The Infinite Fishing Lure

1 hour ago, Lottie.5370 said:

It's not designed to be "worth it" from a monetary standpoint, it's designed to be a QoL item - the same as infinite gathering tools. You're likely never going to pay the cost off, you're not supposed to.

Exactly...it's for those who hate carrying things that take up space in their bags.  I hate having stacks of lures and bait.  I don't like having to stop at vendors.  It's a matter of convenience.  

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

Through lack of planning, I have run out of lures at inopportune times, so like the other gathering tools not a bad, if expensive, idea.. But while I would have seriously considered this had they released from the onset, or at least weeks ago, at this stage unless there is new content to suggest continued motivation, I'm not sure that there will be enough time spent fishing to justify at this point.  Thinking that more people may have jumped on this with an earlier release. 

• Haha 1
  • Sad 1

23 minutes ago, Farohna.6247 said:

Exactly...it's for those who hate carrying things that take up space in their bags.  I hate having stacks of lures and bait.  I don't like having to stop at vendors.  It's a matter of convenience.  

Arent you already stopping at a vendor to pick up bait anyway? If the lure is not relieving you from needing to visit the vendor, where is the convenience?

• Like 2
  • Thanks 3
  • Sad 1

3 minutes ago, Ashen.2907 said:

Arent you already stopping at a vendor to pick up bait anyway? If the lure is not relieving you from needing to visit the vendor, where is the convenience?

Good point.  I guess from my perspective, it's having a high fishing stack while chasing down those last couple of fish, and running out of lures... Mind you at that point, I guess the loss of a 100 FP is probably not significant anyway... 

• Sad 1

53 minutes ago, Ashen.2907 said:

Mostly because the jade and amber ones aren't sold at every vendor, like if I'm on a map and need bait.  I rotate through the baits accordingly, so I don't seem to just go through stacks of them as fast?  Mind you I'd love a tackle box to keep those in order too.  I'll concede the convenience point and just consider it a personal dislike of used bag spaces.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

34 minutes ago, Farohna.6247 said:

Mostly because the jade and amber ones aren't sold at every vendor, like if I'm on a map and need bait.  I rotate through the baits accordingly, so I don't seem to just go through stacks of them as fast?  Mind you I'd love a tackle box to keep those in order too.  I'll concede the convenience point and just consider it a personal dislike of used bag spaces.

Solid points.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

Just now, Linken.6345 said:

And you can fish without bait but not without lure.

Is that a particularly good idea? And are people willing to spend gems on fishing likely to do so?

All a matter of preference of course, I just like to do some closer examination of return for money spent and these seem fairly low in that regard compared to other "convenience" items.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, Lan Deathrider.5910 said:

2: You can stack jars of bait for large amounts of each type of bait as needed (except for Mackerel)

You can, but the trouble with this is that if you open one of the jars in order to go after a fish and wind up with leftovers, you're now using two inventory spaces (as you can't sell leftover bait or do anything with it apart from deletion). What I do - and what seems popular among people I've polled - is keep a stack of each type of bait in my inventory, topping it off whenever I'm near a relevant bait vendor. This may mean that I visit vendors more often, but it usually happens naturally as I transition between regions working on various fishing collections and it means I don't sacrifice two inventory spots to the same item. YMMV.

Now, I've had a good sleep to think the subject over, and I think ArenaNet's missing (one of) the obvious solution(s) here which is to add an accountwide tacklebox for bait. Infinite gathering tools don't require fuel (which is what bait is for fishing), they are a plug-and-play deal which means that moving them between characters (while annoying) is fairly simple. You shift them over to an alt and bam: you're harvesting, mining, or logging. You move your infinite lure over to an alt and you then have to go get bait all over again (unless your goal is low-tier fish). If their intention was for fishing to be like gathering and for the infinite lure to be like an infinite gathering tool, then they still have work to do to make those features equivalent.

Fishing, being an account mastery and heralded as a flagship expansion feature, should be something you can level up and then access with relative ease across all of your characters. Not only would this feel good from the player perspective, but it'd give people a stronger reason to buy something like the infinite lure and rod skins from the shop. Not only this but, if the pricepoint and convenience offered are balanced, people may well buy these things multiple times to suit their various characters as they currently do with mount and Skiff skins (which, you guessed it, are plug-and-play masteries).

Fishing can (and should) be monetized, but they've only got half the equation going right now.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1

6 hours ago, Antycypator.9874 said:

Wait, what? Seriously? Can I actually catch more than 1 fish using Gathering Booster?

33% chance for extra gather from the node so you can a node 4 times instead of 3. Useful on maps that do not have much nodes like Plains of Ashford.

7 minutes ago, AgentMoore.9453 said:

Now, I've had a good sleep to think the subject over, and I think ArenaNet's missing (one of) the obvious solution(s) here which is to add an accountwide tacklebox for bait. Infinite gathering tools don't require fuel (which is what bait is for fishing), they are a plug-and-play deal which means that moving them between characters (while annoying) is fairly simple. You shift them over to an alt and bam: you're harvesting, mining, or logging. You move your infinite lure over to an alt and you then have to go get bait all over again (unless your goal is low-tier fish). If their intention was for fishing to be like gathering and for the infinite lure to be like an infinite gathering tool, then they still have work to do to make those features equivalent.

Legendary lure 🙂

Edited by Khisanth.2948
  • Like 1
  • Sad 1

9 minutes ago, Khisanth.2948 said:

Legendary lure 🙂

This would be a lure in the legendary armory with max fishing power that could be used by any character on an account, yes? I'd support that, but seeing as they won't give us legendary gathering tools, my hope for such a thing is pretty limited. Maybe one day... 🎣

• Confused 1

On 5/17/2022 at 9:23 PM, Adzekul.3104 said:

800 gems (260ish gold at the time I write this) is an absolutely ludicrous price for this. Shame on you Arenanet for this! It should be 50-100 gems maximum AND it should be an unlock for the entire account (like legendary items in the Legendary Armoury). Who in the world needs anything close (in orders of magnitude) to 100 thousand fishing lures (see Reddit for the math).

Wrong.

Infinite tools are far from 100gold each. The lure is just another tool. Price is correct.

Don't forget that you get an infinite fishing rod for free already 🙂

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1