taking the lead with some plans, but we cannot reveal any details just yet.

What about new projects like "TL" and the future quarters?

We have done great in the first quarter of this year, sellings in Foreign countries have gone up by 200% (EU/NA..). However we see the next quarter as a transition path, getting some kind of stability in sales aswell as working on our future projects.

"Project TL" has plans to go out in the last quarter of this year as a global launch (PC/Steam/PS5/Xbox..). We know that MMORPGS are not the trending games in the west, however we wanna get significant results with our new games, not just try it. There is a will to make this happen, and even tho theres some concern about the P2W features, we want to change this structure to a "Play to win" feature. We wanna become the first company to break prejudices about Korean games.

What other games are in the way?

Theres a total of 7 games planned to launch from half-end this year till the end of 2023. Those includes: project TL, Lineage W, Project R, Aion 2, Project E, BM, B&S S...

(Some weird information about adding some kind of NFTs to Lineage W)

Project TL: Trailer

Interview in Korean: https://www.thisisgame.com/webzine/news/nboard/4/?n=149282 (Date: Friday, 13th of May 2022)

Edited by Izzy.2951
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 3
  • Haha 1

Thanks for posting this. 🙂

4 hours ago, Izzy.2951 said:

I was wondering if there are future plans for a Guild Wars 2 mobile game and the progress of the game?

Regarding a new mobile game under Guild Wars 2 IP, we are currently working in the release of Expansion packs and more. But we do have plans to use Gw2 IP in the long term. NCsoft West is taking the lead with some plans, but we cannot reveal any details just yet.

That sounds like a no to me. I think if their long-term plans had included a GW2 mobile game he wouldn't have been so evasive about it. Hopefully it means they're focusing on more content for GW2 itself (we already know a 4th expansion is planned) but that doesn't sound exciting to investors and they're not ready to give any details so he's being vague.

I'd like to read the entire thing, but can't read Korean.

Edited by Danikat.8537
  • Like 4
  • Confused 1

17 hours ago, Danikat.8537 said:

Thanks for posting this. 🙂

That sounds like a no to me. I think if their long-term plans had included a GW2 mobile game he wouldn't have been so evasive about it. Hopefully it means they're focusing on more content for GW2 itself (we already know a 4th expansion is planned) but that doesn't sound exciting to investors and they're not ready to give any details so he's being vague.

I'd like to read the entire thing, but can't read Korean.

You are not missing anything! all the "important" stuff is translated on this post. The other is just specific stuff about other projects and quarter sales.

And about the mobile game idk... maybe they have plans for it or no. Or maybe for consoles. Theres no confirmation in the interview, neither denying it.

Edited by Izzy.2951
  • Like 1
  • Confused 1

22 hours ago, Izzy.2951 said:

There is a will to make this happen, and even tho theres some concern about the P2W features, we want to change this structure to a "Play to win" feature. We wanna become the first company to break prejudices about Korean games.

Are they saying that they are pro-P2W and that they want to break other gaming markets of their prejudice against this element of Korean games?

• Confused 4

1 hour ago, Oriens.5630 said:

Are they saying that they are pro-P2W and that they want to break other gaming markets of their prejudice against this element of Korean games?

No, I think they are saying they want to break the stereotype view of Korean games being Pay to Win. I believe their system will likely be similar to Guild Wars 2, since it walks the fine line with its Gem - Gold conversion.

• Like 3

On 5/15/2022 at 8:01 AM, Izzy.2951 said:

There is a will to make this happen, and even tho theres some concern about the P2W features, we want to change this structure to a "Play to win" feature. We wanna become the first company to break prejudices about Korean games.

lol.

Will never happen. Who'd believe a scammer saying he won't scam people?

• Haha 1
  • Confused 3

9 hours ago, Oriens.5630 said:

i think you misread it, because its saying exact opposite. its saying that they want to change pay to win to play to win

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

40 minutes ago, Mutisija.5017 said:

i think you misread it, because its saying exact opposite. its saying that they want to change pay to win to play to win

I misread it at first too. But yeah, I think it's saying they want to break the stereotype by publishing a Korean-made game in the west which isn't pay-to-win.

It's interesting he's presenting that as a new thing, when to my mind pay-to-win games are a relatively new invention and pLay-to-win is the default. But I suppose this info is mainly aimed at investors, or potential investors, and for some reason companies always have to act like what they're doing is new and innovative in those situations. Probably so it sounds like it could be the Next Big Thing and you should definitely buy stocks now while you can.

39 minutes ago, Gibson.4036 said:

Well, you know the quote that is attibuted to P. T. Barnum.

I don't, and Google is suggesting either "no one ever made a difference by being like everyone else" or "the noblest art is that of making others happy" (neither of which seems to fit here), or lists of 30+ quotes. The guys job was basically over-hyping stuff, he'll have come out with a lot of memorable lines. Could you be a bit more specific?

• Like 2

Oh ok, so what they are saying is that the concern only cashshop being P2W compared to normal gear is a non-issue, they want to not only have them purchaseable but you can also get them if you play 1000 hours instead.

That's what I get out of Korean "play to win". 

And also you need to keep playing for 5 hours daily or the gear will vanish.

And optionally spend cashshop currency to avoid spending time on the daily hours.

Edited by Dawdler.8521
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 3

On 5/15/2022 at 1:01 AM, Izzy.2951 said:

Hey guys, a little transcription about the latest interview with NCsoft CEO about Gw2 & other NCsoft projects:

I'm kind of interested in aion 2. I remember the first one back before gw2 was released. So many years to get a number 2 out. But I hear the original aion still have a lot of players. BTW the original aion is first mmo to have underwater swimming if I remember right. Its been a very long time.

1 hour ago, Dawdler.8521 said:

Oh ok, so what they are saying is that the concern only cashshop being P2W compared to normal gear is a non-issue, they want to not only have them purchaseable but you can also get them if you play 1000 hours instead.

That's what I get out of Korean "play to win". 

And also you need to keep playing for 5 hours daily or the gear will vanish.

And optionally spend cashshop currency to avoid spending time on the daily hours.

For once I have to agree with you. 

37 minutes ago, charrboiledeggs.8164 said:

I'm kind of interested in aion 2. I remember the first one back before gw2 was released. So many years to get a number 2 out. But I hear the original aion still have a lot of players. BTW the original aion is first mmo to have underwater swimming if I remember right. Its been a very long time.

Aion was fun until and including 4.6. Afterwards, the game went downhill really fast with an ever increasing gear treadmill and ever increasing P2W monetization. Starting from 6.0, NCSoft predominantly released recycled and dumbed down content. I'm certainly not looking forward to Aion 2 - especially since it will probably be a mobile game anyway. If not that, it will most likely fail as spectacularly as Blade & Soul 2 - even their home market was mad about how aggressively monetized that game was. Aion didn't have underwater swimming. Aions schtick was flying.

6 hours ago, Danikat.8537 said:

I don't, and Google is suggesting either "no one ever made a difference by being like everyone else" or "the noblest art is that of making others happy" (neither of which seems to fit here), or lists of 30+ quotes. The guys job was basically over-hyping stuff, he'll have come out with a lot of memorable lines. Could you be a bit more specific?

There's a sucker born every minute.

Sorry to be so obscure. I thought it was universal, but apparently not.

As others have said, it's likely he didn't orginate it, but most people attribute it to him.

Edited by Gibson.4036