DX11 thingy stutters a lot

I haven't had stutter but I do get a sort of clear ripple across my screen when panning the camera now.  Also a few times while playing GW2 -- and not while doing anything else -- my computer's fan has gone into jet engine mode, which I don't recall it doing until this past week or two.  I would like my computer to last another year at least, so I'm slightly (very slightly) concerned.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Mostly ok for me but get occasional flashes. And yesterday I noticed the wings of the feathers of the zephyr glider skin are invisible.  All other gliders are ok, it looks very strange because the trails look like they're coming from thin air.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, Donari.5237 said:

I haven't had stutter but I do get a sort of clear ripple across my screen when panning the camera now.  Also a few times while playing GW2 -- and not while doing anything else -- my computer's fan has gone into jet engine mode, which I don't recall it doing until this past week or two.  I would like my computer to last another year at least, so I'm slightly (very slightly) concerned.

That might be screen tearing. It's caused by having a high refresh rate monitor and lower framerates within the game. Try Vertical Sync, if you haven't already. This causes the monitor and your in-game FPS to attempt synchronization. It might help with that.

For the fans, DX11 uses multithreading. This can let the CPU do more work. Might be worth checking those CPU temperatures. If those are fine, it could be your fan settings. Sometimes fans have very weird speed curves set to them by default. I once had a fan curve that had a huge spike up to near 100% speed at a low heat threshold.

Edited by Quench.7091
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 1

Have you tried changing any settings and seeing if it affects it? This might help narrow down the issue. For example try changing post processing level, does it still stutter? Continue the same approach with the other graphics settings. It might be a combination of settings which is harder to track down.

12 hours ago, Quench.7091 said:

For the fans, DX11 uses multithreading. This can let the CPU do more work. 

i am glad they are implementing DX11 and working towards using more of its features so i am hopeful. However i will say that on my machine i7-8750H with a GTX1060 , DX11 is not any better (about the same) than using DX9 with the d912pxy which i have been using for a long time now. While DX11 was in beta and had lots of crashes, the d912pxy was a much safer option when doing meta events etc. 

Even in DX11 my GPU is not being stressed at all. 

• Confused 1

On 5/19/2022 at 8:56 PM, Quench.7091 said:

That might be screen tearing. It's caused by having a high refresh rate monitor and lower framerates within the game. Try Vertical Sync, if you haven't already. This causes the monitor and your in-game FPS to attempt synchronization. It might help with that.

For the fans, DX11 uses multithreading. This can let the CPU do more work. Might be worth checking those CPU temperatures. If those are fine, it could be your fan settings. Sometimes fans have very weird speed curves set to them by default. I once had a fan curve that had a huge spike up to near 100% speed at a low heat threshold.

I have tried the Vertical Sync.  Definitely stopped the screen tearing, many thanks.  However, it both caps me around 30 fps and makes things feel sludgy -- I can't get as rapid camera pans and almost feel like I'm running more slowly too, which obviously is not the case.  So I have to choose, spinny sensitive camera with screen ripples, or mired in tar but smooth views.

• Like 2

29 minutes ago, Donari.5237 said:

I have tried the Vertical Sync.  Definitely stopped the screen tearing, many thanks.  However, it both caps me around 30 fps and makes things feel sludgy -- I can't get as rapid camera pans and almost feel like I'm running more slowly too, which obviously is not the case.  So I have to choose, spinny sensitive camera with screen ripples, or mired in tar but smooth views.

The feature should be capping to what it can do with your monitor specs, which can result in artificially lower FPS. Do you happen to have a monitor with lower refresh rates? If not, it could be that you are using generic monitor drivers and aren't getting the results you would want. You can check this by going to Device Manager in Windows.

To install a new driver, go to the website of your monitor's brand and find the support or drivers section. Input your device model ID, which is often on a sticker on the back of a monitor. Grab the driver from the support page, then go to Device Manager. Right click on the driver you want to replace and click "Update Drivers." Click "Browse my computer for drivers." Select the driver that you have downloaded, then continue with the prompts. The monitor drivers should then be installed.

Windows sometimes bugs out if the old drivers remain, so it's appropriate to remove them. Go to "View" in Device manager and select "Show hidden devices." Go to the monitor section and remove the greyed out monitor drivers that are not in use.

For Windows 10, go to Start Menu -> "Settings" -> "System" -> "Display" -> "Advanced display settings" and change the Refresh Rate to your monitor's maximum rate or less. This last step will allow GW2 and your monitor to work at their best.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

16 minutes ago, Quench.7091 said:

The feature should be capping to what it can do with your monitor specs, which can result in artificially lower FPS. Do you happen to have a monitor with lower refresh rates? If not, it could be that you are using generic monitor drivers and aren't getting the results you would want. You can check this by going to Device Manager in Windows.

To install a new driver, go to the website of your monitor's brand and find the support or drivers section. Input your device model ID, which is often on a sticker on the back of a monitor. Grab the driver from the support page, then go to Device Manager. Right click on the driver you want to replace and click "Update Drivers." Click "Browse my computer for drivers." Select the driver that you have downloaded, then continue with the prompts. The monitor drivers should then be installed.

Windows sometimes bugs out if the old drivers remain, so it's appropriate to remove them. Go to "View" in Device manager and select "Show hidden devices." Go to the monitor section and remove the greyed out monitor drivers that are not in use.

For Windows 10, go to Start Menu -> "Settings" -> "System" -> "Display" -> "Advanced display settings" and change the Refresh Rate to your monitor's maximum rate or less. This last step will allow GW2 and your monitor to work at their best.

Thank you!  I will work on that soonish (a bit late at night for me to concentrate).  It's a reasonably nice Samsung, 4K, bought in 2020, so it should be able to handle stuff.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

5 minutes ago, Donari.5237 said:

Thank you!  I will work on that soonish (a bit late at night for me to concentrate).  It's a reasonably nice Samsung, 4K, bought in 2020, so it should be able to handle stuff.

No problem! Monitors are plug and play, thanks to the generic drivers, so people often overlook the specialized drivers that come with the additional refresh rate settings. If you have a 144hz monitor, Vertical Sync in GW2 should have a 144 FPS refresh rate cap.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 5/20/2022 at 8:36 AM, Tiamat.8254 said:

Have you tried changing any settings and seeing if it affects it? This might help narrow down the issue. For example try changing post processing level, does it still stutter? Continue the same approach with the other graphics settings. It might be a combination of settings which is harder to track down.

everything is low setting in graphics, since it loaded faster for me

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

On 5/19/2022 at 4:06 PM, Saniyah.1984 said:

I tried the Dx11 setting today. its said my fps is the same but the game felt stuttery and color saturation seems very high

I forgot about this, but one thing they mentioned on May 9th was that all DX11 resolution modes have been adjusted. The DX11 client does not gain any heavy performance benefit from full screen mode, so they made all of the full screen modes into Windowed Fullscreen modes of differing resolutions. This lead them to change "Full-Screen Gamma" into something that works in all resolution modes as a filter. The DX11 and the DX9 gamma sliders were said to have differences in their sensitivity. This might be the cause to the color saturation you are experiencing.

Try adjusting "Full-Screen Gamma." The default value of the slider should be 1, if you want to try adjusting from there.

Edited by Quench.7091

On 5/20/2022 at 6:06 AM, Saniyah.1984 said:

I tried the Dx11 setting today. its said my fps is the same but the game felt stuttery and color saturation seems very high

Agreed its really stuttery and and bad fps for me on dx11 rx580 8gb i hope they never disable dx9.

• Like 2
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1